Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah S;G's ending is so strong I've immediately regarded any of the extras/sequels/spin-offs with intense suspicion because why risk ruining that ending?

I remember liking C;H well enough outside of that final chapter, but man was that final chapter bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

My logic is that even if 0's not as good, it doesn't retroactively make the original worse, and I like those characters.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I agree entirely. It's similar to how the Matrix movies went, the first was great but the next two being as silly as they are didn't make the first one worse.

However, I'm going to bitch some more about Grisaia. Not only is The Labyrinth of Grisaia much shorter than The Fruit of Grisaia, they've already started selling extra bits. Two hours at £5/$7. A massive bloody rip off if you ask me.

Labyrinth not only did get a hamfisted and edgy extended flashback sequence, followed by the absolute corniest and most predictable ending, it also did the standard All-Ages edition lazy writing of simply cutting out entirely any sex scenes, and as nothing is explicit there are a lot of implications that are frankly disgusting. Avoid at all costs.

For those who want to know what I mean, it's implied that the main character slept with his adoptive parents. The ones who took him in at 12. And he was sent to terrorist school, drugged and made to wear women's clothing to assassinations. I want my money back.

Don't. Buy. Grisaia.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I agree entirely. It's similar to how the Matrix movies went, the first was great but the next two being as silly as they are didn't make the first one worse.

However, I'm going to bitch some more about Grisaia. Not only is The Labyrinth of Grisaia much shorter than The Fruit of Grisaia, they've already started selling extra bits. Two hours at £5/$7. A massive bloody rip off if you ask me.

Labyrinth not only did get a hamfisted and edgy extended flashback sequence, followed by the absolute corniest and most predictable ending, it also did the standard All-Ages edition lazy writing of simply cutting out entirely any sex scenes, and as nothing is explicit there are a lot of implications that are frankly disgusting. Avoid at all costs.

For those who want to know what I mean, it's implied that the main character slept with his adoptive parents. The ones who took him in at 12. And he was sent to terrorist school, drugged and made to wear women's clothing to assassinations. I want my money back.

Don't. Buy. Grisaia.

Then you probably wouldn't have liked the removed scene where his actual blood-related sister gives him a blowjob huh?

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
I'm still going through, I'm guessing the common route of the first Grisaia, and Christ. Every scene is literally the formula: Open with witticism or weird general life observation by main character, proceed to 15 minutes of wacky wacky scenario of the day.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The first grisaia is legitimately the funniest visual novel I have ever played. I found it absolutely hilarious, so I'll always have a soft spot for that series.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah, the first was great. Shame the follow up is just awful in every way.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The follow up is actually a really interesting exploration of the backstory that they only lightly touched upon in the first game, and the after stories are a return to the goodness of the first game's common route for the most part. There's some typical Japanese VN weirdness in it, all of which was hinted at in the first game itself, and it's still basically the same Grisaia that got massively popular here before.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

i played steins;gate and stopped playing after the lukako ending and i don't regret a thing

Your loss mate.

That ending sucked rear end though.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Yeah I kind of consider Lukako to be the "flaw" in S;G as much as there is one. I guess it was supposed to be comic relief but ???

On my first playthrough I also could've sworn Faris's ending was a traditional bad end.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you really missed the actual best part of the game

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The first grisaia is legitimately the funniest visual novel I have ever played. I found it absolutely hilarious, so I'll always have a soft spot for that series.

I do like the characters so far, which can be pretty indicative of whether I'll enjoy the series or not. Just wish they wouldn't be so blatantly formulaic with nonstop filler episodes. I mean I've just gotten to the first choice branch after X hours and it's really jarring, like 'Okay, now the events coming up might actually matter???'

(Maybe I'm being harsh, but it just feels like lazy writing. Like they said, okay we've got our plotlines set up. How do we pad out the beginning so that it doesn't take less than several hours to get through?)

Shark Tower fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 20, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Never got the love for the first Grisaia to be honest. When it tries to be funny it usually worked but all of the serious bits, especially the stuff after the common route was over, was just unbelievably boring.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I didn't hate Grisaia the first, but it felt like there wasn't actually a point to the thing. It only existed for slice-of-life and sequel setups. To be fair stuff like Amane's route actually did make me kind of interested in the sequel, but only enough to retroactively sour the slice-of-life parts for me :v:
The protagonist is good when he is trying to be funny, even if he doesn't land the joke. But when he is being edgy it's unbearable.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah I forgot about all of the "Man, women! :rolleyes:" bits of "comedy" from the first game too, that got old pretty drat fast.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

alcharagia posted:

i played steins;gate and stopped playing after the lukako ending and i don't regret a thing

Darn. I found that it really picked up after him and Farris.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about all of the "Man, women! :rolleyes:" bits of "comedy" from the first game too, that got old pretty drat fast.
To be fair, there's a scene where the principal explicitly calls him out on his hosed up opinions on women.

On the other hand, you still spend the entire game with the dude.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I was put off by Higurashi's endless stream of zany wackiness, but I'm liking Umineko after finishing the first story.

I have some idea of how the murders might have been committed, but it's not fleshed out enough that I'd feel comfortable putting it forward (it's also extremely lazy). No idea who actually did it or why. Am I supposed to have figured something out?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Heavy neutrino posted:

I was put off by Higurashi's endless stream of zany wackiness, but I'm liking Umineko after finishing the first story.

I have some idea of how the murders might have been committed, but it's not fleshed out enough that I'd feel comfortable putting it forward (it's also extremely lazy). No idea who actually did it or why. Am I supposed to have figured something out?

It's theoretically possible to figure it out (one guy famously did after spending a shitload of time theorycrafting between episodes 1 and 2), but you aren't really expected to have done so yet.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You should be thinking about it but you don't need to have worked anything out. I guess you theoretically can solve most of the mysteries from episode one but you'd need to approach it with a pretty unusual mindset.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 23, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Heavy neutrino posted:

As an aside if you've gotten through first two chapters of Higurashi the antics are the start are kind of over, all of the chapters after that get into the serious business stuff a lot earlier. That's kind of why I feel in some ways Tatarigoroshi is the real start of Higurashi, since it is such a bleak chapter and the story is sort of stuck in that mode for the most part for the whole rest of the way. They'll still have their sort of lighter intros in each chapter but they are nowhere near to the extent of Onikakushi's and such.

There has been some noise as of late about a PS3 graphics patch for Tatarigoroshi, so I bet that will be surfacing sooner rather than later.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Heavy neutrino posted:

it's nowhere near as dumb as the fact that some people think ryukishi is actively lying about the solution to the mystery in tyool 2016 so i want to know what your theory is

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 23, 2016

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Well, I can't even make it work until I get more information, but it's something like this: The story tries to put a lot of constraints on your reasoning by constructing these nice closed room murders, explaining who does and doesn't have an alibi, and explaining who does and doesn't have keys, but I feel like it's possible to significantly break out of it, in one way: the servants have the keys. They're also unfailingly loyal to the head of the family, possibly without regard for their own lives (they call themselves furniture and such). Assuming that someone can really take over the head of the family by solving the riddle of the portrait, they would gain the servants' allegiance. If that person then decided to go off and murder their family (for a larger inheritance? I dunno), any alibi confirmed by a servant is void, and any servant left without an alibi is a possible tool for constructing the closed rooms. It kind of falls apart when you start going through the family members and trying to find who solved the riddle, and I guess it's hard to find a motive -- there's money problems and the inheritance but they don't seem to hate each other to death -- but it seems like a good start for figuring out mechanically how to deal with these closed rooms. Or it's just my lazy brain trying to slack off of doing actual hard thinking.

The reason I can't make it work is that my first guess was that the culprit was one of the people who died on the first twilight -- faking their death at this point would have let them move around killing people with the help of servants easily, especially after grabbing Shannon's key. It fell apart when I remembered that it was Eva and Hideyoshi who checked the bodies to make sure they were dead, and they have no reason to lie. Oh well.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 23, 2016

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

yeah higurashi definitely frontloads the zany antics to an offputting degree. the first time i played it i was pretty impatient for the plot to start. especially in the first chapter when you havent gotten used to the terrible sprites or heard most of the good music yet

Stexils fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 23, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the zany antics are good and important

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

Well, I can't even make it work until I get more information, but it's something like this:
Those seem like sensible thoughts to be having at that stage. I hope you enjoy the second chapter.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

lets hang out posted:

the zany antics are good and important

Agreed, without some antics then you won't get attached to the characters, nor will any setup be possible for the bad things that may transpire. The two halves make the whole. There are probably also vital clues hidden in the antics, but I'm too dumb to figure it out at this stage.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I like Umineko more in that sense because he replaces zany antics for character building with really nice emotional family scenes. Umineko was leaps and bounds better at making me really, really invested in these characters making it through. I started out not liking a lot of the cast, especially most of the adults, but as the story developed and it showed more of their lives and how they dealt with each other normally I really came to care for each one of them. Even the characters I still disliked I could see where they were coming from and the factors in their life that made them act the way they did. Ryukishi definitely refined his ability to make endearing characters that the player wants to root for between Higurashi and Umineko. Not that Higurashi did it bad. Umineko just did it better.

Anyone tried out Nurse Love Addiction yet? It's a yuri nurse VN on Steam. It's a little spendy but I think it should be worth it. I played the 1st game in the series on PSP and it was great. Not just the yuri and really charming art but actually the nursing stuff itself. They got actual nurses to come sit in on all the storyboarding and it was based on their tales of what being a nurse in Japan is actually like. It gets so in-depth you'd almost think it was meant to be fetish-y except the nursing scenes are very non-sexual and are treated very seriously.

I don't know how the sequel is but if it's the same team I can't imagine it being too bad. I'm curious to see what people think. Too bad they couldn't release the first one but it was probably cut because of the ages of some of the characters, I would guess.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I really enjoyed Fata Morgana. I found it gripping throughout and the art and music were consistently very good. With regards to the debate a few pages back I think thereare some interesting comparisons to be drawn with Umineko but I'll gather my thoughts on that later.

I do think it used the medium very well. For example the side-on sprites when you're just watching the story changing to face-on and corner sprites when you become an active participant.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah S;G's ending is so strong I've immediately regarded any of the extras/sequels/spin-offs with intense suspicion because why risk ruining that ending?

0 won't ruin the ending.

(minor spoiler) as the name implies, it's a sort of prequel

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I really enjoyed Fata Morgana. I found it gripping throughout and the art and music were consistently very good. With regards to the debate a few pages back I think thereare some interesting comparisons to be drawn with Umineko but I'll gather my thoughts on that later.

I do think it used the medium very well. For example the side-on sprites when you're just watching the story changing to face-on and corner sprites when you become an active participant.

I'm curious about FM but is there any violence/gore for the horror stories? Not a huge fan since I played parts of Umineko before. I did try the FM demo too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There is, the warning at the start isn't messing around. There are some pretty distressing sections too so it may not be for everyone.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Agreed, without some antics then you won't get attached to the characters, nor will any setup be possible for the bad things that may transpire. The two halves make the whole. There are probably also vital clues hidden in the antics, but I'm too dumb to figure it out at this stage.

obviously the story needs setup, it just goes on too long

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

There is, the warning at the start isn't messing around. There are some pretty distressing sections too so it may not be for everyone.

fata morgana also gets more, um, realistic with its abuses than for example umineko's candy corpses

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Alright :smith:

The search continues for a new VN...

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Getsuya posted:

Anyone tried out Nurse Love Addiction yet? It's a yuri nurse VN on Steam. It's a little spendy but I think it should be worth it. I played the 1st game in the series on PSP and it was great. Not just the yuri and really charming art but actually the nursing stuff itself. They got actual nurses to come sit in on all the storyboarding and it was based on their tales of what being a nurse in Japan is actually like. It gets so in-depth you'd almost think it was meant to be fetish-y except the nursing scenes are very non-sexual and are treated very seriously.

I don't know how the sequel is but if it's the same team I can't imagine it being too bad. I'm curious to see what people think. Too bad they couldn't release the first one but it was probably cut because of the ages of some of the characters, I would guess.

I haven't got that far into it, but I'm a couple of hours in and I'm liking the characters so far, and the quality of the translation seems pretty good too. One thing that people are likely to find offputting is that one of the four romance options is your ~non-blood-related~ sister. I mean, you can just not do that path but it's still there.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Getsuya posted:

I bought it when it came out, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

It's a good thing you mentioned it before, because I definitely would have assumed it was gross otherwise.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 24, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Update: I played a bit of it tonight. It's pretty good.

So far the main character seems to be a complete fuckup with no social or physical graces, without being smart enough to be called a nerd. Goons would find her very relatable.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

In ZTD where do I get the password for the computer in Force:Quit Q? It's the only open fragment I haven't completed and I've seen five endings so far six if you count Perceptive End, which....what the hell was that? so I'm pretty sure that I should know it already but the only eight digit numbers I can think of are the birthday and the date of the Free the Soul meeting and neither work?

E: nvm, figured it out, was missing some execution fragments.

E: Wow. That...was pretty dumb.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

Update: I played a bit of it tonight. It's pretty good.

So far the main character seems to be a complete fuckup with no social or physical graces, without being smart enough to be called a nerd. Goons would find her very relatable.

The main character in the first one was a bit like that too, with her good points basically being 1. she was really sincere about caring for the patients despite all her clumsiness and 2. she was good with kids.