Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If nothing else Timothy Dalton has one of the best villain deaths ever in that movie. Going out laughing like a madman, wearing a tuxedo, and flying off of a zeppelin with a jetpack is a better death than any of us will get.

Also his last words are amazing, because he says "I'm going to miss Hollywood." and then when he crashes he literally misses the Hollywood part of the sign and blows up the "land" part instead :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The movie might be bad (I haven't seen it since I was a kid) but the world is goddamn incredible. I have so many vivid images in my head from that movie. I'd love a MCU style reboot that gets it done right.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That's no coincidence, they were both directed by the same guy. Joe Johnston actually got the gig on Captain America: The First Avenger in part due to his work on The Rocketeer.

that's why I recommended it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I got to see The Rocketeer in the theater when I was 7. It was awesome, especially at that impressionable age. That's one reason why I got more interested in classic film.

The one part I remember being terrifying was when the guy in the hospital gets mangled by not-Rondo Hatton.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
I guess it's one of those rose tinted glasses things but I enjoy The Rocketeer for all it's flaws. It falls into my guilty pleasure category along with MOTU, Street Fighter, Dick Tracey etc. I won't go on.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Egbert Souse posted:

I got to see The Rocketeer in the theater when I was 7. It was awesome, especially at that impressionable age. That's one reason why I got more interested in classic film.

The one part I remember being terrifying was when the guy in the hospital gets mangled by not-Rondo Hatton.

The newsreel scared the poo poo out of me around that age.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MisterGBH posted:

It falls into my guilty pleasure category along with ... Dick Tracey etc.
Well now me & you are gonna fight, buddy. Dick Tracy is a legit stone-cold good movie and classic. It's also probably got the best production design of any movie in the 90s, including Jurassic Park

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Skwirl posted:

The clothing isn't as nice as you're looking for but Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is the epitome of dialogue as bloodsport.

:drat:

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Does China have a limit on how many foreign movies can be released there on DVD or VOD? For example, if someone on China wanted to see a movie that wasn't released theatrically, like Deadpool, could they do so by legal means or would they need to resort to piracy?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't think many Chinese people see it as 'resorting' as the black market for movies there is huge and part of life. When you have people pressing silver disc versions of pirate movies to sell on the streets for cheap without anyone really caring, the onus is on the industry to counter it. Hence why they get a lot of VOD stuff early now (and why it gets pirated straight away!)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I've heard there's a limit on foreign productions in cinemas, hence some recent blockbusters have been co-produced by Chinese companies. I dunno the exact limits and numbers though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There is a quota, currently set at 34 films, of foreign-produced films that can be distributed in China. (I just learned this tidbit: at least 14 of those must be shown in IMAX or 3D formats!) In addition, foreign films cannot take up more than 1/3 of the annual running time in a given theater. The treaties that govern this relationship are up for renegotiation next year.

Coproductions are indeed a way to get around this. If there is at least one scene filmed in China or one Chinese actor in a major role, and more than 33% of the investment comes from Chinese firms, and the film portrays China in a positive light, then it can circumvent the quota.

Also, there is almost no legitimate physical home video market because of piracy, so they just skipped to online streaming.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 26, 2016

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
I saw The Lobster a few months ago and thought it was dreadful, just joyless and dreary. The premise seemed promising but it really didn't work for me. Did I miss the brilliance?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Joyless feels like an odd complaint to me, since I thought it worked best as a comedy

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't think many Chinese people see it as 'resorting' as the black market for movies there is huge and part of life. When you have people pressing silver disc versions of pirate movies to sell on the streets for cheap without anyone really caring, the onus is on the industry to counter it. Hence why they get a lot of VOD stuff early now (and why it gets pirated straight away!)

This has also been a thing in the PC game market for years. In order to compete with pirates publishers in those areas have had to drop their prices to rock bottom. The side effect of this created a grey market in the West for those keys as they were the same games, in English, just a whole lot cheaper.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

morestuff posted:

Joyless feels like an odd complaint to me, since I thought it worked best as a comedy
I think the absurdity draws from the gap between the mirthlessness of Lanthimos's characters and how an audience thinks real people would act.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
In Die Hard, why were the cops portrayed as incompetent and cowardly? Like when the assistant chief just totally disregards the inside information John Mcclane is feeding him, or the FBI guys being totally cool with killing a bunch of hostages as collateral damage, or when the SWAT team is charging through the bushes and one of them says "ow!" in a pussy voice when he gets caught with a thorn. I don't remember this type of thing being a thing in 80s action movies, which are more typically anti-bureaucracy but pro-cop.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The whole conceit is that John McClane is a tough street-smart New York cop who knows how to deal with these thugs over the froofy do-nothing LAPD.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

exquisite tea posted:

The whole conceit is that John McClane is a tough street-smart New York cop who knows how to deal with these thugs over the froofy do-nothing LAPD.

That makes a lot of sense.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

dokmo posted:

the FBI guys being totally cool with killing a bunch of hostages as collateral damage

Just like fuckin' Saigon, hey, Slick?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Parachute posted:

Just like fuckin' Saigon, hey, Slick?

I was twelve, you prick.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 26, 2016

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

In Die Hard, why were the cops portrayed as incompetent and cowardly? Like when the assistant chief just totally disregards the inside information John Mcclane is feeding him, or the FBI guys being totally cool with killing a bunch of hostages as collateral damage, or when the SWAT team is charging through the bushes and one of them says "ow!" in a pussy voice when he gets caught with a thorn. I don't remember this type of thing being a thing in 80s action movies, which are more typically anti-bureaucracy but pro-cop.

Neoconservatives would have you believe that the private sector (off duty out of jurisdiction cops included) always handle everything more efficiently, and not without a healthy dose of balding middle aged panache.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
After watching People vs OJ, the recent ESPN doco, the LA episode of Noisey and a bunch of other stuff that did a good job of portraying the the racial climate between the cops and blacks in the 80's and 90's in LA I have a question.

What are some good movies that were made around the time that reflect this tension and image of the cops without it being the focus of the film? Like, I don't want a Do The Right Thing or something that specifically focuses on it, but just some movies that involved white people in LA or a story about an LA cop that operate in a movie world shaped by the climate of the time without it being the specific focus.

To put it another way, I'm interested in seeing how Hollywood reacted at the time and whether the values/tone/stories that were told around that time differed from the movies that came before or after this period. Kind of like the "Post 9/11" shift in film making but for the early 90's instead.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 27, 2016

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Falling Down?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

xcore posted:

After watching People vs OJ, the recent ESPN doco, the LA episode of Noisey and a bunch of other stuff that did a good job of portraying the the racial climate between the cops and blacks in the 80's and 90's in LA I have a question.

What are some good movies that were made around the time that reflect this tension and image of the cops without it being the focus of the film? Like, I don't want a Do The Right Thing or something that specifically focuses on it, but just some movies that involved white people in LA or a story about an LA cop that operate in a movie world shaped by the climate of the time without it being the specific focus.

To put it another way, I'm interested in seeing how Hollywood reacted at the time and whether the values/tone/stories that were told around that time differed from the movies that came before or after this period. Kind of like the "Post 9/11" shift in film making but for the early 90's instead.

Strange Days is a cyberpunk sci-fi movie from 1995 about technology that lets you experience peoples' memories first-hand whose plot hinges on a Rodney King-esque recording of racially-motivated police abuse that is being covered up and the general tension of that era.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

xcore posted:

I mean, really, Do the Right Thing isn't focused on cops. But in terms of other movies, you could check out Magnolia, Jackie Brown, They Live, Beverly Hills Cop, Die Hard, and Lethal Weapon.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

Strange Days is a cyberpunk sci-fi movie from 1995 about technology that lets you experience peoples' memories first-hand whose plot hinges on a Rodney King-esque recording of racially-motivated police abuse that is being covered up and the general tension of that era.

It's also directed by Kathryn "Zero Dark Thirty" Bigelow, and has the 2nd greatest trailer of all time, after Comedian/

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I mean, really, Do the Right Thing isn't focused on cops.

I know, but it's directly related to the plight of the black person which wasn't what I was after. I was more interested in how filmmaking in general changed in tone/values from what it was previously, or what it has become since.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I remember finding the Stallone thriller Daylight as having a surprising amount of racial/class tension in it, and at the end there's a big celebratory shot of the Twin Towers.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

morestuff posted:

I read it as a comedy as well, just not a very funny one.

Coaaab posted:

I think the absurdity draws from the gap between the mirthlessness of Lanthimos's characters and how an audience thinks real people would act.

Yes, it's absurd. I was just wondering if anyone enjoyed watching it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I guffawed a lot during the first half and really enjoyed a couple of scenes in the second half (namely the boat raid scene and the making-out scene). The bit where he kicks the girl in the leg cracked me up. "Oww!"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Grand Canyon touches on some LA racial issues

Otherwise, I highly recommend Oscar-winner Crash for an insightful and subtle examination of race. /sarcasm

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I guffawed a lot during the first half and really enjoyed a couple of scenes in the second half (namely the boat raid scene and the making-out scene). The bit where he kicks the girl in the leg cracked me up. "Oww!"

The making out scene was pretty good, as well as Farrell's expressions afterwards as the parents started back up with the music. I also enjoyed Weisz' expressions throughout the movie.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

xcore posted:

I know, but it's directly related to the plight of the black person which wasn't what I was after. I was more interested in how filmmaking in general changed in tone/values from what it was previously, or what it has become since.

I think The Chase fits what you're looking for, it's an LA cop highway pursuit comedy that interestingly came out a few months before the OJ white bronco chase.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I think The Chase fits what you're looking for, it's an LA cop highway pursuit comedy that interestingly came out a few months before the OJ white bronco chase.

That's the movie where Charlie Sheen fucks Kristy Swanson while driving on the freeway, right?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 27, 2016

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Skwirl posted:

That's the movie where Charlie Sheen fucks Kristy Swanson while driving on the freeway, right?

Yeah, while being chased down by Flea, Anthony Kiedis, and Henry Rollins.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

xcore posted:

LA Confidential is a period piece but done with late 90's sensibilities.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

effectual posted:

LA Confidential is a period piece but done with late 90's sensibilities.
I would love to hear you expand on this.

I've only seen it the once, and it's been awhile, but I remember is having pretty period sensibilities. But I wasn't really being observant about that sort of thing whne I watched it, either. I really need to watch it again.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Two quick terminology questions:
Is there a proper term for, like, a subliminal cut? Where it cuts to something for one frame and then back/to something else? Like when the flashlight shines at the camera in Danny Boyle's Sunshine and you see images of the dead crew.
And what about when the camera's rotated through 90 degrees, so, for example, someone lying on a bed is now vertical in the frame? It's not really a Dutch angle, because it's still square-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I have a terminology question too, kinda movie related but also music related.

You know that creepy music effect in so many horror movies where lots of violin strings are plucked in discordant/atonal ways and it's like the aural version of pins and needles or goosebumps forming and cold raindrops falling all at once? It gets louder and louder as a creepy thing unfolds on screen. I've seen it so many times in movies and on tv (South Park even used it once).

What's that called? I've heard the word pizzicato but I don't think that's it exactly. Also what was the first movie to use it?