Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
New track with guest vocals by Dev.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2016/04/04/haunted-shores-featuring-devin-townsend/

I'm digging it. It's haunted shores (Periphery side project) Sound like it could of come right off of Deconstruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Remember when Dev said he was writing a book? It's been announced!

It's called Only Half There, and it comes with some previously-unseen photos and a CD of new recordings called Iceland. There's also a limited-to-300 "Signature Edition" that's signed, stuffed in a big fancy box, and also includes a cassette tape of unreleased demos called Ancient and some prints of Dev's cartoon doodles.

The site has pre-order links and a sample of the Iceland version of Let It Roll.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
god drat it, I need to get a job so I can pre-order this. Call back you drat universities!!

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Wow, I want one of those.

It'll be interesting to hear the new album too, RVP seems to be really loving the rehearse/record cycle at the moment which is usually a good sign.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Even Devin himself seems really excited, he is gushing on Twitter about how right and good it all feels. Usually he is talking about how forced it is and how tired he feels.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I watched one of the Periscopes before they were going to rehearse and he said something about "sounding like Ocean Machine" which I can only hope.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
how the gently caress does one get a bluray of that ziltoid royal albert hall show ? The blurays on amazon are region encoded for europe. The cmdistro site states its sold out. Can't even find a torrent.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

jonathan posted:

how the gently caress does one get a bluray of that ziltoid royal albert hall show ? The blurays on amazon are region encoded for europe. The cmdistro site states its sold out. Can't even find a torrent.

CMDistro still has the more expensive BR + Artbook + 3CD + 2DVD set available

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sweet. I've been wanting to see BtB&M

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Dev keeps playing bigger places in NYC every time I see him, very cool

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

axleblaze posted:

holy poo poo this is going to own so hard

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
No Denver... what a stinker

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
also:

BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME will perform its most recent album, "Coma Ecliptic", in its entirety on this tour.

:getin:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I just spun "City" for the first time in like a decade and "All Hail the New Flesh" is still one of the greatest songs ever recorded

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
why can't I find regular tickets for the tour, why is every ticket 140 bucks ffs. is regular tickets even available yet?

Chewybiteems
Mar 16, 2009

stab posted:

why can't I find regular tickets for the tour, why is every ticket 140 bucks ffs. is regular tickets even available yet?

general admission goes on sale 5/20. I would like to add that I can barely put into words how stoked I am about it.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Chewybiteems posted:

general admission goes on sale 5/20. I would like to add that I can barely put into words how stoked I am about it.

Lets aee if my wife and kid can stay out of the hospital this time!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

September 2nd

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
And some words:

The PR posted:

“Transcendence, like every record I’ve done prior, is an extension of what’s been going on in my world, represented in a new batch of songs. I’m 44 years old now, and this is where I have been over the past two years since Z2.”

The follow-up to 2014’s ‘Z2’ double-album (half of which was made up of the DTP full-length ‘Sky Blue’), sees the award-winning Townsend exploring a relatively new way of working, collaborating with the entire DTP band during the writing stages of the record.

“The result of this process is a record that I truly think the intention of is special. I ‘found’ gas to put into the tank and am glad I did. I think the intention, the theme, and the participation of everyone involved allows this album to act like a fulcrum between the past few years and what I intend to do next with the symphony. I am very proud of it and everyone involved.”

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

axleblaze posted:

Seeing them in Dallas when they come around, its been a while since I've seen BTBAM too, last time I saw them was with Cynic and Devin Townsend too hah. That was the first time I had heard DT and Cynic even, what an musically-opening experience for me.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Save Target As posted:

Seeing them in Dallas when they come around, its been a while since I've seen BTBAM too, last time I saw them was with Cynic and Devin Townsend too hah. That was the first time I had heard DT and Cynic even, what an musically-opening experience for me.
I'm going to this show. First time seeing DTP and first time seeing him in concert since SYL days.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wanna hear that lame radio friendly song he paid to make with the skunkworks guys that do all the lame nickelback poo poo he talked about.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

jonathan posted:

I wanna hear that lame radio friendly song he paid to make with the skunkworks guys that do all the lame nickelback poo poo he talked about.
Good news, Addicted is still in print

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You take that back :colbert:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Besides. Epicloud is still in print. ;)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Sounding pretty epic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gUZZFdjyxg

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

The video is gone :(

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

axleblaze posted:

Oh my god I'm so perpetually jealous of North America and the concerts you get. I need to find a way to get to one of these shows.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
New album is out September 2, apparently it's a done deal.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Awesome! He seems really excited about it. Grabbed a bunch of tickets for his March show next year as well. There's been very little in the way of studio footage in this process, he's kept it all very close to his chest - hopefully we can hear some new snippets soon...

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

henpod posted:

Awesome! He seems really excited about it. Grabbed a bunch of tickets for his March show next year as well.
Got me one for London. The fuckers wanted another £2.50 for "Service and Delivery Charges" (in addition to the booking fee), even if I print off the tickets myself, so I got them to post the ticket to me.

Glad I got a ticket, but going to be a long wait to the gig.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I didn't even get the option to print, I would prefer that, gently caress knows how I won't lose those tickets in the next 8 months or whatever.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Album is up for pre-order! I remember him saying that preorders are important, so I went ahead and grabbed the digipack which is pretty much a double album with a whole bunch of other demos. The stuff he cuts is usually pretty good anyway, so am looking forward 20 new songs! https://www.musicglue.com/devintownsend/.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Holy poo poo wait what

I just looked at the track listing

Is Devy doing a loving Ween cover on this record? Holy gently caress, my hypemeter just broke if that's the case

quote:

Tracklisting:

Side A

A Truth
A Stormbending
A Failure
A Secret Sciences

Side B

B Higher
B Stars
B Transcendence

Side C

A Offer Your Light
A From The Heart
A Transdermal Celebration

Side D

B Gump
B Loud

VVV oh jeez, I didn't even notice Truth at the top of the list, I am totally okay with the dude mining out his old records with this lineup.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 19, 2016

Duckwaffle
Nov 8, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

Holy poo poo wait what

I just looked at the track listing

Is Devy doing a loving Ween cover on this record? Holy gently caress, my hypemeter just broke if that's the case

Seems that way:

Recorded at The Armoury Studios in Vancouver, Canada with Townsend and Adam ‘Nolly’ Getgood (Periphery, Animals as Leaders), Transcendence sounds absolutely massive. From the moment ‘Truth’—a re-work from the Infinity album—monstrously blends into the soul-stirring ‘Stormbending’ to the undulating cool of mid-point jam ‘Secret Sciences’ and Ween cover ‘Transdermal Celebration’, Townsend and crew have engineered a modern-day classic. The sheer scale of tracks like ‘Failure’, ‘Higher’, and the majestic title track is at once daunting and inviting. Transcendence pulls the listener in like a movie score. It has the emotional heft of Rosenman’s Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home and the mega-riff power of Black-era Metallica.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Song lengths!

01. Truth [04:47]
02. Stormbending [05:22]
03. Failure [06:02]
04. Secret Sciences [07:28]
05. Higher [09:40]
06. Stars [04:18]
07. Transcendence [05:55]
08. Offer Your Light [03:58]
09. From The Heart [08:23]
10. Transdermal Celebration [08:26]

An extra minute on Truth, niiiice

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Oh my god EIGHT AND A HALF MINUTES OF TRANSDERMAL

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Just listened to that Ween song, sounds pretty good and I can imagine Devin covering it.

Waiting for this album with baited breath. He said its the next step from Sky Blue so I guess we are getting the pop metal stuff, which is fine but I hope its got some heavier stuff too! Perhaps in the bonus disk, as thats where he puts things which don't fit into the overall theme he's going for. Tracklisting for that is:

quote:

1 Gump
2 Celestial Signals (Demo)
3 Support The Cause (Demo)
4 Into The Sun (Demo)
5 Time Overload (Demo)
6 Lexus (Demo)
7 Farther On (Demo)
8 Victim (Demo)
9 Monkey Mind (Demo)
10 Canucklehead (Demo)
11 Loud

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I've found Epicloud-era Devin hard to listen to, but after seeing Truth as the first track on the new record I've kinda got my hopes up. Went back and listened through Infinity for the first time in a while, and holy poo poo that's a drat great album, I hope some of it rubs off on Transcendence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Some guy on the forums has heard the album and has this to say:

quote:

You're in for a treat. Got the promo yesterday and the first thing that I thought of: Terria 2.0.

After listening for 5 times I can say this is the best stuff Dev has released in ages. The forced heavyness of the previous mediocre albums is gone, mostly this is Terria / Synchestra kinda prog.

Inside Out still sends out lovely 256 kbps mp3 -promos, but it's still pretty obvious that letting the other guys to be part of the process and having Adam ‘Nolly’ Getgood in the studio with him is the best choice that Dev could make right now in his career. The over compressed 100 guitars in one song -sound is gone. Don't get me wrong, the trademark wall of sound is still present, but the sound on this record breathes. It's actually dynamic, mixed and mastered very well. Maybe the best sounding album the guy has ever made.

Like I said: Terria part 2. Hell yeah!

Looking forward to hearing how the production sounds. It's time to change up from the thick sounds to something more organic, hopefully. Terria is a good album, not a huge fan of proggy stuff in general but still very much looking forward to it. Seems that one song he recorded in two hours is on the main disk, which does sound Epicloud as hell but is nice enough I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QYMCotpZdc

• Locked thread