Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
i can't figure out how to
This poll is closed.
remove 69 3.49%
the 420 21.24%
poll 1488 75.27%
Total: 1977 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

thanks, this made me a Republican

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

UberJew posted:

you can only really combat racism by inoculating the young and hoping the next generation is less racist

Very bold assertion there

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
Or if I'm gonna stop being a duck about it. Social marginalization doesn't work if people can find their own community of like-minded dipshits to inoculate them against feeling ostracized.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i mean the key problem is that any coherent opposition to the current system would need to involve some actual, gasp, horror, marxism and that is absolutely not allowed to be discussed as a serious element of politics

fascism is and always has been a-ok though, so you get the incoherent opposition of le pen and trump instead

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Very bold assertion there

well you can combat it with fists and boots as well but that's part of the process of keeping their racism from going to the polls, it doesn't reduce the number of racists

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/mcpnews/status/755843501644886016

uh-oh

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

UberJew posted:

because the global financial crisis demonstrated that globalization hadn't done a drat thing to protect anybody against the inevitable disasters of the business cycle

in the developing world that meant food crises and revolutions

in the west we get global trumpism, a reversion to populist demagoguery and fascism because that is the only alternative perspective allowed as part of the acceptable dialogue

so are you advocating some form of marxism wherein one simply ignores the majority working class or what

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
wealth can buy an astonishing degree of separation from the rest of the world nowadays, that's probably not helping anything.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

so are you advocating some form of marxism wherein one simply ignores the majority working class or what

the working class is majority minority in the US

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm not advocating for anything

like everyone else i don't have a solution

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
which is why the emphasis on white working class rubs me the wrong way tbh

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

paranoid randroid posted:

shhh, you're torpedoing his narrative here

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

They probably prefer to be called middle class, though, and think of themselves as such as well.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

V. Illych L. posted:

white racists are not the revolutionary class

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

Aeryk posted:

wealth can buy an astonishing degree of separation from the rest of the world nowadays, that's probably not helping anything.

Do I hear a new reality TV show opportunity?

"Class Swap"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

which is why the emphasis on white working class rubs me the wrong way tbh

as if most of the people wringing their hands about the (white) working class have ever cared about or identified with the experiences of its large nonwhite contingent

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i have specific steps that would help, for example being an american imo the biggest disaster in need of a complete overhaul is the racist prison-industrial complex that exists to suppress the (as randroid mentioned) working class made up largely of people of color, but no i don't have a solution

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
little in the middle class but baby got proles

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
minimum income

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

idk why, but it seems like dnd has gotten a lot of use out of this word recently

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
oh my god becky look at her dialectic. she must be one of those marxists girlfriends

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

UberJew posted:

well you can combat it with fists and boots as well but that's part of the process of keeping their racism from going to the polls, it doesn't reduce the number of racists

See I don't want to sound like a Democrat here but I do think some level of experience and education influences the level of people's racism. Like, sensitivity training is a thing that (while very problematic) has opened some rear end in a top hat's eyes.

I haven't done much research on it though

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lotka Volterra posted:

idk why, but it seems like dnd has gotten a lot of use out of this word recently

optics

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

Kristov posted:

Or if I'm gonna stop being a duck about it. Social marginalization doesn't work if people can find their own community of like-minded dipshits to inoculate them against feeling ostracized.

These used to be called "suburbs" or "rural communities". Now it's called "4chan" and "stormfront reddit"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Kristov posted:

Do I hear a new reality TV show opportunity?

"Class Swap"

class to class

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

😑

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Lotka Volterra posted:

Lots of journalism majors having recently graduated and using the gap between graduation and employment to post on here.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i've seen some article at some point that puts this number at about 40% minority, which is a lot but not an outright majority unless one includes women as a minority which would be extremely iffy

at least this is true for some definitions of working class

regardless, even if it's true you can't really claim to be empowering the working class as such if you're empowering 50-60% of it at the expense of the rest of it, so the problem of the reactionary tendencies of the white working class has to be confronted somehow if one is to move ahead with any form of coherent politics rooted in a class analysis

mind you, this cuts both ways - one cannot move ahead with such politics without also dealing with the issues that are important to those other at least 40% of the group, i.e. various minority groups

this, of course, is not mentioning the drastically different demographics in many western countries

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Suddenly your ape hate makes sense.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

See I don't want to sound like a Democrat here but I do think some level of experience and education influences the level of people's racism. Like, sensitivity training is a thing that (while very problematic) has opened some rear end in a top hat's eyes.

how is sensitivity training a bad thing?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

That's teaching them that their racism is unacceptable in polite company and that they shouldn't express it in public. :lol: if you think that's going to impact their racially motivated political beliefs or stop them from reverting to form when they're in what they perceive as a 'safe space' for their racism

it is a positive though! stopping racists from espousing their views and harming people is a good thing

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
man is the only animal capable of embarrassment and gaming, but not both

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

one historic way of doing this, of course, is trying to build a non-ethnic class identity like they did in britain or the soviet union, but that obviously carries with it a host of its own problems, especially when central building blocs of those identities disintegrate or when unspoken assumptions like "wait black people aren't actually people are they" sneak in, re: my previous posts about ideological discipline

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Put 'Em on the Class, the lesser known follow up to Baby Got Proles

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Randler posted:

Lots of journalism majors having recently graduated and using the gap between graduation and employment to post on here.

ugh

ughhhhhhh

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
Forced desegregation.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

also one obvious post-modern critique of the "non-ethnic" class identity would be that such an identity would carry carry certain implicit ethnicities within itself, and that these must be challenged constantly, which would render the entire project self-defeating

a salient example of this: soviet russia

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
also id argue that actual (positive) experience is probably better than education, as education does little to humanize minority groups

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
Hire out of work minorities to follow around selected white people and snidely critique their behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lotka Volterra posted:

ugh

ughhhhhhh

winning the news cycle

• Locked thread