Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Keeshhound posted:

Frank, that is a polar bear.

Frank, no, that's a terrible idea, they're the only wholly carnivorous bears, it outweighs you by a factor of at least four.

It's going to eat you, Frank.

Its what he wants
Welcome Back Frank 4

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
And there is the "everyone has the same face" bit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Keeshhound posted:

Frank, that is a polar bear.

Frank, no, that's a terrible idea, they're the only wholly carnivorous bears, it outweighs you by a factor of at least four.

It's going to eat you, Frank.

To be fair, this is the Punisher, who has multiple stories where he tries to defeat Spiderman with brute force alone.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wade Wilson posted:

And there is the "everyone has the same face" bit.

Not the guy one the first panel of the second page!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

It all depends on if they're given the right motivation.

Hmm. The Russian can take a Punisher shot better than a polar bear?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Say Nothing posted:

Hmm. The Russian can take a Punisher shot better than a polar bear?

He caught that bear lacking.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Well sure, a polar bear can beat pretty much anything, with sufficient time to prepare.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
Fallen Rib

SiKboy posted:

Well sure, a polar bear can beat pretty much anything, with sufficient time to prepare.

Not melting ice-caps :(

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Madkal posted:

They could if they trained for a year in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber to raise their power level.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Madkal posted:

They sort of are. Loss of tradional habitats have caused polar bears to hunt further and further south, where they often encounter grizzlies. A few drinks and a nice evening later and we wind up with polar-grizzly hybrids; still fully carnivorous, but several hundred kilos heavier got that backwards; they're smaller than pure polar bears on average, but with longer claws and brown bear body shapes, making them better suited to hunting in non-arctic environments. All of which their new environment is absolutely not equipped to deal with.

So yeah, more problems for the future.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 19, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Pizzly Bears are badass, in an "oh my god, it's eating that man" kind of way.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Keeshhound posted:

They sort of are. Loss of tradional habitats have caused polar bears to hunt further and further south, where they often encounter grizzlies. A few drinks and a nice evening later and we wind up with polar-grizzly hybrids; still fully carnivorous, but several hundred kilos heavier got that backwards; they're smaller than pure polar bears on average, but with longer claws and brown bear body shapes, making them better suited to hunting in non-arctic environments. All of which their new environment is absolutely not equipped to deal with.

If you can't beat 'em, gently caress 'em! Then your children will conquer the world. What a beautiful lesson from mother nature.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Keeshhound posted:

Evolution isn't supposed to work that fast. Bears don't give a gently caress.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Evolution isn't supposed to work that fast.

Tell that to the High Evolutionary.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Keeshhound posted:

Can polar bears and grizzlies mate and produce viable offspring?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yes, Grolar bears are a thing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Skwirl posted:

Can polar bears and grizzlies mate and produce viable offspring?

Yeah this poster is not being hypothetical here, this has already happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly%E2%80%93polar_bear_hybrid

Has happened occasionally throughout history but happening more often recently, for obvious reasons.

e VV According to google yes the hybrids are fertile
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2010/05/pizzly_bears.html

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 20, 2016

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
but can the hybrids reproduce is what the other poster was asking

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

willus posted:

but can the hybrids reproduce is what the other poster was asking

I wasn't sure, but google produced this article which attests in passing that they can, before continuing to explain why some cross-species hybrids can produce fertile offspring and others can't. Apparently the divergence between bear species is recent enough that their genetics aren't different enough to prevent it.

So short answer, yes; pizzleys/growlers can have cubs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Everything posted above makes me very happy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pizzley and a Growler sounds like it should be some city's signature meal.

Probably a fat one, somewhere in the northeast. I'm feeling... Pennsylvania.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

A growler is a measurement of beer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I know, that's what you get with a pizzley. For serious drinkers only.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
do you mind nicking down to the brewery and picking me up a growler of their new pizzley on the way home, mate?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I learned everything I needed to know about Growlers from the OOTS thread where people discovered there was a prestige class where you could mind control people into being your followers by being really good at knowing stuff or making farting noises with your hands or jumping.
This thread just proves that some people in the real world have gone into this class.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Nah, that sounds British as gently caress.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

Nah, that sounds British as gently caress.

willus posted:

do you mind nicking down to the brewery and picking me up a growler of their new pizzley on the way home, mate?

:britain:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Grizzlar

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Speaking of gun beatings, don't piss off Gilad.

Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #9

That's some bad art there. Tottally stiff.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

the OOTS thread where people discovered there was a prestige class where you could mind control people into being your followers by being really good at knowing stuff or making farting noises with your hands or jumping.
What? Is this real, or just some labored interpretation of the wording of rules?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's just exploitation of 3.5e bonus and spell stacking to diplomance people into becoming your fanatical follower. Fully in accord with RAW, no need to twist the interpretation.

An offshoot of "I am the moon" "He is the moon" with some feature that let you sub any skill in for diplomacy.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Galvanik posted:

What? Is this real, or just some labored interpretation of the wording of rules?

goatface posted:

It's just exploitation of 3.5e bonus and spell stacking to diplomance people into becoming your fanatical follower. Fully in accord with RAW, no need to twist the interpretation.

An offshoot of "I am the moon" "He is the moon" with some feature that let you sub any skill in for diplomacy.
Yeah, the Jumplomancer. The Exemplar class gets a Persuasive Performance ability at level 5, which lets them use any skill in place of diplomacy for convincing people, so long as their performance is non-threatening and takes a minute or more, and a 150 Diplomacy check will convert anybody to your loyalest ally, so if you can get any skill pumped up that high, and Jump is the easiest, you can make so many friends.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Do you have to have, like, big tits or a nice rear end or something when you do the jumping magic? If not then that might be the game for me

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Flesh Forge posted:

Do you have to have, like, big tits or a nice rear end or something when you do the jumping magic? If not then that might be the game for me

Its not magic; people just really trust high jumpers in D&D.

And I imagine being able to jump hundreds of feet straight up would require some rockin' glutes.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Cryophage posted:

Its not magic; people just really trust high jumpers in D&D.

And I imagine being able to jump hundreds of feet straight up would require some rockin' glutes.
It's not just jumping, though, it's any skill, provided you can spend a minute demonstrating it without appearing threatening. You want to spend a minute spouting off about the Gods and why they're assholes, people will love you for your atheistic insight. You want to spend a minute rocking out, you'll get all the groupies. You want to spend a minute or three playing hide and seek or showing off your disguises, they'll follow you wherever you go, even if they can't see you. Jump is just the easiest skill to cheese like that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

And people say 3rd edition isn't busted.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lurdiak posted:

And people say 3rd edition isn't busted.

That's the "Marvel wants to kill the X-Men books to spite Fox" of Tabletop Gaming.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Jumplomancer is one of the only cheesy "stuff your DM will just handwave into not letting you do/uses spurious game logic to even work" builds that is actually funny.

I also recall there is also one that lets you make an infinitely high knowledge check by turning on a feedback loop of retributive damage effects on yourself, jumping off a cliff into a puddle, and then turning face up as a free action.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The Jumplomancer is one of the only cheesy "stuff your DM will just handwave into not letting you do/uses spurious game logic to even work" builds that is actually funny.

I also recall there is also one that lets you make an infinitely high knowledge check by turning on a feedback loop of retributive damage effects on yourself, jumping off a cliff into a puddle, and then turning face up as a free action.

If everybody's having fun, no harm done. (Hey, that rhymed.) If somebody is actually being an rear end in a top hat, the DM can just have Zeus (or whoever) strike them with lightning for being a cock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cryophage posted:

Something like that, yes

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

:D Ok so now I read all my spellbooks and have infinite spell ability
:nyd: Your infinite knowledge shines like a beacon... attracting a trio of illithids and their pet Intellect Devourers

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 27, 2016