Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

My company just sent out an internal memo warning people about the safety and security risks of playing pokemon go on company campuses and the comment section is just a bunch of people who are probably in their 50s rooting for team instinct and poo poo. What the gently caress is this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Vegastar posted:

Got it to load, looks like 3 step bug is still there. Sigh.

Pretty sure the 3 step bug is a server-side issue. It suddenly broke last week without an update or anything.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

When nobody wants to play this game, that is when you will be able to play this game.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Kwosge posted:

I wish you didn't have to go back to the gym to collect coins. I held a gym in an airport for a day and a half after I flew out. :(

You don't have to go back to the gym. You just click the button in the game from anywhere in the world.

showbiz_liz posted:

There's no way to know this for sure, but I strongly suspect that when you hatch a weaker pokemon from an egg, it's because you got that egg earlier in the game.

It worked that way in the beta. If you sort by recently caught, the one you hatch will show up in the list back when you caught it. If you only have 10 guys, it's easy to see the new one. If you have a ton, you can either check what you have with what you have entered in the calculator or you click people until you find one where you suddenly have a bunch of new candy.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

IncendiaC posted:

Pretty sure the 3 step bug is a server-side issue. It suddenly broke last week without an update or anything.

If that was the case, every one of the numerous mapping scripts would not function.

Friendly Lurker
Apr 7, 2012

IOIOIOIOIOIOIO

Dr. Poz posted:

Ok, I'll use fewer syllables.

Yes, it could be.

Well said.

Since I can't post about Pokemon Go while I can't login, let me bring up a decade old game that has gone through similar problems. In World of Warcraft, a death knight could cause the entire server to crash by using one of their moves. This was in beta, good for them, but seems like the same thing is happening with Go right now.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

IncendiaC posted:

Kyrosiris posted:

If that was the case, every one of the numerous mapping scripts would not function.
Someone on the dev reddit looked at the network traffic and saw that the 3 step and capture location map "bug" were due to the api key used by the game to update those being denied server side.

Map scripts work since you're using a personally generated api key.

vvv Probably/Possibly/Maybe/Who Knows? Either they disabled the key themselves for 'reasons' or they launched the most popular mobile game in the world with a GoogleMaps key that would cap out on api calls in less than a week.

Nill fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 20, 2016

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Did they not turn off the 3 step feature to reduce server requests so the game can run at all?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nill posted:

Someone on the dev reddit looked at the network traffic and saw that the 3 step and capture location map "bug" were due to the api key used by the game to update those being denied server side.

Map scripts work since you're using a personally generated api key.

Like... the google maps API key? Holy poo poo, that's hilarious/sad. :psyduck:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm not so sure about that. It LOOKS like the map script will basically query one location and see what pops up, then check a step away from that, and keep spiraling out. I think the game is only receiving data about what would actually be visible from your location and what's nearby, but not getting locations for the nearby ones. I can't tell how big each step is from the mapper though, so I could be wrong on that.

It also seems to sometimes miss things - though that may just be related to spawn times or being logged into the mapper from a different account than the actual game. But I saw a Clefairy and a couple of others nearby, and when I got there there was also a Mankey in the group that never showed up on the map. If it happened to be in a spot that was between two of the search spots, that could explain it.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

The app on your phone is basically a thin-client interface, but with fancy 3D and poo poo. It looks like a huge amount of the logic is handled on the server side. This is why the game shits itself in so many ways when the connection between the two is flaky. It's entirely possible, even likely, that when the app connects to the server on startup the server responds with commands to enable/disable various features. I wouldn't be surprised if there's already deactivated gameplay components in the client app that can be remotely enabled without needing to push an app update.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Local raido station is doing, "Real Live Pokémon GO!" starting tomorrow. Find Pickachu and Misty, and you get entered for a chance to win tickets to Universal Studios.

Also, I love when goons constantly bitch about a game, but keep playing it anyway. :allears:

FireWhizzle posted:

Something idiots worry about. :angel:

Nah. Just the spergiest of sperging min-maxers worry about.

FireWhizzle posted:

It stands for "Internal Values", which after resists are factored in, generally do piss all. Super spergs want that extra 0.0001 though.

Rafza posted:

internal values are hidden stats that make each pokemon unique

Individual Vales. Gosh! Get it right, nerds!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/07/japanese_launch_of_pokemon_go_delayed_due_to_mcdonalds_email_leak

The guys that said it's coming out in Japan says it's not coming out today because they broke the news

Yup. McDonald's Japan leaked the e-mail about it being released today, so the geniuses at Niantic decided to postpone it a day, because they're worried that the hype would have a negative impact on the servers. :downs:

Agoat posted:

I made a bingo sheet

Server Issues should be the Free Space in the middle. Also, missing the square for "I chose Team Harmony! LUGUIA IS BEST!!11"...

eeenmachine posted:

I've spent $40.

marshmonkey posted:

I've spent $20 so far.

You two are spending the money we've thrown at Nimblebit. :v:

Touchdown Boy posted:

Did they not turn off the 3 step feature to reduce server requests so the game can run at all?

Nope. That's an inetnet falshood. Check the post right above yours for the real reason.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Is the game taking a collective poo poo right now again? I connect every so often but the game freezes after I throw a ball at a Pokemon.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
making GBS threads itself for me yeah

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Tatsuta Age posted:

Fun fact: programming isn't a "one size fits all" thing where every single dev works on a specific thing. Seperate groups get things done, with differing priorities, at various times.

Drythe posted:

Server stability wouldn't be handled by app devs :psyduck:
Yes, I understand how development teams work.
Server instability is currently an issue in every level of the stack though.

The app handles server issues terribly, no error messages, it either just hangs or continues on as if there is no problem and you just don't get updates anymore. That's on the app devs and given the instability that's hopefully their first priority.

New features probably aren't going to be a huge priority for any team until the dust settles.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

I can barely connect and when I do I can't capture anything. Even if I see pokemon nearby, the game just kinda freezes when I try to click on them.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dr. Poz posted:

That's reading some things into what I was saying that weren't there. There are doubtless different teams and thus developers working on each vertical. My point was that both front and back ends are recently released software and recently launched software is typically plagued with issues on both front and back end.

Please note that I expressed a similar sentiment as you that both infrastructure and development are working on things. The only exception I took was that it was being made out to be entirely on infrastructure and we have nothing to base that on.

Are you deliberately being excessively verbose to hide you don't know how any of this works, or is your thought process just really this confused?

Actual neurological patients suffering from a condition causing word salad make more sense than the incoherent mess of an argument you're supposedly trying to present.

Radius Fracture
Sep 22, 2008

The suspect has trouble with lasting relationships and is possibly a high-functioning alcoholic
I found a Porygon in my apartment. And earlier today I found a Hitmonlee while grocery shopping. A nice change of pace from the never ending torrent of vermin that hangs out in my neighborhood.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
http://ispokemongodownornot.com says the servers are making GBS threads themselves

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015
The local university is having a "come catch em all" event at the football stadium in a few minutes. Which makes this server outage timing hilarious.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
gently caress! I caught on to the whole Pidgey farming too late and now they are all over 250cp and bust out of balls.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
What even caused the server crash?

The update seemed relatively minor, in that it took like 10 seconds total to download and install, so it shouldn't be from that alone. Did it just get released in japan? South America, maybe?

E: like, there doesn't seem to be an obvious reason for tbis one, and the fact that some people seem able to get in probably excludes niantic intentionally taking down the servers

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Randumb Thots posted:

The local university is having a "come catch em all" event at the football stadium in a few minutes. Which makes this server outage timing hilarious.

Mhm, all these people trying to promote whatever are jumping the shark, and are going to be real sad when it wont work for them.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

GeneX posted:

What even caused the server crash?

The update seemed relatively minor, in that it took like 10 seconds total to download and install, so it shouldn't be from that alone. Did it just get released in japan? South America, maybe?

E: like, there doesn't seem to be an obvious reason for tbis one, and the fact that some people seem able to get in probably excludes niantic intentionally taking down the servers

It's likely they're load balancing their way into recurring cascading failures whenever one bit or another fails. It's a staple of MMO server failures.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

endlessmonotony posted:

It's likely they're load balancing their way into recurring cascading failures whenever one bit or another fails. It's a staple of MMO server failures.

Ah, makes sense.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Friendly Lurker posted:

Well said.

Since I can't post about Pokemon Go while I can't login, let me bring up a decade old game that has gone through similar problems. In World of Warcraft, a death knight could cause the entire server to crash by using one of their moves. This was in beta, good for them, but seems like the same thing is happening with Go right now.

This is pretty much the impression I have right now too, but I guess "add more RAM" is easier for some to parrot.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I just dont understand how developers continue to make the same mistakes game after game. It was understandable with the mmo craze in the late 2000s. Servers hammered, unexpected volume etc. But here we are mid 2016 and it's the same poo poo. I get servers having problems. I really do. I don't understand how you don't have someone that's out there saying yes we have major demand and this is what we are working on to fix it. Someone saying yes the tracker has been broken for 5 days, this is our eta and what we are doing to fix it.

They need to tell people where their priorities are and what's going on to fix them. The game is a massive phenomenon, I get it. But to not have any communication with your clients is largely unacceptable, and will kill the hype extremely fast. Forbes, is putting out articles now daily about how the tracker is broken and the game is fundamentally broken because of it.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I am trying to figure out the IV sheet...

I have a pair of Raticate.
1 is CP430 HP 54 Dust Cost 1300, Not powered up at all.
2 is CP19 HP 11 Dust Cost 200, Not powered up at all.

Now when I plug them into the calculator I get...
1 has 23 combinations 31% to 80%
2 has 717 combinations 55% to 91%

This is very little help, or I messed something up.

MrDoDo
Jun 27, 2004

You better remember quick before we haul your sweet ass down to the precinct.

Zotix posted:

I just dont understand how developers continue to make the same mistakes game after game. It was understandable with the mmo craze in the late 2000s. Servers hammered, unexpected volume etc. But here we are mid 2016 and it's the same poo poo. I get servers having problems. I really do. I don't understand how you don't have someone that's out there saying yes we have major demand and this is what we are working on to fix it. Someone saying yes the tracker has been broken for 5 days, this is our eta and what we are doing to fix it.

They need to tell people where their priorities are and what's going on to fix them. The game is a massive phenomenon, I get it. But to not have any communication with your clients is largely unacceptable, and will kill the hype extremely fast. Forbes, is putting out articles now daily about how the tracker is broken and the game is fundamentally broken because of it.

Welcome to Software Product Management

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

thegasman2000 posted:

The sheet has a How To that tells you.. how to use it.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

thegasman2000 posted:

One option is to power up each once and see if that narrows down the possible range.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Zotix posted:

I don't know what you guys are going on about. It works on my machine so it should be working.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

CRAYON posted:

The sheet has a How To that tells you.. how to use it.

Yes it does but it doesn't say what the stuff under the 717 combinations mean. When you click them it says this is something you shouldn't need to edit.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I found new fields in the updated APK:

DodgeDamageReductionPercent
DodgeDamageReductionPercentFieldNumber

Finding anything more interesting is left as an exercise for someone with better tools than strings(1) and diff(1).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I think it's time for login queues lads.

Also, as usual, the server shits itself the moment I get to the one park near me that spawns Charmanders. About 21 spawned of which I caught 3 and a pidgey.
At least I saved a dog from being run over. :unsmith:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Servers always crash when I'm about to walk home from work. Never gonna hatch this 10km egg.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

ijyt posted:

I think it's time for login queues lads.

Also, as usual, the server shits itself the moment I get to the one park near me that spawns Charmanders. About 21 spawned of which I caught 3 and a pidgey.
At least I saved a dog from being run over. :unsmith:

I would happily trade any number of pokemon to save a dog from being hit by a car; your trip was not a waste.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

thegasman2000 posted:

Yes it does but it doesn't say what the stuff under the 717 combinations mean. When you click them it says this is something you shouldn't need to edit.

You have to power them up once or twice for it to be useful, but you probably shouldn't try it with those, wait for something stronger.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
this is the worst thing saudis have ever done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Watch this be the catalyst to civil unrest in Saudi Arabia leading to a revolution followed by a secular democratically elected government.

• Locked thread