Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
New WvW poll asking if people want cannon blueprints. Looks like it's gonna be on a trial basis at first then a follow up poll asking if we want to keep it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mobile buildable cannons would rule

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
So, I started playing this game when it came out, hit 40 on a Norn Warrior, then quit playing up until about a week ago. I finally hit 80 the other night, with an impressive 80ish hours over 1400 days of /age.

I didn't see anything through cursory Google searching, but are there any codes for gems floating around that I just haven't found? I'd like to be able to make one of each class, but I'd rather not dump more money into this game before I really determine whether I'm back in it for a while or not.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mewnie posted:

:siren: HoT is 50% for the 20th - 27th :siren:

Finally!

At the same time, I feel like paying for anything they're doing now is sending the wrong message and encouraging them to make more stuff like HoT.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

So I capped my first character recently, and have been slowly getting masteries and elite specs going. I'm working on getting gear to do fractals etc (and eventually raids), but wanted to make sure I'm on the right track.

Right now I have a Revenant with (Berserker) Exotic Armor/Weapons and mostly Ascended Accessories. I'm still working on the Ascended Accessory slots that are best bought with Guild Commendations, but as a filthy casual I'm not in a huge rush.

Ascended Weapons however, seem to be a goal I'll have to whittle away at. Am I right in assuming I'll be okay running fractals with what I've got (mostly exotics, some asc)? I figure I can hope for some lucky drops while slowly farming away the materials/gold for Ascended Weapons :shobon: Is this a bad plan or is it pretty much what a fresh 80 has to do?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nickhimself posted:

So, I started playing this game when it came out, hit 40 on a Norn Warrior, then quit playing up until about a week ago. I finally hit 80 the other night, with an impressive 80ish hours over 1400 days of /age.

I didn't see anything through cursory Google searching, but are there any codes for gems floating around that I just haven't found? I'd like to be able to make one of each class, but I'd rather not dump more money into this game before I really determine whether I'm back in it for a while or not.

Do you mean like....codes for free gems? No, that's not really how gems work. Gotta cough up, sorry. I recommend making one of each class and just deleting and recreating in one of your extra character slots, it takes no time at all to get to sPvP and try all skills (unless Anet changed that?).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Big thanks to Shpyder for the HP train, finished up my Dragonhunter.

Now someone help me make a non poo poo DH build.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

eggrolled posted:

Ascended Weapons however, seem to be a goal I'll have to whittle away at. Am I right in assuming I'll be okay running fractals with what I've got (mostly exotics, some asc)? I figure I can hope for some lucky drops while slowly farming away the materials/gold for Ascended Weapons :shobon: Is this a bad plan or is it pretty much what a fresh 80 has to do?

The only reason ascended is necessary for higher level fractals is the Agony/Agony Resistance mechanic; ascended gear is the only stuff that has slots for AR.

Fractal levels 1-19 require no AR. With just the 6 trinkets (and no infused or attuned ones), you can get up to 42 AR, which protects you up to fractal level 40. If you infuse your backpiece & rings, and attune your rings, that gets you to 77 potential AR which will protect you up to about fractal level 60.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Mewnie posted:

:siren: HoT is 50% for the 20th - 27th :siren:

Finally!
the only good guild wars 2 sale is the sale of their offices after it dies

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Illuyankas posted:

Fair warning I definitely tried to name a character Asparagus Syndrome in the past and it was taken at the time, so it might have been forcibly freed by a mandatory rename, so good luck

(RIP Cosmic Fart Emperor)

You would think, in that case, they'd add it to a blacklist to prevent it being used again. It's also possible that the person using it deleted the character.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Or voluntarily renamed it to something else.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Waci posted:

Or voluntarily renamed it to something else.

I don't know why you'd do that, Asparagus Syndrome is an amazing name.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Alteisen posted:

Big thanks to Shpyder for the HP train, finished up my Dragonhunter.

Now someone help me make a non poo poo DH build.
I'm using this Metabattle Raid Build and honestly I find it really useful for PvE and WvW, too. Keep changing up the "empty" utility skill slot depending on circumstance and it works really well.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Now Arus is going to get shot by open-field cannons before he even runs into the zerg to put traps down.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't know why you'd do that, Asparagus Syndrome is an amazing name.

Maybe they got really into roleplaying and changed to Asparagus Condition. I don't know why, I agree Asparagus Syndrome is good.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
New horizons and endless possibilities.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

treizebee posted:

New horizons and endless possibilities.

What am I looking at here

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Travel toy workaround in WvW!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ohhhhh nice!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I'm using this Metabattle Raid Build and honestly I find it really useful for PvE and WvW, too. Keep changing up the "empty" utility skill slot depending on circumstance and it works really well.

Yo this build is sick, I'm using soldiers with travelers and my DPS is still amazing, great group control to.

Now I just need better hammer skins.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Half off of the expansion to maybe do what is right with Trahearne?

KILL HIM

maybe

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

apparently this is what i've been using on matthias for the past few months

hard to call it a build though since all you need to do is pick the symbol traits and equip a hammer

bane signet is really good for breakbar though

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Welp that was an amazing wvwednesday, i hope the poor guy is okay he was a bit suicidal.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Visidan posted:

Welp that was an amazing wvwednesday, i hope the poor guy is okay he was a bit suicidal.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

we broke that guy, drat

but we were following cletus, how did he know to message arus

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

eggrolled posted:

So I capped my first character recently, and have been slowly getting masteries and elite specs going. I'm working on getting gear to do fractals etc (and eventually raids), but wanted to make sure I'm on the right track.

Right now I have a Revenant with (Berserker) Exotic Armor/Weapons and mostly Ascended Accessories. I'm still working on the Ascended Accessory slots that are best bought with Guild Commendations, but as a filthy casual I'm not in a huge rush.

Sounds like you're on the right way, yeah. Ascended gear can definitely take a while to get for a new player, but fortunately you don't need a lot of ascended to do up to tier 3 fractals, where the drop rates for ascended boxes start getting decent enough that you can expect to get some weapon/armor pieces. Just do your daily fractals every day and you'll see progress. Getting all the way to 150 AR to do level 100 will definitely take a while longer, but you shouldn't let that stop you from doing other stuff like raids, which doesn't strictly require any ascended gear.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

where's the link to the guild clearing the first wing in nothing but blues, greens and a single day's budget

edit - found it. their rule was blue, green and at max 3 gold per player, including runes and food
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4glido/ivt_3g_budget_raid_wing_1_clear_in_masterwork_gear/

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/an-interview-with-queen-jennah/

Sure this is nice but if we could maybe hear about actual game and mode changes that would be more interesting.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Jennah really could not care less about Logan.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Generic Octopus posted:

Jennah really could not care less about Logan.

Good, Logan is mine :buddy:

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Also I guess the Vigil is now assuming command of the Pact (as it should've in the first place).

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Thanks for the input and info about my fresh 80, my dudes. Looks like I'll be reading up on Fractals and jumping in on the early ones once I've done my homework on wtf happens and what do in them :cheers:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Kinda late to the party, but your gear sounds fine for both lower-tier fractals and for raids. This not at all motivated by the frequent shortage of people for SFD "euro" raids.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Kessel posted:

where's the link to the guild clearing the first wing in nothing but blues, greens and a single day's budget

edit - found it. their rule was blue, green and at max 3 gold per player, including runes and food
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4glido/ivt_3g_budget_raid_wing_1_clear_in_masterwork_gear/

Isnt that all before they nerfed burnzerker, chrono, engi, and so on? I am sure it's still possible to do it but you'll probably need to play way better now.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Alacrity and Scorched Earth got nerfed back in January.

I don't think condi engi really ever got nerfed but they were only there for the Vale Guardian split phase anyway, it's all tempest dps on Gorseval and Sabetha.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So I played this game back on launch, was kind of frustrated that the entire 50 levels I got as a Warrior, I never got any new gear models and still looked like I was wearing level 3 chainmail, and so I quit and kinda didn't touch the game again. I see the expac is 50% off and the new class looks really cool, I guess my question is has the game improved substantially in the last two+ years? I liked alot of it in theory but much of the game seemed kind of half-baked at launch.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
If that happened to you at launch, it happened because you ignored the abundant sources of new armour skins for a long time and then ragequit because the game didn't force them on you. This has not changed, not worth re-installing.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Ok that sounded a bit mean but seriously, a lot of stuff has changed but how often you find new armour skins isn't really one of them.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My post wasn't really very clear but I meant that was just one of the reasons I quit, I found it got kind of dull around the 50 range. If there were a bunch of armor skins and I just wasn't being observant that's on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

So what's the state of WvW in this game now? Back when I played, it was just a huge swarm that moved from fort to fort, and it wasn't really possible to build up a fort and hold it for any length of time. The swarm would show up, break the wall down in 30 seconds, and overrun it. Is anything different now?

• Locked thread