Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Haha, so now there's not enough shooting? Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you don't like climbing, Uncharted may not be the series for you. Also:

Also, my preferred playstyle in any game that allows it is to try to ghost, but if I get detected, to go loud with as many explosions as possible, so U4's combat fit me like a glove

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Haha, so now there's not enough shooting? Jesus Christ.

That isn't really what they said.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't really what they said.

There's 2 things to do in Uncharted, if you're saying it has too much climbing you're saying it doesn't have enough shooting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The combat in UC4 is fantastic. Goons are always looking for something to hate in that series.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Uncharted 4 does tend to have more climbing and platforming than the other games in the series though. I liked it and probably think it's the best in the series but those who want non-stop action generally prefer Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 was in a weird position where it went through numerous rewrites do to circumstances beyond the writer's control.

Uncharted 1 is a jank fest though and that's even including the Uncharted Collection remaster which tweaks the game controls to be closer to 2 and 3.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also, my preferred playstyle in any game that allows it is to try to ghost, but if I get detected, to go loud with as many explosions as possible, so U4's combat fit me like a glove

Is that from UC4's photo mode? I'm trying to be good about my purchases right now, but... :shepspends:

Also I feel real weird that reviewers were calling out UC4's "new" combat stealth mechanic where enemies know where you were and not where you are... but they've been doing that since UC1. That whole game was about running the distract > charge > kill loop on endless repeat, but I don't think anyone ever managed to play it right the first time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dewgy posted:

Is that from UC4's photo mode? I'm trying to be good about my purchases right now, but... :shepspends:

UC4 is the best-looking PS4 game, hands down. They did a lot of work on natural light for TLOU and here it pays off.

Dewgy posted:

Also I feel real weird that reviewers were calling out UC4's "new" combat stealth mechanic where enemies know where you were and not where you are... but they've been doing that since UC1. That whole game was about running the distract > charge > kill loop on endless repeat, but I don't think anyone ever managed to play it right the first time.

You're talking about the active combat mechanics. The "new" stealth mechanic was mostly increasing your information. In UC1 you could get spotted by one guy you didn't know about and suddenly waves of heavily armed goons show up and actively hunt you down. In 4 you can be aware of enemy activity while they're offscreen or behind a wall, which lets you plan things out way better. They also added (actually in 3) a suspicion phase to the AI where a brief glimpse triggers that one guy investigating you but not the full firefight, and in 4 they upgraded this to a visual indicator too so you can tell if you're exposed from the back.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 20, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I like the shooting and combat in Uncharted, it just gets ridiculously stupid at times with enemies slamming grenades and armored goons shrugging off headshots like nothing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Photo mode was fun

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

blackguy32 posted:

Don't starve is fun but holy poo poo, it's a game that I don't understand at all. It seems do complex to me and explains very little.
I remember something came out in the past year or so that was like Don't Starve but more light and cartoony and looked more fun ... but I've totally blanked on the name

Hell there was likely more than one of them, it seemed like everyone else did Don't Starve better than Don't Starve themselves

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dewgy posted:

UC4 was the first game that I really spent a lot of time messing around with the photo mode, there are a lot of breathtaking landscapes and vistas in that game!

And yeah, the gameplay loop is definitely basically the same as the earlier games, but they've given you more tools to really work it (marking enemies, the awareness bubbles, way more grass stealth areas). Like in UC2 I didn't really feel like I could use stealth except in the places where the game was explicitly setting it up for me, like when when a segment started with me behind a wall and there was a guy patrolling right in front of me

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That's amazing, I need to play this. UC2 was one of the first games I got for PS3 and it absolutely blew me away, especially coming from 360 gaming. UC3 was good. I got UC1 free in a dual shock bundle from gamestop and flipped it for GoW collection after about an hour of play.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

CrashCat posted:

I remember something came out in the past year or so that was like Don't Starve but more light and cartoony and looked more fun ... but I've totally blanked on the name

Hell there was likely more than one of them, it seemed like everyone else did Don't Starve better than Don't Starve themselves

When I played I thought I was doing ok. Turns out there was a bunch of poo poo I was missing like collecting poop to use to fertilize plants and stuff. But at this point I think I'm loving sick of crafting survival games.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think 4 is the first game that potentially allows you to actually clear areas of enemies using entirely stealth for at least a small number of sections. In the previous Uncharted games, stealth was just a way to thin out enemy groups but you'd still almost always end up in a firefight at some point.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Looks like a DS4 cosplaying as Ripley in the power loader.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I played them on release and every Uncharted has had a sequence that really impressed me. The sub and really the graphics in general in 1, the insane train sequence in 2 (and the village tank sequence), the cruise ship in 3, the drag->car chase in 4. TLOU is great in its own way but I do like the big setpieces Uncharted comes up with.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

WaltherFeng posted:

I doubt. Their last title Journey was a pretty short experience, a few hours at most, which they seem to prefer doing

A valid point. I try to avoid digital just because my Internet connection is spotty but this is the sort of game I'd make an exception for.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

I doubt. Their last title Journey was a pretty short experience, a few hours at most, which they seem to prefer doing

I've seen Journey physical releases, though. Usually it's bundled with something else, but they do exist.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Morby posted:

I've seen Journey physical releases, though. Usually it's bundled with something else, but they do exist.

I think there was a journey and flower release for ps3

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The combat in UC4 really felt like an actioney version of TLOU to me in that you'd go, stealth some guys, gently caress up the stealth approach and go in guns blazing. Once stealth fails the map is littered with different options and a well played segment should look like a badass action movie.

Morby posted:

A ton of digital games are getting physical releases lately. I wouldn't be surprise if Abzu got one but it could be months before it pops up.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

NESguerilla posted:

Photo mode was fun

I had fun giving my girlfriend vertigo several times just by walking up to the edge of a high precipice with a top-down camera orientation so Drake would do that "oh poo poo don't fall" animation :v:. Uncharted 4 was very good.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

NESguerilla posted:

Photo mode was fun

:stare: goddamn

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Photomode in Uncharted 4 is really good. I wish I had known about the PS4's PNG option before taking these.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

uc4 needs to get itself a better resolution for its screenshots

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you take the characters out of the frame and show people pictures you took UC4 90% of the time their reaction will be "whoa where is that?! I didn't know you went on vacation."

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Baby I go on vacation every night
*slips on VR headset*

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Furichat: the post-credits boss can gently caress right off. Who thought making your controls all slow and lovely and taking away your sword was a fun idea?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BinaryDoubts posted:

Furichat: the post-credits boss can gently caress right off. Who thought making your controls all slow and lovely and taking away your sword was a fun idea?

Your controls aren't any slower than they were before. I would have preferred some melee, though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

all the uncharteds are great

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Oxxidation posted:

Your controls aren't any slower than they were before. I would have preferred some melee, though.

nah. its definitely sluggish compared to the normal fights. its slight... but its there. and its incredibly irritating in a game thats built around precision parrying/dodging.

even if it wasnt, that game is still guilty of using the whole final-boss-is-totally-different-than-the-entire-game-youve-been-enjoying-to-get-to-it cliche. if we liked your game enough to get to the final boss, maybe dont change it at the very end?

i was actually planning on 100%'ing furi, but that boss totally soured me on it. i havent played it since, and likely wont.

jeffLebowski fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 20, 2016

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Davincie posted:

uc4 needs to get itself a better resolution for its screenshots

PS4 shares are funny like that, they won't upload to FB or Twitter at max res, you have to use a USB stick, but they do capture at 1920x1080.

If you mean "better resolution for screenshots" to mean a photo mode with a proper renderer like Gran Turismo had on PS2 though, hell yes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One way to get the photos without bothering with usb is to message one to a friend, then save it on your phone via the ps messages app.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, I've got $300 in Amazon giftcards. What's the best way for me to go about getting a PS4?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

89 posted:

So, I've got $300 in Amazon giftcards. What's the best way for me to go about getting a PS4?
You add one to your cart and click purchase

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

too many steps!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Amazon does have 1-Click...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If that's still too many clicks, there's Alexa.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Any idea on the reliability of Amazon certified refurb PS4's?

That would have been a better question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

jeffLebowski posted:

nah. its definitely sluggish compared to the normal fights. its slight... but its there. and its incredibly irritating in a game thats built around precision parrying/dodging.

even if it wasnt, that game is still guilty of using the whole final-boss-is-totally-different-than-the-entire-game-youve-been-enjoying-to-get-to-it cliche. if we liked your game enough to get to the final boss, maybe dont change it at the very end?

i was actually planning on 100%'ing furi, but that boss totally soured me on it. i havent played it since, and likely wont.

It's really not any different. The only serious departures are that it's strictly long-range (just like the "real" final boss was strictly melee, since The Beat is pretty much a joke boss), and you have a slightly more sustained charge shot to cut through The Star's sturdier projectiles. Your dash still works, your parry still works, your movement isn't slowed. The fight is fine.

• Locked thread