Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm indifferent on Red Hood these days, but I won't say no to panels of Batman eating a sandwhich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not the right kind of smile, Bruce! We practiced this!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm indifferent on Red Hood these days, but I won't say no to panels of Batman eating a sandwhich.
That's not Batman, he's sitting :suicide:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Isn't that essentially how he was drawn back in his N52 debut?

Nah.
Action #13

Superman #3

I suppose if Amanda Waller can come back to her old look without explanation, so can Krypto, but I really liked the big, mean N52 dude.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 20, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Krypto is supposed to be Superman's pet. It doesn't feel right if he isn't equivalent to a normal dog kids have. Being a wolf just feels like too much, he's not supposed to be the intimidating battle companion of a master ranger in Dungeons & Dragons.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

WickedHate posted:

Krypto is supposed to be Superman's pet. It doesn't feel right if he isn't equivalent to a normal dog kids have. Being a wolf just feels like too much, he's not supposed to be the intimidating battle companion of a master ranger in Dungeons & Dragons.

I agree with this and he better not be dead!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Uh, what the hell is with Justice League #1? I mean the entire planet is totally hosed as the issue begins. Cities are destroyed and millions worldwide are dead. On one page Atlantis completely crumbles. How is this story connected to anything going on in the DC Universe? It makes no sense at all. It's way too much and ridiculously over the top. Unless it turns out to be a dream or something I'm not sure how this fits alongside the other DC books. I'm sure it won't ever be referenced elsewhere despite the ridiculous amount of worldwide destruction.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

WickedHate posted:

On the other hand, a Kryptonian guard dog that looks like a white wolf is cool. :cool: Get with the times, grandma.

Personally, I'm good with either design.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is Dr. Manhattan's fault, obviously. He hates wolves but loves dogs.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I still remember Charles Soule destroying Paris or something at the end of Red Lanterns and thinking that's a really strange move cause obviously nothing else would ever address that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

I thought Rorschach was the one that was friends to the animals

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I still remember Charles Soule destroying Paris or something at the end of Red Lanterns and thinking that's a really strange move cause obviously nothing else would ever address that.

How long ago was that? I'd think the events in Paris from the past year on would make that a touchy subject.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

X-O posted:

Uh, what the hell is with Justice League #1? I mean the entire planet is totally hosed as the issue begins. Cities are destroyed and millions worldwide are dead. On one page Atlantis completely crumbles. How is this story connected to anything going on in the DC Universe? It makes no sense at all. It's way too much and ridiculously over the top. Unless it turns out to be a dream or something I'm not sure how this fits alongside the other DC books. I'm sure it won't ever be referenced elsewhere despite the ridiculous amount of worldwide destruction.

Yeah, that's how I just felt getting caught up with the start of New 52. "Huh, aliens are Body Snatching an entire town. Oh and an earthquake just decimated a metropolis over here. Oh and a god of demons is spewing forth his army threw a hell mouth and is just slaughtering everyone. Gotham just had it's third public zombification/public massacre this week. And Apocalypse is happening. Wow, that's a lot of stuff all happening in a short period of time."

And that's what made me really like Earth 2 at the start. A world shattering event kicks off the book, leading into other world shattering events, and they all stuck and had effects on the earth. It showed this world as going to poo poo in a way not too dissimilar to how B.P.R.D's is now.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

At least she's being honest

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

X-O posted:

This is like, completely standard comic book stuff, it never makes sense. That said, I totally get the complaint and get annoyed by that kind of thing too.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

How long ago was that? I'd think the events in Paris from the past year on would make that a touchy subject.

About a year before that. I can't remember if it was Paris. It was some major city.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hahaha okay, I admit it, I've been being lenient, but Green Lanterns is a real bad book. I really like Simon and Jessica's interactions still, but oh god this book is badly-put together.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Haven't read it, but it sounds like every other "What the what?!" opening arc fake-out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

Hahaha okay, I admit it, I've been being lenient, but Green Lanterns is a real bad book. I really like Simon and Jessica's interactions still, but oh god this book is badly-put together.

I'm probably gonna drop it after this issue.

I feel bad because I really like the premise, and I want to support the fact that Simon and Jessica exist, but the Red Lanterns going backwards on their characterization has me really not wanting to bother.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Roth posted:

At least she's being honest

Nobody could take that crown from Hal Jordan, even if they tried.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Actually, I just read the part where Jessica completely ruins Simon's attempt to "cure" Bleez, and then refuses to accept responsibility for it, instead insisting that she saved him

I officially don't like this character at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

redbackground posted:

Haven't read it, but it sounds like every other "What the what?!" opening arc fake-out.

Yeah, that's why I said unless it's a dream or something. Because it's really over the top. One of the first pages is of a newscaster talking about how Earth is coming apart at every fault line and the crust of the planet is crumbling everywhere. If it's not a fakeout it makes no sense. It's not just your usual "City gets destroyed by aliens" scenario.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

Yeah I make room for the idea that Jon is gonna go all Gohan and beat the Eradicator until a dog falls out, but it is getting a little silly that 2/3 of the new superman now has a pet getting killed in it.

I actually don't think they're getting Krypto back, mostly because that final shot of Jon looks like he's supposed to put the li'l doggy cape on next issue. Also, anyone else get the impression Tomasi and Gleason pitched a Superboy book and got told they were on Superman instead?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

I actually don't think they're getting Krypto back, mostly because that final shot of Jon looks like he's supposed to put the li'l doggy cape on next issue. Also, anyone else get the impression Tomasi and Gleason pitched a Superboy book and got told they were on Superman instead?

Doesn't really matter what was pitched and what was given to them, the book is loving great. Best book of Rebirth so far.

Also today's issue of Batman was the first one I thought was great. I guess with the double shipping King is just having to stretch the story a bit. Seeing who Gotham and Gotham Girl are this early is a surprise, but I dug their origin of sorts even if we still don't know all of it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

They could be misleading but krypto has been mentioned on solicitation

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
As far as art mistakes go it's gonna be really hard to top Simon and Jessica talking, at length, in detail, about his real, non-construct gun while the art shows him holding a vividly-green construct gun for panels and panels on end. I could not believe what I was seeing. Evidently the colorist thinks his gun is dumb too and also just doesn't get to read the script I guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The ring has consciousness and senses that Simon views the gun as an extension of his self, and therefore provides the passive forcefield to it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I went to check if Jon already got a cape at the end of Lois & Clark (He didn't. It's his dad's) but it reminded me how much I liked the little detail of him putting it on sideways.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

I think they knew Jon was going to be a big deal in Rebirth and they looked to the people who just got done with like 40 issues of the absolute best father/son relationship I've ever read in superhero comics, probably.

Cyberius
Sep 24, 2007
Totally Fake
I really liked Batman this week. I'm really liking a Batman who's not being a dour gently caress to everybody, and I thought the origin of Gotham and Gotham Girl was cute. I do wish their powers were more interesting than they currently appear, though. And I agree either something terrible will happen to them, or they get their powers from some messed up nonsense.

BOP Rebirth was weird to me because I knew all of these characters from the pre-Nu52 books, but they don't read or seem like those characters to me. Babs as Batgirl still does absolutely nothing for me, and spending all that time this issue showing her as Oracle didn't help that to me. Huntress as old 'I will kill the entire mob Huntress' is fine, but I had gotten used to her being past that. And I had no idea Dinah was even in a band.

I want to like Green Lanterns, but Simon and Jessica just need to cool it with their inner monologues. Like cut out half of that poo poo, at least. They also need to get better villains because the Red Lanterns as a concept are stupid and boring.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You should check out that last Black Canary series at least for the Annie Wu art.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That Eradicator swerve worked well for me. Like as soon as it started I was like "Wow Clark, you're being an rear end in a top hat. Maybe he's no-" and then he was cool. Then he was decidedly not cool and I hope Kid Gohan fucks him up.

Batman was also pretty great. I always love to see Matches Malone. I also immediately mark out any time the idea of legacy turns up in modern DC since they go back and forth on whether or not they care to keep it up these days. I've decided I like Gotham and Gotham Girl. Especially now that they have been around long enough to establish good character. WAY more than I can say for Lark. I also like seeing Batman not act like an unrelenting dick to anything that breathes around him. It makes it fun for me to read. Both Batman and Superman get a thumbs up from me, they're the two books I've decided to follow through Rebirth. Nightwing too of course.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I haven't read Justice League yet, but it sounds like I'm not missing much.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey and Hellblazer were both decent enough. Nothing comes to mind that was outright bad about either of them, but they were both par for the course.

I'm still really liking Batman so far. Not sure why people are so down on it, but I think it's slowly getting more and more interesting. Same with Superman, though that one seems to be getting the praise it deserves.

Green Lanterns convinced me to straight up drop the series.

And finally, Green Arrow is awesome. The art is so fantastic, that even if the writing sucked, I'd still buy it just to look at it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Buy One Get One at Comixology!
https://www.comixology.com/DC-Buy-One-Get-One-Sale/page/11527?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I had wanted to get excited about Batman because of King, but Finch wiped that out. I have to say, though, the last issue was surprising, this is the best Finch has looked in as long as I can remember. I think it is the inking, it is so much cleaner and sharper than Finch's art usually looks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I quite like Batman and it was nice seeing how Batman inspires people and Batman actually appreciating it instead of going all "this is too dangerous for you/this is my city/I don't trust you"

BoP didn't do it for me. It looks like they are going back to pre-52 Batgirl which is kind of hilarious seeing how the previous Batgirl run tried to scrub any mention of her life from Killing Joke (by scrub I mean not mention it and just move on from it). Also I was very confused with Huntress in it. It seems like they were trying to combine the spy with the vigilante but it didn't really work.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I loved Batman, probably my favorite issue this week and feels like the first issue that's Tom King-rear end Tom King. Just a great issue, top to bottom.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey was fine but had some real bunk-rear end looking art, and as aforementioned the switch from Matron to Huntress seemed a bit forced. Do like the whole Oracle subplot though.

Superman remained fantastic as usual even caveating with the Krypto "death" occurring so soon after the genuinely effective and affecting cat death.

Green Arrow was also pretty good. Not much to say, do like the Ninth Circle reveal continuing the politically progressive tone of the comic so far and feels like the rear end in a top hat-y Woke Twitter catchphrase progressiveness that plagued early issues of the run is gone, feels like a reveal that made a point without being douchebaggy in its smugness.

I'm dropping Green Lanterns. gently caress that comic, every issue so far has been varying levels of bad and I'm already loving sick of Jessica Cruz and her total ineptitude combined with her one character trait being hammered on endlessly. Simon Baz is marginally better, but only just, the entire comic is overwritten, the internal narration is clumsy and used as a bandaid for the generally inept storytelling, and it repeats words like "RAGE" and "ANXIETY" over and over until they've lost all meaning. It's two awful people squabbling all the time and the comic loving sucks. See ya, Green Lanterns.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 21, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You all have to be kidding with this stuff about changes being jarring or forced or... anything.

It's a relaunch, guys.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Of course Tom King would use Psycho Pirate. He's been manipulating my emotions with the Vision for nine issues now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I liked Hellblazer, including the art when the colouring isn't intruding on it too hard. The backgrounds and background characters are really charming to me.

And I enjoyed reading people getting riled at the comic ending like this:

Also, BOGO sale.
How was Morrison and Millar's run on Swamp Thing?
Patrick Gleason's run on Aquaman from these trades?
https://www.comixology.com/Aquaman-...0ZWRFZGl0aW9ucw
https://www.comixology.com/Aquaman-...0ZWRFZGl0aW9ucw

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 21, 2016