Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Those hotel numbers seemed a bit high. Just looked out of curiosity. Only $100 for the City Centre Motor Hotel. Some of the rooms don't even have bedbugs!

The Cobalt and Ivanhoe "hotels" don't even have websites, so those are probably even better steals.

Rime you can keep these options in your back pocket in case your van starts leaking this winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JawKnee posted:

if we're talking about the downtown core the average AirBnB price goes up to $390

That's pretty steep. Are we talking about comparable accommodations to a hotel room?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Throatwarbler posted:

You are literally asking if the cost of having a roof over one's head will impact someone's decision to go to a place.

These are the people who live in Vancouver.

For the famous resort town of Vancouver where everyone finds a Lambo, for their sweet 16, parked in the alley behind their East Van bungalo?

I find I can only be concerned that visitors to Vancouver either are too rich or too poor, but not both. I'm afraid you will need to pick one.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Checkmate.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The Butcher posted:

Those hotel numbers seemed a bit high. Just looked out of curiosity. Only $100 for the City Centre Motor Hotel. Some of the rooms don't even have bedbugs!

The Cobalt and Ivanhoe "hotels" don't even have websites, so those are probably even better steals.

Rime you can keep these options in your back pocket in case your van starts leaking this winter.

Cobalt has been pseudo-SRO for, like, 50 years now man. Not sure about the Ivanhoe but I'm pretty sure it's been the same since about when people stopped traveling on the fuckin' railway.

I've got a dope house back up in the Burnaby Heights for the next couple of years, but I appreciate the concern.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Rime posted:

Cobalt has been pseudo-SRO for, like, 50 years now man. Not sure about the Ivanhoe but I'm pretty sure it's been the same since about when people stopped traveling on the fuckin' railway.

I've got a dope house back up in the Burnaby Heights for the next couple of years, but I appreciate the concern.

You're going to live with a heroin dealer?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Rime posted:

I'm poking fun, but glad to hear it man.

Keep taking care of yourself, and feel free to shoot me a PM if things ever go really sideways, I'll help if I can.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

How dare thou utter such heresy!

Also yes.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Some Ontario person chime in, can you re-assign a presale condo or not:

Risk of speculation in Toronto condos mitigated by presales: CMHC

quote:

Most Toronto condominium projects do not begin construction until 70 per cent of units are sold, curbing the risk of speculation, Canada’s housing agency said on Tuesday in a report that suggested overbuilding fears may be overdone.

A prolonged Canadian housing market boom, particularly in the two major markets of Toronto and Vancouver, has sparked fears of a bubble. Condo construction has jumped in both cities to meet the demand of buyers priced out of more expensive detached homes.

But the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corp report noted 79 per cent of projects begin construction after reaching 70 per cent presale threshold, and that current unsold inventory is largely concentrated in downtown Toronto and the suburb of Markham, where condo markets are more active.

“Inventory management therefore continues to be necessary to make sure that condominium units currently under construction do not remain unsold upon completion,” the report said.

The CMHC, which has played down the likelihood of a national bubble while flagging what it sees as overbuilding and overvaluation in some cities, said condos account for about 50 percent of residential construction in Toronto.

Some 43,860 units were under construction across Toronto in the first quarter of 2016, and 1,373 units were completed and unsold. The unabsorbed inventory rate was 5.8 per cent, the lowest level in the past two years.

“The current inventory level is low compared to the highs witnessed during the early 1990s and has eased from a slight increase in 2015,” the report noted.

Toronto’s last housing bubble burst in the late 1980s, fueled by huge speculative investment in the condo market, but the CMHC said the same risks were not seen in the current market.

It said more conservative underwriting by most lenders have increased presales to the 70 per cent threshold.

Still, some speculation was occurring, either in small projects, in projects by large-scale reputable developers who have more equity available, or in multi-phase projects with high or full absorption in their early phases, it said.

The average absorption rate in Toronto was unchanged at 94 per cent, while the average project size has increased to 280 units in the first quarter of 2016 from 205 units in the first quarter of 2014, the report showed.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

If they 'do something' it will still crash and government will get the blame.

THC posted:

Well then you're bad at impersonation and you don't understand my views as well as you think you do. Anti-racism is not an obstacle to solving the housing market.

You don't even understand your own views.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
If only we singled out and hated on chinese people more this housing bubble would have been controllable.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

If only we were more racist, then Canadians wouldn't have record levels of debt!

DariusLikewise posted:

If only we singled out and hated on chinese people more this housing bubble would have been controllable.

Look at this fuckin' Melania

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Fair and balanced.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So we're paying $1400 for a 2 bedroom. A 1 bedroom in our building just got listed at $1400. Jesus christ was is going on in Victoria? I just hope the bubble and economy crashed until my rent gets too high.
This is also a location where a low-barrier homeless shelter for 100 people is going up next door.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Look at this fuckin' Melania

This salty over your Fuehrer's convention crashing and burning?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

So we're paying $1400 for a 2 bedroom. A 1 bedroom in our building just got listed at $1400. Jesus christ was is going on in Victoria? I just hope the bubble and economy crashed until my rent gets too high.
This is also a location where a low-barrier homeless shelter for 100 people is going up next door.

$1350 for a one bed over the strait, rent controlled for many years now. Cry me a river.

At least you can move into the shelter when you get evicted for "family to live there". (jk, the shelter's gonna be full)

I'm pretty convinced the economy is going to eat it within a year. Enough that if I could effectively bet on it I'd put a good chunk down right now.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
6 month introspection on my housing market statements at the beginning of the year:

I was totally wrong about foreign money. It really is having an impact, at least for the nice hockey stick curve that started in 2014.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Eventually you run out of people to sell to.

https://twitter.com/SteveSaretsky/status/755532719191302145

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

You in one of those nice old places on Rockland and Vancouver? I'm surprised the rent hasn't gone higher sooner. A relative of mine teaches at the cathedral school, be interesting to see what the shelter does to the neighborhood that tent city hasn't already.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Looks like government OVERSIGHT

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Anyone noticed that CIBC is selling negative-yield bonds now, or is that something only the CanFinance thread would be interested in?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/cibc-negative-yield-bonds-1.3685259

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It depends. Are you going to tell us how this is a sign that the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse are going to ride through bay Street by November

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
*commutes in to Vancouver from Tsawassen for barrista gig.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

namaste faggots posted:

6 month introspection on my housing market statements at the beginning of the year:

I was totally wrong about foreign money. It really is having an impact, at least for the nice hockey stick curve that started in 2014.

Holy poo poo... can't believe you've finally come around. Kudos for being willing to publicly revise an opinion.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rime posted:

Anyone noticed that CIBC is selling negative-yield bonds now, or is that something only the CanFinance thread would be interested in?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/cibc-negative-yield-bonds-1.3685259

<Beta, fearful, can bubble thread poster>: This economy, so inbalanced! I guess I'll pay to keep it in these bonds.

<Alpha, virile, millionaire property owner>: What's that, another 40 percent this year? Shucks :smug:

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
Here's a question for this thread - now that the collapse is on the horizon (though likely still almost a year away) what will happen to the loonie when the market crashes?

Crashes usually bring deflation and a lack of demand which reduces imports, reducing depreciation pressure. When Japan crashed the yen skyrocketed to its then all time high from this effect.

On the other hand there is some share of foreign investment that will be running for the exits. And the USD went goddamn everywhere when that bubble burst, though it overall trended down till 2012.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I hope it crashes and burns because I get paid in USD.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Do Vancouverites even have jobs to lose or is it all gig economy poo poo and FIRE?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Myriarch posted:

foreign investment that will be running for the exits.

CAD is already down 25% over the last few years. Either foreigners aren't running or foreign cash isn't that big of a factor in the first place.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mantle posted:

CAD is already down 25% over the last few years. Either foreigners aren't running or foreign cash isn't that big of a factor in the first place.

Alternative rational: They are the sort of people that smuggled money into Canada and bought a Vancouver special for 8 times it's value and a Bentley, so they may not be sophisticated forex traders.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Myriarch posted:

Here's a question for this thread - now that the collapse is on the horizon (though likely still almost a year away) what will happen to the loonie when the market crashes?

Crashes usually bring deflation and a lack of demand which reduces imports, reducing depreciation pressure. When Japan crashed the yen skyrocketed to its then all time high from this effect.

On the other hand there is some share of foreign investment that will be running for the exits. And the USD went goddamn everywhere when that bubble burst, though it overall trended down till 2012.

it might drop temporarily but the real estate market isn't big enough to drive exchange rates and i don't think there'll be a run on the banks. if the government bails out mortgage holders or home owners (spoiler: they totally will) there might be a small negative effect

the economic impact is mostly going to be felt in vancouver and southern ontario as suddenly a poo poo ton of tradespeople and realtors are out of work

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

the talent deficit posted:

it might drop temporarily but the real estate market isn't big enough to drive exchange rates and i don't think there'll be a run on the banks. if the government bails out mortgage holders or home owners (spoiler: they totally will) there might be a small negative effect

the economic impact is mostly going to be felt in vancouver and southern ontario as suddenly a poo poo ton of tradespeople and realtors are out of work

TBH at this point all this point it seems like all the realtors in Vancouver have it coming to them

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

TBH at this point all this point it seems like all the realtors in Vancouver have it coming to them

We had a letter in the local paper from a realtor the other week about how it's not fair that the province is regulating them when it's worked so well self-regulating before and a few bad apples ruined everything for everyone else and :qq:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

Holy poo poo... can't believe you've finally come around. Kudos for being willing to publicly revise an opinion.

i like to think that i care so little about ~online community~~ that i'm the only person posting here that doesn't think that he's literally gaining experience points and that any capitulation means that i'm now only a level 27 forums poster

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Level 27? Don't be silly

You're Number 6

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

quaint bucket posted:

Rain forest inspired ensuite with waterfall features.

Open plan minimalist ensuite. Nobody really needs walls or a vanity to take a poo poo. Just wash your hands in the shower!

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 21, 2016

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I only noticed today you can lock in for 10 years at 3.49. I'm almost at the point of saying gently caress it and buying something with a rental unit downstairs to take advantage while money is so cheap. We're a small town with a college so vacancy rates are low and at that rate you could easily pay over half your mortgage with your apartment and have it locked in for 10 years. When it all comes tumbling down I'll rent out the top and buy some former rig pigs dream home and ride the next inflation to riches.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

flashman posted:

I only noticed today you can lock in for 10 years at 3.49. I'm almost at the point of saying gently caress it and buying something with a rental unit downstairs to take advantage while money is so cheap. We're a small town with a college so vacancy rates are low and at that rate you could easily pay over half your mortgage with your apartment and have it locked in for 10 years. When it all comes tumbling down I'll rent out the top and buy some former rig pigs dream home and ride the next inflation to riches.

It's not the worst idea provided you could and would aggressively build savings during that period. Still requires some bets on timing though.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Why lock in a fixed rate? You really think rates are going to stop dropping, climb to back up where they are now, cover the gap between variable and fixed, then power on above 3.49% with enough time left in your mortgage term to soak you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The Butcher posted:

It's not the worst idea provided you could and would aggressively build savings during that period. Still requires some bets on timing though.

We'd end up paying less than what we do to rent now (obviously before putting aside for maintenence and poo poo) and we are DINKS living in a basement apartment for the past 5 years so I think the frugality is there to keep building. The student thing really offsets alot of fears I have about a market collapse letting people buy instead of rent (and anyone with a pulse and 45k family income can find a house here in their range if they wanted to own)

yippee cahier posted:

Why lock in a fixed rate? You really think rates are going to stop dropping, climb to back up where they are now, cover the gap between variable and fixed, then power on above 3.49% with enough time left in your mortgage term to soak you?

I think rates will be higher than the 10 year fixed after a 5 year term yes. Whether or not they will go up enough to offset the extra interest paid in the first 5 years is probably a no, but I'm a sucker for stability I guess.