Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
My platonic ideal of what Crawl should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Dungeon Crawl: Crab Soup

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

It's not Dungeon Crawl, but please be patient while I complete my Total Crabversion mod of Caves of Qud.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There are three kinds of crabs in Crawl.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

There are three kinds of crabs in Crawl.

This is not enough crabs.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I remember someone idly discussing the concept of a caustic crab in devchat, once. While we're at it, let's add torment crabs and mutation crabs!

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
FR: Crab dragons that drop crab dragon hides which can be enchanted into crab dragon armor

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A unique called the King Crab who worships Qazlal and drops an unrand called the Crab Crown which gives rCloud

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Killing crabs using steam provides a delicious meal.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Fruits have a chance of generating a crab apple.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

code:
1671287 cliffracer the Grand Gadgeteer (level 27, 261/266 HPs)
             Began as a Deep Dwarf Artificer on July 17, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Pakellas.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on July 21, 2016!

The game lasted 13:39:37 (78419 turns).

cliffracer the Grand Gadgeteer (DDAr)              Turns: 78419, Time: 13:39:38

Health: 261/266    AC: 32    Str: 33    XL:     27
Magic:  12/40      EV: 27    Int: 12    God:    Pakellas [******]
Gold:   2366       SH: 34    Dex: 21    Spells: 4 memorised, 30 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    L - +9 demon whip (drain)
rCold  . . .      Gourm    .    v - +6 chain mail of the Raven {rCorr Str+9 Dex-4 Stlth-}
rNeg   + . .      Faith    +    X - +7 large shield
rPois  +          Spirit   .    D - +2 helmet
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    G - +2 cloak {rPois}
rCorr  +          Reflect  .    R - +0 pair of gloves of the Elephant {*Drain rF+++ SInv}
SustAt .          Harm     .    d - +1 pair of boots of the Sacrificial Victim {Str+4 Slay+3}
MR     +++++                    H - amulet of faith
Stlth  ..........               u - ring of Shaolin {EV+8}
                                C - ring of Aplosas {*Drain +Fly rF+ MR+ Dex+3}

@: non-regenerating, almost entirely resistant to hostile enchantments,
extremely unstealthy
A: damage resistance, recharge devices, deformed body, negative energy
resistance 1, sense surroundings 3, slow regeneration 3
a: Device Recharging, Quick Charge, Device Surge, Renounce Religion, Evoke
Flight
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, silver
DD of Pakellas is pretty much debug mode. Pakellas' balance seems to be thrown off by finding a healing wand, and to a lesser extent teleportation and haste. Offensive wands have difficulty competing with low cost, instant, at-will healing, renewable teleport, or renewable haste. It might be better if there was a way to make it a harder choice versus charging offensive wands, like quick charge being less mana-efficient on big three wands or having quick charge gradually reduce the max charges.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Woo, this game was unexpectedly hard, despite having pretty great gear and resistances.

code:
3152430 Brannock the Swordmaster (level 27, 405/450 HPs)
             Began as a White Draconian Berserker on July 20, 2016.
             Was an Elder of Trog.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 5 runes on July 21, 2016!

The game lasted 03:43:07 (72017 turns).
Trog chews through piety and hunger really quickly and he has a pretty sharp dropoff about the time you're doing Vaults. I should have switched, I suppose, but I didn't want to deal with his wrath. I nearly exhausted all my consumables getting myself out of trouble. I guess this indicates just how strong Gozag's gold distraction aura is, there was a very noticeable difference going through Depths and Zot with essentially the same build but sans the free distractions and the free missed turns.

I could never get rid of that slow-regeneration mutation no matter how much purple I munched on and I think it was partly why I had difficulty. I was relying on my amulet of regeneration to carry me through fights and when I picked up that malmut partway through Vaults suddenly every major battle was a drain on my healing consumables and piety.

Fighting through Vaults and Depths I was frequently thinking "I really would have liked to have an axe." Yes, the commonly parroted wisdom is that axes and cleaving are bad and awful because why would you ever fight more than one monster at once? But in Depths in particular, frequently you won't be able to find a suitable corridor to fight in, and all the shouting draws friends to join the party. I was already blowing through all my teleportation, fog, fear, and blinking scrolls as it was. Cleaving would have quickly cleared out the popcorn (in particular) and given me a lot more breathing room simply by eliminating a lot of chip damage taken. Riposte helped here but there was only so much it could do compared to a good axe.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

What? Screw the wisdom cleaving is awesome

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Cleaving is bad if you use it as an excuse to intentionally fight multiple dangerous things at a time. Cleaving is good if you treat it as a bonus for times you can't avoid fighting while outnumbered. (And to mop up waves of trivial enemies faster)

I think the "commonly parroted wisdom"(which I haven't seen anywhere, although part of that might be avoiding Tavern like the plague) is trying to stop the former, if anything.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 21, 2016

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

So uh... does anyone know what spellpower the Arc Blade's Static Discharge uses? because I just one shot a death yak with 7 bounces :stare:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

long blades with their riposte also seems to work okay against chaff. i think i might prefer them over axes

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Can Of Worms posted:

So uh... does anyone know what spellpower the Arc Blade's Static Discharge uses? because I just one shot a death yak with 7 bounces :stare:

Power is 75-150, cast 1-10 (!) times per hit.

The formula is probably more complicated than it should be.

edit: for future reference, that's 3-380 damage (total), tending toward the lower end.

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 21, 2016

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Haifisch posted:

Cleaving is bad if you use it as an excuse to intentionally fight multiple dangerous things at a time. Cleaving is good if you treat it as a bonus for times you can't avoid fighting while outnumbered. (And to mop up waves of trivial enemies faster)

I think the "commonly parroted wisdom"(which I haven't seen anywhere, although part of that might be avoiding Tavern like the plague) is trying to stop the former, if anything.

O-tabbing through everything with a sick axe is an attractive option if you're not very patient, I wouldn't read too much into it :shrug:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PleasingFungus posted:

To be fair, that's every formula in crawl

Kumog
Dec 28, 2006
Am I your god?
code:
2945242 KumogSA the Hoplite (level 27, 128/179 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Fighter on July 20, 2016.
             Was a High Priest of Elyvilon.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 5 runes on July 21, 2016!

The game lasted 07:17:19 (81358 turns).

KumogSA the Hoplite (Gargoyle Fighter)             Turns: 81358, Time: 07:17:20

Health: 128/179    AC: 61    Str: 33    XL:     27
Magic:  34/42      EV: 12    Int: 18    God:    Elyvilon [*****.]
Gold:   3471       SH: 27    Dex: 11    Spells: 10 memorised, 26 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis .    a - +7 eveningstar (elec)
rCold  + + +      Gourm    .    r - +5 gold dragon armour
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    J - +2 shield of Resistance {rF+ rC+ MR+}
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    G - +1 helmet {Int+3}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    K - +2 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr  .          Reflect  +    t - +1 pair of gloves {archery}
SustAt .          Harm     .    L - +2 pair of boots
MR     ++++.                    N - brooch of Shielding {Reflect SH+8}
Stlth  ..........               D - ring "Leosu" {*Contam rPois rF++ MR+ Str+8}
                                w - ring "Egorph" {+Fly rC++ rN++ Stlth+}
Gargoyle of Elyvilon feels like a monster truck once it gets going. And the explore-for-piety working in the Abyss means no running out of gas.

61 AC, 12 EV, 27 Shielding almost feels unfair to have. Almost.

Kumog fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 21, 2016

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Not letting this die

Replace Shoals with the Crab Shack

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Not letting this die

Replace Shoals with the Crab Shack

This. Add a branch-end unique named Joe, using Norris' old tile (with the surfboard).

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

rj54x posted:

This. Add a branch-end unique named Joe, using Norris' old tile (with the surfboard).

Potions of Pina Coladas

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Any tips for wizards? Mephitic Cloud is so strong early on but my offensive power always plummets by the time I get to the lair and killing anything becomes a struggle, unless I get lucky with god books or spells.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

DarthJeebus posted:

Any tips for wizards? Mephitic Cloud is so strong early on but my offensive power always plummets by the time I get to the lair and killing anything becomes a struggle, unless I get lucky with god books or spells.

That's kind of it. You're at the mercy of the floor god or whatever one you've sided with for getting some good spells going. Otherwise, find a half decent weapon and hope it keeps you alive until you've found some books that let you murder things well.

If you're feeling saucy, dip into orc and hope the guaranteed shops have something that can help you (they usually won't). Otherwise, play it safe and confuse stab everything you can and run away from the stuff you can't. Make friends with rods and wands. Some runs won't ever get off the ground. Others you'll have a book of annihilations and a necronomicon by Lair.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DarthJeebus posted:

Don't you almost have to be unlucky to not find any books by lair that will supplement the wizard book? It's pretty well rounded.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Essentially Wizard is your jack of all trades spellcaster starter. You have a little bit of everything in your starter book for the early, early game. Based on what you find while at that point in the game sort of determines where you head from there. The only tip I'd give is not thinking you have only a single path to follow as a spellcaster.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
go kiku

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, kiku gives you pretty much everything you need to win the game.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

I've been far and away the most successful as Wz playing it more like I play Skald/Warper -- try and get my spells castable with some light armor and start aggressively training up a weapon skill as soon as I find something decent. Summon Imp and Meph Cloud are great complements to a weapon of some sort and make the awkward transition from zero skill to 1.0 delay much less deadly once you find a weapon you like.

Edit: I'm very bad with casters (and crawl) in general so I guess it makes sense that my most consistent way to win with one is to turn it into a tab-man ASAP...

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 21, 2016

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Use Conjure Flame, anything dangerous in lair will happily step in it and get roasted in 2-4 turns.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

And if they're too smart to step into it, plink at them from the other side with whatever ranged options you've found.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Reading random wiki pages and there are some races with custom titles for transloc mastery. Now I have a mission.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18.1-48-g4cf74bf (webtiles) character file.

10636232 Kefit the Petrodigitator (level 27, 199/199 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Earth Elementalist on July 16, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on July 21, 2016!

The game lasted 22:08:22 (157353 turns).

Kefit the Petrodigitator (GrEE)                   Turns: 157353, Time: 22:08:24

Health: 199/199    AC: 33    Str: 15    XL:     27
Magic:  73/73      EV: 32    Int: 24    God:    Vehumet [******]
Gold:   12085      SH:  8    Dex: 18    Spells: 13 memorised, 14 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis .    b - staff of earth
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    i - +2 robe {Archmagi}
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    X - +2 buckler "Ozauczump" {rF+}
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    H - +0 Maxwell's etheric cage {RegenMP+ *Contam rElec MP+4}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    Z - +2 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    Y - +2 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
SustAt .          Harm     .    S - +0 pair of boots of Orawiluixi {*Contam Regen+ MP+9 Stlth+}
MR     +++++                    r - amulet of magic regeneration
Stlth  ++........               G - ring "Lixibofro" {rC+ rN++ MR++}
                                E - ring "Onoigh" {rN+ MR+ MP+9 Dex+3}

@: flying, deflect missiles, almost entirely resistant to hostile enchantments,
unstealthy
A: big wings, negative energy resistance 1, electricity resistance, unbreathing,
petrification resistance, rot immunity, AC +20
a: Stop Flying, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility
0: Orb of Zot
}: 15/15 runes: decaying, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian, icy, bone,
abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark, gossamer
Full dump here.

I didn't think I would be doing Pan/Hell again, but I couldn't resist giving it a shot on a tanky, torment resistant gargoyle with great jewelry. That, and I had to get an online 15 rune win before I could put it behind me forever. This was my first time doing Hell and Pan in about five years, and it hasn't changed much. It's just as sloggy as ever, and full of dumb bullshit like instant red contam from a hell effect that mutates you six times before it wears off and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. What a delightfully interesting mechanic. Luckily I found a lot of cMut this game.

Highlights of the run include:
  • Getting shatter online before Vaults 5, then fainting from hunger during the Vaults 5 ambush. I definitely should have died.
  • Both the Zot 5 lung entrance tunnels being blocked by teleport traps. What the gently caress. Thankfully I could just shatter my way around them.
  • Finding a stack of three acquirement scrolls in Pan. Using all three on wand, with heal wounds as my only non-ID'd wand. Not getting heal wounds wand from any of them. gently caress acquirement.
  • Spending a lot of exp getting controlled blink to 1% failure, and then never casting it a single time.
  • The Cerebov fight. I had no reason to kill him, but it was my final rune and I just had to give it a shot. It was a scary fight full of magic potion and heal wounds use, but ultimately me and my loyal spellforged servitor pulled through.
  • The most boring orb run in existence. The most threatening things I saw were a couple orb guardians.
This was also my first character who could use shatter. It's an odd spell. It destroys anything that doesn't fly, but so many mobs in the late game fly. Even the all the dragon zombie trash in hell flies. That being said, shatter spam was still the best solution to some things, like when Cocytus decides to spawn four shard shrikes surrounding you (seriously what the gently caress is this piece of poo poo monster). In Pan I mostly just spammed LCS so as to avoid waking up the level. High power LCS + spellforged servitor that can only cast LCS and iron shot is real good. Shatter is real good for ninja'ing runes though. I never even saw Dispater, cause I got lucky and shattered away the wall around the rune and aported it the gently caress out of there.

Anyway, it might be time for a break from DCSS. Or it might be time for an ogre...

Kefit fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 22, 2016

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Power is 75-150, cast 1-10 (!) times per hit.

edit: for future reference, that's 3-380 damage (total), tending toward the lower end.
code:
You puncture the large slime creature!
The large slime creature is struck by lightning.
The large slime creature is lightly wounded.
The lightning arcs! You are struck by lightning. You resist. The lightning arcs!
The large slime creature is lightly wounded.
The lightning arcs! You are struck by lightning. You resist. The lightning arcs!
The large slime creature is moderately wounded.
The lightning grounds out.
The large slime creature is moderately wounded.
The large slime creature is heavily wounded.
The large slime creature is severely wounded.
The large slime creature is severely wounded.
The large slime creature is almost dead.
The lightning arcs! You are struck by lightning. You resist. The lightning grounds out.
You kill the large slime creature!
:thumbsup::lol:

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I've got a deep elf summoner who's got like 22 summoning but zero conjuration (lol) I have poison arrow from a sif book and spellforged servitor... all my spells are basically summons except for meph and regen... if I learn p arrow and servitor, will it cast parrow even tho I can't cast it?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

No, IIRC you need at least a 50% fail rate or better to be eligible for casting.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

cool, I figured it wouldn't work. I've got summon hydra and menagerie at 1% and dragon's call semi-castable and a +9 vampire double sword so I don't need any other advantages

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

oh yeah i forgot discharge can, er, chain. so i think that's actually 3-3420 damage

theoretically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

wew lads

PleasingFungus posted:

oh yeah i forgot discharge can, er, chain. so i think that's actually 3-3420 damage

theoretically.
lol

• Locked thread