Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I don't know what I'm doing

Gaudreau - Couture -?
Kane - Stastny - Nylander

? - Letang
? - Johnson

Stebe

I really like my top six so far, playmakers and snipers and speedy players and I feel like Couture/Stastny is a solid one-two combo for the 30 games they'll both be healthy. Letang is an elite defenseman and puckmover and Johnson is no slouch as a second pair anchor/playmaker. Mason is a top tier goalie who will hopefully pick up the slack next year again. I'm not happy about my RW/LD positions and options coming up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
It's been over 2 hours, I'm good to make my pick right?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

mentholmoose picked at 2:57, Svejk's time expires at 4:57 so we got some time still

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Aye Doc posted:

mentholmoose picked at 2:57, Svejk's time expires at 4:57 so we got some time still

Huh...I just noticed that my system time is not synched to the SA Offical Post Time and I am an hour ahead. No idea how I have missed this.

Sorry.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Man you guys really hosed this for me. Those last 3 picks were my top 3 guys. J.T. Miller was my #1 choice and he came so close but I guess I'll have to make do.

I'm taking Rick Nash.
He's old and was broken a lot last season, and he has nearly infinite money on the books for two more seasons but I think he's probably the most skilled scoring winger left to take (with the possible exception of that one with the giant, forever contract).
His shooting totals and percentages were both down last season, so I don't see why it would be unreasonable to expect him to perk back up and hit 20-30 goals again. Hell, maybe he can do the repeat with 40 but I'm not counting on that.
Point being is he was once elite and I've seen him take over games when he needed to, so here's to hoping he's got some of that left in him for the next few seasons.

Nash - Monahan - Tarasenko
x - Staal - x

Maatta - Jones
De Haan - Parayko

Gibson

Flyinglemur can pick now.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Well, I know I'm doing something right if I took somebody else's number one choice.

I'd like to hear a few words on the faux-Lightning if people get the chance. There was a hell of an emphasis on defense this draft, moreso than the previous ones, and I think it skipping D-men in the first few picks might come back to bite me in the rear end; on the other hand I couldn't have snagged so many good forwards if I had taken more D-men.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mentholmoose posted:

Well, I know I'm doing something right if I took somebody else's number one choice.

I'd like to hear a few words on the faux-Lightning if people get the chance. There was a hell of an emphasis on defense this draft, moreso than the previous ones, and I think it skipping D-men in the first few picks might come back to bite me in the rear end; on the other hand I couldn't have snagged so many good forwards if I had taken more D-men.

Your forwards are really good (with the caveat of Daniel Sedin being without Henrik is a universe-ending level offense) but you are right about your D. I think there are some veterans still on the board that could stabilize it a bit but it really depends on who falls back to you. I guess if anything the Pens have just show us that you don't need shot-suppression superstars to make it to win it big.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'm so happy about this pick I'm gonna do a celebration...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-OJgZkiunA

The Ducks select RW Nail Yakupov because I believe he will be traded somewhere and really come out of his shell and celebrate all over everyone's asses.

Boomer you are up.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Drew Stafford.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Otis Reddit has until 7:05 to pick. he is followed by The RECAPITATOR and ThinkTank

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

Flyinglemur posted:

I'm so happy about this pick I'm gonna do a celebration...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-OJgZkiunA

The Ducks select RW Nail Yakupov because I believe he will be traded somewhere and really come out of his shell and celebrate all over everyone's asses.

Boomer you are up.

:stare: god drat... Yak... you were supposed to me mine.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like the Nash pick. He's still a productive player with those great fancies

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Otis is skipped, The RECAPITATOR has until 9:05

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

Otis is skipped, The RECAPITATOR has until 9:05

Choosing. Wisely.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Choosing. Wisely.

Please don't.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

I will select Jean-Gabriel Pageau.

He is tiny, but he's good as far as I can tell. This guy managed 43 points on a terrible line, with 7 goals shorthanded (the most).
I have no doubt that given some quality players on his line he should be able to produce even more. Also he is from the same lovely town as I am.
$900k next year then RFA. Presently 23 years young.

1 : Filip Forsberg - Alex Galchenyuk - Andreas Athanasiou
2 : Artemi Panarin - Jean Gabriel Pageau - Rickard Rakell
3 : ?? - ?? - ??
4 : ?? - ?? - ??

D1 : Noah Hanifin - Morgan Reilly
D2 : ?? - ??
D3 : ?? - ??

G : Petr Mrazek

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I was hoping he would fall to me. Pageau is loving awesome. 19 goals and 43 points despite starting in the defensive zone almost 70% of the time. Playing against the top lines in the league as a 23 year-old. Love the guy

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ThinkTank is up followed by Paulocaust and stab. let's go late night picking crew

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

The RECAPITATOR posted:

I said don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I like Pageau I took him last year or the year before I forget

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I was hoping he would fall to me. Pageau is loving awesome. 19 goals and 43 points despite starting in the defensive zone almost 70% of the time. Playing against the top lines in the league as a 23 year-old. Love the guy

The scoring was carried 100% by Stone. I like him but he's not a real 40 point guy.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

The RECAPITATOR posted:

He is tiny, but he's good as far as I can tell. This guy managed 43 points on a terrible line, with 7 goals shorthanded (the most).
I have no doubt that given some quality players on his line he should be able to produce even more. Also he is from the same lovely town as I am.
$900k next year then RFA. Presently 23 years young.

1 : Filip Forsberg - Alex Galchenyuk - Andreas Athanasiou
2 : Artemi Panarin - Jean Gabriel Pageau - Rickard Rakell
3 : ?? - ?? - ??
4 : ?? - ?? - ??

D1 : Noah Hanifin - Morgan Reilly
D2 : ?? - ??
D3 : ?? - ??

G : Petr Mrazek

That defense, man...

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I wasn't planning on taking yet another centre but I'll take Bo Horvat.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Habibi posted:

That defense, man...

What defense?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Ive got the worst pick in history ready since ive hosed this team beyone belief but i leave town for the weekend tomorrow morning so hurry up and pick paulocaust

Dont worry...im sure you wont take my disaster player

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

stab posted:

Ive got the worst pick in history ready since ive hosed this team beyone belief but i leave town for the weekend tomorrow morning so hurry up and pick paulocaust

Dont worry...im sure you wont take my disaster player

I'm sure David Clarkson will still be available.

Rielly is good and Hanifin probably will be too but I'm not sure if they're ready to play 30 minutes every night.

Infidel Castro posted:

How so? He's not an elite level goalie by any means but he's a solid average NHL starter, which I would expect to get with the 18th goalie selected. Like I said, it was a fallback selection since I was rolling the dice on one of the three guys I mentioned falling back to me.

Andersen put up average (last year) and slightly above average (this year) numbers on one of the best defensive teams in the league. Mostly I'm just bitter that the Leafs traded picks for him and signed him for 5 years at an above-market rate for no discernible reason.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 21, 2016

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Habibi posted:

That defense, man...

That forward group too...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Habibi posted:

That defense, man...

Mrazek should be used to playing without a defense...
and a solid forward group for that matter.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Gonna snag Michael Del Zotto because I realize now that I know barely half the players in the Western Conference.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Otis Reddit posted:

Gonna snag Michael Del Zotto because I realize now that I know barely half the players in the Western Conference.

OH YOU MOTHERFUCKER

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I feel like my team is more than good enough to lose to any other team in 7 games

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Otis Reddit posted:

I almost took him instead of Donskoi. If he was a right-handed shot I probably would have too.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I'll be able to pick tomorrow

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Give me Cody Ceci

Neal-Getzlaf-Kane
Ladd-Jenner-Marleau

Seabrook-Weber
Ceci

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Having a blast with some friends so making the worst pick ever so when i see this ill go wtf i actually draftef this shithead whats wrong with you stab

bobby ryan

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

stab posted:

Having a blast with some friends so making the worst pick ever so when i see this ill go wtf i actually draftef this shithead whats wrong with you stab

bobby ryan

There's something to be said for a twenty goal scorer, but this dude is is pretty much right out of flatland and his contract scared me away. I'd like to hear what other folks think of him and if that stigma is fairly earned (I'm guessing considering how far he fell most agree that it is)

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Ceci is long gone, isn't he?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Ceci is long gone, isn't he?

Doesn't seem like it unless someone botched his name. Probably slipped because he's rocking those Cam Fowler fancies

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

All right, with pick 260 Chicago selects Ryan Strome. He's a natural center but played on the wing last year, his goal scoring stepped back but otherwise he had decent stats per 60 and shot generation. He's not signed yet so who knows what kind of contract he's going to end up with? That's exciting. Plus I already drafted Dylan and it's fun when brothers play together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

There's something to be said for a twenty goal scorer, but this dude is is pretty much right out of flatland and his contract scared me away. I'd like to hear what other folks think of him and if that stigma is fairly earned (I'm guessing considering how far he fell most agree that it is)

I just figured his career path is gonna crater so hard it might cause an extinction event.

• Locked thread