Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The FUGS, the Burger King Sword, Izalith Staff, Izalith Tome, that's about it.

Oh and there's an Estus Shard and Undead Bone Ash too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Action Tortoise posted:

maybe so, but he needs a snickers or something

That is also true.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Deceitful Penguin posted:

hmmm, let's see what was the full title of that game again

(I know it's not written by him but the brand has that rep of HARD MEN MAKE HARD CHOICES OO RAH)
how loving terrible are you at shooters if it took you 20 hours to beat a game that's around 6 ish hours to beat. Do you have like, literal sausages for fingers or are you one of those people that play with their feet this is relevant because
How loving ADD riddled are you dude if you can't tolerate a fairly rapid build up of increasingly dubious poo poo until finally you have gameplay elements outside the story drawing attention to what you are doing in the game and questioning why you enjoy it.

It's only in the last fifth that the game actually goes outside the 4th wall to draw attention to this. There's been relatively few games that actually do this (Eternal Darkness being perhaps the most famous example, thought MGS did it with the back of the CD case) but whatever.

At its core it is loving exactly the same goddamn game as the ones it's targeting; it's a singleplayer shooter with Nolan North as the main character who singlehandedly murders hordes of enemies to triumph in a fairly typical power fantasy, at least at the start. It then subverts it by making you do increasingly dubious poo poo for less reasonable reasons then directly calling you out for it, both in game and outside it, in a way that is extremely jarring and novel.

How the hell is that not subversion? And furthermore did you think that maybe, just maybe, the intended audience of the game was more likely to have never encountered criticism of this type before and therefore the sledgehammer might be more suitable than the chisel?
This is the dumbest loving thing I've read about Dark Souls in months and I'm a huge nerd for the series that has been playing it since Kings Field 4. It's exactly the sorta smug idiocy where you get to feel superior to others by inferring non-existing patterns from what is ultimately a game not about facts but atmosphere and mood but drat, if you see something those drat casuals don't.
Huhuhu, I don't feel bad about that thur character in that thur fictional work dying cuz it aint a real purson hyuck hyuck
Good to see you know about as much about history and games as Levine does
Kotor 2 is probably the best Star Wars game, storywise, which is admittedly faint praise but at least it had several good and novel points to it

You seem upset.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

HaB posted:

You seem upset.

This is what video games do to people which is why we need to get rid of video games

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HaB posted:

You seem upset.

Actually, he's right.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

This is what video games do to people which is why we need to get rid of video games
Video games are fine. We need to get rid of the people that play them.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

oldpainless more like oldgameless more like you should game less because you are old

E: also you have no game

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Smouldering Lake drags down Dark Souls 3 - it's an optional area but it's one that's fairly easy to reach if you take a turn at essentially a two pronged fork in the game.

I guess it's designed to test the player but it does so in the cheapest way possible for Dark Souls. You start by getting sandwiched between a giant laser spitting worm and a giant ballista that will shoot you with giant bolts, three at a time relentlessly. There are certain cover positions but not that many. Sure, you can kill the worm but upon entry you can do nothing about the ballista. And if you run away from the giant worm? Giant crabs instead rear end in a top hat.

So then the giant ballista blows a hole in the floor. Hooray, right? Wrong. Instead it's tight corridors full of pyromancers and Oolacile looking motherfuckers who have a "jump on your head" unblockable attack that was taking my level 55 guy down in two hits.

I haven't reached the boss yet but I'm sure that's as much of a kick in the dick as the path to shut off the ballista (it's full of enemies that can turn you to stone and swarm you).

ETA: I know the Dark Souls games are challenging, but it's usually in a way that can be overcome with patience and timing. Getting swarmed by multiple enemies while a giant cannon shoots your face off is not challenging, it's bullshit. There's no skillful way to handle that situation.

The boss is actually right behind the worm. The whole lava minecraft castle full of goat assholes is just to give you a path to turn off the ballista. :downs: Smouldering lake is bad.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It seems like gamers spent a long time desperate for video games to be taken seriously and then when people actually start analyzing them critically the way they do books and film, half the time they just go "oh, you caremad?"

I didn't bother reading Deceitful Penguin's post, though.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Actually, he's right.

CJacobs posted:

Deceitful Penguin is not wrong.

Whether he's right or not has nothing to do with why that post is so embarrassing.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm sure there's a mod, or a tweak in the game files to fix it, but in Mount and Blade: Warband, when you start your own kingdom, it is impossible to keep your lords happy.

Every time you give a lord land, you get a +10 to your relationship with them; but every other lord gets a -2 to -4 loss. It basically limits you to 6 lords max, and that amount can't adequately defend a growing kingdom. I guess you can make the lords loyal to you before taking them on as your vassals, negating the relationship loss, but that would take a huge amount of time (plus I didn't know that). I read that you can make them less unhappy by asking everyone who they think deserves the new land, and picking the most popular - but mine always just support themselves. Once they hate you, even helping them doesn't help. If I save a lord in trouble he blames me for trying to steal his glory.

I love the game so much, but this is killing me. My lords won't do anything I ask, and if I get into a fight in front of them they wont help. I even tried to throw a feast to boost relations, but nobody came :(

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Nuebot posted:

The boss is actually right behind the worm. The whole lava minecraft castle full of goat assholes is just to give you a path to turn off the ballista. :downs: Smouldering lake is bad.

Oh, I know where the boss is, I was just going down this other path so I can say I explored it thoroughly.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

oldpainless posted:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Somfin posted:

oldpainless more like oldgameless

How has this become my life?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
"Gamer, lay down your games!"

"Normie!"
*points with master sword*
"Come and take them!"

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

Once they hate you, even helping them doesn't help. If I save a lord in trouble he blames me for trying to steal his glory.

Reminds me of Sid Meier's Pirates!, where I was once chewed out by a Spanish governor for attacking a Spanish ship. The fact that the ship was holding his daughter, who had been kidnapped by one of the governor's own men turned traitor, and that I had boarded it to rescue her apparently didn't count as an extenuating circumstance.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Spanish were huge shitters in Pirates! anyway.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

It's been forever since I've played it, but I feel like Pirates and Mount and Blade scratch a similar itch. Fighting progressively bigger enemies in the field, working on your relationships and budgets in the towns.

See also: the flash game Fishy

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

The Spanish were huge shitters in Pirates! anyway.

God yes. I would always pick anyone but the Spanish. Rich bastards with their decent ships and well-defended towns :argh:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I actually like video games

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

(I know it's not written by him but the brand has that rep of HARD MEN MAKE HARD CHOICES OO RAH)
He also can't write it because he's dead.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

How has this become my life?

Probably because, although you are a good person on the inside, your aggressive online persona prevents people from getting to know you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Captain Lavender posted:

It's been forever since I've played it, but I feel like Pirates and Mount and Blade scratch a similar itch. Fighting progressively bigger enemies in the field, working on your relationships and budgets in the towns.

Can you become a quadruple-duke and marry four beautiful governor's daughters at the same time in Mount & Blade? Because that's what I did in Pirates.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Can you become a quadruple-duke and marry four beautiful governor's daughters at the same time in Mount & Blade? Because that's what I did in Pirates.

There is probably a mod for that.

The thing dragging the new Hitman down (aside from... well, most of it) is the online connectivity requirement. gently caress that bullshit. You can meticulously work your way through a mission, with multiple backup saves in case you've gone wrong somewhere, then - wait, no, gently caress you, game paused on a menu screen, your internet (or the servers) dropped for an eighth of a second, do you want to retry connecting or go back to the menu? Uh, no I just want to go back to playing my game, thanks. That's not an option? Well, fine, retry. Oh, the reconnection ability of the game is spotty at best, so you can be stuck on the "Reconnecting" screen forever while you can see your internet is working fine elsewhere.
Ok, gently caress it, I'll go back to the menu and play offline. Sure, but all your online saves are unavailable, so you must start the mission over.

I get that the solution is to never play online, but that's the default setting (and I don't think there is an "start offline" option) and it's a real kick in the nads if you forget to tell it to not connect, get halfway through a mission then get hosed over for it. It really makes me not want to continue playing.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I actually like video games

You are still a good person.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Captain Forever Remix is a really good game, but the fact that if an enemy accidentally suicides all of its ship parts disappear really chafes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Reminds me of Sid Meier's Pirates!, where I was once chewed out by a Spanish governor for attacking a Spanish ship. The fact that the ship was holding his daughter, who had been kidnapped by one of the governor's own men turned traitor, and that I had boarded it to rescue her apparently didn't count as an extenuating circumstance.

Given the mentality of the European powers at the time this actually sounds kind of accurate.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Oolacile looking motherfuckers who have a "jump on your head" unblockable attack that was taking my level 55 guy down in two hits.

Those guys are the biggest assholes in DS3. That jumps comes out so quick I could spam straight sword R1 and they'd still get it off between hits and Mario me to death. I had more trouble with them than any boss in the game barring two late game optional ones Nameless King and Gundy's Revenge.

Everything about Smouldering Lake is a chore, the tunnels being a minor reskin of the immediate previous area didn't help it either. It's like they had a week to make it, spend most of it drinking and partying, and threw it together on Friday in a hungover stupor and shipped it as it was.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Like, this is not some super complex, it is literally loving asking you to be critical about the medium you are enjoying, which vast swathes of the people enjoying it have never, ever done and videogames especially avoid like the loving plague because they are shallow, insipid garbage by and large

Dude you clearly play a lot of videogames, why do gamers hate themselves so much so often? Just chill and enjoy your hobby :)

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

how loving terrible are you at shooters if it took you 20 hours to beat a game that's around 6 ish hours to beat. Do you have like, literal sausages for fingers or are you one of those people that play with their feet this is relevant because
How loving ADD riddled are you dude if you can't tolerate a fairly rapid build up of increasingly dubious poo poo until finally you have gameplay elements outside the story drawing attention to what you are doing in the game and questioning why you enjoy it.

It's only in the last fifth that the game actually goes outside the 4th wall to draw attention to this. There's been relatively few games that actually do this (Eternal Darkness being perhaps the most famous example, thought MGS did it with the back of the CD case) but whatever.

At its core it is loving exactly the same goddamn game as the ones it's targeting; it's a singleplayer shooter with Nolan North as the main character who singlehandedly murders hordes of enemies to triumph in a fairly typical power fantasy, at least at the start. It then subverts it by making you do increasingly dubious poo poo for less reasonable reasons then directly calling you out for it, both in game and outside it, in a way that is extremely jarring and novel.

How the hell is that not subversion? And furthermore did you think that maybe, just maybe, the intended audience of the game was more likely to have never encountered criticism of this type before and therefore the sledgehammer might be more suitable than the chisel?
This is the dumbest loving thing I've read about Dark Souls in months and I'm a huge nerd for the series that has been playing it since Kings Field 4. It's exactly the sorta smug idiocy where you get to feel superior to others by inferring non-existing patterns from what is ultimately a game not about facts but atmosphere and mood but drat, if you see something those drat casuals don't.
Huhuhu, I don't feel bad about that thur character in that thur fictional work dying cuz it aint a real purson hyuck hyuck
Good to see you know about as much about history and games as Levine does
Kotor 2 is probably the best Star Wars game, storywise, which is admittedly faint praise but at least it had several good and novel points to it

ohhhhh now I understand

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm sure there's a mod, or a tweak in the game files to fix it, but in Mount and Blade: Warband, when you start your own kingdom, it is impossible to keep your lords happy.

Every time you give a lord land, you get a +10 to your relationship with them; but every other lord gets a -2 to -4 loss. It basically limits you to 6 lords max, and that amount can't adequately defend a growing kingdom. I guess you can make the lords loyal to you before taking them on as your vassals, negating the relationship loss, but that would take a huge amount of time (plus I didn't know that). I read that you can make them less unhappy by asking everyone who they think deserves the new land, and picking the most popular - but mine always just support themselves. Once they hate you, even helping them doesn't help. If I save a lord in trouble he blames me for trying to steal his glory.

I love the game so much, but this is killing me. My lords won't do anything I ask, and if I get into a fight in front of them they wont help. I even tried to throw a feast to boost relations, but nobody came :(

Here's the thing, the same modifiers apply to the AI kingdoms, so about after a year in-game you will start seeing regular indictments and defections of certain lords due to low vassal relations. Those indictments themselves lower relations with the remaining lords, who also get pushed into dissatisfaction and end up defecting or getting indicted. It starts off a ridiculous chain reaction where you can end up with several lords swapping kingdoms every single day. The base game is basically broken because of this. It also seems like something that could be easily mitigated by tweaking some of the values, and in fact it's simple to do this with certain mods, so the fact that it still hasn't been fixed is baffling. It honestly makes me wary of getting Bannerlord.

My suggestion is to use TweakMB to change the values around to something that seems reasonable to you.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Smouldering Lake drags down Dark Souls 3 - it's an optional area but it's one that's fairly easy to reach if you take a turn at essentially a two pronged fork in the game.

I guess it's designed to test the player but it does so in the cheapest way possible for Dark Souls. You start by getting sandwiched between a giant laser spitting worm and a giant ballista that will shoot you with giant bolts, three at a time relentlessly. There are certain cover positions but not that many. Sure, you can kill the worm but upon entry you can do nothing about the ballista. And if you run away from the giant worm? Giant crabs instead rear end in a top hat.

So then the giant ballista blows a hole in the floor. Hooray, right? Wrong. Instead it's tight corridors full of pyromancers and Oolacile looking motherfuckers who have a "jump on your head" unblockable attack that was taking my level 55 guy down in two hits.

I haven't reached the boss yet but I'm sure that's as much of a kick in the dick as the path to shut off the ballista (it's full of enemies that can turn you to stone and swarm you).

ETA: I know the Dark Souls games are challenging, but it's usually in a way that can be overcome with patience and timing. Getting swarmed by multiple enemies while a giant cannon shoots your face off is not challenging, it's bullshit. There's no skillful way to handle that situation.

If you run past the giant lightning worm towards the fog gate there is a little beach that you can hang out on where the worm can't physically reach you. You just have to dodge it's lightning breath and the giant Aveline Ballista will take it out in 3 or 4 shots.

I agree that starting this generation the Souls games have leaned too heavily on the " You can't stand still in this area because you will be blown the gently caress up" levels. Bloodborn had the gatling gun guy, the Amygdala lasers and the frenzy castle. Dark Souls 3 had Smouldering Lake, the giant archer in the Undead Settlement and a few others. It's a pretty lazy way to cover up an underwhelming area. Most of the areas you can neutralize the threat ( You can turn off the balista in Smouldering Lake fyi) but by the time you do get them to stop you've most likely explored everything and gotten all the items you would want.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

HaB posted:

You seem upset.
Nah, I just enjoy yelling at morons. It's very cathartic and if you ever find anyone dumber than you (unlikely though it may be) I recommend trying it out.

Maybe when you manage to write a post where every single point isn't poo poo, you can try it out for size

ArtIsResistance posted:

Dude you clearly play a lot of videogames, why do gamers hate themselves so much so often? Just chill and enjoy your hobby :)
You can enjoy stuff while still being fully aware of what it is. Most games (that I play) are enjoyable garbage, same as most books or movies. Games, being more usually just straight up escapism are more prone to fall into this but on the other hand I'd also say that you can enjoy them a lot more if you really get into them.

oldpainless posted:

I would say that actually, one of the most important things about videogames is how they allow you to vent and relax against both fake people and internet strangers rather than those around you. Though I do still sometimes feel bad about making GBS threads on internet strangers afterwards.

A thing dragging Yakuza 5 down; the interface stuff is still stuck in the PS2 era, with it having to save every time you change your options, repeated, slow prompts to pick things up and an inventory system that hasn't changed in more than a decade.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm more interested in what posters have to say when they aren't responding to every post on the page. Pick one person to respond to, no need to repeat yourself with different adjectives just so you can feel like you covered all your bases. And for the love of god, don't humor trolls.

Content: I wish Furi had a more comprehensive tutorial process. Very weird to explain a slew of mechanics during the tutorial level and then have a "How To Play" section that covers a completely different set of moves.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Deceitful Penguin is not wrong.

If you're a huge raging rear end in a top hat like he was, nobody cares if you're right, they just want you to shut up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I do not blame him for being passionate about a topic that ends with people arguing in circles 100% of the time it comes up on the internet.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

If you're a huge raging rear end in a top hat like he was, nobody cares if you're right, they just want you to shut up.
On one hand, of course being dickish is the opposite of constructive when it comes to discussions

on the other hand do you really want to spend your life constructively arguing with people that take 20 hours to finish a 6 hour game that fine boilerplate deconstruction/subversions 'silly'

Is your time really worth that little?

Also I'm always vaguely sad that nothing will ever top the redtext with laughin Hassan Nasrallah with the Israeli Eurovision song. Though this one has the advantage of simply being my own words, instead of being the reflections of a pathetic transhumanist, so moving on up

vvv

I mean, I can vaguely cop to that being a really dickish thing to say that I probs wouldn't do now, but I can just think of so many things to get for 10 bux that aren't trying to own random internet strangers

Deceitful Penguin has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Jul 21, 2016

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Holy poo poo someone was real mad about Deceitful Penguin's Dark Souls post.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i mean, if you get someone so mad they drop :10bux: on you, you've made it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish red text avatars showed who bought them at the end.