Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ensign Expendable posted:

My 2.5 km bike commute counts as 200-300 meters by the game, good luck with that.

Yeah, when it came out I decided to see how it'd handle being on a bike, took 10 miles before it registered 1KM. I don't bother using it on my bike anymore.

Rastor posted:

One of the most surprising things to me about this thread has been the weird revulsion to running a Python script.

I think those comments must all be from people who have zero idea what Python is because Python is easy and fun. Literally children can do it.

The next time the servers are down and you can't play Pokemon Go (should be any minute now) go here:

https://www.codecademy.com/learn/python

Log in and learn a little bit of Python. A minimal understanding of writing code is a valuable life skill in the year 2016. You might surprise yourself.

Not that surprising. Some people just aren't technical. Python being an "easier" language to learn won't change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Wait, what the gently caress? People are using drones to fly around and take gyms?

I guess it is clever in a trust fund baby kind of way, but it is certainly an achievement in laziness

If that thing is under $100 I'm getting it

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ensign Expendable posted:

My 2.5 km bike commute counts as 200-300 meters by the game, good luck with that.

Bike mode really needs to be a thing. The max speed for credit is what, 15km/h or so? That's going to be trivial to surpass on a bike.

SynthOrange posted:

Water bodies have water types.

Where can I find an open volcano?

Iceland and Hawaii are gonna be rolling in Charizards. :argh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I saw some green stuff puffing up on the map occasionally. Sort of looked like rustling grass, and my brother said if you go to them a pokemon will appear. So I did that and nothing happened and he said "oh yeah I dunno how they actually work" :geno:

Is this actually a mechanic or is he crazy?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I saw some green stuff puffing up on the map occasionally. Sort of looked like rustling grass, and my brother said if you go to them a pokemon will appear. So I did that and nothing happened and he said "oh yeah I dunno how they actually work" :geno:

We don't know. That's the theory though.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
IIRC rustling grass just means that point has a slightly higher chance of having a Pokemon. If you're tracking a certain Pokemon (when the 3 step bug gets fixed) at <3 steps and see rustling grass nearby, you may as well check it out.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

gently caress this game

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Birdstrike posted:

gently caress this game

More like Batstrike

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Beasteh posted:

haha what the gently caress is this post

You can buy the beefiest servers around, but if your logins depend on an external system Like Pokémon Trainer accounts ... And it's never had to deal with the traffic Pokémon Go generates, you quickly have a real weak link in your whole setup that'll make the whole works go tits ip.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

The grass roughly corresponds to spawn points. But pokemon spawn and despawn at certain times, so you're not guaranteed to find a pokemon there at the time you walk by.

Each grass is on a different timer. If you frequent a spot, you can figure out when you can find pokemon there (one by my house has them on the hour for about ten minutes).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why would that screw with sensible people using their Google accounts?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

:patriot:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

humpthewind posted:

More like Batstrike

hahaha

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Trying to pidgey farm late at Level 18 is a bitch. These 270cp+ pidgies are killing my berries and balls. Should I just start from the beginning?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Not bad, a good 70%er there.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

gohmak posted:

Trying to pidgey farm late at Level 18 is a bitch. These 270cp+ pidgies are killing my berries and balls. Should I just start from the beginning?

No, never stop pidgey farming. I'm 24 and I collect everything. Don't start over, get good at throwing curve balls.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

gohmak posted:

I'm level 20 and I don't bother with garbage tier Pokemon over 200 CP. This does slow your leveling somewhat, but I found that I see a lot more Pokemon in general at higher levels so it evens out.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Zotix posted:

No, never stop pidgey farming. I'm 24 and I collect everything. Don't start over, get good at throwing curve balls.

Someone needs to make an app that is just ball throwing where you can practice unlimited times and copy the mechanics as close as they can.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

greatn posted:

Why would that screw with sensible people using their Google accounts?

It wouldn't. But if Niantec offers two ways of logging in, they have to support both. There are millions of people using PTC logins and can't play the game.
We're forums people, generally more clued in than the general public, so, if we see something like this:

Well, duh, of course we're going to use google's auth system.

But to anyone who doesn't because they're unsophisticated, or kids, their experience is the same:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just got this bro from a 10k egg @ level 18. Have never seen one before, even as a silhouette on the radar. Every time I hate this game it throws me a bone

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Zotix posted:

I'm great with my throws but it still takes 2-3 red balls a pidgey if they are over 250. It's taken me 10 days to get to Lvl 18 and even with a good collection of Pokémon my highest is still only a 900cp Venomoth. I'm thinking I should start a new account and pidgeyfarm from the start. I figure that by next week I'll be back to this level with 60k stardust.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

gohmak posted:

I'm great with my throws but it still takes 2-3 red balls a pidgey if they are over 250. It's taken me 10 days to get to Lvl 18 and even with a good collection of Pokémon my highest is still only a 900cp Venomoth. I'm thinking I should start a new account and pidgeyfarm from the start. I figure that by next week I'll be back to this level with 60k stardust.

no. quick throw is good too. https://gfycat.com/AdmiredEachDevilfish

What is starting over going to do for you?

Zotix fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 21, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It would be cool if they introduced TMs and gave a large portion of Pokestops a move you could use on them to get more bonuses. Not sure what you would get TMs from though.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Zotix posted:

Seconding learning to throw curveballs. It's more or less balanced out my complaints about how much more Pokemon escape in the level 20s in that I'm not wasting my Great/Ultra balls. I don't know if curveballs also help prevent escaping like how Niantic said smaller circles do, but I can almost swear it does.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

Iceland and Hawaii are gonna be rolling in Charizards. :argh:

I think the fire pokemon might have relaxed standards or something. I'm in Texas, and there's a spot about a mile from my apartment that is just oozing Magmars.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I just calced out an 87% magikarp. I'm tempted to Gyarados it, but I have a bunch of others I need to test out tomorrow. I need to farm like 50k dust after work. :/

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I hatched a 94% karp today, and I also finally got over 400 candy, so now I'm just waiting till I have a few more evolves to do for an egg.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Big McHuge posted:

I hatched a 94% karp today, and I also finally got over 400 candy, so now I'm just waiting till I have a few more evolves to do for an egg.

Which calc are you using?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Zotix posted:

no. quick throw is good too. https://gfycat.com/AdmiredEachDevilfish

What is starting over going to do for you?

Is that just swiping as soon as it pops up? I've been throwing curveballs but that seems easier...

Also, is there a substantial difference in the cp of pokémon I'll catch at 20 vs 23? Right now I'm halfway through 20 with 74 evolves, just about enough to get to 23, but I'm not sure whether I should just sit on this or not.

I foolishly spent all my survey money on lucky eggs, so that's definitely not a limiting factor, but I'm not sure how to weigh the befits of being higher level versus an easier time catching pokémon.

I'm tempted to just go for it, but I dunno. I've got a ~1000 cp magmar/3x pinsir/electabuzz crew that can pretty much take on any gym, so that's not an issue, but if being 23 vs 20 will let me see cooler/stronger pokémon I may as well go for it.

Also, is there a guideline for the point at which it makes sense to start testing IVs versus just waiting for stronger pokémon?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Zotix posted:

Which calc are you using?

The one posted a few pages back, I think. Are there multiple ones out there now?

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

Rastor posted:

Hrm. I tried to keep it friendly and upbeat. Was it the "children can do it" thing? Because I said that to emphasize the "it's easy and fun" aspect.

You don't need to apologize to anyone who cannot or will not bother to learn Python.

You never need to apologize to people like that.

Being too tech-phobic to learn python is like saying you can't learn to drive because Jesus Christ it's got two different pedals and there are all these signs everywhere my god it's madness.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

You don't even really need to "learn" python per say, you just need to know how to run the scripts. Though, learning it is pretty fun.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Last night I went to a poke go meeting. It was fun, we all walked around and had a great time, and it was hilarious, invigorating, and exciting, to watch an entire group of adults make a mad dash when the Snorlax, Nidoqueen, and Scyther showed up.

The game isn't perfect, but it's allowed for lot of fun.

I hope things get stabilized so there are many more nights like that

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I went for a walk for a couple of hours, ended up mainly just doing laps of my university because that's where 80% of the pokestops in my area are. I got a 900cp Electabuzz which was cool. Has anyone else noticed that they're getting more balls from the stops than before? I wanted revives but might have picked up 10 in 2 hours while scoring over 100 red balls.

SynthOrange posted:

Water bodies have water types.

Where can I find an open volcano?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_volcanoes_in_Australia#Australian_states

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Try https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_Mountain

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I haven't seen anything written about this but I'm wondering if anyone has seen anything reported from the game code about this.

My anecdotal evidence (and I appreciate this is just my singular experience) from levelling with my friend to level 22 is that he repeatedly caught higher level pokemon than me every step of the way and I believe it was because he was evolving and levelling his collection up. At level 20 my maximum wild pokemon was a 700 and I never saw anything higher until I evolved my Vaporeon (1600), Slowbro (1300), Golduck (1300), etc. All of a sudden in the next 24 hours I have seen numerous wild pokemon in the 900-1100 area.

My theory is that wild pokemon will rarely spawn at a level that is outside the range of your existing pokemon. By increasing the CP of your best pokemon in your collection you will see better wild pokemon versus someone of the same player level who does not do this.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

There is literally a place called Fire Mountain near my home. It probably has ground types and rock types.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I just finished another evolution spree and I'm just shy of hitting level 22. However I'm basically just admiring this beauty at the moment:

I only needed three powerups to hit that point as well; that Eevee was jacked. Unfortunately, my next five strongest pokémon are also water type with water main attacks. My team needs some diversity real bad.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Visual Sneeze posted:

I just finished another evolution spree and I'm just shy of hitting level 22. However I'm basically just admiring this beauty at the moment:

I only needed three powerups to hit that point as well; that Eevee was jacked. Unfortunately, my next five strongest pokémon are also water type with water main attacks. My team needs some diversity real bad.

I mean, this is the core problem with using only the first generation: it's roughly 1/3 water types and 1/3 poison types, with no overlap between the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

These minor text updates better be the greatest goddamn text updates in history :argh:

Unlike a lot of folk ITT, this is the first time the game has been offline for me since Sunday. Sunday was terrible between server downtime and my cellphone network blocking traffic for the game. But apparently the cellphone network (O2 in the UK) were busy reconfiguring things to reduce latency when connecting to the Go servers. Since they did that, the major bugs have occurred less frequently, especially the Pokeball Screen of Death during captures and the 1HP gym bug.

I'm really grateful that they did so, but it must suck for them having to undertake massive changes like that just because everyone is playing a crappy game that can't handle network latency.

edit: Also pick up your trash. It will only attract more Rattatas, and nobody needs that.

I'd debate this. I was on Giffgaff (the same network) and it was as bad as it was a week ago. My friend on 3 wasn't having to restart his app even half as much.

• Locked thread