Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
TIL you can't say "armpits" in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You know, I wouldn't give a poo poo about the skeevyness of Nancy and it's apparent fandom if it wasn't ostensibly a comic about a little girl. That just makes it really, really weird.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

WickedHate posted:

You know, I wouldn't give a poo poo about the skeevyness of Nancy and it's apparent fandom if it wasn't ostensibly a comic about a little girl. That just makes it really, really weird.

It'd need the extra step of also not being a legacy strip for me. Like, Brooke's gonna Brooke and all but at least he isn't doing it with the reconstituted corpses of someone else's creations.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Savidudeosoo posted:

Is this edited? Am I missing something here?

This is the verison I saw on gocomics:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The_Other posted:

Spoil sport.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is zero-sum.

Working Daze manages to get in three lovely jokes in one panel.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is not my fault.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Forktoss posted:

ughh you guys!!

Kennel posted:

Put this to every OP forever.

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze manages to get in three lovely jokes in one panel.

We have reached the Working Daze singularity. I can see forever.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (July 22-23, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Five (March 17-20, 1955)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

God loving drat it. Evans just can't help himself, can he?

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

The_Other posted:

You know, Heavenly Nostrils is one of the best modern newspaper comics, but I hate that I know why she makes these jokes about shaving.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Actually, it's a huge improvement that he now has his “bad guy“ characters actually do something objectively bad.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

You know, it says a lot that I'm honestly not sure if this lady is doing this to indicate incompetence or if Jam Esallen actually believes this is the right thing to do in this situation.

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

I assume that this was playing in the background.

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Does Judge Parker have his own airplane? Or that pauper Rex Morgan? I didn't think so. :smuggo:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

WickedHate posted:

It all started as a cartoon about Fritzi Ritz, Gilchrist is just returning to the roots with how he even re-introduced Phil Fumble! Truly he's more faithful to his sources than Bushmiller ever was.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Working Daze's idea of sexy makes my skin crawl

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

ikanreed posted:

God loving drat it. Evans just can't help himself, can he?

quote:

“I hope this couple goes in and complains about him to Mr. Gray/Grey…”

His uncle Al may have a lesson in 50 Shades of Black and Blue for him when he discovers that he has violated everyone’s trust. Particularly his…

quote:

Les has learned diplomacy. He’s become more of a con-man and less of a bully. I guess this represents some “maturity” for him.

quote:

You just gave me a great idea for a short story on crime fiction; the progression of a criminal from young bully-hood through pickpocketing and petty theft all the way to sophisticated internet cons. And the whole thing run as a kind of shadow university, paralleling law school, so the products of each school keep each other in business for centuries….

Oh Jesus Christ

quote:

IamJayBluE said, about 24 hours ago
Where I live, there are panhandlers who stand on the traffic meridians, or where people need to go, in the public walkways, seeking donations (even in the suburbs). Now, there are many kinds….you have basketball coaches with whistles and clip boards, and sometimes you see the team wearing their uniforms. You have some groups collecting toward disease research…there are firemen collecting for charities.
-
Then, there are those selling flowers, or certain wares….or those funding their causes by adverting their car wash…or spinning signs for businesses, apartment communities and the like. or there are sometimes well meaning “squeegie kids”, looking to earn money, by squeegieing your windows or hawking cool beverages on a hot day.
-
Sadly, though, you have those who are seeking aid on those meridians, having fallen on hard times. Some carry signs, and really do seek to obtain employment, or, already using shelter and employment services, are hoping to sincerely use anything collected to just get bus fare or will willingly accept actual food.
-
Through all these cases, there is also a challenge. What is it? It’s in identifying the real from the ‘not so real’. It’s in asking: “Is there such a thing as a scammer, among these?”. One may readily think of the ones on hard times as the ‘scammers’ (unfortunately, some in my area do hope to tug on some heartstrings, to get monies for their fixes/vices). But…there are also cases of many who start fake groups, print up signs/t shirts. Or are actually posing as rough shaven or bringing out kids and wearing ‘ragged’ clothes…but actually go home to not so unfavorable conditions (I remember a documented case of a family caught on video, as the mother and children climbed into a very nice minivan, being tracked as heading on their way to a pretty decent living space). Doing so, because it’s “tax free”. There are also those who have shaved their kids’ heads, or have solicited for kids who don’t know the extent to which they’re being used, or who carry fake pics and say it’s for them.
-
So…of course it’s important to help. And, of course, you can’t always ‘screen’ people’s causes, right then and there. But it’s also good, when you can, to do some ‘observational work’… to see if such groups really operate legitimately, or in the case of those seeking money who ‘look like they need it’, actually purchase food or offer other practical things, instead of just money, directly. In some instances, you could then be able to see who really needs and appreciates the help.

quote:

IamJayBluE said, about 24 hours ago
@blunebottle
There’s also a line in Weird Al’s parody song “Trapped In The Drive Thru”, where the fast food clerk tells them: “It’s gotta be cash, on- ly -yyy…we don’t take credit cards, here!” (♪).

fort knox

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

I've got 1000 Bison Dollars on Mole Man.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I was actually secretly hoping that she was a big Spider-Man fan and was leaving her share of the Bugle to him.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Has Spider-Man been cloned in newspaper form?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hang on.

The guy's eyes are exactly the same as the previous panel, but there's more lines around them. Is he reacting to learning that the other attendees for the whatever are hospitalized by vibrating his eyeballs?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's the only response they ever make in that awful strip.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

goatface posted:

it's no iPLOP! that's for drat sure

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

That's quite the grip Paul has on Eve.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

goatface posted:

Usually they're going from less-open eyes to fully open eyes. This time the only change is the eyeball vibrating or whatever it is.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hjalmar posted:

You know, Heavenly Nostrils is one of the best modern newspaper comics, but I hate that I know why she makes these jokes about shaving.
Personally I think it's kinda hilarious. It's not like the shaving jokes have been tasteless or creepy in any way. :v:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

:argh: LOOK AT THAT SLUT TIFFANY TEACHING THAT CHILD HOW TO BE A WHORE

(This is legit the interpretation some of the commenters at GoComics have gleaned, though I will leave that to JaggerMcDagger to explore)

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

Now how we gonna kill this dude off?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

So who's worse, Bud Grace or Mike Lester?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

(This is legit the interpretation some of the commenters at GoComics have gleaned, though I will leave that to JaggerMcDagger to explore)

Absentee fathers turn their daughters into sexed-up strippers!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Selachian posted:

So who's worse, Bud Grace or Mike Lester?

Bud Grace is clueless and dense, Mike Lester is actively hateful.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Ugh, gently caress those people. This is the most humanizing detail of Tiffany we've ever seen. Sympathy! Troubled background!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

LordSaturn posted:

Ugh, gently caress those people. This is the most humanizing detail of Tiffany we've ever seen. Sympathy! Troubled background!

Tiffany is the friendliest character in the strip, and it's disregarded because she's a bit vain. it's really weird. I can't wait for this to be spun that her letting the girl use makeup is a bad thing. God forbid she have fun.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nenonen posted:

It all started as a cartoon about Fritzi Ritz, Gilchrist is just returning to the roots with how he even re-introduced Phil Fumble! Truly he's more faithful to his sources than Bushmiller ever was.

Yeah, but then they could just make the strip actually about Fritzi Ritz again. And look, Fritzi Ritz is exceptionally attractive, I admit, if whoever owns the comic thinks sex appeal is the way to go, go for it. But as is it's like if Sesame Street had a stripper walk across the screen every now and then.

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

You know what, I'm shocked, but Sally Forth has it in it to be hilarious.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SpacePig posted:

Tiffany is the friendliest character in the strip, and it's disregarded because she's a bit vain. it's really weird. I can't wait for this to be spun that her letting the girl use makeup is a bad thing. God forbid she have fun.
She's not even vain, she's just confident. In fact, if you look at the difference between the characters we're supposed to like and the ones we're supposed to hate, it basically comes down to confidence and ambition. Tiffany knows what she wants and believes in herself. She's bad. Luann has no plans or goals and never attempts anything she could fail at. She's good. And aside from Tiffany, every other character with confidence and ambition has been written out or marginalised (Delta, TJ, Quill). The ones who stick around and get the most attention are the ones who won't do anything to rock the boat or change the dynamic (Luann, Bwad, Gunther).

WickedHate posted:

You know what, I'm shocked, but Sally Forth has it in it to be hilarious.
This isn't news.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tiggum posted:

This isn't news.

I've only ever known it as the comic with the really weird art, but now I think it's mostly the dad? He always looks kind of unnerving to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Makeup leads to fornication.

Has Luann ever done a teenage pregnancy arc? I kinda can't believe it hasn't.

• Locked thread