Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gay picnic defence posted:

Maybe if there are enough jobs for everyone and standards of living start to improve people won't be at the throats of immigrants quite so much.

There are jobs for everyone, Abigail. Maybe it's just that not everyone is qualified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

logikv9 posted:

jeb! has destroyed his family name so throughly that his offspring will never see elected office (god willing)

I've got bad news for you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_P._Bush JEB's son is aiming to be the next Texas Governor and then President after that.

Lol if the order becomes Bush Clinton Clinton Bush Bush Obama Obama Clinton Clinton Bush Bush.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
typical Disney

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Spacebump posted:

I've got bad news for you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_P._Bush JEB's son is aiming to be the next Texas Governor and then President after that.

Lol if the order becomes Bush Clinton Clinton Bush Bush Obama Obama Clinton Clinton Bush Bush.

death to america if the last part of this pattern begins to hold true

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

What happened to alice glass :stare:

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
https://twitter.com/imeredithmciver/status/755874044990230528

https://twitter.com/imeredithmciver/status/755872297823510528

Holy poo poo it's a cardboard cutout with enlarged hands. I bet this is what the Trump U. graduates got to pose beside.

James Woods fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 21, 2016

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

MadJackal posted:

She's real

I'm not straight doubting you, but there's so much out there that shows all her internet presence (facebook, linked-in) that was literally created yesterday. Is there any video of her out there, living and breathing, that shows she's a real person? Again, I don't need an interview that has her admitting to the speech or anything. Just a real person saying they work for Trump, and not a linked-in of a yoga instructor.

Edit: Her twitter is from 8 hours ago.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So did Cruz just somehow mistake Cleveland for Lake Berryessa or something?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Since Pat Buchanan’s speech at the RNC in 1992, I have awaited this election, prophesied its coming, and feel vindicated because this is the one where I think that the centripetal forces that have been putting strain on the GOP will finally tear it apart. Earlier in the year, I was gleefully saying my political Christmas present was coming and I was so looking forward to this convention.

That was then, this is now. Seeing this has long since stopped being entertaining even in the “see, you lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas” sense because the GOP did this to itself. Now it’s just uncomfortable, like watching someone who really thinks they can sing butcher the National Anthem and they have only gotten as far as ‘By the dawn’s early light…’ and you know there’s more to come because they can’t stop and everyone in the audience is antsy. It feels like that kind of awkward now.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I get that I'm really late to this but I finally watched the Michelle van Etten speech. Hooooooooooly poo poo. I haven't seen all of the speeches from this year's convention. Have any of the others been that bad? Because that was truly disaster-comedy levels bad. It seems like it was something out of Tim & Eric or Eric Andre, or just about anything on Adult Swim. I honestly think that was worse than Old Man Yells at Chair.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Nichael posted:

I get that I'm really late to this but I finally watched the Michelle van Etten speech. Hooooooooooly poo poo. I haven't seen all of the speeches from this year's convention. Have any of the others been that bad? Because that was truly disaster-comedy levels bad. It seems like it was something out of Tim & Eric or Eric Andre, or just about anything on Adult Swim. I honestly think that was worse than Old Man Yells at Chair.

Clint Eastwood's speech comes off as positively classy and intelligent compared to the shitshow this year. The RNC this year is like one of those arcade games where someone is bodyslammed throught the floor, and everyone keeps falling to new lows shattering bottom after bottom until they reach the basement.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Thundercracker posted:

Clint Eastwood's speech comes off as positively classy and intelligent compared to the shitshow this year. The RNC this year is like one of those arcade games where someone is bodyslammed throught the floor, and everyone keeps falling to new lows shattering bottom after bottom until they reach the basement.

What gets me is Trump promised a showbizzy convention like a "reality show." What we got was someone who probably would've been failed if she had to give that speech for a 6th grade writing assignment. It was truly astonishing. I can see public speaking teachers using that as a prime example of what not to do for, maybe, decades to come.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bryter posted:

Obama was so noble he didn't even prosecute war criminals, why can't you be like him Trump??
Don't be dense. This is nowhere near the same thing, that's the point.

Every time I hear “lock her up” at the convention, I just cringe.

When I think about Paul Manafort’s effort to help elect the pro-Putin Viktor Yanukovych in 2010, and they yelled “lock her up” in Ukraine, that’s exactly what they did. On trumped up political charges (ironically because she accepted, under duress, an unfair natural gas deal), Yanukovych threw former prime minister and his 2010 opponent, Yulia Tymoshenko, in prison.

Politicians and presidents make serious ethical mistakes. Reagan/Bush 41 on Iran-Contra, Bush 43 on WMD intelligence/torture, Bill Clinton on perjury.

But this? “Lock her up” might be the slogan of the 2016 GOP convention. It’s anything but conservative, anything but respect for the Constitution, anything but liberty. Wild. I almost wish Clinton would invite Tymoshenko to the DNC next week to show just what a threat Trumpismo presents. Maybe I’d expect this in Kiev, but America? It’s so tragic.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 21, 2016

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
i'm a human, and i'm coming

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mayor Dave posted:

death to america if the last part of this pattern begins to hold true

Obama: Welp I guess you or one of the kids has t-
Michelle: No :mad:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Mayor Dave posted:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
im a pioneer

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Mayor Dave posted:

same

i like to eat, and have children

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

Bash the fash gets tossed around often enough but what if push came to shove and you needed to knock your neighbor's teeth down his throat and shatter his loving kneecaps so he didn't come after your latina wife and kids in the night?

Make an app FshBshr and crowd source your fash bashing. (The actual answer is that your neighbor isn't going really come after your kids for the same reasons you're not going to go after him. We're still a society etc.)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Cardboard Box A posted:

Don't be dense. This is nowhere near the same thing, that's the point.

Yeah, the former was a cowardly miscarriage of justice and the latter is a Grade A power move. This is why Trump is going to be the first Alpha president.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Peztopiary posted:

Make an app FshBshr and crowd source your fash bashing. (The actual answer is that your neighbor isn't going really come after your kids for the same reasons you're not going to go after him. We're still a society etc.)

I read that as fish basher and got confused about where the conversation was headed.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Nichael posted:

Lol just watched it and what a mess! I've rarely felt that uncomfortable watching another human being talk. The fact that she's a pyramid scheme con artist makes it all the better.

EIGHT YEARS OF LIBERALS *chops arms wildly*

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So did anything catastrophic happen last night

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'm having to work way too much right now to enjoy this appropriately. I'm hoping you goons can put together a good collection of videos I can enjoy for the best of the worst when I get out from under this deluge. Somebody should make a box set of DVDs of this convention.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yes.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

my bony fealty posted:

Lol just watched it and what a mess! I've rarely felt that uncomfortable watching another human being talk. The fact that she's a pyramid scheme con artist makes it all the better.

EIGHT YEARS OF LIBERALS *chops arms wildly*

also the part where she endorses trump as the next 'ringmaster'.

normally i'd feel bad for people choking like that, but gently caress MLM snake oil people and gently caress her.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Trump tried to make out with Pierce on stage. Ted Cruz got stoned to death. Nazi salutes... so not really, just more of the same.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Constant Hamprince posted:

same

i like to eat, and have children

i like to eat children

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

Traditionally, losing the primary is not the mark of disgrace that losing the general is. Whether that extends to losing to Trump in the primary is something we'll have to see play out.

The main question we as a country/world have to find a solution for is the growing alt-right/nativist sentiment in a lot of places. If we don't solve that problem for good, we're destined to be caught napping at some point and suddenly the world is at war again over undesirables and borders and living space. That's the real slow knife in all of this and I'm not sure it can just be marginalized to the fringe like everything else.

They aren't legitimate people with legitimate arguments over legitimate concerns, so engaging them like you would someone over taxes won't work. What scares me is that these kinds of people don't speak in languages other than force, intimidation, and shame, and those may be the only viable options to actually solve that problem. Bash the fash gets tossed around often enough but what if push came to shove and you needed to knock your neighbor's teeth down his throat and shatter his loving kneecaps so he didn't come after your latina wife and kids in the night?

i dont think the alt right is a large enough force to actually be a voting base, although i could see it become an intelligentsia for future right wing movements in the US similarly to the Buckleyites, Neocons etc.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Thundercracker posted:

I'm not straight doubting you, but there's so much out there that shows all her internet presence (facebook, linked-in) that was literally created yesterday. Is there any video of her out there, living and breathing, that shows she's a real person? Again, I don't need an interview that has her admitting to the speech or anything. Just a real person saying they work for Trump, and not a linked-in of a yoga instructor.

She has been mentioned multiple times in articles dating from several years ago. A brand new social media account is more likely to be a fake account period, not an account for a fake person. Trust me, I Wanted to Believe.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, according to the news I caught on the way out the door this morning, "Hillary is the Jane Fonda of Vietnam" guy is being investigated by the Secret Service :laugh:

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I woke up laughing today. :feelsgood:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

lorn Wayne posted:

also the part where she endorses trump as the next 'ringmaster'.

normally i'd feel bad for people choking like that, but gently caress MLM snake oil people and gently caress her.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Donald Trump is the Mighty No. 9 of political campaigns.

A more disastrous, plainly incompetent rollout I've not seen in years. If the RNCinCLE, or whatever the gently caress acronym salad it is, is supposed to show how great Trump is at managing even the basic theatrics of a campaign, it's hard to then extrapolate that to being competent enough to run the white house

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I see

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

who is she supposed to be?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

i dont think the alt right is a large enough force to actually be a voting base, although i could see it become an intelligentsia for future right wing movements in the US similarly to the Buckleyites, Neocons etc.

I'm trying to imagine an alt-right think tank, but I don't think the Ernst Rohm Institute is gonna fly.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nice screen shot of Virtuosity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Alt right is a doomed movement because their entire ideological base is predicated, by definition, on being a bunch of whiny beta pussies who never get what they want. To declare oneself alt right is to admit, tacitly or otherwise, that you have no social power.

• Locked thread