Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rafza posted:

has matt/pat/woolie/liam ever done a breakdown of their schedule/time commitments before (on podcast or youtube)?

i was thinking about how much time goes into setup, recording, video editing, audio editing, uploading, etc on top of traveling for events and i was curious if they broke it down into "my schedule is x, i record y days in advance to allow for processing and simply unlist the video until z amount of days have passed"

do woolie/liam still do Q/A? if so how do they balance work with youtube/podcast?

i dunno im struggling to find solid interviews or behind-the-scenes "this is how we work" type stuff and i find it really interesting

What I remember is that Woolie/Liam definitely do the channel as their full time job, they quit testing I think shortly before the podcast started. Pat was also asked on an early podcast episode how many hours a week of work they do to run the channel and he answered "anywhere from 20 hours to every waking hour".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

hoobajoo posted:

What I remember is that Woolie/Liam definitely do the channel as their full time job, they quit testing I think shortly before the podcast started. Pat was also asked on an early podcast episode how many hours a week of work they do to run the channel and he answered "anywhere from 20 hours to every waking hour".

i believe that, although i am curious what causes such a large discrepancy from part time hours to game dev hours

probably another question for the email, thanks though!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rafza posted:

i believe that, although i am curious what causes such a large discrepancy from part time hours to game dev hours

probably another question for the email, thanks though!

I assume whenever something is on fire it happens, like if they lose a recording or a video has major desync issues. This is also when they did stuff for Machinima, so it could be they'd have to pull the occasional all-nighter to meet deadlines. Pat also goes to less cons, so it could be if there's unforeseen issues during a con, he might be the only one able to fix them.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Amazing. JoJo Eyesof Heaven LP trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsXpkcDWL54

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Right, I need to beat that game.

drat it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!

Rhonne posted:

Ryu coming in and stealing the Bison kill after Nash's heroic sacrifice really bugged me. Like, Nash explodes and everyone is just like "well alright, go get him Ryu!" You'd think that at least Guile would be a bit more broken up about it.

Like, a better way to do it would have be letting Nash blow up Bison, then Necalli comes in and eats Bison's soul and becomes some cray psycho power demon and then Ryu comes in and kills him.

Also, I hope Marz survived too. FANG just surviving a fall into lava with no explanation kind of cheapened the impact of that whole scene with Marz and Rashid.
I thought it was really dumb that Guile never took off his shades. I get that he's super cool and unfazeable now, but I figured the payoff of having a character with shades on is to have them get emotional and take them off. The dog tag scene with Nash would've been a nice time to do it.

FANG reappearing was pretty dumb, and also I don't know how Rashid survived.

In general, I feel like I got more out of it watching them play it, because they read way more into every interaction than I did. It often felt like they thought about what was going on more than Capcom did. Like when Rashid is about to face FANG and Pat says how his wind powers makes him a good matchup, but that didn't seem to actually play into it. I don't even think there was a scene where he uses his wind to blow away the poison.

And then there's stuff where they riff that it's a good moment to use a character theme, but the fight just uses generic music. The constant power level style discussions didn't do much for me though, especially when people seemed to just win or lose at random. All-in-all it was a decent spectacle, I guess.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rashid is friends with a genie and that's how he didn't die to poison and got out fine.

Phantasium posted:

I feel bad because I remember hearing people say the first half of Nier was the "prologue" which made me think it was a lot longer than it actually is and is part of the reason why I quit playing way back when we I got to that part. But then I hear Liam calling it the first half so I figured I'd give it a try again when they got there. And then I found out I didn't have my original save.

Turns out Nier is super short, I restarted between videos 16 and 17 and beat the game skipping the cutscenes I've already seen and clocked in a time of less than 10 hours. It was super worth it, get on that poo poo.

As for the LP itself it's currently my favorite of the ones they have running but I'll always like RPG playthroughs.

Somewhat curious, when you say you beat the game and all that do you mean you beat the game or that you just saw Ending A and left it at that?

Cause boy if you only did Ending A you're robbing yourself somethin' fierce. I'm super happy the guys are apparently doing the full course in the LP because it only gets better as time goes on. Just kidding, nothing in Nier gets better :smith:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 21, 2016

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

I actually asked Matt when he was here if he saw the painting while he was here, he didn't know what I was talking about so I didn't press on with it.

My painting skills have actually gotten considerably better since I uploaded that so maybe I should paint a fancier one and sent it directly to them lol.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

I actually asked Matt when he was here if he saw the painting while he was here, he didn't know what I was talking about so I didn't press on with it.

My painting skills have actually gotten considerably better since I uploaded that so maybe I should paint a fancier one and sent it directly to them lol.

Do it, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Somewhat curious, when you say you beat the game and all that do you mean you beat the game or that you just saw Ending A and left it at that?

Cause boy if you only did Ending A you're robbing yourself somethin' fierce. I'm super happy the guys are apparently doing the full course in the LP because it only gets better as time goes on. Just kidding, nothing in Nier gets better :smith:

Yeah, but considering this LP is going on I'll leave the grinding for weapons and repeat playthroughs to Pat.

Also doesn't help that the first thing that pops up when you're trying to see if you can download saves to skip the first half is spoilers in the google search bar for ending D. And then looking up conditions for how to get the other endings brings up a page that just shows you what they are.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I laughed hard at Woolie thinking Alex Navarro was the same one at Giant Bomb.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
How the gently caress is Eyes of Heaven gonna be a full LP but not Furi?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Sure,it's not 7th Stand User,but it's a start.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

7th Stand User would require Liam on hand to play and eyeball the guide.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Finally some mamoru in Catherine :allears: lmao Matt knows as much about Woolie's girlfriend as we do

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Phantasium posted:

Yeah, but considering this LP is going on I'll leave the grinding for weapons and repeat playthroughs to Pat.

Also doesn't help that the first thing that pops up when you're trying to see if you can download saves to skip the first half is spoilers in the google search bar for ending D. And then looking up conditions for how to get the other endings brings up a page that just shows you what they are.

Fair enough. Kind of big spoilers? Most important thing is to get to Ending C/D. Ending A/B are fakeouts while C/D pick up from where they leave off. That's why I was making sure.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"Would you do Wendy?"

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Solaris Knight posted:

How the gently caress is Eyes of Heaven gonna be a full LP but not Furi?
It's weird but it seemed like Woolie disliked it being low budget. Unless he was being facetious at the end of that video.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Is it just me, or does the tutorial boss mask demon guy in Furi sound a lot like Bladewolf from MGR:R?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rodyle posted:

"Would you do Wendy?"
A question best left for the philosophers.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

HGH posted:

It's weird but it seemed like Woolie disliked it being low budget. Unless he was being facetious at the end of that video.

He was clearly joking.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They don't like the idea of doing full playthroughs of action games that require a decent amount of skill and/or practice, either because they think it'd be boring to watch or because they're afraid of getting yelled at or just making a cool game look bad.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They don't like the idea of doing full playthroughs of action games that require a decent amount of skill and/or practice, either because they think it'd be boring to watch or because they're afraid of getting yelled at or just making a cool game look bad.
*cough* DARK SOULS TRILOGY *cough*

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Which is weird, cause their Revengance play through was pretty good.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
They're probably plenty busy as it is with NieR and Catherine both being pretty hefty games, just wrapping up Twilight Princess, JoJo just around the corner, and everything else coming out they want to cover along with getting into the thick of con season.

Even doing Furi as a one-shot was bringing out the git-guds, so I don't blame them if that was the reason. Though I hope somebody catches Woolie's hype for The Edge on camera when he gets to him.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lmao the dudes during this Limbo 2 chat.

It's cool that they liked the mediocre game as much as they did, but BOY are they reading way too hard into just about everything they bring up.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Conversely I thought it was super interesting.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Lmao the dudes during this Limbo 2 chat.

It's cool that they liked the mediocre game as much as they did, but BOY are they reading way too hard into just about everything they bring up.

That's impossible, the whole purpose of Inside's existence is to be read into. I get it, you're such a cool iconoclast for not liking the game other people like, but the entire point of super minimalist storytelling is for the audience to read into things.

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
I don't think there's a lot going on in Inside, and people digging in deeper than general themes are putting more thought into the story than the devs did. Storytelling doesn't need to be explicit but when people create grand theories and metaphors out of very little it becomes tedious to listen to.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God drat Woolie is bad at Catherine

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Baal posted:

God drat Woolie is bad at Catherine

If you don't watch the vessel videos, prepare yourself for the next boss

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The best friends bring up downloadable Ninja Turtles games and I can't remember if one of them was supposed to be at least okay because PS3 Out of the Shadows and Danger of the Ooze are both on sale on PSN.

I imagine the answer is "neither of them" but I don't recall.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ChumpsForChange posted:

I don't think there's a lot going on in Inside, and people digging in deeper than general themes are putting more thought into the story than the devs did. Storytelling doesn't need to be explicit but when people create grand theories and metaphors out of very little it becomes tedious to listen to.

Pretty much this lol.

The chickens represent things!

"I skipped over that puzzle and it didn't mean anything."

THEN YOUR MISSING OUT ON DEEP CHICKEN METAPHOR.

There's clearly a story and clearly some important pieces here and there but not *absolutely everything* has to have some deep meaning behind it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rodyle posted:

If you don't watch the vessel videos, prepare yourself for the next boss

He just did the baby scene and it is amazing how he somehow both overthinks the game's pathing and doesn't pay attention to basic formations he can make right in front of him. Like the fact it took him five minutes on the opening wall of the third stage is loving mind boggling.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Baal posted:

He just did the baby scene and it is amazing how he somehow both overthinks the game's pathing and doesn't pay attention to basic formations he can make right in front of him. Like the fact it took him five minutes on the opening wall of the third stage is loving mind boggling.

there's parts where moving one block would allow him to make a straight run for the exit but instead he just runs around shoving random other blocks into the void and I just don't understand

e: the latest vessel video had the bride and he had to outright cut the footage

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

You guys are being pretty critical. It's really easy to overthink poo poo like that even without the added pressure of filming your gameplay. :/ You won't get absolute perfection from any LPer.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not asking for a 100% perfect playthrough, I'm asking for Woolie to know how to how to not throw poo poo everywhere randomly on the game's easiest difficulty so he doesn't have to skip entire boss fights and sequences of gameplay and shows off the game better. I already said I never expected an amazing playthrough, but he outright ignores paths I've seen while holding conversations with other people on discord and streaming the game, like imagine them cutting entire boss fights from the Souls LPs and how much people would be bitching about that, Catherine's stuff is nowhere near as hard as your typical Souls game.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

itt: why isn't everyone as good as me at every video game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Eh... Woolie straight out cuts about 75% percent of a boss stage in a vessel video. It's kinda bad.

I mean there's always going to be times in puzzle games where you can see an obvious (to you) path or switch or whatever that the current player didn't catch but in Catherine's case there are some very obvious straight paths near the beginning of stages to get you ahead of the blocks falling at the bottom that he keeps missing and stopping to do some block switching he doesn't need to do to continue.

Not that that's why I'm watching in the first place, Catherine LP is the place to get some straight dirt.