Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
We had a (reasonably cool) O-5 be an Air Advisor for a year in Afghanistan. He said he figured out after 6 months that the Afghans don't want your advice, that they learned from the Soviets that they could just wait until you left and go back to doing their own thing. He said that the US would have been better off paying the Afghan senior leadership to retire and instill are own people but it's too late for that.

YMMV.

edit: the c-27 program was criminal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If anybody is out or getting out and wants to unload uniforms, specifically anything ABU-related, one of my buddies just started work as a JROTC instructor and they need stuff. For the near future (at least) he's willing to pay shipping.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
It turns out my husband has two kidney stones. He had to go back to the doctor for stomach pain. Now he's grounded until he gives birth to our twins (they're already pretty low so the doctor said it'd be in the next day or two), and the doctor thinks it may have caused his back problems. That doesn't really explain his previous incident last year but who knows because he didn't want to use his free medical care to figure out why he got laid out trying to load the dishwasher because he had a flight the next day. :shrug:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Pilots are pretty dumb.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
On a side note, the bonus take rate for pilots is at 43.4% for FY16 and FY17 is 23.1%.

Since you get an additional 25k for signing up a year early, I don't see FY17 going up much. FY18 should be even worse.

Suckers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^Strike Eagle dude I work with took the deal. It's not easy to look back on 8-10 years toward a retirement and know that it's not going to count for anything, but every day I'm glad I'm out.

samizdat posted:

It turns out my husband has two kidney stones. He had to go back to the doctor for stomach pain. Now he's grounded until he gives birth to our twins (they're already pretty low so the doctor said it'd be in the next day or two), and the doctor thinks it may have caused his back problems. That doesn't really explain his previous incident last year but who knows because he didn't want to use his free medical care to figure out why he got laid out trying to load the dishwasher because he had a flight the next day. :shrug:

The back pain could definitely have come from stones. It's really an unpleasant experience and the pain isn't always where you'd expect.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
https://mobile.twitter.com/VivaRevolt/status/754433400296054784

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :stonk:

Errrrrrrrr :confused:

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 16, 2016

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
the Turkish govt cut off power to the base and has shut down the airspace so nothing is flying. They're at Delta, but it's not like the Turks are storming the gates. There were some pro-coup aircraft that launched out of the base, which probably has something to do with the lockdown. The other more conspiracy theory oriented take would be that Erdogan is holding the base "hostage" to help push the US along to extradite a cleric who has been living in exile here.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
First Nice now this.

Giant Meteor 2016.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My old supervisor was there in the mid 90s. They had a labor dispute with the Turks about families inheriting jobs. The Turks went around breaking air conditioners during the summer. They had to set up a secret chow hall out in a tent so people could eat something that wasn't an MRE once in a while.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

Godholio posted:

If anybody is out or getting out and wants to unload uniforms, specifically anything ABU-related, one of my buddies just started work as a JROTC instructor and they need stuff. For the near future (at least) he's willing to pay shipping.

I've got some random stuff I'm willing to unload.

1 Camelback army camo colored
1 web belt + canteen
1 ABU set of pants
1 Fleece set of pants
1 APECS set of pants

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Holy gently caress, every shop but Crew Chiefs is playing Pokemon go.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A Kpro posted:

I've got some random stuff I'm willing to unload.

1 Camelback army camo colored
1 web belt + canteen
1 ABU set of pants
1 Fleece set of pants
1 APECS set of pants

Fleece pants? And poo poo, I want the apecs pants.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought about buying the APECS pants since they were so much cheaper than real snow pants. But then I remembered how ugly I think the ABU pattern is

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Godholio posted:

I'm on my phone and half in the bag. PM me, I've got probably 2-3 sets of abus as well as a few pairs of boots I could donate in relatively common sizes (32 inch waist, 10.5 size boots).

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

Godholio posted:

Fleece pants? And poo poo, I want the apecs pants.

Yup they gave me tons of poo poo for my one deployment. Got the scarf, the gloves, head cover, watch cap, long underwear, fleece pants, web belt, the luggage bag, coveralls, sunglasses, apecs pants, 2 camelbacks, and probably some other poo poo I've forgotten about.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

lite_sleepr posted:

Pilots are pretty dumb.

still smart enough to not go in enlisted

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Setting the bar pretty low there, sir

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Did you just use sir?

JFC

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Uhhhhh, I am addressing a field grade officer!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Did you just use sir?

JFC

Be polite to the pump attendant or they'll limp wrist putting the cap back on and BAM, check engine light

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

Be polite to the pump attendant or they'll limp wrist putting the cap back on and BAM, check engine light

Nah, a crew chief wouldn't do that. When the pilot grunted and pointed to a light, the crew chief would need to fix it.

Deffo not in the business of making work for themselves :)

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

lite_sleepr posted:

Nah, a crew chief wouldn't do that. When the pilot grunted and pointed to a light, the crew chief would need to fix it.

Deffo not in the business of making work for themselves :)

You're reading the crack wrong. I'm just joking that Rek is a tanker pilot, thus a glorified pump jockey (he's not, though. Rek's cool)

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Wouldn't the pump attendant be the boom operator? Rek is just the gas station manager who shows up twice a month to get enough booze money for a weekend bender.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
I would say I'm more like a blue collar driver that earns way more than they are worth because the union was able to negotiate an unrealistically high salary.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
You're in sanitation then

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
You're thinking of C-130 pilots.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

lite_sleepr posted:

You're in sanitation then

Rek is the cashier at the gas station, and the boom is the attendant. You guys are making this too complicated.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Rek is the cashier at the gas station, and the boom is the attendant. You guys are making this too complicated.

Well atleast the boom operator can get a job in Oregon

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Rek *is* the cash register, filled with filthy over-circulated singles and fivers that have seen more thong straps than a plus sized ladies clearance bin at TJ Maxx in the midwest.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Meh, it all spends the same.

Need to pay for college for this next baby I'm tryin to make.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Few units getting TSgt results already. Fuckers.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

That happened with MSgt out here, we knew who had a line number close to 24 hrs in advance.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Does anyone make mistakes at work?

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Never.

Also, I'm going to be a TSgt. That's a thing.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Nice.

Welcome to the club where you're not allowed to make mistakes because ITS UNACCEPTABLE for NCOs to make them.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

Nice.

Welcome to the club where you're not allowed to make mistakes because ITS UNACCEPTABLE for NCOs to make them.

NCOs make mistakes, but then they ferociously deny ever having made them even with a mountain of evidence to the contrary

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Prop Wash posted:

NCOs make mistakes, but then they ferociously deny ever having made them even with a mountain of evidence to the contrary

I thought any mistakes were due to incompetent subordinates? Isn't that what they teach in course 15?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Prop Wash posted:

Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter accusations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I am one of those weirdos who will say yep that was me I hosed that up. Now here is a course of action to correct it, and these are the things I have in place to prevent it from happening again.

Making counter-accusations and denying everything in my experience has proven to be an exacerbating Factor when having to deal with the Fallout.

But whatever nobody died and nobody is going to lose any money so gently caress it

Congrats on tech. Now you can say things like in my experience and people will kind of take you seriously a little bit

• Locked thread