Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Fulchrum posted:

So, everyone is talking about Killer not endorsing Trump, but is it my imagination, or did that astronaut not endorse him either. She just gave a speech about why America's space program is great, a speech that could have been at either convention.

NPR commented on it. Her prepared notes included an explicit endorsement, but she didn't say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
RNC speakers not endorsing Giant Orange Ball of Rage/Dark Cloud of Racism 2016 definitely seems to be a thing.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

The Modern Leper posted:

NPR commented on it. Her prepared notes included an explicit endorsement, but she didn't say it.

I really want to think that her conscience got to her after seeing the White Power clown show and she just gave the speech as neutrally as possible so she could leave.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Since Pat Buchanan’s speech at the RNC in 1992, I have awaited this election, prophesied its coming, and feel vindicated because this is the one where I think that the centripetal forces that have been putting strain on the GOP will finally tear it apart. Earlier in the year, I was gleefully saying my political Christmas present was coming and I was so looking forward to this convention.

That was then, this is now. Seeing this has long since stopped being entertaining even in the “see, you lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas” sense because the GOP did this to itself. Now it’s just uncomfortable, like watching someone who really thinks they can sing butcher the National Anthem and they have only gotten as far as ‘By the dawn’s early light…’ and you know there’s more to come because they can’t stop and everyone in the audience is antsy. It feels like that kind of awkward now.

Every time I hear “lock her up” at the convention, I just cringe.

When I think about Paul Manafort’s effort to help elect the pro-Putin Viktor Yanukovych in 2010, and they yelled “lock her up” in Ukraine, that’s exactly what they did. On trumped up political charges (ironically because she accepted, under duress, an unfair natural gas deal), Yanukovych threw former prime minister and his 2010 opponent, Yulia Tymoshenko, in prison.

Politicians and presidents make serious ethical mistakes. Reagan/Bush 41 on Iran-Contra, Bush 43 on WMD intelligence/torture, Bill Clinton on perjury.

But this? “Lock her up” might be the slogan of the 2016 GOP convention. It’s anything but conservative, anything but respect for the Constitution, anything but liberty. Wild. I almost wish Clinton would invite Tymoshenko to the DNC next week to show just what a threat Trumpismo presents. Maybe I’d expect this in Kiev, but America? It’s so tragic.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Volcott posted:

No one cares if an astronaut kisses the ring or not.

It just stuck out to me because you could have stuck this speech at any location and it would fit just as well.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Really hoping this lead to the stupid "criminalizing policitics" canard to junked and we'll see President Clinton finally do some war crimes prosecutions.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Platonicsolid posted:

Really hoping this lead to the stupid "criminalizing policitics" canard to junked and we'll see President Clinton finally do some war crimes prosecutions.
lol

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

Svanja posted:

Wasn't the USS Enterprise decommissioned or is scheduled to be? I giggle every time I hear about the Kitty Hawk. While we were in Guam we kept hearing they kept running into things and their morale was really bad. People called it the lovely Hawk.

But that really is an impressive view of comparison of the world powers' big ships.

The Enterprise is being decommissioned and will be recommissioned as a new Gerald R. Ford class aircraft carrier when it launchs in the 2020s. The current aircraft carrier named Gerald R. Ford is the first of a line of 10 hyper-modern carriers the U.S. Navy is building; it replaces the Enterprise when it's commissioned in September of this year. The next Ford-class ship to launch will be the John F. Kennedy, which will replace the Nimitz (the carrier from The Final Countdown).

If anything -- and I think that graphic points it out pretty clearly -- the U.S. Navy is more terrifyingly powerful now at any size than the rest of the world's navies combined. And these ridiculous new carriers are just going to make it easier to extend that power further. It's not ship numbers that matter any more, it's air power and the ability to strike when and wherever simultaneously. The U.S. can already do that. Soon they'll be able to do it even better.

So bitching about the size of the navy is the same as it was when Obama took down Romney in embarrassing fashion in that debate -- nothing but more garbage and bullshit from the GOP. Same as it ever is.

acejackson42 fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 21, 2016

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

So tonight's the night we get the most unhinged presidential candidate speech in history, correct? Because, man, I cant even begin to imagine what Trump is going to have to say after these last three nights of lunacy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

acejackson42 posted:

So tonight's the night we get the most unhinged presidential candidate speech in history, correct? Because, man, I cant even begin to imagine what Trump is going to have to say after these last three nights of lunacy.

My guess is it'll be one of his more even-keeled speeches and pretty unremarkable compared to what's gone down the last three days. Setting expectations low.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

acejackson42 posted:

i can't decide if i think that he will go off script tonight or if we'll have to wait for a genuinely unscripted interview in the coming days

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

My guess is it'll be one of his more even-keeled speeches and pretty unremarkable compared to what's gone down the last three days. Setting expectations low.

That would be the smart thing to do, maybe give the thing a final air of respectability. But man, I could seriously see him just doing everything he possibly can to outdo Christie and Guliani and completely fire and brimstone the whole mess. Because he's Donald J. Trump, goddamit, and you people are going to feel it.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Incidently, can't wait for the DNC and the inevitable GOPers sneering 'teleprompters' because LLLOOOLLLL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UwTd9Cjx14&t=22s

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Cardboard Box A posted:

When I think about Paul Manafort’s effort to help elect the pro-Putin Viktor Yanukovych in 2010, and they yelled “lock her up” in Ukraine, that’s exactly what they did. On trumped up political charges (ironically because she accepted, under duress, an unfair natural gas deal), Yanukovych threw former prime minister and his 2010 opponent, Yulia Tymoshenko, in prison.

Politicians and presidents make serious ethical mistakes. Reagan/Bush 41 on Iran-Contra, Bush 43 on WMD intelligence/torture, Bill Clinton on perjury.

But this? “Lock her up” might be the slogan of the 2016 GOP convention. It’s anything but conservative, anything but respect for the Constitution, anything but liberty. Wild. I almost wish Clinton would invite Tymoshenko to the DNC next week to show just what a threat Trumpismo presents. Maybe I’d expect this in Kiev, but America? It’s so tragic.

This was actually pretty interesting and made me do some reading. The similarities are scary.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This is the most likable Ted Cruz will ever be...

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Ted Cruz is like a failed Frey from Game of Thrones. His Red Wedding crashed becayse someone slipped the musicians a $20 to play something else, and now he'll be salty forevermore.

As for people saying this positions him to be the post-Trump 'common sense' guy...ahahaha, no. These people nurse their grievances like precious firstborn heirs and believe in 'stabbed in the back' narratives to an extent that would make 1930s germans tell them to lighten up.

So yeah, Melania's speech-lifting is suddenly much less of an issue.

What wonders will tonight bring?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Has the Trump campaign said anything at all about Laura Ingraham and the "Seig Hiel" wave? Because what the actual gently caress?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Cardboard Box A posted:

I feel like this could be a major point if someone actually has the stones to corner Trump on this. Simply put, asking "If you truly believe that Hillary Clinton has broken the law as you and everyone below you has said, and is only not in jail because of the Obama administration, will you be pushing for her prosecution if elected President?". Kinda like McCain when he was forced to confront the "secret Muslim" dog whistle at that town hall meeting when he had to cut off that old lady and say that no he's not. I don't know if Trump has it in him to pass up on a juicy piece of red meat for the base thrown his way.

Hell, Hillary could do it at a debate and either quiet that dog whistle, or make it apparent to everyone sane and rational just how dangerous Trump is.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Morby posted:

Has the Trump campaign said anything at all about Laura Ingraham and the "Seig Hiel" wave? Because what the actual gently caress?
According to Paul Manafort there was no wave in the first place.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

This is probably the safe bet. However Trump is, interestingly, back on Twitter after his handlers took away his phone or whatever. Hopefully Cruz got under his skin and got Trump good and angry last night.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Morby posted:

It seems to have been a mostly ignored moment in the media, so there's about a 50/50 shot that the campaign will make it into a huge deal anyway.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

It seems to have been a mostly ignored moment in the media, so there's about a 50/50 shot that the campaign will make it into a huge deal anyway.

I saw a few articles about it on Slate and such. Last night was the night I decided to check out of the RNC, but I couldn't because it was insanity from start to finish. I am both curious about frightened as to how he will top all of this.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The more they try to pretend it doesn't exist the more totally-on-purpose it seems to be, though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's not like the media can address every little crazy thing drowning in a sea of crazy things about the convention.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Yinlock posted:

The more they try to pretend it doesn't exist the more totally-on-purpose it seems to be, though.

People have tried to spin it as just an innocuous wave that the :siren:LIBERAL MEDIA:siren: jumped on because they're biased. But Trump's official camp hasn't said anything.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SavageBastard posted:

This was actually pretty interesting and made me do some reading. The similarities are scary.

Any good recommended readings? I'd like to write something on it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

it's just a combination of so many things, the sheepish look, the sudden and obvious deflection into a wave where her face somehow magically shifts with her arm into Fake Smile #23

tee hee i'm just gonna snap off a quick sieg heil i'm so excited oh poo poo this is on tv.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I'm too scared to click on Stormfront. Did they like it?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bubbacub posted:

I'm too scared to click on Stormfront. Did they like it?
Yes :nws:

Reading Stormfront can be kind of amusing sometimes. One time I found a post where one of them beat up his girlfriend because he saw that she was washing dishes in The Sims, but their real life dishes had gone unwashed for days.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Stormfront is practically civil and work safe these days, compared to their rival white supremacist forums like Daily Stormer/4chan/8chan/Reddit/Voat

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 21, 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
https://twitter.com/AliceOllstein/status/756140487220887552

This is a pretty good "in the crowd" article about what it's like to be at, and then get into, the RNC.

edit: also:

https://twitter.com/EWErickson/status/756140113629937664

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Yinlock posted:

it's just a combination of so many things, the sheepish look, the sudden and obvious deflection into a wave where her face somehow magically shifts with her arm into Fake Smile #23

tee hee i'm just gonna snap off a quick sieg heil i'm so excited oh poo poo this is on tv.

http://i.imgur.com/t6LzzBE.gifv

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Yinlock posted:

It's like the bare minimum of plausible deniability.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

for gently caress's sake

Codex Occultus
Apr 12, 2009

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.

acejackson42 posted:

Trump will come out on stage stark naked. Orange face and hands but pasty white body. After standing at the podium staring at the audience for 2 full minutes he will begin running back and forth on the stage flailing his arms and legs. Then the urination and defecation will begin followed after a few minutes by occasionally throwing his feces into the audience. He will then give his stump speech and quickly leave the stadium.

Boosted and Vile will declare it the greatest 11th dimensional chess move in the history of politics.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Platonicsolid posted:

I don't think you're able to testify against yourself

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Yinlock posted:

Why on earth would she do something like that? Making a statement?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Morby posted:

People have tried to spin it as just an innocuous wave that the :siren:LIBERAL MEDIA:siren: jumped on because they're biased. But Trump's official camp hasn't said anything.
Unless Laura Inghram knowingly and intentionally seig heil-ed to make some kind of point it was just an innocuous wave.

Albeit a hilarious one.

Surely there's some political consultant out there (maybe I should start a business?) who can instruct politicians of all stripes to never loving ever wave like that. If you're going to put your hand forward at an angle towards a crowd, then simply extend your index finger so it turns into a point. There are pictures of Hillary and Bernie doing the same thing and we all make fun of them too.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

St. Dogbert posted:

Why on earth would she do something like that? Making a statement?

I honestly think, especially seeing her walking out and waving earlier, that it was an accident. It's like she's trying to wave to the back of the crowd and extends her hand a full length to kind of be "hey to you way back there" but instantly realizes "whoops gently caress that's a nazi salute" and tries to recover.

I mean I seriously doubt she did that on purpose but it's still really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

BonoMan posted:

I honestly think, especially seeing her walking out and waving earlier, that it was an accident. It's like she's trying to wave to the back of the crowd and extends her hand a full length to kind of be "hey to you way back there" but instantly realizes "whoops gently caress that's a nazi salute" and tries to recover.

I mean I seriously doubt she did that on purpose but it's still really funny.

It's funny to laugh at but it gets absurd when people seriously consider she is actually throwing out a nazi salute.

She didn't tilt her hand five degrees. Don't make it more than what it is.

• Locked thread