Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Isn't active aero more of a safety thing though? I'm a NOT saying the FIA is competent however.

The FIA is unlikely to say that they're too incompetent to regulate something so they're banning it when they can simply blame safety, cost cutting or "road car relevance" instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

krushgroove posted:

e: also, apparently the 'BOX' message meant that other riders had come in to switch, not 'come in right now'

I'd believe it if I hadn't seen the entire crew facepalm in unison when he didn't come in.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Dudley posted:

I'd believe it if I hadn't seen the entire crew facepalm in unison when he didn't come in.
Those two facts are not mutually exclusive.

But again, his team and the teams of the other five guys he was near could have put out boards that said PIT NOW MORON and none of them did.

Ironically if I'm not mistaken there actually is a radio ban in MotoGP. Helmet comms have existed for quite a while, they could be talking to their pits but they're not allowed.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/36855566

:lol: get hosed Mercedes, radio ban is getting tighter because you decided to test it

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Ironically if I'm not mistaken there actually is a radio ban in MotoGP. Helmet comms have existed for quite a while, they could be talking to their pits but they're not allowed.

You're not mistaken.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Tsaedje posted:

:lol: get hosed Mercedes, radio ban is getting tighter because you decided to test it

Good.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

the worst sport

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Tsaedje posted:

I mean, they broke the rule and got on the podium and now everyone else doesnt get to break it. I dont see how Mercedes is the loser here.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Get hosed in the sense of "gently caress you" not "haha". The :lol: was at the general mess of a situation

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The following is a list of the permitted messages. Any other message, including any of those below which we suspect has been used as a coded message for a different purpose (including a prompt to a driver), is likely to be considered a breach of Article 27.1 of the Sporting Regulations and will be reported to the stewards accordingly.

1. Acknowledgement that a driver’s message has been heard, this may include repeating the message back to the driver for the sole purpose of confirmation.
2. Indication of a problem with the car, any message of this sort must include an irreversible instruction to enter the pits to rectify the problem or to retire the car.
3. Information concerning damage to the bodywork of the car.
4. Instructions to select driver defaults, this must be for the sole purpose of mitigating loss of function of a sensor, actuator or controller whose degradation or failure was not detected and handled by the on-board software.
It will be the responsibility of any team giving any such instruction to satisfy the FIA technical delegate that this was the case and that any new setting chosen in this way did not enhance the performance of the car beyond that prior to the loss of function (see Article 8.2.4 of the Technical Regulations).
5. Indication of a problem with a competitor’s car.
6. Marshalling information (yellow flag, red flag, blue flag, safety car, virtual safety car, race start aborted or other similar instructions or information from race control). This would include a reminder to switch off the SC “delta time” function after crossing the first safety car line twice from the time the SC was deployed.
7. Passing on messages from race control (this would include a countdown to the start of the formation lap and telling a driver that the last car has taken up position on the grid at the end of the formation lap).
8. Wet track, oil or debris in certain corners.
9. Weather information.
10. Information concerning the driver’s own lap time or sector times.
11. Lap time of a competitor.
12. Helping with warning of traffic and gaps to other competitors during a practice session or race.
13. Instructions to swap position with other drivers.
14. Number of laps or time remaining during a practice session or race.
15. Position during a practice session or race.
16. “Push hard”, “push now”, “you will be racing xx”, “take it easy” or similar (you are reminded about suspected use of coded messages when giving these messages or any words of encouragement).
17. When to enter the pits (or go to the grid during reconnaissance laps), any message of this sort may only be used if the driver is to enter the pits on that lap. Having been told when to enter the pits drivers may also be told to stay out if there has been a change of circumstances. Drivers may also be told what to do once they have entered the pits, e.g. “drive through”, “stop in the box”, “practice pit stop”, “into the garage” or similar information related to the pit stop.
18. The driver’s own race pit stop strategy as well as those of his competitors, this is limited to the timing of pit stops and which tyres will be (or have been) used. For the avoidance of doubt, no car or power unit set up may be included in any such strategy discussion.
19. Reminders to use the pit speed limiter, change tyre settings to match the tyres fitted to the car or to check for white lines, bollards, weighbridge lights when entering or leaving the pits.
20. Driving breaches by team driver or competitor, e.g. missing chicanes, running off track, time penalty will be applied etc.
21. Notification that DRS is enabled or disabled
22. Dealing with a DRS system failure.
23. Oil transfer.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I mean, they broke the rule and got on the podium and now everyone else doesnt get to break it. I dont see how Mercedes is the loser here.

Agreed, they definitely made out like wet bandits on this one.

Tsaedje posted:

Seems the FIA have been reading up on The Worst Thread:

FIA posted:

But the FIA is concerned that the cars are too complicated, and do not need to have such complex control systems.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I look forward to next year's FIA rules about the number of switches you're allowed on the steering wheel.
Also, only communication via Morse Code is allowed.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Call me crazy but it appears that the FIA is dumb as poo poo

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Every time I think this sport can't get more convoluted and retarded.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Funzo posted:

Also, only communication via Morse Code is allowed.

Lewis would think the Morse Code is some hella sick beat, man.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
This poo poo is so dumb. When I was back home watching the British GP my mom actually took an interest in it, and I had trouble explaining the unnecessary complexities of things like DRS that we now take for granted. Just ban radios or allow them, trying to police them with more and more regulations like requiring cars to come into the pits is beyond convoluted and I consider myself a pretty close follower of the sport.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

POCKET CHOMP posted:

This poo poo is so dumb. When I was back home watching the British GP my mom actually took an interest in it, and I had trouble explaining the unnecessary complexities of things like DRS that we now take for granted. Just ban radios or allow them, trying to police them with more and more regulations like requiring cars to come into the pits is beyond convoluted and I consider myself a pretty close follower of the sport.

You don't need to understand the intricacies of DRS as a newbie aside from "sometimes, on long straights, they can press a button that'll help them get by other cars in front of them", and learning the specifics of that rule will come with time.
It's the same thing with American football: you don't need to know the intricacies of offensive formations to know that you start a play with the center passing the ball backwards, and you'll learn from there.
I don't disagree that F1 has a bunch of ridiculous and complex rules, but that's not automatically a barrier to people enjoying the sport. I know nothing about cars and knew nothing about auto racing, but still was able to get into it and enjoy "cars go vroom" while learning about the ins and outs.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
From what Brundle was saying at Silverstone it seems the FIA was planning on making these changes prior to the Mercedes incident.

Also the sport I tend to understand the least is definitely cycling and the team tactics and whatnot. Much trickier then F1 and the guy that does the commentary on the tour de france never explains it for me.

AgentJotun fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 21, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
F1 is about cars going fast.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

wicka posted:

the worst sport

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
New rule: La Cucaracha must be broadcast over the radio once per race.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Let's hope Hungary puts on a good show again.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Human Grand Prix posted:

New rule: La Cucaracha must be broadcast over the radio once per race.

This should be the only way to take advantage of blue flags. You have to hit the horn button to play it or you can't pass.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

Let's hope Hungary puts on a good show again.

One of my favorite tracks. So many cool overtake spots.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Riso posted:

The problem are not the people at Ferrari by themselves. They're a hostile political charged environment that makes it impossible to work together.

Kind of reminds me of Jaguar before RB bought it and sorted out the mess.

R.I.P. in peace Jaguar, a cool and good team.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Tsaedje posted:

Good, drivers need to man the gently caress up, they complain about everything, oh boohoo the kerbs are too high, oh boohoo I don't know what this knob on the steering wheel is for...

loving pussies

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The radio ban is retarded and makes the sport look dumb.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm sure drivers never complained during and before whatever loving mystical magic time you love in F1 history Hefe.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Either allow radios or don't. This hokey gimmick poo poo is embarrassing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

boo hoo i don't have food boo hoo i don't have toilet paper

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Tsaedje posted:

this is a great rule and would be applied retroactively if it had been anyone other than Nico "FIA's favourite driver" Rosberg

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's in poor taste to make fun of Venezuela's crippling shortages, imo.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

wicka posted:

boo hoo i don't have food boo hoo i don't have toilet paper

and yet his posting is still better than yours

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

poty posted:

and yet his posting is still better than yours

it takes a lot of pressure to make a diamond

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I just love that the FIA think the steering wheels are too complicated and their solution is to... ban radio communications

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Tsaedje posted:

I just love that the FIA think the steering wheels are too complicated and their solution is to... ban radio communications

They should ban steering wheels instead

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

El Hefe posted:

They should ban steering wheels instead

Get that quad amputee from le mans in

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
They should ban everything and have the sport exist metaphorically.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I seem to recall this thread whining about the coaching on the radio?. I think the radio ban is a Good Thing, but I do think they should be allowed to put whatever they want on the pitboard. It's limited what they can practically put there anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The radio ban would be good if it was in fact a radio ban, but its not, its a "don't say these things" ban.

• Locked thread