Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are you suggesting deathclaw isn't pampered?

Of course not. The thing with Deathclaw is he's obviously the favorite and actually gets to go out on adventures and things all the time, while Scrambles stays back at the zoo and preens.

Catbirds superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I hope CA is selling a catbird and varghulf plush.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
YOU'VE SEEN THE GAME, NOW CUDDLE THE SOFT TOYS

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

John Charity Spring posted:

Day 1 buy

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

John Charity Spring posted:

I feel like the table top would be way better if it was played entirely with soft toys like a 6 year olds tea party.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I dont know posted:

I feel like the table top would be way better if it was played entirely with soft toys like a 6 year olds tea party.

Imagine: an entire subculture of custom needlework, where grogs show off their thimbles instead of their array tiny paintbrushes. GW selling 5 square inch swatches of "ork vomit green" felt instead of lovely little containers of paint.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Man I know we're living a Softer Gentler Games but did you really find my post that aggressive/insulting?

It's all good duder that's just how I post I'm not trying to yell at you. Just post.

Sorry about that, I was in a foul mood yesterday.

Anyways I for one would like a Thorgrim Grudgebearer plush, with palanquin-crib.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Apparently the reinforcement issue won't be fixed in the next update :(

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

You are talking nonsense because it already works exactly as you describe. Settlements razed by Chaos get a little warp-gate looking thing that stays indefinitely (until someone re-colonizes) that generates corruption.

Then it doesn't work right for me, because I just finished a chaos campaign and kislev and the rest of the places that I had had razed forever were completely clear of corruption.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Fangz posted:

I hope CA is selling a catbird and varghulf plush.

That would happen if blizzard was in charge

Get your Manfred plush hat :3:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Dre2Dee2 posted:

That would happen if blizzard was in charge

Get your Manfred plush hat :3:

And rip it's head off! Brillant!

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

genericnick posted:

Frankly I'd prefer auto resolve to be disabled by default except for one sided massacres. Sure it's more tedious but but the strategic layer alone is a pretty sucky game and auto resolve leads to me clicking to victory when I really should just stop and do something else.

Yes, let's disable a feature because you can't resist clicking the button.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The background trees in that Beastpath map seem a bit too much IMO. Fuckers are thousands of feet tall.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Verranicus posted:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

The background trees in that Beastpath map seem a bit too much IMO. Fuckers are thousands of feet tall.

All forests in warhammer world can cross over into Athel Loren if you take the wrong turn.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Verranicus posted:

I'm glad you agree.
But seriously there is a problem when often the optimal strategy is to not play the game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

genericnick posted:

I'm glad you agree.
But seriously there is a problem when often the optimal strategy is to not play the game.

Autoresolve will always be either overpowered or underpowered no matter what CA does, and I'm glad it's the former so I can get out of lovely cheating AI situations. Just don't clcik the button, pretend it isn't there if it offends you so.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Autoresolve is there so you can always skip battles if you are tired, don't have time to play or whatever. If there was no autoresolve many people would just burn out.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'd probably lose interest in the game if I couldn't auto-resolve through sieges. They're fun every once in a while but they become a slog when they start comprising the majority of your battles.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Auto resolve just needs a big overhaul, its needed to not make campaigns drag on with boring stomp fights, but as it is atm you can play trough on VH and auto resolve majority of the battles in the campaign, basicly taking away most of the difficulty.

Regarding the beastmen battle preview, the beastpath map does look cool as hell, but the tiny little normal sized tree's just look rather odd against the gigantic tree's and poo poo in the background.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I feel that the way autoresolve gives huge advantages to one side has done wonders for the AI's ability to consolidate and maintain inertia, I wish it wasn't as loopsided for the player though, but I don't think it is possible to make it operate on different rulesets with a "player=yes" check or whatever.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It is probably possible but people will probably whine really really hard about it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I really don't remember using auto resolve in rome 1 and medieval 2 quite as much, or at the very least manually fighting would always be preferred to auto resolving to keep the death counts low on evenly matched fights.

It can be impossible to keep the death counts as low in a manual battle as auto resolve gives you most of the time.

Especially if it's multi-stack battles and your reinforcements aren't coming from the right direction or you can't get all of your reinforcements to fight at the same time.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The best case scenario would be if autoresolve always performed noticeably worse than manually fighting the battle by whatever small amount that wouldn't be too awful. Right now you're just 100% better off by autoresolving 90% of the battles which is a bit of an issue.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I really don't remember using auto resolve in rome 1 and medieval 2 quite as much, or at the very least manually fighting would always be preferred to auto resolving to keep the death counts low on evenly matched fights.

It can be impossible to keep the death counts as low in a manual battle as auto resolve gives you most of the time.

Especially if it's multi-stack battles and your reinforcements aren't coming from the right direction or you can't get all of your reinforcements to fight at the same time.

Counter to this, smart play (and sometimes a healthy dose of luck/AI being dumb) means you can win battles you play that autoresolve says you have no chance. It's true that this doesn't change the fact that for the most part, yes, you are better off just autoresolving most battles.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm not sure about autoresolving giving me lower death counts on even battles. Things usually seem pretty comparable on that front. The main divergences I notice are lower losses on siege battles where I have the advantage, which has been a thing since forever. Autoresolve also seems to kill fewer of the defeated army's men than I usually manage in manual, and I can often squeeze out close victories when the bar is in the 30% range.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I tend to do a lot better sieging manually because you can abuse the tower cone of fire so badly, and heroes can do some pretty ridiculous work on the walls and in those narrow streets.

Autoresolve tends to be kinda lovely as the vamp counts as well, since you can't group everyone up and replenish most of your losses with overcasted nehek during the routing phase.

There are definitely fights that I could not have won manually that autoresolve gives me a victory for, though. Particularly when I have a lot of garbage units and a higher level lord, which the calculations seem to favor.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah, autoresolve can be somewhat wonky but mostly just in that it largely ignores siege defenses and favors big piles of lovely units more than it should. (And also ignores difficulty settings, but that will probably get fixed.)

Aside from that the reinforcement bug has sometimes forced me to auto-resolve battles I could have won easily if not for random reinforcement point shuffling, which I don't feel particularly guilty about.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

madmac posted:

(And also ignores difficulty settings, but that will probably get fixed.)

I think this is the key behind some people reporting that auto-resolve yields less casualties while others do not. There is no way in hell that you can consistently match the low casualties of auto-resolve with manual battles on Very Hard when the enemy takes forever to break thanks to buffed leadership. But on normal or easy I can see it happening.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

ZearothK posted:

I feel that the way autoresolve gives huge advantages to one side has done wonders for the AI's ability to consolidate and maintain inertia, I wish it wasn't as loopsided for the player though, but I don't think it is possible to make it operate on different rulesets with a "player=yes" check or whatever.

It does what you're talking about through giving bonuses to the Major factions when they resolve against Minor factions, which never applies when autoresolving against the player. I'm not sure if it's actually enabled but going by files it's also generating 5 "rivals" based on your victory provinces and who you're currently at war with. Your rivals also get bonuses against non-rivals and non-majors, to help them become greater threats.

The real issue with autoresolve is, for whatever reason, they did not tie it to difficulty level. In past games the AI would get bonuses against you based on your chosen difficulty, both artificially inflating their troop count for the calculations and giving them a bonus chance of victory beyond that. This would help a lot with the "AI is obnoxiously cowardly and won't engage" complaints, which was always the intent when they'd implemented it in the past--they don't need double the troops to win against you on legendary and autoresolve should reflect that for them.

White Legs
Apr 24, 2006

"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price." :911:

White Legs posted:

Has anyone dealt with the game just no longer launching. Every time I try to launch the launcher, it just immediately closes and says "Total War Launcher has stopped working" . Game was working perfectly fine for months and I can't think of anything that triggered it. I've tried just about every 'Fix' I've come across, I've reinstalled from a backup, redownloaded from scratch, removed folders and verified the cache, rolled back drivers, rolled back patches, changed language. But they all just crash at the launcher doing the same thing.

Flakey posted:

Tried unsubbing from any mods you're using? Dunno if that would make a difference but might be worth a shot.

Yep have unsubbed to the 3 mods I was using, and tried deleting them manually and removing from the modified.log (Suggested by CA/SEGA's FAQ). I'm at my wits end with this, I can't figure out why it worked absolutely fine since release, and now it can't launch despite having tried so many 'Fixes'.
Further PC Info: Windows 10 Pro x64, Intel i5-3570K, Asus GTX 970, 16GB Ram, Asus P8Z77-V

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
How were you rolling back graphics drivers? If you did it via windows driver rollback that's going to be issues since both microsoft and nvidia recommend against doing that--you should either manually remove your stuff via add/remove and lots of separate, tedious cleaning or use a program like display driver uninstaller before manually reinstalling whichever driver version you want.

When you reinstalled from scratch did you also delete the appdata folder in its entirety? You might even want to try just doing that with whatever install you currently have, if that wasn't a folder you've tried deleting. You can backup the savegame folders in there first since those shouldn't be the cause of any issues.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

White Legs posted:

Yep have unsubbed to the 3 mods I was using, and tried deleting them manually and removing from the modified.log (Suggested by CA/SEGA's FAQ). I'm at my wits end with this, I can't figure out why it worked absolutely fine since release, and now it can't launch despite having tried so many 'Fixes'.
Further PC Info: Windows 10 Pro x64, Intel i5-3570K, Asus GTX 970, 16GB Ram, Asus P8Z77-V

A friend of mine had a problem with Attila not starting and this is what solved it for him. Source post.

code:
Please try to reset the TCP/IP and Winsock status.
NOTE: You must be logged on to the computer as an administrator to perform the steps.
- On the Start screen, type CMD. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
- At the command prompt, enter the following command, and then press Enter:
netsh int ip reset reset.txt
- Press Enter and use the second command after that:
netsh winsock reset
- Press Enter again
Now restart the computer and try the game again.
Not sure it would be of any help here, but if you've already done all that, might as well try. If it's no deal you should probably contact SEGA support directly.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is autoresolve still broken for VC where having zombies in an army literally lowered your chances over having no unit in its place at all?

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've finally started having some success with the orc campaign. It may be less orky but NOT Looting & Occupying all new settlements makes it a lot easier to laser-focus on krumpin' those drat stunties.

White Legs
Apr 24, 2006

"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price." :911:

Decus posted:

How were you rolling back graphics drivers? If you did it via windows driver rollback that's going to be issues since both microsoft and nvidia recommend against doing that--you should either manually remove your stuff via add/remove and lots of separate, tedious cleaning or use a program like display driver uninstaller before manually reinstalling whichever driver version you want.

When you reinstalled from scratch did you also delete the appdata folder in its entirety? You might even want to try just doing that with whatever install you currently have, if that wasn't a folder you've tried deleting. You can backup the savegame folders in there first since those shouldn't be the cause of any issues.

Deleted drivers using CCleaner and installed with a fresh download using the 'Clean install' feature, at first I deleted select folders suggested by CA, but after that didn't work I did end up deleting the entire folder to see if that would do anything. No luck.

ZearothK posted:

A friend of mine had a problem with Attila not starting and this is what solved it for him. Source post.

Not sure it would be of any help here, but if you've already done all that, might as well try. If it's no deal you should probably contact SEGA support directly.

I tried this one yesterday but I tried again today just incase, unfortunately it didn't help. It took the launcher an extra couple seconds to launch but then the same old nothing. I've sent off my DxDiag and problem off to the support aswell.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Verranicus posted:

Is autoresolve still broken for VC where having zombies in an army literally lowered your chances over having no unit in its place at all?

Looks like it. I had a stack of 1 Vampire Lord, 2 Vampiresses, 8 Grave Guard w/ Great Weapons and 2 Terrogheists ready to siege a full stack + garrison of Empire troops. I would have won handily with a 3/4 bar advantage. I added 3 zombies to the army and my success rate when to 1/2. :sigh:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Verranicus posted:

That can concievably happen. If a bunch of zombies get wiped without doing anything of value, that applies an 'army losses' morale debuff to the rest of your army.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Aren't zombies expendable though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Can I get a little help deciphering the finer points of skill descriptions.

From what I understand this skill will constantly heal friendly units within range unless <Engaged in Melee>.

Who is it that can not be engaged in melee for the skill to work? If the necromancer can keep healing the battle line in from of him as long as he himself is not bashing anyone this sounds like a really nice skill. If he can only heal units that are out of combat it sounds like a waste of a skill point. Anyone know which it is?

• Locked thread