Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I started out my career driving around all over the place setting up new locations for a retail chain, there are days I wish I could go back to something like that. I got my poo poo done ahead of schedule, boss left me alone, and I got to do some cool poo poo occasionally where I was working.

Sadly with a wife, kid, and salary expectations that no field tech job can meet, that's just not feasible anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

devmd01 posted:

I started out my career driving around all over the place setting up new locations for a retail chain, there are days I wish I could go back to something like that. I got my poo poo done ahead of schedule, boss left me alone, and I got to do some cool poo poo occasionally where I was working.

Sadly with a wife, kid, and salary expectations that no field tech job can meet, that's just not feasible anymore.

Tell your wife that the job is more important than her. Bet your salary expectations go down shortly thereafter. :v:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm really getting fed up with this consultant. He's on a different Zendesk team, and he never assigns any ticket to anyone. So he'll want something from me and I won't see it for hours because it's not in my queue. Actually, nobody assigns anything to me.

Our senior tech also insisted that I had been holding onto a ticket and not doing anything with it for two weeks even after I showed him the event log saying that he was the one that took it 2 weeks ago. This is the same guy who listens to about half a sentence and then replies to what he thinks I meant rather than what I was going to say. And he takes 30 seconds to do it every time because he's so long-winded.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

devmd01 posted:

Sever.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
UK Goons:

So how 'bout that BT outage eh?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/07/21/bt-down-broadband-internet-service-suffers-second-day-of-outages
http://www.wired.co.uk/article/bt-broadband-down-service-outage

Phones have been lovely for two days, E-mail gateway followed suit :confuoot:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Has Microsoft hinted at any future fix for the problem of having two displays at different DPIs meaning that you get to pick which one looks like pure poo poo?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Super Slash posted:

UK Goons:

So how 'bout that BT outage eh?

Phones have been lovely for two days, E-mail gateway followed suit :confuoot:

'Sorry, due to the problems with BT, I can't check my email or access our system from my laptop. All I can do is talk to you on my mobile phone while I diligently work from home '

*talking loudly over the sound of seagulls, donkeys and waves crashing on the beach*

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This loving 71 year old lady.

She closes programs instead of just leaving them open.

Open Word. Type some stuff. Close word.

Open outlook. Read email. WRITE DOWN STUFF. Close outlook.

Open Internet Explorer. Go to website that you wrote down. Login. Get error. Log out.

Calls me. Hey I got an error!

What was it?

I don' tknow I closed out of it. Let me open it back up.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
So I screwed up and took vacation. While I was gone they fired multiple managers, doubled down on their plan of non traditional shifts and shift bidding based on seniority, and stated that we are responsible for maintaining our product credentials, which means no more bonuses or training for certifications, despite the fact that the company needs credentialed individuals to maintain BP status. Basically everything is going to hell, and my major technical challenges during the day are updating tickets in exactly the way they want them to be updated. All this for a high profile support engineering position.

So at this point I am stuck. Avaya, the company whose products I support, is circling the drain and about to abandon their core products to spin off a cloud solution company while everything else goes into bankruptcy. In the mean time, any job search I do has Avaya skills in the 'it would be a bonus if you knew this' category. I am starting to get worried that I am screwed.

The only good thing I can see is that the newest Avaya releases leverage VMWare, so I might be able to use that to get certified and claim some experience, but I am starting to worry that I will be taking 2 steps back career wise soon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My hope is that when I'm that old I can find the comments of kids who have to watch me use a computer.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

xzzy posted:

My hope is that when I'm that old I can find the comments of kids who have to watch me use a computer.

Just watch them try to use Windows 95, now!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So at this point I am stuck. Avaya, the company whose products I support, is circling the drain and about to abandon their core products to spin off a butt solution company while everything else goes into bankruptcy. In the mean time, any job search I do has Avaya skills in the 'it would be a bonus if you knew this' category. I am starting to get worried that I am screwed.

The only good thing I can see is that the newest Avaya releases leverage VMWare, so I might be able to use that to get certified and claim some experience, but I am starting to worry that I will be taking 2 steps back career wise soon.

Don't limit yourself to Avaya, look for anything that's supporting PBX. If you know Avaya stuff you'll be able to pick up on something else pretty quickly (Cisco call manager, for example, which isn't going anywhere).

Or if you're sick of doing PBX support just claim your experience as "IT Support" and roll into a junior network admin spot or similar.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

xzzy posted:

You have critical thinking skills you likely wont have odd problems unless things drastically change. I see young people that do really stupid things with a computer too.

We'll probably do something stupid with our cellphones when some new massively more productive way of using them comes out. What? No you just tap the corners and quick switch programs! Why don't you have email and IM open at the same time old people :rolleyes:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

pixaal posted:

You have critical thinking skills you likely wont have odd problems unless things drastically change. I see young people that do really stupid things with a computer too.

We'll probably do something stupid with our cellphones when some new massively more productive way of using them comes out. What? No you just tap the corners and quick switch programs! Why don't you have email and IM open at the same time old people :rolleyes:

I remember when multiple open apps on your phone was no more than a pipe dream.

Or any apps on your phone at all, for that matter.

e: Hell I remember PHONES. PHYSICAL ACTUAL LAND LINES YOU HAD TO REMEMBER YOUR FRIEND'S NUMBERS FOR.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

^--- gently caress, I still remember 5 landline numbers off the top of my head from when when I was in middle school/high school, I could probably remember another 15-20 if I thought about it for a few minutes, in fact, while I typed this I remembered another 5.

xzzy posted:

I loathe watching other people work, I was helping a junior member of our team yesterday work through some monthly poo poo we have to do (the dumb stuff gets passed to newer people as they learn), and it was... painful. He uses the mouse for EVERYTHING, no shortcut keys at all, and I don't even know how to put this next part, but I guess he's computer disorganized. He'll be copying some files around and will close and re-open all file explorer windows because once he has more than 2 open he doesn't know what's going on. There's a bunch of other stuff that made my brain hurt but I can't remember now because I downed a bit too much Allagash White last night.

I understand that people get a little flustered when others are watching them work, but in tyool 2016 how can someone use the mouse for everything, seriously ctrl-c/x/v is not hard and is much easier than right-click find whatever option in dumb menu and click.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 21, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

We just wrote numbers on the front of our phone book until we had dialed them enough times to remember.

What are strongmen going to tear now?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I remember when multiple open apps on your phone was no more than a pipe dream.

Or any apps on your phone at all, for that matter.

e: Hell I remember PHONES. PHYSICAL ACTUAL LAND LINES YOU HAD TO REMEMBER YOUR FRIEND'S NUMBERS FOR.

Someone was too poor to afford an address book. :smug:

In my early life, I was baffled by these weird number pads when we moved to a big city. They didn't go in a circle. Why didn't they go in a circle?!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Arsten posted:

Someone was too poor to afford an address book. :smug:

In my early life, I was baffled by these weird number pads when we moved to a big city. They didn't go in a circle. Why didn't they go in a circle?!

Ah the White Pages (residential phone books here). My phone number list was a sheet of paper taped to the inside of a cabinet. It was mostly so mom knew your friend's numbers.

I also used to think rotary phones were the cool ones. The dial pads were so booooooring.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pulse dialling :psyduck:

There's something awesome about knowing that you were physically connected to a switch during the process though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcFpaI1Y_SE

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"...to spin off a butt solution company ..."

Don't limit yourself to Avaya, look for anything that's supporting PBX. If you know Avaya stuff you'll be able to pick up on something else pretty quickly (Cisco call manager, for example, which isn't going anywhere).

Or if you're sick of doing PBX support just claim your experience as "IT Support" and roll into a junior network admin spot or similar.

Once again Cloud2Butt is truth.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
So yesterday one of our project guys decides to do server migration work for a client, mid-loving-day, when people are working and doesn't tell anyone.

Mysteriously, all their shared drives on one server disappear. Work is lost, people are panicked and pissed, angry calls/emails start piling in, the works.

Project guy gets the shares restored but some info is missing on 2 drives, so we figure we'll have to restore from backup.

Got one drive restored, but what's this? The other drive wasn't taking backups properly over the last 3 loving weeks? Our backup report was wrong and we weren't being alerted due to incorrect configurations by the backup team? Project guy didn't take any snapshots of the virtual servers before the migration, either? :stonk:

Yep, this oughta be real loving fun to deal with. To top it off, it's my turn on call for my job and, to nobody's surprise, 2 backup team members are out on vacation this week. Gonna be fun watching someone else explain this fuckery to the client because I'll be damned if I get thrown under the bus for this bullshit.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off:
  • American Airlines delays my first leg by 30 minutes.
  • I will miss my connection, causing me to get home tomorrow noon instead of tonight.
  • I call my company's travel agency.
  • Agent: "American sees this as a 30 minute delay, not a half-day delay."
  • Me: "That's nice. Tell them they're wrong, and to have them book me a new flight that gets me home tonight. Delta has a direct flight."
  • Agent: "You could call them."
  • Me: "...Um. I'm calling you. My travel agent."
A good travel agent is worth his/her weight in gold. Lazy ones should be forced to fly on American Airlines for a year.

About to go "gently caress this" and just book everything on Delta for the next year. At least they get me where I go on time consistently and automatically re-book based on missed connections. gently caress AA forever.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ynglaur posted:

A good travel agent is worth his/her weight in gold. Lazy ones should be forced to fly on AmericanSpirit Airlines for a year.

Seriously, Spirit needs to die and burn in hell

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Seriously, Spirit needs to die and burn in hell

Riddle: A plane's pilot is from AA, and the co-pilot is from Spirit. They plan to fly from New York to LA. How long will it take them to arrive?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ynglaur posted:

Riddle: A plane's pilot is from AA, and the co-pilot is from Spirit. They plan to fly from New York to LA. How long will it take them to arrive?

Are there thunderstorms in Orlando?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ynglaur posted:

NaN

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Good airlines are awesome. I took SouthWest yesterday and got caught in their nationwide outage where they computers went down across the county and no flights were moving at all. They gave frequent updates, got stuff back on line, and when we finally got the plane they flight attendant announced that the pilot was going to 'fly it like he stole it' to try to make up time.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Ding ding ding. We have a winner. The correct answer is: "Never. They will be delayed taking off. If they manage to take off, they will be forced to land for maintenance somewhere between the Appalachians and the Rockies. After being forced to stay at a decrepit Holiday Inn for 2 days, passengers will eventually make it to LA via a Greyhound with an over-filling latrine."

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Good airlines are awesome. I took SouthWest yesterday and got caught in their nationwide outage where they computers went down across the county and no flights were moving at all. They gave frequent updates, got stuff back on line, and when we finally got the plane they flight attendant announced that the pilot was going to 'fly it like he stole it' to try to make up time.

Southwest has no place in this thread. They never piss anyone off.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Taking a southwest flight tomorrow at 2PM, still can't check in due to their system not updating correctly, going to get poo poo on and have to sit in the middle. I almost feel bad for whoever the randos are next to me, because, as the middle person, I have the right to BOTH arm rests, and to hell with anyone that attempts to encroach on my limited shoulder/arm room.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFx1Cpxpx1E

Yup

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

MF_James posted:

Taking a southwest flight tomorrow at 2PM, still can't check in due to their system not updating correctly, going to get poo poo on and have to sit in the middle. I almost feel bad for whoever the randos are next to me, because, as the middle person, I have the right to BOTH arm rests, and to hell with anyone that attempts to encroach on my limited shoulder/arm room.

You are going to sit next to the behemoth who will give you the arm rest by putting his arm across the top of the seat, right behind your head.

Happy flights!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

So NOE until AF jets force him to land or else?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MF_James posted:

I pay for the automatic check-in. $15 for guaranteed early A group per ticket is totally worth it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's telling when the airline that functions in a manner that was considered cheap and scummy 20 years ago is now actually the best way to fly.

When southwest first spread to where I was growing up everyone was convinced it would never work.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

xzzy posted:

It's telling when the airline that functions in a manner that was considered cheap and scummy 20 years ago is now actually the best way to fly.

When southwest first spread to where I was growing up everyone was convinced it would never work.

It's definitely not the best way to fly, it's the cheapest.

v-- I feel like everyone else that ever talks about flying has either the worst luck, doesn't fly much so they aren't used to it, or are grognards that can't understand how to deal with being cramped in a tight space with other human beings for 2-10 hours. I have not had a truly awful flying experience in my life, and typically the issues I have are because other passengers are literally insane. People tend to be truly awful when they have to fly, I don't know why, would you rather have to drive wherever and have it take 10x longer AND have to pay attention because you don't want to die?

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 21, 2016

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
That's because all of the other airlines became even more awful. It's not because this became any better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Volmarias posted:

That's because all of the other airlines became even more awful. It's not because this became any better.

:thejoke:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Frontier charges for sodas now and has tray tables you can't even fit a laptop on. The only difference I could see between the chairs in back and up front was that the front did have normal tables.

On the other hand, they do have good booze for the price cheap booze is on other airlines.

gently caress SAT. We got to the airport a few hours early and figured we would relax at a restaurant or bar for a while. They don't have anything before the TSA lines, and our flight was the first Frontier one of the day, so we had to wait for an hour and a half with nothing to do. DIA has a ton of restaurants before the TSA line.

The whole process is just more stressful than it really should be, looking at the individual parts. I also feel kind of restless/anxious in the plane before we start taxiing.

If I had the time, I would much rather road trip wherever I'm going. I would like to take Amtrak sometime, but gently caress me are they expensive. Maybe that will have to wait until we go to Europe sometime in the distant future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://www.interrail.eu/ is good