Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

They've decided to write Chandra as Jaya Ballard flavor text instead of having zero personality, a huge upgrade imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Elyv posted:

They've decided to write Chandra as Jaya Ballard flavor text instead of having zero personality, a huge upgrade imo

What if, Jaya Ballard IS Chandra Nalar, FROM THE FUTURE!!! It would explain the goggles and it's the kind of dumb poo poo they'd retcon.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Quite frankly the more outlandish and ridiculous they go with the story the better if you ask me. How about Jaya Ballard is actually... Pia Nalaar! Or Kiran! Whichever is supposed to be the woman!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

New magic story just reinforces how much I hate the whole Gatewatch shtick. They show up and Chandra immediately says "alright, Eldrazi, so we kill it with fire like last time?" It's totally just rubbing in how stupid the whole Ulamog/Kozilek thing was.

"The Gatewatch is dumb" is different from "the resolution of OGW was dumb." I disagree with the first part and completely agree with the second.

They were working fine together and would have sealed away the Eldrazi if it wasn't for Ob coming and loving everything up. It didn't even take everyone all at once to defeat Ob, just Chandra. Having them team up before that really lessened the impact of "a bunch of 'walkers coming together" that should have been the emotional high water mark of the plot. I would have been fine with the defeat itself being sorta handwavy if the actual team up had been a big moment.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Jaya Ballard is Jace and Chandra's daughter from the future sent back to prevent Gideon from dying from an otherwise incurable heart disease he got while training on Alara. She'll return in the next block when Mecha-Kozilek returns to get his revenge for the embarrassing loss he suffered on Zendikar and Jaya just roasts it in one go and hands him the cure.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Angry Grimace posted:

Jaya Ballard is Jace and Chandra's daughter from the future sent back to prevent Gideon from dying from an otherwise incurable heart disease he got while training on Alara. She'll return in the next block when Mecha-Kozilek returns to get his revenge for the embarrassing loss he suffered on Zendikar and Jaya just roasts it in one go and hands him the cure.

The real question is, who is Vegita?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Thisuck posted:

Clearly Jace, right?

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Thisuck posted:

I want to know whose kid Jaya will Meld with.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Trilas posted:

Young Pyromancer.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Cactrot posted:

Young Pyromancer.

Wouldn't Young Peezy be Grandpa Peezy by then?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Trilas posted:

Gideon and Nissa's.

Come on, it's like you guys aren't even trying.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh god, I just realized that means that Gideon and Jace would end up melding too.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Some Numbers posted:

Oh god, I just realized that means that Gideon and Jace would end up melding too.

Bring on Gace.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Some Numbers posted:

If the result is like Brisela, then I'm all for it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Entropic posted:

Bring on Gace.

Surely it would be Jacideon?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
https://twitter.com/lsv/status/755858398369812481

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
So this makes Naya Scott-Vargas some kind of wild nacatl

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Retromancer posted:

more or less. made by ogre wizards. massive magic boost but when you use it they try to get you to resurrect their dead race somehow.

okkar blood magic in itself is fueled by deals with demons (cause they are oni) and empowered by the souls of their ancestors who are paying their portions of the deals with the demons...so yeah using their magic is literally channeling their souls.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Thisuck posted:

What if, Jaya Ballard IS Chandra Nalar, FROM THE FUTURE!!! It would explain the goggles and it's the kind of dumb poo poo they'd retcon.

Chandra is actually the abbess or something of a monastery that worships Jaya. The goggles are the monastery's sacred relic.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

These are hoogland lists. The bant humans is really close to my playgroups 75 and its really solid. It seems to be really good at droping a creature turn 1/2/3 and then riding tamiyo to victory. D-command is a really good card.

The emerge deck though is something I haven't seen before and its pretty amazing.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 21, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Reporting from baby Magic land "Magic Duels" for babies:

Looping Emerge creatures with Grapple with Past is fun

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So my opponent goes Ancient Tomb, Sol Ring, Simic Signet, go. I cast Thoughtseize and see this:

my opponent went deep. First game they played a R/G Temple, I Hymned an Emrakul and Ancient Tomb, and then won without them playing another land. I kind of wish I didn't win that match in 5 minutes just to see what they had.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

4 5 color Eldrich evolution?

Nomadic Scholar fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 21, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Reanimator Black Lotus is good in cube:

Game lengths:
M1G1: 2 Minutes
M1G2: 3 Minutes
M2G1: 4 Minutes
M2G2: 3 Minutes
M3G1: 2 Minutes
M3G2: 5 Minutes

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

These are hoogland lists. The bant humans is really close to my playgroups 75 and its really solid. It seems to be really good at droping a creature turn 1/2/3 and then riding tamiyo to victory. D-command is a really good card.

I can't wait until Company rotates in like 2ish months, good loving god

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

80s James Hetfield posted:

I can't wait until Company rotates in like 2ish months, good loving god

Yeah that stupid card never should have been printed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Playing a Bant deck without Spell Queller is malpractice.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I could see how someone could feel that way and you may end up right. The problem you find when playing the deck is that it is hard to fit both 4 reflector mage and 4 spell queller in the same deck if you want to be aggressive. As great and awesome and spell queller is, reflector mage just a little more aggressive. Its more of a meta decision at this point. When playtesting games it just feels better when playing with a list closer to what I posted.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Having played Bant Humans with and without Eldrazi Displacer, I can't see leaving it out of the list.
I would -1 Thraben -1 Duskwatch +2 Displacer.

It is so good against G/W tokens.

I am really curious about Tamio. I have my doubts about her; she seems really good when you are ahead, and bad when you are trying to catch up. I want my 4 mana spells to turn the game around. (I have not play tested her)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DangerDongs posted:

Having played Bant Humans with and without Eldrazi Displacer, I can't see leaving it out of the list.
I would -1 Thraben -1 Duskwatch +2 Displacer.

It is so good against G/W tokens.

I am really curious about Tamio. I have my doubts about her; she seems really good when you are ahead, and bad when you are trying to catch up. I want my 4 mana spells to turn the game around. (I have not play tested her)

I think both of her modes are relevant. In playtesting, tapping down 2 creatures is very relevant when you are behind. Often this means she comes down, taps things often making it hard for you opponent to attack, you come back to your turn being more able to plus and get back into the game. She punishes your opponent pretty hard if you are ahead on board and this deck seems to do that so often with reflector mage. She isn't a win more card.

She is just really flexible. Her plus can target any creature. I have played on a board controlling no creatures only to force my opponent to attack down her 5 loyalty to draw me 2 cards. I have also mixed in one of my creatures and one of my opponents at times. Another perk is that decks that would run ruinous path aren't going to be super popular.

I take back what I said about tokens. Tokens isn't great against spirits and is loving awful against the emerge deck. The more tuned the new decks get the worse tokens seems. Tokens might not be the powerhouse it was. If you have trade pieces from that deck I would trade them soon.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 21, 2016

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
So when I quit last year over the zach jessie debacle, I ended up playing smash competitively to fill the void. Well last weekend, some 27 year old famous (within the scene) guy fondled a drunken 17yo girl (while also drunk) twice in an afterparty for the game at EVO. 1 year ban, still has tons oF support. I guess I was wrong when I said this community was the worst.

Fun fact: I got to see a lot of the same rhetoric to defend this rape guy as the last time.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Tonetta posted:

So when I quit last year over the zach jessie debacle, I ended up playing smash competitively to fill the void. Well last weekend, some 27 year old famous (within the scene) guy fondled a drunken 17yo girl (while also drunk) twice in an afterparty for the game at EVO. 1 year ban, still has tons oF support. I guess I was wrong when I said this community was the worst.

Fun fact: I got to see a lot of the same rhetoric to defend this rape guy as the last time.

I used to be into the fgc for years and lol if you thought it would be better for some reason. There are poo poo people everywhere in life. You can't quit every hobby that poo poo people take place in, you'll run out of hobbies.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

I played against a guy with version that had Queller and a couple of Elder Deep-Frieds to boot and borderline oppressive to play against.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tonetta posted:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I used to be into the fgc for years and lol if you thought it would be better for some reason. There are poo poo people everywhere in life. You can't quit every hobby that poo poo people take place in, you'll run out of hobbies.

I love fighting games, but the FGC is definitely the worst. Honestly any competitive scene is going to have dinglefucks and scandals like this all over the place. There is a certain mindset that is attracted to this sort of competition, and a lot of it overlaps with the MRA misogynist shitlords. Even though it isn't perfect, probably the best gaming community insofar as not being rape-apologist poo poo lords is the Eurogame community.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Tonetta posted:

I'd say welcome back, but honestly, I'm just sad that there's basically no geeky/nerdy hobby on earth without a voracious pack of completely unempathetic assholes.

While you were gone, there have been more women involved in coverage, most notably gaby spartz, so magic might not be as hopeless as the fgc.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Smash isn't really fgc imo, but you're absolutely right that the fgc is mega poo poo.

This doesn't mean i'm coming back to magic, but I might. I've been an off-and-on player for like 20 years now so there's a chance. I can at least take comfort in knowing wotc will do the right thing, even if the manchildren who run the metagame will not.

I still follow a little magic here and there, like the alpha investments youtube channel. That guy owns.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Magic coverage has been updated and they're doing 4 more GPs this year.
Also:

DailyMTG posted:

In following conversations across social media over the last couple of months, I recognized that a little clarity on our commentator positions would be worthwhile.

Play-by-play commentator: At its heart, Magic is a game about conversation—between players in-game, friends after a round, fans across social media, and countless other combinations. The responsibility of the play-by-play role is to bring you, the viewer, into our conversation about this game we all love and the excitement of watching the very best play it. They narrate round-by-round action, stay on top of the life totals, introduce you to players and their lives inside and outside of Magic, and handle all transitions between rounds and segments. In journalism terms, they handle the who, what, and where of the story. This role is also referred to as the host.
Color commentator: This role is 100% focused on the Magic. While the play-by-play commentator may be juggling lots of data inputs in a given round (watching gameplay with a director in their ear and a producer passing on player info), the color commentator's attention is locked in on that overhead shot. A match of Magic can be extremely complicated, and the color commentator needs not only a high level of expertise to understand what's going on, but also speaking skills to convey that info clearly to the viewers. The color commentator handles the why and how of what just happened—and what may be happening in the future. This role is also called the expert or analyst.
LSV has been officially designated Bobby "The Brain" Heenan and Randy Buehler is Don West or whatever.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GeneX posted:

I'd say welcome back, but honestly, I'm just sad that there's basically no geeky/nerdy hobby on earth without a voracious pack of completely unempathetic assholes.

While you were gone, there have been more women involved in coverage, most notably gaby spartz, so magic might not be as hopeless as the fgc.

dont you remember the one guy who got real buttmad that she asks simplistic questions, cause apparently helping newer players understand the game is really bad

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Boco_T posted:

Magic coverage has been updated and they're doing 4 more GPs this year.
Also:

LSV has been officially designated Bobby "The Brain" Heenan and Randy Buehler is Don West or whatever.

Ok so which role is the idiot who isn't charismatic or knowledgeable about the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I mea why would you want to facilitate more money into the system when you could just play with the same 50 people at every event and call it "metagaming" and "building a story line"

• Locked thread