Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The bright colors honestly really bring out the other huge problem with the colors of both the movie suits and these toys.

No white. White is a fantastic balance for primary colors and it is sorely missed here.

And yeah those designs...the helmets are the worst. Jason is the only one whose helmet really evokes his animal, Kim is the second closest. The rest are just kind of generic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
They're under poor LED lighting that looks neither like soft room lighting or like daylight, so I'll hold my reservations. It does seem like the movie costumes were made to be as close to the toys as possible instead of vice versa.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Speaking of helmets...

http://comicbook.com/2016/07/21/power-rangers-movie-first-up-close-look-at-helmets-and-power-coi/

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

They're under poor LED lighting that looks neither like soft room lighting or like daylight, so I'll hold my reservations. It does seem like the movie costumes were made to be as close to the toys as possible instead of vice versa.

Yeah I mentioned that in the Other Thread

I really want to see what these look like in natural lighting. I cannot tell what the hell their secondary colors are supposed to be as it keeps changing from shot to shot.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Burkion posted:

Yeah I mentioned that in the Other Thread

I really want to see what these look like in natural lighting. I cannot tell what the hell their secondary colors are supposed to be as it keeps changing from shot to shot.

I'm thinking it's silver/chrome.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Literally The Worst posted:

I'm in the middle of rewatching/watching double with a friend and we just got up to Accels debut and I can't wait to see her reaction to the last two parter

JUST TELL HIM YOU LOVE HIM, SHOTARO, YOU IDIOT

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Anyway I went suddenly and briefly insane and ordered up a Super Best edition Double Driver.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DoctorWhat posted:

Anyway I went suddenly and briefly insane and ordered up a Super Best edition Double Driver.

If it makes you feel better, I would have done this with Kabuto merch in college if I hadn't been so broke at the time.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Never has any goon saying "I would have done the same" reassured anyone, ever, but thanks anyway.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Never has any goon saying "I would have done the same" reassured anyone, ever, but thanks anyway.

What about two goons? I ordered a Super Best Double Driver shortly after finishing the series as well, and it was actually more expensive back then than it is now. It was just something I had to own, it's too loving cool. :D

I also took it further and cosplayed Shotaro... So, uh, at least you're still at "merch" level?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's true, I'd never be caught dead in a fedora. I'm not hard-boiled enough to get away with that.

I paid 90bux for the Driver incl shipping and I did it because I ascribe my Smash Bros character picks to Double forms. Roy is HeatMetal. Sonic is FangJoker. Samus (Fusion Suit) is LunaTrigger.

So now I'll be able to bring the Memories to torneys and make obnoxious noises to signify my character picks.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Actually, were you at New York Comic Con a couple years back? Because I ran into a cosplayer of either Shotaro or Decade (can't recall) then...

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nah, I've never been to NYC. I've run into a few Shotaros and one Philip in the handful of Cons I've been to though, it always makes me happy to see someone cosplaying a Rider or a non-Zyuranger Sentai. (Nothing wrong with Zyuranger, it's just super common.)

EDIT: Also Fang is sold separately so unless you sprung for that, Sonic is gonna be locked out. :(

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

No I haven't sprung for Fang yet. I'd rather have the T2 Fang anyway for practical purposes but that's part of an expensive set so WELP.

Looking forward to activating METAL BRANDING whenever I get a shield break with Roy though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What, you bought The Coat.

This is easily less embarrassing to be seen wearing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Coat is unmistakably a Thing. At a glance across the convention floor, you can tell it's part of a costume.

Some skinny white fucker in a fedora, vest, and tie? Not so much.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

The Coat is unmistakably a Thing. At a glance across the convention floor, you can tell it's part of a costume.

Some skinny white fucker in a fedora, vest, and tie? Not so much.

Let's be honest

That's part of a costume too

The Goon Costume. Come, What- your people are calling

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'LL NEVER JOIN YOU!!

Wait, wrong series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Can't be worse than Nin2, right?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

More outta SDCC, because it counts as tokusatsu

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/756305496710209536

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
that godzilla probably doesn't do karate :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I knew it was coming...but I'm still bummed there's no ToQger adaptation

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
How crazy is Anno going to get with Godzilla?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RealFoxy posted:

How crazy is Anno going to get with Godzilla?

Well he already looks like a walking nuclear corpse

So acceptably weird

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Oh jeez this Double Driver is cool as loving hell but I really really should have ordered a belt extension.

Still can do that, of course.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shout's got an Ultraman marathon comin'!

https://twitter.com/RagoneAugust/status/756695199342927873

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Love you Ultraman you weird, amazing wonderful show.

Happy 50th you crazy diamond. Sorry you didn't get a new show.

Seriously anyone who cares, track down two episodes of Ultraman and watch them back to back- My Home Is Earth and Present From The Sky

Watch them subbed because the dub BUTCHERS My Home Is Earth. I am normally a huge fan of dubs, but gently caress the dub of Ultraman.

You will get whiplash something fierce.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Burkion posted:

Love you Ultraman you weird, amazing wonderful show.

Happy 50th you crazy diamond. Sorry you didn't get a new sho

You mean like... a direct sequel featuring original recipe Man? Because there's Orb for a new show, and then there's also O.G.'s appearance in the X movie

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
where's my option for an ohranger preorder goddammit

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Literally The Worst posted:

where's my option for an ohranger preorder goddammit

poo poo, I forgot we were getting Ohranger. Thanks for the happy reminder!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OnimaruXLR posted:

You mean like... a direct sequel featuring original recipe Man? Because there's Orb for a new show, and then there's also O.G.'s appearance in the X movie

Or at least a movie

It's not an unreasonable thing to request because every anniversary UltraSeven has gotten something pretty major, and as much as I love UltraSeven and he is the better hero and show, the original deserves SOMETHING!

Seriously, 94 was two years shy of his 25th but to make up for that he got two TV movies that were a direct follow up, 98 and 99 he got a series of feature length adventures dedicated to his 30th, his 35th was UltraSeven Evolution and then for his 40th he got UltraSeven X, a brand new series on TV!

His 45th saw his series get brought over to the States on DVD and his 94-2002 series collected in a box set for Japan, and of course he was getting all kinds of indirect love through his son in the years before

Next year is his 50th and if things keep on track he's going to get something special. Meanwhile, Ultraman has never had an actual follow up.

You might be wondering about the 70s and 80s. Well in 80s Tsuburaya were busy with other matters and gave the Ultra franchise a break after Ultraman 80 (where UltraSeven was the only original Ultra to show up, sort of) though the super obscure Andro Melos series featured his iconography heavily and one of the characters had a mystery about if they WERE UltraSeven in disguise. Because.

As for the 70s, 74 saw Seven be the co-main character alongside Ultraman Leo

And in 1979

This was made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tzchvLj9eM

Suck it other non disco theme having heroes

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Misao continues to have his head Zyumans and they're still amusing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Misao's gimmick is still kind of annoying but he is kind of cool when he's on the ball (and to be fair, he figured out what really happened a lot sooner than I expected), his Zyumen are hillarious though and I'm glad to see they're sticking around. I also like how they've started showing videos of fans dancing in the credits ala Kyoryuger. Assuming he survives the episode it looks like we're introducing a new main villian next time, that could be interesting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Misao's gimmick is still kind of annoying but he is kind of cool when he's on the ball (and to be fair, he figured out what really happened a lot sooner than I expected), his Zyumen are hillarious though and I'm glad to see they're sticking around. I also like how they've started showing videos of fans dancing in the credits ala Kyoryuger. Assuming he survives the episode it looks like we're introducing a new main villian next time, that could be interesting.

The next episode is the obligatory movie tie-in episode it looks like.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Finally done with Kamen Rider W. Very fun, I totally see why people recommend it so much here. The middle episodes don't even feel much like filler, and the movies are great. The second one, with the A-to-Z memories stuff, is a perfect feel-good Saturday afternoon popcorn action flick.

Kamen Rider Skull and Kamen Rider Joker are among my favorite Rider designs, right alongside with Black.

Looking for recommendations on what to watch next. There's an entire world of pre-Power Rangers super sentai I want to explore, and I'm super curious about those Showa metal hero series as well which I barely remember from childhood. Do you guys know any good series on these fronts?

Also Garo is considered quite good, right? I'd also be up for a more modern series that isn't KR or super sentai.

The stuff I've already watched is: KR Black, W and OOO; Bioman, Dairanger, Metalder. Favorite is hands-down Black.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 26, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cyphoderus posted:

Finally done with Kamen Rider W. Very fun, I totally see why people recommend it so much here. The middle episodes don't even feel much like filler, and the movies are great. The second one, with the A-to-Z memories stuff, is a perfect feel-good Saturday afternoon popcorn action flick.

Kamen Rider Skull and Kamen Rider Joker are among my favorite Rider designs, right alongside with Black.

Looking for recommendations on what to watch next. There's an entire world of pre-Power Rangers super sentai I want to explore, and I'm super curious about those Showa metal hero series as well which I barely remember from childhood. Do you guys know any good series on these fronts?

Also Garo is considered quite good, right? I'd also be up for a more modern series that isn't KR or super sentai.

The stuff I've already watched is: KR Black, W and OOO; Bioman, Dairanger, Metalder. Favorite is hands-down Black.

Garo is fantastic. Season 1 has one of the strongest finales of any toku and the first movie that caps it off is wonderful.

Avoid season 3 and 5 if you can help it.

The Metal Hero series are sadly not subbed very far, unless you want not great HK subs. Juspion is pretty fantastic but is also a huge outlier because it's all about fighting giant monsters- It's pretty far along though so you could start it without trouble. You might recognize the lead actor as the one who played the temporary Evil Ranger-Sorta character in Bioman.

With HK subs, even then the most you might stumble into is Space Sheriff Gavan, which has good subs up to a certain point, Sharivan and Shaider. Shaider might not fit with your tastes too well though, it's kind of made of drugs and is very silly.

Changeman and Liveman are both great 80s Sentai.

Kuuga is a great Rider series, though if you don't mind one that's a bit older, if you can track down V3 he's my absolute favorite above even Kuuga and Black, who I rank as my second favorite equally.

And if I can suggest something not on the table

http://www.crunchyroll.com/ultraman-nexus

Ultraman Nexus.

Watch Ultraman Nexus.

It's officially subbed and licensed. You don't have to worry about the history of the franchise at all. It's entirely in the same vein as Black only even more serious and twisted.

The only problem is the very last episode because they had to shove an entire 10 episode arc into 24 minutes because gently caress that TV network shoving Nexus into the kids time slot.

Nexus is a great awesome show and deserves a look see.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Cyphoderus posted:

Part of what I really liked about W was how it leveraged its formula to make every episode worthwhile. The two-parter format is excellent for binge-watching because the cliffhangers are really well-constructed and strongly based upon the audience AND the characters discovering new information that reframes the existing plot.

The mystery-of-the-fortnight structure also does a great job of making the monsters feel meaningful. Two episodes/45 minutes gives you time to get used to the characters of each story, become invested in their needs, and want the best for them. I'd often find myself genuinely disappointed - but narratively satisfied- when a likable character turned out to be a Dopant.

Plus having only ~25 stories meant that filler didn't really exist. The first 2/3rds of the show introduce new characters, powers, and tools at an even pace, and by the time the heroes have their full arsenal of abilities, the show is ready to focus on setting up the board for the ideological and practical conflicts leading up through the finale - it never has to spin its wheels.

Plus the villains were excellent. The Sonozaki family (and their wonderful little lietmotif) were unmistakably villainous without being embodiments of petty malice, and the family politics are paced fantastically. The dichotomy of antiheroic Nasca and detestable Weather was great.

W's powers were really well executed too. Apart from the toyetic garbage with the bike in early episodes, W's powers felt genuinely versatile and necessary, and were used intelligently. At one point I wondered if Philip and Shotaro would or could morph straight into HeatJoker, and they actually discussed and implemented that strategy. Xtreme being a bit of a Win Button was weak, but its acquisition felt earned and seeing Philip and Shotaro fully unite was really satisfying, and FangJoker was a fun mixup that was smartly limited by its body switcheroo.

Great cast, great management of its toyetics, and exactly as much story as it needed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
w had a shitload of filler. there were a bunch of times where they beat the monster at the end of the first episode, then the monster got away for no particular reason so they had to do it again at the end of the next one.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Maybe it's because I binged it, but that kind of goes away when you consider each 2-parter as a single 45-minute episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It still gets a little silly. But honestly W did it best for that kind of thing

The later Rider series abused the hell out of that format.

V3 actually has that format as well, most of the time. Ultraman Nexus just has story arcs around most of the monsters because it's...a very different kind of show.

(Watch Ultraman Nexus. There is no filler)

• Locked thread