Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Not even ISIS, just some local chumps that only recently got in contact with ISIS.

Also we have such low self-esteem as a nation that I'd say 30% of the comments on that piece of news are something like "yeah, right, bet you wouldn't get REAL terrorists", or the "I bet this is a cover-up for political things, FORA PT". Oh, and there's a smaller piece of news hidden in there: they were monitoring Whatsapp and Telegram. So can you please stop the fuckin' Whatsapp bans I don't even use that poo poo and it gets on my nerves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Paraguay fucks with Brazil again.

What's going in Paraguay right now anyways?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The utter ineptitude part is Greenwald being nice. By now it is pretty clear that Folha was just being dishonest:

https://theintercept.com/2016/07/21/folhas-journalistic-fraud-far-worse-than-we-reported-yesterday-a-smoking-gun-emerges/

The ineptitude part is how people found out.

And you can see the lovely Brazilian media at work again. The new government wants a longer work week and the ability to negotiate salary reductions. How does folha call this labor rights reform? "Modernizing labor laws." As in "the government wants to modernize labor laws." As if there is anything "modern" in that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The IMF said that our economic prospects are getting better though! And apparently Temer made a decree to start the Brazilian CIA under an intelligence general and theres nothing ominous about that!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I don't mean to be a conspiracy theorist, but if sone loon or ISIS dope manages to set off even a sparkler during the Olympic games, Ergodan will be jealous of the purge and power grab Brazil's current regime will pull off.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Well, they are already trying to pass a law that members of the army who kill civilians during the olympics would be tried in military court only.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sephyr posted:

I don't mean to be a conspiracy theorist, but if sone loon or ISIS dope manages to set off even a sparkler during the Olympic games, Ergodan will be jealous of the purge and power grab Brazil's current regime will pull off.

I feel like Temer and his pals suck up to America too much to do a legit armed coup. Besides, they already got what they wanted anyway.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

How much of that terrorist cell is true anyway? Those guys look straight out of four lions, trying to buy guns online and raising chickens

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, the guys in Four Lions still blew up some people, so better safe than sorry.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/WyreDavies/status/757262759100837888?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

lmao

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Paes is adorable and by adorable I mean a complete imbecile. All of his interviews regarding the Games are amazing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dias posted:

Paes is adorable and by adorable I mean a complete imbecile. All of his interviews regarding the Games are amazing.

Him asking for pokemon go to come to brazil with a bunch of lovely photoshop pics of pokemon on the olympics was pretty astounding

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh poo poo

https://www.rt.com/news/354152-brazil-natal-prison-riots/

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah, sucks to be in Natal right now doesn't it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Where the gently caress is Temer is he afraid of getting booed lmao

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Where the gently caress is Temer is he afraid of getting booed lmao

Literally that, in fact.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Dias posted:

Literally that, in fact.

Haha, he did get BOO'd big time.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
And now they are kicking out of the stadiums anyone who says anything against Temer.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/slicerlucas/status/762293628853219328

One can only hope.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
When I was in Brazil I went to a couple of Atletico Mineiro matches and they were all there, along with the "Lutar, Lutar, Lutar, Temer jamais" banner. Police would let them be for a while, but the CBF security would always get them to remove it after a few minutes.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Meanwhile, Dilma Rousseff's indictment garnered more votes than the vote in May.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

My friend is writing his BA on the subject of our government cutting all aid to Bolivia and wants to make the case that this is a bad idea, touching upon the obvious points about poverty and other indicators through official stats. Those are fairly easy to dig up. However, he could use some good writeups on the general economic situation, especially on the dual economy, dependency on aid and the like. If anybody is willing to throw some links my way, either here or via PM, that would be very much appreciated.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
In case you were wondering if the Brazilian political situation is really a coup:

http://www.valor.com.br/politica/4667289/anistia-da-lava-jato

Congress is planning on passing a law declaring amnesty for those caught in the Lava Jato investigation after Marcelo Odebrecht's testimony included higher ups in PSDB in a number of scandals.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Don't you see, national unity and political stability are more important than justice, it is better to endure a disgusting status quo than to deal with the uncertainty involved in resolving historical ills of the nation.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
What is the popular mood in Brazil around these political moves? Is everyone just sick and tired of the whole affair or is there any resistance to Temer's actions?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mozi posted:

What is the popular mood in Brazil around these political moves? Is everyone just sick and tired of the whole affair or is there any resistance to Temer's actions?

Yes

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mozi posted:

A small part of the population is still protesting, mostly people that approved of Dilma's government, leftist college students, etc, but most people are just letting it ride, even if they don't like Temer. Some of it is fear that complaining about Temer will put Dilma back in power, some of it is because they don't really give a gently caress about corruption, they just don't want PT in power (fuckin' commies). One thing you need to know is that ALL of those big protests were "organized" by Movimento Brasil Livre and FIESP (a conglomerate of industry businesses), and to them, Temer's unpopular measures are GOOD things. They aren't gonna shake the boat even if this current cabinet is WORSE than the one we had before.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
A lot of the protests opposing Dilma were astroturffed to hell. FIESP and PMDB both paid huge amounts of money to protest organizers to get them going. And then there is the media. Compare the coverage of Lula's ranch and the allegation that Serra took 23 million off the books. The result is that while Temer may be as unpopular as Dilma was, there is very little organized opposition to him. And he hasn't been exactly shy in terms of turning on the faucets of public money to his political allies to make sure they stay the path on impeachment. Upper classes always wanted to get rid of PT, so they don't care Temer is a corrupt piece of poo poo. Lower classes who aren't PT supporters essentially shrug and go "everyone is corrupt, so whatever."

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
:\ That really sucks and I worry about the damage he can do to labor rights and the environment.

I'm just surprised and disappointed that nobody seems to give a crap about Operation Car Wash anymore. It's almost as if nobody really cared at all and are happy to live under extreme corruption for no apparent benefit to themselves.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 15, 2016

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

We need a loving civil war so bad.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

We need a loving civil war so bad.

Syria will trade with you guys.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Mozi posted:

:\ That really sucks and I worry about the damage he can do to labor rights and the environment.

I'm just surprised and disappointed that nobody seems to give a crap about Operation Car Wash anymore. It's almost as if nobody really cared at all and are happy to live under extreme corruption for no apparent benefit to themselves.

As long as the parties involved don't rock the boat too much (or at least if everyone's making money out of it), most people think corruption in Brazil is just business as usual, and beyond their control.

I do hope that as soon as the lower and middle classes notice Temer wants to get rid of whatever scraps they've been given this last decade the protests pick up again, but given that no one seems to be making that much of a fuss about the gutting of social security and retirement plans (which, as far as I remember, were also on Dilma's chopping block, though not to the current level), I'm really doubtful.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEaYZhHY6rU

I don't remember if this was already posted, but latin_america.mp4

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is there any country with a legitimately good political party to chose from that is a major party? Iceland? Ecuador? Bolivia?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is there any country with a legitimately good political party to chose from that is a major party? Iceland? Ecuador? Bolivia?

The Hezbollah did a good bunch of gains in Lebanon

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Labour under Corbae, various other insurgent leftist parties in Europe such as Die Linke in Germany, Melenchon's party in France, etc

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How is the Latin American Left doing? Such as Bolivia, Uruguay, and Ecuador?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Raising taxes and cutting spending to cover for the holes left by Mujica*, attacking the justice system to cover their tracks and increase their power, pretending anyone who disagrees with them was in favor of the dictatorship and is a fascist. Continuing give away or land and resources to foreign companies, getting half their laws declared unconstitutional (at least until they can control the supreme court which will probably happen in a few years)

The usual stuff

*Who to no one's surprise failed to keep his promise of quitting politics after leaving office and is still a Senator (even though he is never there because he keeps traveling to places where they still believe he isn't a lying piece of poo poo to get his ego stroked)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

icantfindaname posted:

Labour under Corbae, various other insurgent leftist parties in Europe such as Die Linke in Germany, Melenchon's party in France, etc

* both Labour under Jam Man (and John IRON DISCIPLINE McDonnell) and Die Linke are shady atm (and does Die Linke qualify as a major party anyway? its vote share is in the ballpark of UK Lib Dems). Even Die Linke - never mind Corbae's Labour - have a rhetoric of radical economic transformation that is quite distant from the relatively tepid policies

Melenchon's Left Party certainly doesn't qualify as a major party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
Can't we all agree that the "izquierda latinoamerica" has failed miserably?