Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

repiv posted:

Only for 1440p, dual-link DVI is fine for 1080p 144hz. His monitor doesn't even have Displayport :v:

D'oh, I missed the 1080p part somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

When the difference is only $30 you should get the one you think you will be happy with, just be aware that it will probably hit 2100MHz at most just like all the other 1070s on the market. Don't ask yourself "Is it dumb to spend $30 more?" ask yourself "Is this the card I want?" If a big cooler, a bunch of power phases, blingy lights or a certain look to the card makes you happy then go for it.

This is real true. At the end of the day we're turning dollars into dopamine. Most of us are here because knowing things and being able to consider ourselves informed buyers gets it flowing, but if you want the tacky bullshit, go all out on it.

That reminds me to spin up a game and watch my 290's color change temperature indicator go.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
If people are trying to snag a cheap GTX 1070, here's a lovely blower one for $360 after code SHOP10 and all the Jet "no returns, pay by debit" discounts.

https://jet.com/product/ASUS-GeForce-GTX-1070-TURBO-GTX1070-8G-8GB-256-Bit-GDDR5-PCI-Express-30-HDCP-Rea/a7c14afa10af44ad86b1eb0b68f0263a

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Twerk from Home posted:

If people are trying to snag a cheap GTX 1070, here's a lovely blower one for $360 after code SHOP10 and all the Jet "no returns, pay by debit" discounts.

https://jet.com/product/ASUS-GeForce-GTX-1070-TURBO-GTX1070-8G-8GB-256-Bit-GDDR5-PCI-Express-30-HDCP-Rea/a7c14afa10af44ad86b1eb0b68f0263a

Yeah I was looking at this. Will I hate myself for it? I haven't had a blower since my 8800. Are they loud as gently caress or something?

Also this has been up for a couple days. Does Jet really have that much stock or are they doing some bullshit preorder nonsense without saying so?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

ddogflex posted:

Yeah I was looking at this. Will I hate myself for it? I haven't had a blower since my 8800. Are they loud as gently caress or something?

Also this has been up for a couple days. Does Jet really have that much stock or are they doing some bullshit preorder nonsense without saying so?

Jet doesn't have ANY stock. They just send your order to someone else to fill. The last time I ordered from Jet, I got items from three different places, one of which was Newegg.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ddogflex posted:

Doesn't look like anyone has reviewed that blower, so :iiam:

Worst case scenario you can always replace the blower with a Kraken G10 + cheap AIO, and end up paying about the same as a quality air-cooled 1070.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Twerk from Home posted:

Make a crappy youtube review video of it and rake in those youtube bux and eventually it will be free!

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

repiv posted:

What are you doing with that system? Such a low-powered machine with a 144hz monitor is an odd combination.

It's for psychophysics labs. We don't need a lot of graphical power (it's typically simple static 2D and gets page-flipped), but for some experiments a high refresh rate is important. There are issues with TFTs in general for this, but that's why I'm investigating the feasibility of it.

The low spec of the system is just standard current lab PCs we have... don't have enough cash to buy new PCs for every lab at the moment.

quote:

That card doesn't work because it only supports single-link DVI, you need something like the GT 710 with dual-link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487221

Yeah I was looking at that one, though they recommend 300W+. I have a feeling what I'm looking for might not exist and I'll have to try and get budget for replacing all the PCs...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

Jet doesn't have ANY stock. They just send your order to someone else to fill. The last time I ordered from Jet, I got items from three different places, one of which was Newegg.

Yeah, Jet's a drop shipper that's currently in "growth mode" selling things under cost to get customers. As long as that VC money keeps flowing, they're fine.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

.jpg posted:

Yeah I was looking at that one, though they recommend 300W+. I have a feeling what I'm looking for might not exist and I'll have to try and get budget for replacing all the PCs...

The GT710 only draws 19W, I imagine it's fine even with that anemic PSU. That R7 240 you were given actually uses more power (30W).

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

.jpg posted:

The 710 only uses 19W by itself if you check the spec sheet. The 300W PSU recommendation is so people don't push their lovely redlined OEM PSUs over the edge, but if you do the math and determine that you have that much headroom plus a little extra to account for component age then you should be fine.

e:f,b

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Ah, that's a lower draw than I thought. I'll see if I can get hold of one of those to try, cheers

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

.jpg posted:

It's for psychophysics labs. We don't need a lot of graphical power (it's typically simple static 2D and gets page-flipped), but for some experiments a high refresh rate is important. There are issues with TFTs in general for this, but that's why I'm investigating the feasibility of it.

The low spec of the system is just standard current lab PCs we have... don't have enough cash to buy new PCs for every lab at the moment.

What's the CPU? Today's integrated graphics are actually better than a GT 710.

e: oh, I missed the part about the 144Hz, I guess integrated graphics wouldn't cut it there.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 21, 2016

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
So I got a cheap 5770 to upgrade a friends old core2duo rig as her nvidia 610 (!) wasn't strong enough for stardew valley on one screen and netflix on the other.

I'm hoping to use its dvi port for her 2 hdmi monitors and use the display port to run a tv in her room.

Will any old mini displayport >hdmi adaptor do? I've seen some that are around £5 which matches her extremely tight budget.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

http://www.hardwareunboxed.com/gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-in-6-year-old-amd-and-intel-computers/

That's... not what I expected. AMD are still behind in CPU overhead even with Vulkan? :confused:

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Captain Hair posted:

So I got a cheap 5770 to upgrade a friends old core2duo rig as her nvidia 610 (!) wasn't strong enough for stardew valley on one screen and netflix on the other.

I'm hoping to use its dvi port for her 2 hdmi monitors and use the display port to run a tv in her room.

Will any old mini displayport >hdmi adaptor do? I've seen some that are around £5 which matches her extremely tight budget.

Any adapter should be fine. The 5770 doesn't have an HDMI port already?

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Hi I got raped in the butt by Nvidia last gen by buying a 960 thinking it would be good like the 560ti was. Still a bit salty, now I'm interested in blowing my hard earned money on the RX480 together with the cheapest 24 inch freesync monitor I can find, but the latest reviews have made me hesitate a bit. What do you recommend me to do?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Wait a little bit for aftermarket 480, get it and freesync monitor and enjoy a combo NV doesn't really have an answer for. Also learn to love total warhams.

repiv posted:

http://www.hardwareunboxed.com/gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-in-6-year-old-amd-and-intel-computers/

That's... not what I expected. AMD are still behind in CPU overhead even with Vulkan? :confused:

Looks to me like the NV card is seeing some overhead reduction giving them a boost that tapers off on less powerful CPUs, while AMD is getting that but also benefitting from more work dispatched at once that takes more CPU to do. Weird results but that would at least fit.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Otakufag posted:

Hi I got raped in the butt by Nvidia last gen by buying a 960 thinking it would be good like the 560ti was. Still a bit salty, now I'm interested in blowing my hard earned money on the RX480 together with the cheapest 24 inch freesync monitor I can find, but the latest reviews have made me hesitate a bit. What do you recommend me to do?

There are a lot of people in the same boat - wait for a few weeks until the custom cooled 480s are available. They're being announced already, but actual availability will take a little while. XFX, Gigabyte, Asus, PowerColor.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 21, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Naffer posted:

Any adapter should be fine. The 5770 doesn't have an HDMI port already?

I think he means that it has DVI, DP and HDMI and he plans to use the DVI and HDMI for 2 HDMI monitors already, so he's wondering if he can turn the DP into a third HDMI for the TV.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

There are a lot of people in the same boat - wait for a few weeks until the custom cooled 480s are available. They're being announced already, but actual availability will take a little while. XFX, Gigabyte, Asus, PowerColor.

So is this going to be one of those "you need to be up at 3 am when they get listed and pray you snipe one" sort of launch or will there be actual stock whenever these actually release?

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Just a heads up. They will probably ship it from a "partner" (newegg, pcoutlet, etc) and the discounts are a bit deceptive (appear larger than they actually are) if you actually check the prices at "partner" sites. Also if a "partner" doesn't have it in stock you might have your order canceled a week later (happened to me) with the money in my checking account still being tied up.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I'm hoping the 1060 will help alleviate demand but probably not.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Otakufag posted:

As others have said, get a custom cooled one once they come out, the reference blower is truly terrible on the 480. Also be more discerning on the monitor purchase, you will be stuck with a TN panel for freesync+24" so you want to get the best TN you can find, the difference between a bad TN panel and a good one is vast and if you get a bad one you will regret it.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

repiv posted:

Interesting article in general though, good thing for people to read with processors from that era. I'm not sure what's confusing though, it looks like the 480 benefits greatly across the board (as does the 1060 for the most part). The 1060 is clearly a better card... than a reference 480 anyway. If a 1400 mhz (dare I hope 1500 mhz) 480's actually come around then that situation will change.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

ddogflex posted:

Good deal if you're going to replace the cooler, or I guess just not overclock at all.

I would just snag one of the Gigabyte windforce $399's if it were me.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I'm not sure what's confusing though, it looks like the 480 benefits greatly across the board (as does the 1060 for the most part).

It's confusing because Vulkan was supposed to level the playing field in terms of driver CPU overhead, but evidently it's not.

The 1060 is almost completely indifferent to CPU performance but the 480 is heavily bottlenecked by the slower chips, to the point that its 20fps lead on the 6700k turns into a 20fps deficit on the i5 750.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.computerbase.de/2016-07/asus-radeon-rx-480-strix-test/2/#abschnitt_benchmarks_in_full_hd

Review of the ASUS 480 STRIX. Obviously it's in German, but the benches don't need to be translated. tl;dr: pretty much on par with the 980/1060.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Gonkish posted:

https://www.computerbase.de/2016-07/asus-radeon-rx-480-strix-test/2/#abschnitt_benchmarks_in_full_hd

Review of the ASUS 480 STRIX. Obviously it's in German, but the benches don't need to be translated. tl;dr: pretty much on par with the 980/1060.

The sad truth is that for AMD to claw back a decent market share, on par with price and performance isn't good enough.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

Eletriarnation posted:

I think he means that it has DVI, DP and HDMI and he plans to use the DVI and HDMI for 2 HDMI monitors already, so he's wondering if he can turn the DP into a third HDMI for the TV.

Oh my bad, I had it all totally wrong!

It's got a hdmi port not mini display port, so that solves any problems and answers my question :) 1 hdmi for bedroom and a dual link dvi for the 2 monitors :) also a vga port but we won't be using that...

Edit: oh I think I've made a cock up. Dual link dvi does not mean 2 screens on 1 port, I guess she'll have to get a hdmi toggle box thing or something to alternate between tv and monitor or something. :(

Captain Hair fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 21, 2016

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm now really tempted to just go balls out and get a ~$450 1070 and not have to worry about upgrading my video card at 1080p for 4 years.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

spasticColon posted:

I'm now really tempted to just go balls out and get a ~$450 1070 and not have to worry about upgrading my video card at 1080p for 4 years.

Same here.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

The sad truth is that for AMD to claw back a decent market share, on par with price and performance isn't good enough.

They need to advertise the lack of gsync tax on freesync monitors. I believe it's a genuine benefit, and it will help the card to feel decent for much longer.

It also does have 2GiB more VRAM than the 1060, the value of which I admit is probably a little dubious, but the extra headroom is there, which may help in the long run (see my first point).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 21, 2016

sout
Apr 24, 2014

spasticColon posted:

Really want one of those 1440p 144hz *sync monitors some day but I think you're right, it's still gunna be neat to be able to run poo poo on 1080p on higher settings again.

I am finding it funny how we're clinging onto our definitions of high definition, it gets silly eventually.

e.g. HD is 720p, Full HD is 1080p, Quad HD is 1440p, 4K is sometimes Ultra HD.
16K could be what, Quad Ultra High Definition: Retribution? I hope we keep up this convention.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

sout posted:

Really want one of those 1440p 144hz *sync monitors some day but I think you're right, it's still gunna be neat to be able to run poo poo on 1080p on higher settings again.

I am finding it funny how we're clinging onto our definitions of high definition, it gets silly eventually.

e.g. HD is 720p, Full HD is 1080p, Quad HD is 1440p, 4K is sometimes Ultra HD.
16K could be what, Quad Ultra High Definition: Retribution? I hope we keep up this convention.

"Super Happy Ultra Fun-time HD Family" for 32K?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Real-D

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I would have been fine if we had kept up with p notation, but nooooooooo, 2160p just doesn't sound as good as <BRAWNDO>4K</BRAWNDO>.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

sout posted:

4K is sometimes Ultra HD.

Technically speaking, 4K refers to a DCI standard, 4096×2160. Ultra HD refers to the home version, 3840×2160, but of course, in reality, 4K is almost always meant to mean 3840×2160.
Also, a few years before 4K/Ultra HD was popular, Ultra HD referred (as far as I recall) solely to 7680×4320.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
You would think at some point the pixels would be so tightly packed together the human eye wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I would have been fine if we had kept up with p notation, but nooooooooo, 2160p just doesn't sound as good as <BRAWNDO>4K</BRAWNDO>.

They should go even further and conflate refresh rate with resolution. Forget 1440p@144 Hz, now we're talking 506 Mpps :unsmigghh:

e: (this makes about as much sense as talking about GFlops when comparing GPUs, btw)