Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nah, Rangers are more there as the average guy. All his weapons tend to be decent reload times but they won't wow you with relative DPS or flashy effects when compared to the other classes. He's there, he's consistent and his loadouts reflect that.

Big rockets are more a Fencer + Air Raider guidance laser thing. Or an Air Raider Call For Support thing.

Polo-Rican posted:

All of the classes are great; here's the official tier list, ranking the classes from Best (most fun) to Worst (least fun):

Ranger / Air Raider / Fencer: A+ (tie)
Wing Diver: A

As a Wing Diver you're automatically the person pulling everyone's bacon out of the fire. If you're standing from a distance attempting to snipe, you're not playing Wing Diver Right. :colbert:

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

Does anyone actually play air raider?

I already played tons of Ranger and Wing Diver in the Vita games, so I'm trying to stick with the new hotness. I did get stuck on an early mission with tons of Hectors in close quarters, but replaying the first mission on Hard got me a railgun tank that eats Hectors for breakfast.

Are there any sweet pro strats for Fencer besides the dash-canceling with shields?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Polo-Rican posted:

All of the classes are great; here's the official tier list, ranking the classes from Best (most fun) to Worst (least fun):

I was about to dissagree with you but i'm posting this as my team mates finish a mission without me because I flew up into an otherwise inaccessable tunnel then died.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wing Divers give you the pleasure of shoving a Rapier up a dropship's birthing hole.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SelenicMartian posted:

Wing Divers give you the pleasure of shoving a Rapier up a dropship's birthing hole.
Yeah, fighting dropships with long range weapons is a rookie mistake.

Edit: EDF has the best feeling jetpack physics of any game ever and it's been pretty much this good since 2, even though it only ran at 15fps at the time.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 21, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Polo-Rican posted:

The class that can freely summon driveable tanks and mechs? The one that can place turrets that automatically disintegrate entire waves of ants? The one that can literally call for a nuke to be dropped? Nope, no reason to play as that class

i believe you are undervaluing the power of loving FLYING and i call for an immediate recount of all classes to A+

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The best part of wing divers is getting stuck inside drop ships and walking fortresses because you were blasting their weak points up close while they were closing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Renegret posted:

The best part of wing divers is getting stuck inside drop ships and walking fortresses because you were blasting their weak points up close while they were closing.

you're just being efficient because

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Coolguye posted:

you're just being efficient because

If you're playing the first mission where you encounter a walking quadruped fortress, you can actually softlock the game (if you're playing solo) because the fortress can't be killed, and won't open again until the stuff on the ground is killed.

ASK ME HOW I KNOW

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Coolguye posted:

i believe you are undervaluing the power of loving FLYING and i call for an immediate recount of all classes to A+

But the best class that has access to flying is already in that tier??

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Samurai Sanders posted:

I loving love the tortoise series. Anyway, you probably should keep at least one non-explosive weapon equipped at all times.
I'll bring my anime decoys.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The decoys sure disappointed me. They are not inherently any more attractive to enemies than an actual player, only even the strongest ones are vastly more fragile.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 21, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

they are for bathing the battlefield in waifus

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, fighting dropships with long range weapons is a rookie mistake.

It is? So far I've been doing pretty well by just blooping them with the Fencer's 30mm cannon from far enough away that I don't have to deal with the stuff they spawn. :shobon:

Though then again, the game's kind if kicking my rear end whenever I try Fencer. The big cannon + a shield is nice against Hectors and other big stuff, but I've yet to find a good combination to deal with big old hordes of ants and spiders. A mortar plus the shotgun works decently, but even then I often get swarmed in a hurry.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sage Grimm posted:

Nah, Rangers are more there as the average guy. All his weapons tend to be decent reload times but they won't wow you with relative DPS or flashy effects when compared to the other classes. He's there, he's consistent and his loadouts reflect that.

Big rockets are more a Fencer + Air Raider guidance laser thing. Or an Air Raider Call For Support thing.

As a Wing Diver you're automatically the person pulling everyone's bacon out of the fire. If you're standing from a distance attempting to snipe, you're not playing Wing Diver Right. :colbert:
Rangers also drive vehicles that another class can call in. Go jack someone's ride.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The decoys sure disappointed me. All they are to the enemy AI is another player, not inherently any more attractive to enemies than an actual player, only even the strongest ones are vastly more fragile.
They killed the animes! EDF! EDF!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Though then again, the game's kind if kicking my rear end whenever I try Fencer. The big cannon + a shield is nice against Hectors and other big stuff, but I've yet to find a good combination to deal with big old hordes of ants and spiders. A mortar plus the shotgun works decently, but even then I often get swarmed in a hurry.
the game kind of lies when it says fencers can equip 4 weapons, because 2 of those weapons basically must be a shield (to allow you to dash cancel) and something that lets you jump (because otherwise you will be defeated by a set of stairs)

once you're decent at dash cancelling you will never get swarmed, you move a lot faster than anything else in the game short of a wing diver

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Four jackhammers is a totally decent build for many stages.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Coolguye posted:

the game kind of lies when it says fencers can equip 4 weapons, because 2 of those weapons basically must be a shield (to allow you to dash cancel) and something that lets you jump (because otherwise you will be defeated by a set of stairs)

once you're decent at dash cancelling you will never get swarmed, you move a lot faster than anything else in the game short of a wing diver

Eh, I bring favorite melee + ion shield for zipping around and then 2 of some kind of dakka for the things I don't want to get close to. Usually the dakka can jump but if not it's no big deal usually.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The PC port is so good. The only thing dropping in my game are GIANT INSECTS. :smuggo:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Blattdorf posted:

The PC port is so good. The only thing dropping in my game are GIANT INSECTS. :smuggo:

I think you mean IN-SECTS.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ok, this just got very RAD all the sudden.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
So I finished Normal with a Ranger after about 20 hours. This game is bonkers. Maybe I'll get tired of it after 200 hours, who knows.

How do the mission packs compare to what's in the main campaign?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I can't speak for the first mission pack, but the second has some fantastic moments (how about a mission where you are constantly bombarded by your HQ?) as well as new sub-species of GIANT IN-SECTS. They are around the same difficulty or harder as the later missions of the campaign.

You will learn to hate green. And I guess the Retiarius all over again.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

How do you fly the choppers, anyway? I can't even get them off the ground.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
You see an air raider in your party dropping anime decoys and doing nothing else. What do you do?

Hawke
May 1, 2008
Give him a medal.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

How do you fly the choppers, anyway? I can't even get them off the ground.

They take quite a while to get enough lift to actually take off. Just keep holding whatever makes the rotor spin.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Obsurveyor posted:

They take quite a while to get enough lift to actually take off. Just keep holding whatever makes the rotor spin.

Aha. It's awkward as all hell to drive but these napalm cannons are loving brutal

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Does anyone have the gif of the helicopter with sentries on its blades flying around shooting at everything?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nope.webm:

https://fat.gfycat.com/LeadingCheerfulAmericanbadger.webm

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Got a monster-s from inferno stage 14 farming. Man, it takes down those big walker dudes in that stage in two shots. Makes me want to play wing diver more.

Also, the ranger tortoise rockets are god drat hilarious. I question their usefulness, but I am amused by their slowness. I can't help but feel that just going with a normal rocket weapon is better though.

dis astranagant posted:

Eh, I bring favorite melee + ion shield for zipping around and then 2 of some kind of dakka for the things I don't want to get close to. Usually the dakka can jump but if not it's no big deal usually.
Yeah, I'll second the melee + ion shield. For the other two slots I've been flexing a good bit. Often times I find myself bringing double gatling guns, and staggering their fire so that while one is still firing the other is reloading. Decent at holding back hordes, plus having both going can put on a good bit of close/mid range hurt on a single target. They also have a jump, which is nice.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Two hammers is a strategy for true fun havers. You can charge one while unleashing the other.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mr Phillby posted:

Two hammers is a strategy for true fun havers. You can charge one while unleashing the other.

You also get omnidirectional damage reduction of 80% with most hammers while charging your swing :sherman:

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
Man, every class is so fun. Trying to stick with air raider this time, since I played mostly ranger and wing diver on the PS4. I really love that single shot "attack whale" or whatever gunship shot that only needs to kill 4 ants to be recharged. If you're up against a horde of ants it is just non-stop death raining from the sky (especially once all those pesky buildings are out of the way).

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Blattdorf posted:

So I finished Normal with a Ranger after about 20 hours. This game is bonkers. Maybe I'll get tired of it after 200 hours, who knows.

How do the mission packs compare to what's in the main campaign?

Mission packs are good, they manage to make it crazier than the normal game

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
I have learned the power of Air Raiders and their Limp Bizkit guns.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Does anyone have the gif of the helicopter with sentries on its blades flying around shooting at everything?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The good thing about chopper inertia is that, at least in GDF, you could hover, walk out on the wing, fire you hand weapons and then go back in.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

oh my god the Bazelart is absolutely shredding all these red ants

vehicles are so good now and I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Speaking as somebody who doesn't know much about vehicles, what are the good vehicles? Which ones should I be trying out and/or focusing on?