Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

From what I heard the endgame in Stellaris is cool, albeit a bit repetitive. The galaxy gets invaded by different things (other dimension aliens, weird zerg aliens from another galaxy, or an AI uprising) depending on what has been researched up until a certain point. Considering Civ already has set-in-stone victory conditions and this new Civ is gonna treat the AI players less like real players and more like actors to make your game more interesting, I'd like to see a random pool of runaway AI behaviours to mix the endgame up a little. Like sometimes a big Civ in the lategame will get a bunch of bonuses dumped on their lap and kicks off a big world war, that you have to get involved in even if you're turtling up for a space victory or whatever. Stuff to counteract the late game slowing down, and give people more of an excuse to use all the late game units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Red Bones posted:

From what I heard the endgame in Stellaris is cool, albeit a bit repetitive. The galaxy gets invaded by different things (other dimension aliens, weird zerg aliens from another galaxy, or an AI uprising) depending on what has been researched up until a certain point. Considering Civ already has set-in-stone victory conditions and this new Civ is gonna treat the AI players less like real players and more like actors to make your game more interesting, I'd like to see a random pool of runaway AI behaviours to mix the endgame up a little. Like sometimes a big Civ in the lategame will get a bunch of bonuses dumped on their lap and kicks off a big world war, that you have to get involved in even if you're turtling up for a space victory or whatever. Stuff to counteract the late game slowing down, and give people more of an excuse to use all the late game units.

That might be alright as an option or mutator or whatever, but I don't think I'd personally appreciate it in the base game. I don't play Civ with AIs to have my thousands of years of grinding them down into irrelevancy undone by an event giving them a whole heap of stuff :hist101:

Also, if you do want to play around with endgame units on a roughly even footing with other civs there IS the option to start the game in the modern or information age. I don't know if anyone ever uses it, but it's there.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

New Civ setting: An alien civilization clones history's most influential leaders, and puts them in charge of groups of people sharing a gene pool very similar to the cultures these personalities lead, and dumps them on an earth-like planet with some tools and the knowledge of agriculture. The immortal leaders bicker and fight with each other, until one of them launches the Apollo mission, where they find out that they are being monitored by the aliens. Now they have to become united by any means necessary and overthrow their captors.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I looked carefully at the the First Look video this screenshot came from, and I strongly suspect that (at least some of) the footage is older than May of this year:

- Most of the people are wearing long-sleeved shirts or hoodies. I haven't researched historical temperatures, but it looks more like Maryland winter clothes than late spring. (Yes, a few are in short-sleeves, but some people wear short-sleeves all year round.)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It seems as though Firaxis are using the same colour schemes for Civs as they did in Civ V, except for Egypt which for some reason they have reversed (it's now Purple/Gold, like Rome's Civ V colours). Quite why they did this, I don't know. Why might it be relevant? Because Rome would now need a new colour scheme, and I can't see them using Egypt's Yellow/Purple. If I had to guess they would probably use Red/Gold, as those were the colours used on Roman Vexillums (military standards/banners). Who used Red/Gold in Civ V? Persia.

This makes me wonder whether perhaps that colour scheme was no longer being used in VI, allowing Rome to claim it. If those colours weren't being used then perhaps Persia is not in the base game, meaning C5 cannot be a Persian leader.

*reclines back in chair, puffs pipe*

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Thanks for bringing that back up, because I swear I've seen the distinctive form of the wide conical woolly hat like the one I think I see in that picture and now it's going to bother me all night again that I can't remember where.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Montezuma!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw79o14yj6E

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Early access :suicide:

"Pre-order for the Aztec Civilization Pack"

quote:

Starting today, those who pre-order Civilization VI will exclusively gain early access* to the Aztec civ, led by Montezuma I, when the game launches on October 21, 2016. After 90 days, this content will unlock for all Civilization VI players at no additional charge.

Montezuma I, born in 1398, was the fifth king of the city of Tenochtitlan and second emperor of the Aztecs. His 29-year reign was categorized by a major consolidation and expansion of the Aztec Empire, also known as the Triple Alliance, as well as enacting a new series of sumptuary laws – which aim to curb rampant consumption of goods and decadent lifestyles – that reinforced an already existing class system permeating every facet of Aztec life.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Okay, that looks really cool. Build early warriors, go out and kill things, then use your captured slaves to help your civ expand!

I mean, it's kind of grim how you work the slaves to death in the process, but I guess that's limited worker charges for you. :v:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Monty looks like Shaggy

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Considering that the industry standard is "pre-order or you have to pay for it later", this seems pretty reasonable.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Can't watch the video right now, someone sum up his Uniques?

Also post a screenshot of him (and Qin too, for that matter)?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Monty looks like Shaggy

I was just fine with the other leader models shown so far, but I will definitely miss Civ 5 Monty. He looked absolutely mental!

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Rexides posted:

I was just fine with the other leader models shown so far, but I will definitely miss Civ 5 Monty. He looked absolutely mental!

Yeah, Monty definitely had the coolest leader screen in Civ5. I like this design too, but it loses something without the dramatic shadows and frenzied mob.

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 21, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Senerio posted:

Unique Ability: Extra Happiness (Amenities) from luxuries, bonus to military unit power from luxuries.

Unique Building: happiness/faith thing in entertainment districts

Leader abilities: Early game unit that turns any defeated unit into a worker. Workers can rush districts.

Edit: The general theme being that you support early growth through captured slave-workers and support mid or late-game conquest through bonus happiness.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 21, 2016

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Senerio posted:

• Luxuries give amenities (happiness) to extra cities (not sure what that means)
  • Each luxury gives +2 combat bonus to all units
  • Unique building: the Aztec ball game court thing, whatever it's called, which goes in the entertainment district (gives more amenities, faith and Great General points)
  • Unique unit: Eagle warrior - enslaves defeated enemy units
  • Builders can rush district construction

Here's Qin:

I'll stick all this in the OP later.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

sarmhan posted:

Considering that the industry standard is "pre-order or you have to pay for it later", this seems pretty reasonable.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it was a compromise with the publisher.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I love these cartoony-rear end graphics.

Thank you very much!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Huh, that's +2 flat combat per luxury, that can scale into a nasty combat edge in the early-mid game, especially if you can pull off some good diplomacy.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I actually really like Monte's model, despite my ragging on some of the other ones. I love the way the art looks for the landscape but it's a bit hit or miss for me on the leaders.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Early access :suicide:

"Pre-order for the Aztec Civilization Pack"

im 100% fine with this and monty is the best looking leader so far as well

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I always enjoy Civ's euphemisms for slavery. "You can turn defeated enemies into builder units" is almost as good as Civ III's "Rushing a building will decrease your population as unhappy citizens leave your city"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I always enjoy Civ's euphemisms for slavery. "You can turn defeated enemies into builder units" is almost as good as Civ III's "Rushing a building will decrease your population as unhappy citizens leave your city"

Brings to mind Call to Power. When you switched to Fascism, every city would lose two points of population as certain elements of society were... dealt with, by the new regime.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

Huh, that's +2 flat combat per luxury, that can scale into a nasty combat edge in the early-mid game, especially if you can pull off some good diplomacy.

I think its only a +1 per luxury. At the beginning of the video, it shows a unit with a +1 bonus from luxuries, and then a +2 bonus after the Builder improves the second luxury. Also keep in mind that unit combat numbers seem to be significantly higher in Civ VI - the Eagle Warrior shown there has a base strength of 28. So +1 or +2 to that is nice, but not particularly huge.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Wasn't it pretty explicit in Civ4, with the slavery civic being straight up described as "sacrifice some population for a production boost"?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cythereal posted:

Brings to mind Call to Power. When you switched to Fascism, every city would lose two points of population as certain elements of society were... dealt with, by the new regime.

Civ III expansions did that too, although it also used the "unhappy people fleeing" excuse

Kassad posted:

Wasn't it pretty explicit in Civ4, with the slavery civic being straight up described as "sacrifice some population for a production boost"?

Yeah Civ 4 explicitly had slavery as a civic to sacrifice population for production

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
For someone who played it, what's the general consensus on Call to Power? I remember a friend playing it ages ago when we where kids, but I personally skipped it. Ie compare it to 2/alpha/3/etc?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Serephina posted:

For someone who played it, what's the general consensus on Call to Power? I remember a friend playing it ages ago when we where kids, but I personally skipped it. Ie compare it to 2/alpha/3/etc?

Call to Power is a weird little game - something on the order of Civ 2.5, and it plays with a lot of interesting concepts and systems that haven't shown up anywhere else in the series. One of the big divergences from the normal pattern is that it goes well past the information age like other games in the franchise and goes straight on into sci-fi territory with space cities, underwater cities, orbital drops, etc.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
So technically the first time the Aztecs aren't included in the vanilla release, although given they're free for all owners (if on a 90-day delay for first day purchasers) it's more of a semantic difference. Civ V had Babylon as a pre-order bonus (that was paid DLC afterwards) and Mongolia (free DLC without a time lockout - but a month after release).

And for another observation, Montezuma I is the first revealed leader to be returning from Civ V (though obviously Gandhi's coming).

Kassad posted:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Cythereal posted:

:stare:

Incidentally, I remember a poster in an old thread (possibly one of the early Civ 5 threads) pointing out that there might be a rather sinister reason why the population of a captured city halves upon its conquest: some early empires had a nasty habit of executing all the men in the occupied city :stare:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blackshirts were a unique unit available to fascist governments in that game, too. :v:

IIRC there were a few others. Fundamentalist governments could create missionaries and their modern era upgrade, the televangelist. Ecotopia governments (radical left-wing ultra-environmentalism, it was the 90s) could get eco-terrorists and this little gem.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Serephina posted:

I liked it then, but I'm pretty sure it was crap.

What was great about it though was that they denied themselves nothing. Every single idea they put up on the whiteboard went into the game. It was a glorious mess.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So does slavery just mean human sacrifice?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jay Rust posted:

So does slavery just mean human sacrifice?

Well, human sacrifice doesn't help you build farms and roads, does it? It's pretty much just working people to death, AKA slavery.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well sure it does, if you offer them to the gods of farms and roads.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
However, while talking about Call to Power, the game also had some pretty neat ideas that I'd love to see reused. Once you got to settling underwater cities, you could build undersea tunnels to let non-sea units travel underwater without needing a transport unit and at great speed - they'd even link up directly with magrails on land. However, if you pillaged a tunnel it would flood the network destroying all tunnels not part of a city and drowning any land units caught in the tunnels.

Call to Power also had the best tile improvement system I've ever seen in a Civilization game: it's managed empire-wide. You have cities produce Public Works, which is added to a global Public Works pool which you then spend to construct tile improvements anywhere in your empire. You could settle a new city and keep it producing units or buildings while a city back in the core of the empire builds public works to establish all the infrastructure around the new city.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

These Aztecs look fun as hell and also possibly the worst early neighbor to have in the history of the franchise. Monty basically gets a bonus for not producing builders. Every eagle warrior who kills one of your units transfers directly to a gigantic, murder generating city right next to you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rexides posted:

I was just thinking while it's a nice design, you're going to be incredibly hard pressed to beat 5's "Insane man with crazy eyes standing behind a huge fire."

Like I want civ 5 monty in every game because he looks legit amazing.

I also miss his gigantic hat.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 21, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm really digging how smoothly integrated all the civ's uniques seem to be. You get 5 separate things and they all work together fluidly to make an almost wholly unique method of play. At least so far they do, it's possible we'll get another Indonesia at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I was just thinking while it's a nice design, you're going to be incredibly hard pressed to beat 5's "Insane man with crazy eyes standing behind a huge fire."

Like I want civ 5 monty in every game because he looks legit amazing.

I also miss his gigantic hat.

The shimmering flame effect as he crazily gazes over his fire thing is a complete FPS killer. In this sense Monty is the true worst enemy in Civ because that drat effect used to make my crappy laptop crash and or overheat.