Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I seem to recall this thread whining about the coaching on the radio?. I think the radio ban is a Good Thing, but I do think they should be allowed to put whatever they want on the pitboard. It's limited what they can practically put there anyway.

I never cared about coaching. At the end of the day all the coaching in the world isn't going to make the driver any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"here's how to drive the car, nico" is bad and should be banned, but not at the cost of forcing teams to sit on their hands while the brakes slowly melt away

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Tsaedje posted:

I just love that the FIA think the steering wheels are too complicated and their solution is to... ban radio communications

And now electronic kerb monitoring!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

"here's how to drive the car, nico" is bad and should be banned, but not at the cost of forcing teams to sit on their hands while the brakes slowly melt away

This is where I disagree, its either all or nothing in my book. Maybe if they didn't design a milimeter sized hole for brake cooling they wouldn't melt.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Human Grand Prix posted:

F1 is about cars going fast.
You're thinking of Le Mans. F1 is about Bernie making money.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Ross Brawn is probably saving himself to replace Bernie when the unthinkable happens

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

George Zimmer posted:

They should ban everything and have the sport exist metaphorically.

But what really even is Formula 1?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

GramCracker posted:

But what really even is Formula 1?

A miserable little pile of stolen photocopied secrets

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Adjustable differentials are dumb. 3 knobs to adjust the differential is even dumber.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Adjustable differentials are dumb. 3 knobs to adjust the differential is even dumber.

I find it really bizarre that this is still allowed since its basically a form of traction control.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I seem to recall this thread whining about the coaching on the radio?. I think the radio ban is a Good Thing, but I do think they should be allowed to put whatever they want on the pitboard. It's limited what they can practically put there anyway.

I'm good with this. Figure out how to put whatever you need on the pit board. All this radio communication is just being lazy and privileged.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

wicka posted:

"here's how to drive the car, nico" is bad and should be banned

Yet, it's Hamilton who's been suffering most from the radio ban...

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
lol

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/new-electronic-track-policing-leaves-drivers-at-odds-800800/

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Make it the same as telemetry. One way radio from car to pits as much as the driver wants to (except for critical safety messages - safety car etc). All other communication from pits to car is via the pit board.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

El Hefe posted:

They should ban steering wheels instead

This is really the best post/avatar combo.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Am I the only one who enjoyed listening to all the technical poo poo on the radio? All the back and forth was pretty neat I thought.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yet, it's Hamilton who's been suffering most from the radio ban...

Nico would have been pretty hosed had they not broke the rule.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Apparently Esteban Gutierrez (or someone at Haas) is a big Warren Zevon fan:

https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/756105712984547328

(For context, watch this part of an interview Zevon gave to David Letterman after he got diagnosed with terminal cancer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Mirkd3CT4)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Gutierrez has been suffering from some horrible south American superbug for months now, I suspect piss taking is afoot.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Lou Takki posted:

Am I the only one who enjoyed listening to all the technical poo poo on the radio? All the back and forth was pretty neat I thought.

I, too, enjoy hearing Super Seb set his mode to HBB2. It really makes me feel like I'm in the cockpit alongside him.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Lou Takki posted:

I enjoy when Johnny Herbert has to shut up so we can hear it.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

If only NBCSN would do some intelligent audio mixing and turn down the ambient track sound when they decide to broadcast radio transmissions you might actually be able to make out what is being said.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

El Hefe posted:

A miserable little pile of stolen photocopied secrets

:allears: thanks for this

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Vettel, asked for his view on the radio regulations in light of Nico Rosberg’s penalty after the British Grand Prix Vettel described them as “complete bullshit”.

“I think all the radio issues that we had I think is a joke,” he added.

You tell'em Seb!

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
in that case im all for them

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Bbc reporting Nico has a new 2 year contract. What does lauda have on the merc bosses? gently caress sake. I was hoping for an exciting silly season and everyone is going to stay in place.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nico is getting shirty with Ted

oh god

"I'm hungry in hungry" N Rosberg

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
Mornin' people! personal note: Budapest is probably the most beautiful city I've seen in my life.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
ugh. Boring McDull

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Not seen the yellow kerbs yet but the red and white bone shakers are everywhere.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
Literally everywhere, aren't they all more or less exactly the same wherever you go? (for red and whites)

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I guess none of you donated to the Save Rio Haryanto Fund? Shame.

Ted claims it might be his last race.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The same old poo poo really gets boring. HURR DURR, THE GRIP WILL BUILD MORE AND MORE AS THE SUPPORT RACES LAY DOWN MORE RUBBER. Di resta says as if it's unique to this track.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Car killing kerbs are there! Only they have been painted a dark orange/red this time and are hiding on a few corners.

I for one approve of camouflaging kerbs which will rip your front wing off.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Jesus christ. How does a man who keeps using the word "winningist" and then acts like the word "victorious" is new to him have a loving job in broadcasting.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
Crofty is the winningest. Also the BEST.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
Poor crofty, shopping for clothes in budapest sucks unless you don't mind brands like H&M

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

itsjustdrew posted:

Poor crofty, shopping for clothes in budapest sucks unless you don't mind brands like H&M

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
LEH CLAIRE kinda sucks, didn't he spin in silverstone too? lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
New track has no grip. Seen at least 6 cars slide or spin for no reason. Not going to judge the lad when even Nando is losing the back end.

• Locked thread