Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
crap wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

One way to find out

(It's Yukako, she's perfect in every way)

I figure the best way to finish Diamond is Unbreakable is with the anime and then to start reading from Part 5 when it ends!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

crap wrong thread

That was close!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

While you should Read The Manga, if everyone Read The Manga we'd have no speculation posts. So by not Reading the Manga, you are enacting a sacrifice for the good of the manga-readers in the thread.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CuddlyZombie posted:

While you should Read The Manga, if everyone Read The Manga we'd have no speculation posts. So by not Reading the Manga, you are enacting a sacrifice for the good of the manga-readers in the thread.

That is a nice way to think about it!

I'm assuming it's not a figure of speech in Japan but the dub or VIZ translation had better say "Diamonds form under pressure" as opposed to "Call me Josuke Higashikata the man who deflects pressure" in the rat episode.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

OTOH, we could all participate in some excellent JoJolion speculation instead of something that has answers ready and waiting.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"Join us in the manga thread"

"No we like it down here"

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I love Kakyoin.

But Polnareff is much better.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Kakyoin sucks

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
On seconds thoughts, let's not go to the manga thread, 'tis a silly place

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I figure the best way to finish Diamond is Unbreakable is with the anime and then to start reading from Part 5 when it ends!

That was close!

I strongly recommend you take a few months break between Parts 4 and 5, and if not then between Parts 5 and 6.

A break somewhere in there is probably a good idea.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

I strongly recommend you take a few months break between Parts 4 and 5, and if not then between Parts 5 and 6.

A break somewhere in there is probably a good idea.

I usually do with these kinds of things, like taking breaks between seasons of a show. I find you get burnt out otherwise and don't give big plot developments or twists time to sink in before you've hit three or four more major story moments. That's why I'm taking my time and only watching DiU.

e: Also unless I missed one in the vide compilations, concerning lack of Bowie references in the first four parts so far.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 21, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Witches float, right? And so does manga. Which means....witches must be made out of manga! We'll read her to see if she's a witch!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is already too recursive for me, I can't understand what the gently caress is going on.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The main villain of Part 4 should be introduced real soon, even if there's still a few more story arcs to go before the villain really gets things done.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

At first I thought Part 4 was lacking a main villain because I was coming off three parts with clearly defined antagonists from the get go. Now though, I don't mind if the baddie doesn't show up until near the end at this point though because it feels like it's more about those kind of halcyon days you spend with friends and less about the overarching plot. I love all those little moments we've had so far about some looming menace, but in the meantime I'm enjoying each episode reminding me of being a kid and swapping stories with friends. The kinds of stories about things like a haunted graveyard or the student who jumped out a window after meeting the Devil, although in JoJo's case it's usually the work of an enemy Stand!

https://twitter.com/animemoms/status/718490783549001728

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EmmyOk posted:

I love all those little moments we've had so far about some looming menace, but in the meantime I'm enjoying each episode reminding me of being a kid and swapping stories with friends. The kinds of stories about things like a haunted graveyard or the student who jumped out a window after meeting the Devil, although in JoJo's case it's usually the work of an enemy Stand!

This actually brings up something I noticed. While a lot of the story arcs in part 3 are recognizably based on horror movies, part 4 seems to take a lot more inspiration from urban legends.

There could easily be an episode where Koichi naively picks up a murderous hitchhiker, or where Koichi goes on a date only to be attacked by a man with a hookhand, or where Koichi's camping trip is interupted by the Mothman, and it wouldn't be at all out of place.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 22, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

This actually brings up something I noticed. While a lot of the story arcs in part 3 are recognizably based on horror movies, part 4 seems to take a lot more inspiration from urban legends.

There could easily be an episode where Koichi naively picks up a murderous hitchhiker, or where Koichi goes on a date only to be attacked by a man with a hookhand, or where Koichi's camping trip is interupted by the Mothman, and it wouldn't be at all out of place.

stop spoiling, manga reader

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Schwarzwald posted:

I like how all of these examples happen to Koichi.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The first volume of JoJo is actually pretty great to reread because it's no longer an effort to rush through to get to the "good stuff". There's plenty of small scenes that the anime understandably cut but which add plenty to the story and development of characters. Also you really get an even better sense of how devoted Dio was to being an absolute poo poo, also it featured by far his best outfit.

I think tomorrow calls for a smoke and read of the remaining volumes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

alcharagia posted:

I like how all of these examples happen to Koichi.

Koichi has the best scream

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I can't wait for the arc where Yukako, the Mothman, the Jersey Devil, and Shia LaBoeuf all battle each other to earn the right to marry Koichi and the ending changes to this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3YVJMzQhXE

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Koichi has a date with the most popular girl in school and the next day, he finds written on his mirror in lipstick:

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF 「2112」

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

EmmyOk posted:

The first volume of JoJo is actually pretty great to reread because it's no longer an effort to rush through to get to the "good stuff". There's plenty of small scenes that the anime understandably cut but which add plenty to the story and development of characters. Also you really get an even better sense of how devoted Dio was to being an absolute poo poo, also it featured by far his best outfit.

That's my favorite Dio scene, honestly. Him dressed in an outfit that makes it plain that he's well-to-do, and yet he's not happy. If anything, he's utterly miserable because his petty scheme to cheat a nice family out of their fortune isn't going well.

I think that's probably one of the best moments where you can really see what the guy is all about.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Guess what's coming to Toonami in October.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
hunterxhunter

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

*looking at japanese childrens cartoon* Started from the bottom now we here.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Already there.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Already there.

mob psycho 100?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

EmmyOk posted:

I told y'all, it's magnificent. My favorite bits especially are when Jonathan's and Dio's growth into adults is shown parallel as the story continues.

And the ridiculous feather cape, of course. :colbert:

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

*looking at japanese childrens cartoon* Started from the bottom now we here.

We did it, kids.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

no they will not posted:

mob psycho 100?

for real though I'm super hype about getting to watch jojo for the billionth time with a bunch of people

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
change thread name, jojo's normie adventure is upon us and none will be safe from the wrath of ben diskin

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Waffleman_ posted:

Guess what's coming to Toonami in October.

Kill la Kill?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Is Toonami even big for general audiences these days

If anything I wish more normies got to see good animes

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Raserys posted:

Is Toonami even big for general audiences these days

If anything I wish more normies got to see good animes

I've never understood the logic of "nooo now the normies will ruin it" because, first of all, we already have that clearly taken care of. :v:

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

we can't let the normies discover jojo or else the fandom will become oversaturated with memes

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Like, I would love to see HxH, OPM, and Jojo have the kind of influence on kids that DBZ and Naruto did

Can you imagine parents complaining about kids being obsessed with demonic punchghosts

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

daft punk railroad posted:

we can't let the normies discover jojo or else the fandom will become oversaturated with memes

"become"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

:thejoke:

• Locked thread