Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah pretty much, even nazis know not to give the nazi salute on television

You sure?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VT-Svum2s8A/Va-s2piW7bI/AAAAAAAAEdo/2UAaRevmfvc/s1600/2.jpg

(imgur is hosed, or I'd post that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
If she wasn't doing a nazi salute what in the hell was she doing? I've watched that video like 30 times and it's more damning every time. She locks it into place her face gets stern and serious and then she changes into a normal wave. Republicans appealing to neo nazis is pretty much the southern strategy all over again. It makes sense that they would target the "silent majority".

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Ailes stayin on as a 'consultant' can only mean one of two things.
Either theres a clause for a massive bonus they do not want him to get.
Or they want their lawyers to represent him in the charges.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I spent 5 minutes alone in my office doing a Nazi salute in the dark to see how you could possibly do one on accident when you meant to wave at an audience.

I'm no expert but your elbow locks in a certain way relative to your raised shoulder that's hard to do on accident.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Maybe they want him still running the show but need to get his gross rear end away from his harem of Cheryl Hines impersonators?

I have no real insight into it, but as soon as I heard that he was staying on as a consultant I stopped being excited about him getting booted.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LBr-AXWoYw

The Clevelander in this video made me proud.

Such a loving Cleveland reaction. "Are you an IDIOT?" Go the gently caress back home to Alabama, we don't want people like you around here" Half expected him to start a HERE WE GO BROWNIES, HERE WE GO, WOOF WOOF" chant in the video.

:allears:

Jesus Christ

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
lol Milo got banned from instragram. TCR Ghst is having a melt down. Also pissed off about TRAITOR TED!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

The was Dr. Laura not Laura Ingraham, easy to confuse the two:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Schlessinger#Usage_of_racial_epithet

Yeah, I always mix them up. You'd think the existence of two blond racist Republican women named Laura would conclusively disprove the efficient markets hypothesis.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

quote:

RUSH: Dolores in Columbus, great to have you. By the way, Dolores, after your call, we just got a new poll in from Ohio, Suffolk University, and we'll have details of that after you finish. What's up?

CALLER: Well, I have a little bit different take on the happenings of last night. Until last night I had almost persuaded myself that I could actually vote against Hillary Clinton by voting for Donald Trump, and I did not watch the convention last night. I haven't watched any of it. But our local station puts on a program reviewing it. So when that came on last night, they were talking about Cruz being booed and what a terrible performance he had.

So this morning I went online and watched it, and I thought it was an absolutely wonderful speech. I thought it was marvelous. I thought it was, you know, very patriotic and uplifting. However, I also, in... Toward the end of it heard the, "Endorse Trump! Endorse Trump!" and since Trump knew what he was gonna say, and knew that he was not gonna endorse him, I have to sort of think that maybe that was put up.

Over the last year, I have come to have a very low opinion of Donald Trump's character, and I think, you know, that was deliberately planned to make Cruz look foolish. And I'm sorry, I think Donald Trump is an insecure, arrogant, thin-skinned boy. And nothing that I've seen or heard in the last year has persuaded me anything about that that's what he is. I don't know what I'm gonna do now.
I cannot vote for Hillary Clinton. I didn't like her 25 years ago; I certainly don't like her now. But I don't know what to do. Right now, I don't know. I have a very low opinion of Trump.

RUSH: Dolores, I'm gonna tell you what you have to do. And it is not going to be easy for you, but it will be a patriotic thing. You've got to vote for Trump. Voting for anybody else... If there's a third-party option and you vote for that, you're voting for Hillary. No matter what. You may not even pull the lever for her, but if you don't vote Trump, you are voting for Hillary. You're helping Hillary Clinton. There's no other way, unless the third-party would happen to be Bernie Sanders or Fauxcahontas.

CALLER: That's even worse.

RUSH: But that's not gonna happen. The third-party candidates are gonna be people that would take votes, in large part, away from Trump. Now, I tell you: I think you have a point, however. I think... You know, Peter King, a congressman from New York out there on Long Island hates Cruz. He hates Cruz more than Mitch McConnell hates Cruz. He hates Cruz more than Boehner hates Cruz.

He hates Cruz more than Boehner and McConnell combined hate Cruz. And he's in the New York delegation. And if you're right, it would have been Peter King leading that chant: "Endorse Trump! Endorse Trump!" It probably was the New York delegation behind that. Now, your theory is that it was set up, that it was planned; that if Cruz didn't endorse, the New York delegation at some point in the speech was gonna launch into Cruz, disrupt him and so forth.

CALLER: That's right.

RUSH: Well, you may be right.

CALLER: It's Trump character. I'm sorry, he's the one that's presented himself the way he's presented himself.

RUSH: Yeah.

CALLER: I probably in the end will once again hold my nose and vote for a Republican, although I don't really think he's Republican. But, you know, I wrote our secretary of state and our State Department representatives asking for an option on the ballot, "None of the above" so that everybody who felt like me could vote for neither one of them, but they didn't respond.

RUSH: I know you want to vote your conscience. What is it that you don't like about Hillary Clinton? Why could you never vote for her?

CALLER: Well, you paid attention to her for the last 25 years. The woman's a creep. She's dishonest. She's --

RUSH: Corrupt.

CALLER: -- just awful.

RUSH: She's dishonest, she's corrupt, she's incompetent.

CALLER: Yep.

RUSH: She does think of herself as royalty.

CALLER: I know. I know.

RUSH: You're in a position that I don't know how many people are in, but you're not alone in your opinion of Trump and your dilemma here over what to do. But that's what it's always been for me. This whole campaign, to me -- and Newt said it, maybe. Was it Newt last night? If it wasn't Newt, it was somebody. It might have been Cruz. It might have been Cruz this morning the Texas delegation. It was either that or in his speech.

Cruz said just trying to defeat Hillary Clinton is not gonna be enough. You've gotta be voting for principle. You have to be voting for freedom. You have to be voting for things. I forget the exact riff. But it was either Newt or Cruz that made the point that the anti-Hillary motivation is simply not enough. Maybe it was Cruz's speech last night. Which, again, coming from Cruz is a... Well, that's another slap at Trump.

Because that's one of the primary reasons that people who have cold feet about Trump are nevertheless gonna vote for him is because, if anything, it's better than Hillary. But that's what it's always been for me. I mean, it's not even close. Now, I didn't want to fall into a trap this year of ever feeling like I couldn't vote 'cause my guy didn't win, and that then leads to my vote or non-vote eventually helping Hillary Clinton. That's unacceptable.

Because, folks, voting for Hillary is voting for Obama. It's voting for everything that's going on now continuing and being doubled down and tripled down. And it's just... Four more years of this stuff is not recoverable.
You know, Pence had a great line last night. "Hillary Clinton's secretary of the status quo." It's a great, great, great line. Pence's speech was fabulous last night. Pence was great last night. And Pence...

I'll tell you something: Pence's neighboring state? Indiana? Dolores, Pence ought to give you a little comfort level, because whoever Trump's vice president is is going to have a much bigger day-to-day role than vice presidents usually do. The New York Times had a story yesterday. Get this. New York Times had a story yesterday that Trump's son (Donald Trump Jr. or Eric, I forget which one) had approached Kasich and said (paraphrased), "Look, if you accept the VP position, you're gonna be running the show.

"You're gonna be in charge of domestic policy and you're gonna be in charge of foreign policy," and Kasich said, "Well, what the hell is Trump gonna do?" And his son said, "He's gonna be making America great again. But you're gonna be running domestic policy, and you're gonna be running foreign policy." That was the pitch to Kasich. Now, this is according to the New York Times. Now, if there's any truth to that? Well, the various elements of conservative media are already running with what their interpretation of that means.

And here is the consensus. By the way, New York Times, many in the establishment believe it. If it's in the New York Times, there's some truth to it or a lot of truth to it or total truth to it. It's just the way the establishment people look at their newspaper. And they are interpreting that story, the offer of domestic and foreign policy to Kasich, as a tantamount admission that all Trump wants is the pomp and circumstance.

He just wants to be called the big guy. He just wants to be president, but the day-to-day, he doesn't want that. This is just a mountain to climb. This is just a height to achieve. This is just another notch in the belt, but when it comes to actually -- this analysis, I forget where I read it, 'cause I read so much
, and I didn't print this out, but Kasich now is out saying he was never asked to be Trump's VP, so that kind of blows the New York Times story to smithereens.

Now, why would the New York Times run a story like that? So that certain conservative media could look at it and believe it and say, "See? See? Trump doesn't even want to be president. He just wants to win the election. He just wants to be the big guy. He just wants the ego thrill. He knows he doesn't know anything about foreign policy, and he knows he doesn't know anything about domestic policy. So he's just gonna put the vice president in there to run the show while Trump goes to the state dinners and the parties and so forth and that's it."

And that's what people are saying off of that New York Times story. Kasich is blowing it by saying he was never approached. Which is kind of strange. Kasich, if the Trump campaign came to him and said, "Look, if you accept VP you run the show," how's little John gonna turn that down? But he did, but he also says that he was never asked. New York Times Magazine, New York Times, New York Times Magazine, six of one half dozen or another.

The Suffolk University Ohio poll, when we get back from the break, but Dolores, since you didn't watch, go find Mike Pence's speech, and that'll comfort you to know that he's there if Trump wins, as vice president, believe me, it will help you.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2016/07/21/vote_trump_pence_to_stop_hillary
:freep: It is your patriotic duty to vote for Trump! Screw your sensibilities! Did you know that this LAMEstream newspaper I constantly lambaste reported that Trump just wants to be President and then delegate all actual executive functions to the Vice President! Preposterous! Now let me reassure you that if Trump is President that Pence could easily perform every function the President does competently...

quote:

RUSH: So I wonder if Ted Cruz is just kicking himself today, saying it would have been better if he'd have just plagiarized the Michelle Obama speech. ... One of the crucial things here that we have now learned about this is that Trump knew what Cruz was gonna say. Right? That story has been reported, that Cruz's speech was submitted. Cruz has said that the Trump people knew what he was gonna say. The Trump people say that they knew what Cruz was gonna say. And everybody involved let it happen.

So what is the end result of this? There are two overwhelming, inarguable results from this. Number one, we're gonna have a ratings bonanza tonight. And number two, we may be seeing the actual first threads of unity build behind Donald Trump because of this. And it could well be that Trump has pulled off a masterful move letting all this happen.

I think that the argument that he may have done that is sort of rubber-stamped by the fact that he walked in to that convention hall at the exact moment that he knew Cruz was gonna be unloaded on by the audience. He walked into that convention hall last night to his box at the exact moment that it was gonna become, it did become clear to everybody that Cruz was not gonna endorse.

Now, the key to all this is what has been reported, that everybody involved knew what Cruz was gonna say and thus everybody knew that Cruz was not gonna endorse. Now, I have warned everybody time and time again, you cannot judge, analyze, watch this convention through the regular political prism. In this case, what I mean by that is in a normal convention, that speech would never been allowed.

Ted Cruz, even if he had been invited to give that speech and had submitted that speech to the campaign, and the campaign had seen that speech and discovered that there wasn't gonna be an endorsement. And, in fact, not only was there not gonna be an endorsement, there was gonna be something maybe even worse, and that was an intimation from Ted Cruz that he might not vote for Donald Trump.

There is no other candidate that would allow that speech to be made. There's no other candidate that would allow that type of person, that situation, Cruz, to even appear at the convention. But Trump did. The Trump campaign -- and look, I'm basing all this, just to be clear again, on the fact that everybody's reporting that everybody knew what Cruz was gonna say, and they let it happen.
And I'm telling you, no way that happens at a George Bush convention, a Bill Clinton convention, a Hillary Clinton convention.

You think the Clintons are gonna allow Bernie Sanders to go up there and say something without knowing word-for-word what he was gonna say? It would never, ever happen. And if Bernie Sanders was gonna go out there and not endorse Hillary and be ambiguous about it, you think Hillary's gonna let him go out there? There is no way. They'll have Elizabeth Warren hijack him on the way to the convention hall and take him to a Burger King or something and keep him tied up for a couple hours so he can never get there.

It would never happen. But it did happen last night. So now you've got all these analysts trying to figure this out and proclaim the ultimate meaning, and the conventional wisdom is that Cruz is toast, he has just ended his career. Dr. Krauthammer said it perhaps in the most creative way. Dr. Krauthammer said: "It was the longest suicide note I have ever read." Is that not good? (laughing) The longest suicide note I've ever read.

Here's the point, again. Because of that last night, look at all the unity now that is starting to occur for Trump. Look at all the people, including some of the Never Trumpers now coming to Trump's defense. Maybe not coming to Trump's defense, they are unifying with Trump against Cruz. You have some Never Trumpers who are applauding Cruz, but it's a minimal number. He does have his supporters out there. And a lot of his supporters are in the Drive-By Media.
Those were not technical glitches. It was done on purpose. The Trump campaign knew. They were already in the process of distracting from Cruz. I mean, Cruz may not have known it, he was backwards to that giant screen, but it went black. It was flashing. It looked like it had DirecTV and there's a lightning storm. It gets pixelated for a while and then it went black. Then a portion of it was black.
They were hoping that Cruz would endorse. They wanted the mood to be set. They wanted the continued trend in the uplift direction -- which has been taking place all week -- to a giant crescendo tonight with Trump's speech. And they didn't get it. And it was their guy that made this happen. So they kept asking, and they kept asking, and finally Cruz cannot withhold the truth any longer. Paraphrasing, he said, "You really expect me to be a servile puppy dog to a man who insulted my wife and accused my dad of being part of the JFK assassination?"

And when Cruz said that -- when Cruz told the Texas delegation that he would not be servile, would not be a good puppy dog and support the guy who maligned his wife and father -- then in my mind, he kind of unwound everything else he had said the night before.
He just... Under the intense probing of the Texas delegation, he couldn't keep that in any longer, couldn't withhold it any longer.

That question from the Texas delegation lit the fuse that caused the explosion where Ted Cruz finally admitted what that speech last night was all about and why he's not gonna endorse Trump. "Because I don't care..." These are his words, paraphrased by me. "I don't care what the hell else is going on. I am not gonna compromise every drat principle I have and every belief I have and I'm not gonna look the other way at a guy who accused my dad of having something to do with the assassination of JFK.

"I'm not gonna look the other way and pretend it didn't happen to a guy who insulted my wife the way he did." And in doing so, some people applauded. Some people said, "Come on! You gotta put that stuff behind you. It's about beating Hillary now." And he said, "Nope. You can't put that kind of thing behind you, not and maintain your principles and so forth." I thought Cruz might have chosen the wrong occasion and the wrong time to make a stand on principle, but he did it. And here's his gamble.

His gamble is that Trump is gonna lose and that he is going to be viewed in a couple of years as Winston Churchill. You know, Churchill was thrown out of the British government. Nobody wanted to listen to what he had to say, about Hitler or any other number of threats prior to World War II. The Brits were getting complacent. They didn't want to go anywhere. They didn't want to be anywhere. World War I had worn them out. If the rest of the world wanted to burn itself down?

Fine. We're not joining the party.

Churchill said: We can't, because we're gonna be targeted.

They told him to go away, didn't want to hear it. They came back and made him the de facto leader of the war effort after that. Cruz, I'm sure, is banking on that. If Trump loses, that eventually somebody is gonna say, "The only guy... The only guy..." This is what he's hoping. "The only guy that stood up and told us the truth that we didn't want to hear was Ted Cruz." The problem is, Cruz is not Churchill in the sense that he doesn't start out with a lot of love and adoration in the party.

They already despise him for these government shutdowns and what he did to Mitch McConnell and so forth.
By the way, the concept of Cruz losing? You wouldn't believe some of what I read. I'm reading some conservative blogs who think that it's inevitable that if Trump wins, he's gonna be impeached, because he's so incompetent. It's gonna be so bad that, to save the country, we're gonna have to impeach the guy. This is also in an opinion piece on what Cruz did last night.

Now, if Trump wins and doesn't lose, that's the gamble that Cruz took with what he's doing, but he intended to do it. The Trump campaign knew he was going to do it; the Trump campaign let it happen. And again, two things: The party is now unifying behind Trump. Maybe not fully, but much more than they were doing so before Cruz spoke last night. You can't deny that. You might want to try, but you can't. And we're gonna have blockbuster eyeballs tuned in to watch this thing tonight. Even more than would have.
The ambush would be the New York delegation led by, we think, Peter King, shouting, "Endorse Trump, endorse Trump, endorse Trump," and booing Cruz off the stage. Look. They knew. Schieffer's right about this. They saw the speech, the vetted the speech, the Trump people did; they knew Cruz wasn't gonna endorse. And they let him go out there. And I need to repeat this, as I did at the top of the program. That's another way this convention is starkly different from others.

There is no way at 99.9% of these things, no way a second place finisher is allowed to go out there and get a prime time speaking slot unless he's gonna endorse the nominee. It just doesn't happen. It's too big a risk. George H. W. Bush in 1992 let Pat Buchanan go out there. Buchanan endorsed, but he also did that massive speech on the culture war. But to let this happen without an endorsement, they knew every word Cruz was gonna speak, and they let it happen.

And Trump just happens to enter the arena at the exact time the New York delegation is shouting, "Endorse Trump, endorse Trump," and the booing starts. Trump just happens to enter the hall, finding his seat at the moment where it becomes obvious to everyone that Cruz is not gonna endorse. That would be Machiavellian, to set that up and let it happen like that, an ambush, what have you. That's Bob Schieffer's theory, and he is sticking to it.
https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2016/07/21/trump_used_cruz_to_pull_off_unity
:bahgawd: THAT'S TRUMP'S MUSIC!!!!

For funsies, let's look back at some of Limbaugh's previous gushing endorsements of Ted Cruz

Rush Limbaugh, February 16, 2016 posted:

Where is all the conservatism? Is it on Fox News? Is it National Review? Is it over at the American Spectator? Where is it? It isn't in the Republican Party. That is for darn sure, and so many people are livid about that. I'm talking about the party establishment. Yes, Ted Cruz. Look, what more do you want me to say? Ted Cruz is the closest living thing to Ronald Reagan we're ever gonna have in our lifetimes. I don't know what more I can say about Ted Cruz.

I also like Marco Rubio, in comparison to other options and choices. People get mad at me for that. "He's not a conservative, amnesty, Gang of Eight Bill, the lying through his teeth." Folks, I know every objection you're gonna throw at me. I know it myself without having to be told. You know, I'm the last person you should think doesn't know something. If you're running around thinking, "He doesn't know," don't include me in that list of people doesn't know. I know everything about these guys -- good, bad, indifferent, ugly, pretty, what have you.

I don't say anything I say about anybody from an uninformed position, and there isn't anybody that's fooling me about anything. "Rush, Rubio's fooling you over amnesty." Rubio's not fooling me. Once you realize there's no perfection, then the view -- (interruption) What? Now, okay, see,
Snerdley thinks I have stepped in a huge pile of manure here by saying once you get past there's no perfection. He thinks that's the biggest step-in-it I've done all day, maybe all week. I'm talking about in a candidate. There isn't perfection in a candidate. There's no utopia, there's no perfection anywhere. That doesn't mean that you settle.

I'm just advocating an honest perspective on things. I can't come up with a reason to hate Marco Rubio like some people. I can't come up with a reason to dislike Rubio, just like I can't come up with a reason to hate Ted Cruz. People come at me, "You can't be serious what you said about Ted Cruz. Really?" And if I told you the kind of people saying it to me, you'd totally understand who they are. Ted Cruz scares a lot of people simply 'cause he mentions God. Ted Cruz scares a lot of people 'cause he looks to the heavens when he talks about God. That scares a lot of people.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2...an_option_folks
Amusing how the second coming of Reagan didn't make out of the primaries! gently caress it let's abandon our principled conservatism for this cheeto colored charlatan :laugh:
Really at the heart of the matter I think is that conservatives just want to stick it to the lefties after Obama dunking on them the past 7 years and don't give a gently caress how they get there. Whether or not Trump ushers in Neo-Fascism to America is inconsequential to them not feeling like losers over having lost fights on Healthcare, gay rights, two Presidential elections, looking like crazies for going nuts over Benghazi, the stupidity of the government shutdowns, playing chicken with the US's credit rating and countless other instances where they've straight up lost the fight and can't admit that maybe certain things aren't worth the energy spent to fight anymore.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

one of the primary reasons that people who have cold feet about Trump are nevertheless gonna vote for him is because, if anything, it's better than Hillary

Exhibit A on why the automated "no u" messaging machine that stokes breitbart boners these days isn't such a great tool for winning elections. That's just a cornucopia of things you do not want your own supporters thinking.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 22, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Exhibit A on why the automated "no u" messaging machine that stokes breitbart boners these days isn't such a great tool for winning elections.

I don't know what you are saying here

EDIT:

quote:

That's just a cornucopia of things you do not want your own supporters thinking.

Ok that cleared it up

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
HAHAHA, you guys, I just watched it again and she still totally did a Nazi salute.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm just marveling at how far down the "GOP messaging machine" has fallen. It used to be a set of lovely talking points massaged over by some of the smarter people in town and distributed to the hoi polloi so they could have one voice and have it presenting the best they could do, and everyone was on board. Now it's like some subreddit where the funniest zinger goes viral even when it hurts the parties electoral chances.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm just marveling at how far down the "GOP messaging machine" has fallen. It used to be a set of lovely talking points massaged over by some of the smarter people in town and distributed to the hoi polloi so they could have one voice and have it presenting the best they could do, and everyone was on board. Now it's like some subreddit where the funniest zinger goes viral even when it hurts the parties electoral chances.

The traditional GOP has always been 10 years behind on social media and technology and its reached the point where that void has now been taken over by the alt-right

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Levantine posted:

"man says"? wasn't there video? I can't really bring myself to watch videos of people being murdered anymore so I'm genuinely asking

He didn't die, they shot him in the leg.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

The officer is also facing an investigation from his own department

for poor marksmanship

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

And the police are defending it as an accidental shoot because they meant to protect him by shooting the severely autistic man next to him playing with a toy truck and yelling at people to shut up.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

HAHAHA she was like 'HEIL oh wait oh poo poo this is being televised'

I showed several people at work this. Everyone though it looked strange, one person said it looked robotic, one said it looked like a dance. Some people seemed unsure of how to react, and when I mentioned the possible Nazi salute to one person they remarked that you'd really have to be looking to find that. Only one person, after watching a few times, saw the Nazi salute in it.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Hey Facebook. What's this? You got some group suggestions for me?

"White Americans"?
"Ride to end genocide"? What kind.. Oh.

The gently caress is you thinking, Facebook???

PS.: Black guy here

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Macys posted:

HAHAHA she was like 'HEIL oh wait oh poo poo this is being televised'

Are people still having problems calling Trump a fascist?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rick_Hunter posted:

Hey Facebook. What's this? You got some group suggestions for me?

"White Americans"?
"Ride to end genocide"? What kind.. Oh.

The gently caress is you thinking, Facebook???

PS.: Black guy here

Facebooks recommendation metric is crazy hosed. Half of mine are for Trump fan pages.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

shadowvine118 posted:

I showed several people at work this. Everyone though it looked strange, one person said it looked robotic, one said it looked like a dance. Some people seemed unsure of how to react, and when I mentioned the possible Nazi salute to one person they remarked that you'd really have to be looking to find that. Only one person, after watching a few times, saw the Nazi salute in it.

That gif shows the pause, but it misses the larger context of her making this gesture not to Trump himself or any other person, but to a giant image of Trump on a screen before waving to the rest of the crowd.

So umm.. if she didn't mean to sig heil.. then does that mean she was intending to wave at an image of the candidate on a screen before waving to the actual crowd filled with real humans? Is that a thing people do?

The fact that we can't rule out whether or not she meant to sig heil is the most damning thing. She's a frothing racist. The convention has tweets from @vdare going up on the ticker. There's literal white supremacist delegates and white supremacists hanging out with delegates. Trump couldn't be sure about denouncing David Duke.

This is not a conversation we should be having about an RNC speaker. This should be like that image of Obama holding the sun in his hands. This should be a thing that really only matters to conspiracy theorists, but there's so much surrounding white nationalist smoke that we really have to wonder if there's actually a fire.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

ErIog posted:

That gif shows the pause, but it misses the larger context of her making this gesture not to Trump himself or any other person, but to a giant image of Trump on a screen before waving to the rest of the crowd.

So umm.. if she didn't mean to sig heil.. then does that mean she was intending to wave at an image of the candidate on a screen before waving to the actual crowd filled with real humans? Is that a thing people do?

The fact that we can't rule out whether or not she meant to sig heil is the most damning thing. She's a frothing racist. The convention has tweets from @vdare going up on the ticker. There's literal white supremacist delegates and white supremacists hanging out with delegates. Trump couldn't be sure about denouncing David Duke.

This is not a conversation we should be having about an RNC speaker. This should be like that image of Obama holding the sun in his hands. This should be a thing that really only matters to conspiracy theorists, but there's so much surrounding white nationalist smoke that we really have to wonder if there's actually a fire.

Yeah, I didn't give much context for the most part, I asked "What impression do you get from this?" And showed the gif. Some people asked what it was, but not everyone.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Why are people focusing on the "nazi salute" when there are so many other genuine, blatant examples of racism? This kind of thing weakens Democrats. You know how easy it is to find an image of Hillary or Obama making that gesture ?

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Yeah the nazi salute thing is a bit of a stretch to me. Politicians and public figures make gestures like that all the time without even thinking about it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

beatlegs posted:

Why are people focusing on the "nazi salute" when there are so many other genuine, blatant examples of racism? This kind of thing weakens Democrats. You know how easy it is to find an image of Hillary or Obama making that gesture ?

How easy is it to find a video of them doing it to a 100X blown up banner of the Great White Hope?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ErIog posted:

she was most likely waving at some people in the cheap seats and accidentally did the salute. this whole armchair nazi spotting thing is getting super weird

you can find tons of pictures of hillary doing the same thing. this doesn't make hillary a secret nazi, this just means that people who are photographed frequently tend to have hilarious and embarassing pictures of them crop up pulling dumb faces or making awkward gestures

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Facebooks recommendation metric is crazy hosed. Half of mine are for Trump fan pages.

Poe's Law. FB is incapable of knowing if it's an anti-Trump, ironic Trump, or pro-Trump page that you want, so gently caress it, have them all.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The officer is also facing an investigation from his own department

for poor marksmanship

pentyne posted:

And the police are defending it as an accidental shoot because they meant to protect him by shooting the severely autistic man next to him playing with a toy truck and yelling at people to shut up.

These are true statements, and it's just made me feel lost and sad.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

beatlegs posted:

No one forgot the GOP was racist.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Chilichimp posted:

HAHAHA, you guys, I just watched it again and she still totally did a Nazi salute.

I know right? She locked it in before transitioning.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Deified Data posted:

No one forgot the GOP was racist.

The GOP does seem to have forgotten which side Lincoln was fighting on, however. :heritage:

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Mister Macys posted:

(imgur is hosed, or I'd post that)

click on the picture itself after you upload it and a menu should give you access to 'share links'. it's kind of hidden, took me a while to find it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You assholes arguing about a racist blonde lady heiling American Hitler missed a minor miracle tonight. Alex Jones and Roger Stone crashed the Young Turks and had it out with Cenk.

quote:

'Young Turks' host fights with Trump allies

A swearing match between famous and controversial media figures erupted on the sidelines of the Republican National Convention Thursday night.

"The Young Turks" host Cenk Uygur got into it with controversial Donald Trump allies Roger Stone and Alex Jones.

Uygur, the host of a popular left-wing web video show, called Stone a "piece of crap" and "the biggest liar in media."

"Bullshit! Bullshit! Bullshit!" shouted back Stone, a longtime Trump adviser who has no official role on the campaign.

InfoWars founder Jones stood over Uygur on the show's set, holding a microphone, gesticulating in the progressive host's face and urging him to debate Stone.

"First of all, Alex, this ain't your f---ing show," Uygur shouted back. "And Roger, this surely ain't your f---ing show."

The fight happened on Media Row at the GOP convention in Cleveland.

Security had to intervene.

A young woman in a red dress began shouting at Jones, "Shut the f--- up, bitch."

It's unclear from the video what exactly they were arguing about beyond name-calling — "anti-liberal," "bitch," "hatchet man," "liar" — and a suggestion that Uygur doesn't talk enough about Saudi Arabia.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So Roger Ailes has officially resigned, the slow death of Fox News begins now.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Yeah, Bill Shine is still there running the day to day for a lot of things. So I doubt we'll see much change until contracts start coming up for renewal unless there really is some kind of right wing talker talent exodus.

New hires will also probably be quite a bit more diverse than the current crop. Ailes certainly had a type based on the "blonde ladies of FNC" image that's been floating around for years.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Yoshifan823 posted:

You assholes arguing about a racist blonde lady heiling American Hitler missed a minor miracle tonight. Alex Jones and Roger Stone crashed the Young Turks and had it out with Cenk.

Jones so deserved to get clocked.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

To be fair, all cable news will be rendered obsolete by ubiquitous streaming soon, so it'll be impossible to distinguish which root cause killed it.

The big question for me is whether they soften their Trump boosterism before he gets wrecked in November. Ailes was obsessed with picking the next president and finally being the political powerhouse he had claimed to be but never was. With him out I'm guessing Murdoch will simply refocus on their core strengths, like making models read the news to octogenarians.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

beatlegs posted:

Jones so deserved to get clocked.

Jones has been running around trying to start fights with people since day one of the RNC. I'm impressed Cenk had the self-restraint to hold back from punching him. Like, say what you will about Cenk being a blowhard ultra-liberal, at least he's not a shithead who runs around crashing liveshows looking to spark a fistfight like he's some dumb teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

click on the picture itself after you upload it and a menu should give you access to 'share links'. it's kind of hidden, took me a while to find it.

Imgur just kept giving me "Processing image" and hanging. No big deal.