Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Supreme Allah posted:

I thought it was the room that monitored the communication to Heaven for some reason.. I seem to remember a room similar to that when the angels' phone was ringing.

e - so in this context it would've been something very dangerous being communicated

This is probably me reading too much in to it, but the opening credits seem to suggest a connection with Heaven. When an actor's name comes up, it seems to show a scene they are involved in behind them (Derek Wilson has the gun in his mouth scene for example).
In this, Tom Brooke has the lamp from the motel, then it shows the heaven phone, then the control room, then the coffee can that Genesis lived in before Anatol Yusef's name comes up. I don't know, but that seems to suggest a connection with DeBlanc and Fiore to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

The only example counter to that coming to mind was The Slavers story, but it was more of a footnote and backdrop. Honestly the most disturbing thing in that story was what the Punisher did to those people by the end, including Repeatedly throwing the woman involved into unbreakable glass until first she broke nearly every bone, then the glass finally gave in too). So no argument Ennis can get wildly extreme but there's always this.. I don't know, vibe (again from the Punisher stuff) that he knows he's being massively over the top and reveling in it that makes it far less creepy than some of Alan Moore's stuff or the like.

Ennis' being extreme can sometimes work when it serves to underscore some dramatic moment. It's just really grating when it's obviously just shoehorned in for no good reason but to amp up the edge. No Garth, I don't really care that this antagonist can enjoy only buttsex after being violently assraped, can you please get back to the plot? No Garth, I also don't care how this other bad guy does the sex. Just... just get back to the part where they're trying to find and confront god, please.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm not famliar with Ennis too much past his Punisher run, which is the only Punisher run worth reading in my view. Seriously if you ever read MAX, do not read past his run. I didn't realize when he left and thought the story of the Punisher going to Mexico to fight the Cartels would have been a great idea.. then read it, thought it was rewarmed dog poo poo and bottomed out in quality.. and that's when I noticed Ennis's name wasn't on it anymore.

But I have to say, rape is surprisingly not an angle he tends to go for much, unlike some other comic authors. At least in that series. All manner of hosed up things, sometimes ridiculously hosed up things that come off as hilarious (a character shooting herself while riding a main character, for example), but I can think of very little rampant rape. Maybe I'm skewed by Game of Thrones standards.

The only example counter to that coming to mind was The Slavers story, but it was more of a footnote and backdrop. Honestly the most disturbing thing in that story was what the Punisher did to those people by the end, including Repeatedly throwing the woman involved into unbreakable glass until first she broke nearly every bone, then the glass finally gave in too). So no argument Ennis can get wildly extreme but there's always this.. I don't know, vibe (again from the Punisher stuff) that he knows he's being massively over the top and reveling in it that makes it far less creepy than some of Alan Moore's stuff or the like.

Anyway, just my two cents on the guy from a very, very limited view of his overall body of work.

I've read a lot of Ennis' work, including all of his Punisher MAX run, which got me back into buying GNs, along with his War Stories and Battlefields line (which are awesome reads because it's obvious Ennis loves doing historical pieces, but they do include a lot of Ennis-grade rape and allusions toward rape either being possible or implied), as well as Red Team, 303, and the entire run of The Boys as well, including the offshoots. Ennis absolutely hates superheroes and Preacher is basically his opening shot, by going after Superhero #1 in ~Gawd Himself~, as well as showing the choir of angels to also be largely inept and only capable of marginal success because of an infinite lives cheat.

The show has my attention simply because I'm anxious to see who Herr Starr will be, and if they've managed to make Odin a compelling character, then I can't wait to see what they do with Starr and his staff.

Also, I suggest you get your hands on used copies of Jason Aaron's Punisher MAX run. He picks up directly after where Ennis left off, ignoring all of the also-ran stuff. He doesn't do a perfect job, but he bookends it well.

There's also talk of Ennis doing a comic of Frank in Vietnam, too...but this is getting rambly.

EDIT: And let's face it, we're all kind of 'bought in' because we want live action animated GIFs of these moments (spoilered for what-the-gently caress's sake):

I also really hope that the writers had the forethought to fit in the "Why don't you tell us what you really want?" moment into something where an analog of Hillary and Trump get "voiced."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 20, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There's also talk of Ennis doing a comic of Frank in Vietnam, too...but this is getting rambly.

He already did that in Born didn't he? Which I remember being pretty drat good.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Jerusalem posted:

Both Born and his Fury mini are loving fantastic.
I keep hearing about his Hitman run too, but I never got into it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kulkasha posted:

I keep hearing about his Hitman run too, but I never got into it.

I don't want to spoil it but you should at least read the Superman issue (#34), which is simultaneously touching, inspiring and has one hell of a punchline.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

This series would cover him from his first day in Vietnam. The hope is that it works out like his second 'Fury' series (also amazing and worth getting your hands on if you liked his Punisher MAX run, as there's tie-in) where he starts as an FNG and potentially takes the reader to just before "Born."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Blazing Ownager posted:

But I have to say, rape is surprisingly not an angle he tends to go for much, unlike some other comic authors. At least in that series. All manner of hosed up things, sometimes ridiculously hosed up things that come off as hilarious (a character shooting herself while riding a main character, for example), but I can think of very little rampant rape. Maybe I'm skewed by Game of Thrones standards.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I forgot about the first run of Punisher MAX and thought you guys were talking about the Dillon run for a while there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Don't forget JEAN DE BATON-BATON!

Which is all I could think about when I ran across this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFqh4IKSA64

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I found the Fury Max run in a dollar bin a few years ago and loved it.

I was a HUGE fan of The Boys... I have an issue autographed in person by Ennis, Braun and Robertson and sketches from Braun and Robertson in my collection.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Bogmonster posted:

This is probably me reading too much in to it, but the opening credits seem to suggest a connection with Heaven. When an actor's name comes up, it seems to show a scene they are involved in behind them (Derek Wilson has the gun in his mouth scene for example).
In this, Tom Brooke has the lamp from the motel, then it shows the heaven phone, then the control room, then the coffee can that Genesis lived in before Anatol Yusef's name comes up. I don't know, but that seems to suggest a connection with DeBlanc and Fiore to me.

Seeing as how everything from Heaven looks mechanical and human on Earth, I assume that Pappy is an angel like DeBlanc and Fiore, and the machine he maintains in that control room is where the Saint of Killers is kept.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The Action Man posted:

Seeing as how everything from Heaven looks mechanical and human on Earth, I assume that Pappy is an angel like DeBlanc and Fiore, and the machine he maintains in that control room is where the Saint of Killers is kept.

I think you're digging WAY too deep into that. I think it's pretty obvious that Quincannon is doing something (fracking, etc) that's causing a build up of gas pressure and Pappy's job is to release the gas (remember the scene where the pipe opened and something came out?).

All leading to an inevitable explosion.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Medullah posted:

I think you're digging WAY too deep into that. I think it's pretty obvious that Quincannon is doing something (fracking, etc) that's causing a build up of gas pressure and Pappy's job is to release the gas (remember the scene where the pipe opened and something came out?).

All leading to an inevitable explosion.

I agree that we're heading to an inevitable explosion, and we've been looking at the cause in the control room all season.

The scenes of Pappy in the control room seem to be designed for wild fan speculation, so we'll see how wrong I am over the next two weeks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Boinks posted:

I found the Fury Max run in a dollar bin a few years ago and loved it.

I was a HUGE fan of The Boys... I have an issue autographed in person by Ennis, Braun and Robertson and sketches from Braun and Robertson in my collection.

There are actually *two* Ennis Fury MAX runs. There's the one where he takes on the former Russian/Hydra guy (which is rumored to have been the sole cause as to why George Clooney decided to not play Nick Fury when the Marvel movies started up), and then there's the one where it chronicles him through the Cold War. The first one is funnier, the second one is amazing yet tragic as gently caress.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 20, 2016

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There are actually *two* Ennis Fury MAX runs. There's the one where he takes on the former Russian/Hydra guy (which is rumored to have been the sole cause as to why George Clooney decided to not play Nick Fury when the Marvel movies started up), and then there's the one where it chronicles him through the Cold War. The first one is funnier, the second one is amazing yet tragic as gently caress.

The first one has tons of Ennis' weaknesses as a writer, but Fury: My War Gone By is some of the best work Ennis has ever done.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Was it back in episode 2 where we saw a shadowy man attending the Dallas Snuff Film Festival (a really disturbing concept in itself, made even more disturbing by the film titles on the poster)? I didn't think that was supposed to be Odin, so could it have been an early glimpse of Starr, or someone else entirely?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That can only have been Starr, the suit and hat are a dead giveaway.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I really hope Starr ends up being someone like Scott Glenn. He really has the ability to go from 'idle' to 'redline' rather well.

The fanbase seems to think it'll be Charles Dance or Terry O'Quinn, but honestly I don't think we're going to see his face this season, and the guy we saw was one of the crew in the suit serving as a stand-in. Someone would have leaked the casting by now, otherwise.

Dream casting, though? Patrick Stewart.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 21, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Holy Christ, Stewart as Starr would be a thing. Probably not happening though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Grognan posted:

Holy Christ, Stewart as Starr would be a thing. Probably not happening though.

Stewart always wanted to be Spider Jerusalem from memory, and even though that was a Warren Ellis thing I think it would be amazing to see him as Garth Ennis' Herr Starr.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Never gonna happen, but wouldn't it be great?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Stewart always wanted to be Spider Jerusalem from memory, and even though that was a Warren Ellis thing I think it would be amazing to see him as Garth Ennis' Herr Starr.

It's possible. He does voiceover work for MacFarlane's crap, and he seemed to be having some fun on Blunt Talk on Starz. It's pretty clear he wants to be something other than Jean-Luc Picard before he kicks off. Starr would be great for him, and I'm sure he'd jump at the chance.

And is that a bald Christoph Waltz? Because *gently caress* yes.

Also, not only is this getting a second season, AMC has inked for 13 episodes instead of this season's 10.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Back when I read Preacher in the early '00s, my dream casting was Matthew McConaughey for Jesse, Patricia Arquette for Tulip (who reminded me of her character from True Romance), Ewan McGregor for Cassidy, Lance Henricksen for the Saint of Killers (figuring Clint Eastwood would be impossible to get), and John Malkovich for Starr.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
Ed Harris for Starr. He even had the same makeup in A History of Violence.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Never gonna happen, but wouldn't it be great?

Yeah I love Patrick Stewart but Christolph Waltz would be way more perfect for the role.

Like soooo perfect.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Perestroika posted:

This is pure speculation, but spoilered just in case: That part might still happen yet, what with Jesse going on about calling god down to provide answers. My guess is he'll do just that, but god's presence ends up nuking the congegration (or even the whole town), sparing only Jesse because of Genesis. There's a reason why that guy usually talks only through burning bushes, angels, and prophets, after all. That'd handily wrap up the storyline centered around the town and provide the impetus for the crew to go elsewhere, picking up the main thread of the comic's plot.

Or like how they had god on Dogma You can look at god, but your human mind can't handle his voice so when he answers a question... BOOM!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I love Patrick Stewart but Christolph Waltz would be way more perfect for the role.

Like soooo perfect.

Of course he would, he already has the accent!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BooDoug187 posted:

Or like how they had god on Dogma You can look at god, but your human mind can't handle his voice so when he answers a question... BOOM!

We went through five Adams before we figured that one out.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, people were talking about the look of the comic Preacher and after glancing at some images..

I've come to the conclusion that he was totally drawn to look like this guy, from Nightbreed:

Not act like him or anything but we just saw Nightbreed on Netflix and I every time he came on screen I kept going "This guy looks like Preacher" and not just because he was, well, a preacher.

ED: As for Nightbreed (Director's Cut, anyway) itself, I.. I don't know what to say. There were parts of it that were amazing, stuff that was awesome, stuff that was hokey, the strangest fever-dream pacing.. I don't really know what to exactly say about it, but I noticed a lot of directors borrowing influence from it (Jesus, there's a part in it that Hellboy 2 ripped the look off almost entirely). Strange as hell movie that's one of the hardest I've seen to pin down.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 21, 2016

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
The first person I thought of when seeing that image was Harry Connick Jr.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Keep in mind that that's Glenn Fabry's cover art and that Preacher's cover art is to its interior art as a McDonald's promo shot is to an instagram of what you actually get, but yeah, I can see some resemblance.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I have a graphic novel that's just Preacher cover art. It's great.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
From Dillon's artwork I always figured Jesse was supposed to look like young Elvis. Hell if I know who Cover Jesse was supposed to look like.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kulkasha posted:

From Dillon's artwork I always figured Jesse was supposed to look like young Elvis. Hell if I know who Cover Jesse was supposed to look like.

Jesse is way too ugly to be anything like Elvis. Elvis has a smooth babyface. Jesse is some kinda redneck dude.

Cover Jesse is better looking but yeah, just some other guy. Actually... kinda John Stamos with a mullet? Yeah... not far off.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I've come to the conclusion that he was totally drawn to look like this guy, from Nightbreed:

Not act like him or anything but we just saw Nightbreed on Netflix and I every time he came on screen I kept going "This guy looks like Preacher" and not just because he was, well, a preacher.

That's a pretty dead ringer, yeah. I could see it being possible.

Oh and just for fun, I just heard that they put out a reprinted Preacher #1 as part of hype for the show, and they changed the cover art to match the show cast, kinda cool to compare them:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

drat, as much as I complain about Dillon, that's spot on and looks extremely good. Better than the comic characters ever did, if I'm honest.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:eyepop: That's the good stuff right there.

E: Even giving acknowledgment to the show's ditching of Cassidy's never taking his glasses off from the comics.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I always thought John Malkovitch would be an amazing Herr Starr.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

:tviv:
As a fan of Dillon these last twenty years or so, I'm shocked to learn that he CAN draw faces if he tries. There's at least four or five different faces between them seven people. Now if only Dominic Cooper can put as much effort into staying in his Texas accent consistently.

(edit)

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 22, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's possible. He does voiceover work for MacFarlane's crap, and he seemed to be having some fun on Blunt Talk on Starz. It's pretty clear he wants to be something other than Jean-Luc Picard before he kicks off.

Don't forget that he was recently the leader of a bunch of neo-nazi skinheads in Green Room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's pretty clear he wants to be something other than Jean-Luc Picard before he kicks off.

He did back then too. Despite what everyone thinks of Patrick Stewart, he's into things like dirt racing (seriously) and kept wanting more of an action part. He's pretty much nothing at all like the roles he's famous for, made even more notable by the fact he's actually really good at comedy.

He almost left the show in like the 3rd season even.

ED: Also American Dad is easily the only watchable MacFarlane show (because he's been hands off for years), and that's where he does 99% of his work.

• Locked thread