Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Buried alive posted:

One of those moments for me was when several people had a mildly technical discussion and criticism of something about economics and the opening of Jrod's response was something like "I don't think you people really understand economics all that well." That's one of the few times I got legitimately angry at a post on the internet.

... You know, I'd actually forgotten, but now I do remember getting literally shouting-at-the-screen mad when he began talking about those with developmental disabilities and how they needed to be put to gainful employment for whatever wage the glorious Captains of Industry would deign to give them and made it personal without even realizing it.

... gently caress. I'm angry all over again now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

jrodbot posted:

Implications we deduce are wrong.

jrodbot posted:

And during that time we saw an unprecedented expansion of the time had sought the creation of a verbal debate.

jrodbot posted:

You would have to live with the Milton Friedman Chicago School of economics, perhaps because of bitterness over the long run, but money appreciated in value.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
How about when he was all going on about how government employees are parasites and then someone was like, "Uh, I work for the government and love my job and help people every day" and he starts shuffle walking back about how maybe #NotAllPublicServants are bad.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hm, the bot is now pitching a fit and saying we need to hide our money under our mattresses. I'm not sure if this is a coding error.

jrodbot posted:

Why create uncertainty and anxiety for so many when they hid it under the mattress?

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 21, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I was a fan of homesteading being the only reasonable concept of property because it wouldn't make sense to let the third person there own it.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

VioletCorsica posted:

Hm, the bot is now pitching a fit and saying we need to hide our money under our mattresses. I'm not sure if this is a coding error.

I dare you to register a forum account where ever he is posting right now and unleash the bot there. Be sure to add the list of Jrodisms where he dismisses all posts previous to his.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
A jrod-bot doesn't seem authentic if it doesn't vomit thousands of words at a time. :v:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GunnerJ posted:

How about when he was all going on about how government employees are parasites and then someone was like, "Uh, I work for the government and love my job and help people every day" and he starts shuffle walking back about how maybe #NotAllPublicServants are bad.

Or the time he said Caros was letting the death of his friend cloud his judgement and if he would just move on and look at things logically he would once again be welcomed into the Libertarian fold.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Or the time he said Caros was letting the death of his friend cloud his judgement and if he would just move on and look at things logically he would once again be welcomed into the Libertarian fold.

Which time. He did that as recently as last week in an email.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Caros posted:

Caros noooooooooooooooo

Caros
May 14, 2008

theshim posted:

Caros noooooooooooooooo

You can't stop me you fuckers! Hahahaha hahahaha!

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of which isn't it about time for another visit from the free market fairy?

I don't think they'll be unbanning Jrod anytime soon.

Anyways, here's your weekly Mises.

Delinquency Rates Rising: Is A New Crisis Approaching?
tl;dr If you ignore all the data I don't like, you can see a crisis coming.

Certified data masseuse posted:

the delinquency rate on all bank loans (the headline number) has no predictive power; it just follows a random pattern.
Uh, that's not true. It actually vaguely tracks the commercial and industrial loans delinquency rate this person is obsessing over:

(Chart by me, source for the Federal funds rate here, source for loan delinquency rates here.)
And I don't think the Fed rate tracks quite that closely with disaster. If anything, judging from the historical pattern, the funds rate peaks align with delinquency rate troughs. A 0.25% increase in the funds rate shouldn't immediately result in skyrocketing delinquency, rather, the opposite should happen. (This involves scrutinizing data. Please someone help me. I'm not any good at this.)

Privatize the Police

Heaven forbid we update the great prophets writings posted:

Consider the Times Square area of New York City, a notoriously crime-ridden area where there is little police protection furnished by the city authorities. Every New Yorker knows, in fact, that he lives and walks the streets, and not only Times Square, virtually in a state of "anarchy," dependent solely on the normal peacefulness and good will of his fellow citizens.
:allears:

The Lessons of the 1920–21 Depression
Crackpot reviews book by crackpot, gives thumbs-up.

How the State Worsens Economic Inequality

You say progressive taxation, I say abolish the Fed posted:

It is true that the distance between the ‘super rich’ and the rest of the population has been increasing... the most important reason for this development has been widely neglected in the debate: our monopolistic monetary system...
In a fiat money system the costs of money production fall to virtually zero. Thus, the incentive to produce new money is almost irresistible. And all money production redistributes income and wealth, because not all economic agents receive the new money at the same time. Some people get the new money earlier, some get it later. The first receivers of the new money benefit, as they have higher cash balances and can buy at the old, still low prices. Once the first receivers spend the money, it flows to the next receivers who still profit but less than the first receivers since prices start rising. Successively the new money spreads across the economy and pushes prices upward.
This is not an explanation of how rich people get rich, it's an explanation of how banks get rich. These entities are not interchangeable. Bill Gates does not have access to the Fed.

The Political Class vs. the Rest of Us

Politicans are evil; please feel sorry for the billionaires posted:

It’s Not About Wealth, It’s About Politics

We will hear, no doubt, that the justice standard depends upon one’s wealth. Please. Tell that to Martha Stewart, whom Jim Comey prosecuted when he was the George W. Bush-appointed US attorney and won a conviction against her in a Manhattan federal court in 2004.
Or compare Comey’s treatment of Hillary Clinton with how he dealt with Frank Quattrone, the banker whom Comey charged with “obstruction of justice” and “witness tampering” for a series of emails that Quattrone sent to employees and associates preceding a federal investigation of Quattrone and Credit Suisse First Boston.
:qq: It's so hard out here for a multi-millionaire :qq:

The Market is True Democracy

wot posted:

If only there were a system of democratic decision-making in which all members of society had a voice, a system that couldn’t be controlled by the rich and powerful. If only there were a system in which all people could choose to distribute wealth to those that they feel are best at improving the lives of their fellow human beings.

Of course, there is such a system: it’s called the market. The free market is a genuine democracy that offers all the benefits supposedly found in democratic political systems without their drawbacks.
It's like democracy, if 1% of the population had more votes than the rest put together :eng101:

Italy on the Brink

I don't understand what wealth is posted:

Let us consider these "small savers" whom the Italian government is so eager to protect. In 2013, net wealth of the median Italian household was 145,469 euros, including real and financial assets. It is hard to believe that a household which was savvy and disciplined enough to accumulate this amount of net wealth would be so naive
€145,469 is about $160,118. That's less than the median cost of a house in the U.S., you worthless dipshit. Also, median means half of everyone has less than that.

Private Policing Isn't a Fantasy

Only governments abuse power posted:

Many people recoil from the idea of policing being done by private, for-profit enterprise. They imagine that such companies, in their attempt to maximize profit, would be even more abusive than government police. But what most fail to realize is that private ‘police’ already exist in America and to a large extent: there are an estimated 3 persons employed in private security for every public cop. These include a wide range of roles and skills, from the night watchman at a construction site to sophisticated cyber security experts ensuring that financial transactions are secure.

Private policing isn’t some fantasy, and it isn’t just a luxury enjoyed by the rich: every time you enter a shopping mall, go to a department store, visit an amusement park, enjoy a live professional sporting event, or use PayPal, you are being protected by people trying to maximize profit.
Mm, yes, the undertrained, comically incompetent high school graduate employed by the local mall is a shining example of the free market.

Why We Get More Policing Than We Need: It's "Free"
We call upon the police more than we need to because they're often the only social service available. This isn't a loving demand issue caused by low price ceilings. Jesus Christ.

Helicopter Money: The Biggest Fed Power Grab Yet

I AM A loving CRACKPOT posted:

The Cleveland Fed’s Loretta Mester is a clueless apparatchik and Fed lifer, who joined the system in 1985 fresh out of Barnard and Princeton and has imbibed in its Keynesian groupthink and institutional arrogance ever since. So it’s not surprising that she was out flogging — albeit down under in Australia — the next step in the Fed’s rolling coup d’ etat.
...what helicopter money policy would do. Based on some Keynesian gobbledygook about the purported gap between full-employment or “potential GDP” and actual output and employment, the Fed would essentially set the Federal deficit target.
These are my favorite Mises articles, when the writer just starts frothing at the mouth and cramming in as many snarl words as they can. I find few things more enjoyable than watching a crackpot melt down.

USDA and Agribusiness Cartel Plot to Destroy a Small Business

Regulation is bad posted:

The real problem is not that the laws are too vague in specifying the functions and purposes of these agencies and their programs, but that the agencies exist at all. For it is the US government itself through its legal power to regulate and intervene in economic activities that is the fount of all monopoly privileges, corporate welfare, and anti-consumer practices. The real solution is to abolish the Agricultural Department and all other regulatory agencies and restore a regime of strict laissez-faire capitalism in which consumers alone determine the kinds, quantities and qualities of goods and services that are produced by their purchasing decisions on free and competitive markets.
If private actors had done the same things this article complains about government doing, the author would be singing the praises of the free market. Pretty much any Austrian Schooler complaint about "government crushing businesses" is insincere, since they only care about who's doing the crushing.

Politicians Target Pikachu

How do you do, fellow kids? posted:

Just a week after the launch of Poke’mon Go, politicians are considering legislation aimed at restricting its use. Villainous Team Rocket may not have been able to stop Pikachu, but they are mere amateurs compared to the State.
It's so cute when Austrian Schoolers try to be relevant.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Caros posted:

You can't stop me you fuckers! Hahahaha hahahaha!

Highway overpass, dude.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Caros posted:

Are you serious? Come on, man, don't be keeping the good stuff to yourself, you're not the only one that's itching for a fix!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

spoon0042 posted:

A jrod-bot doesn't seem authentic if it doesn't vomit thousands of words at a time. :v:

Oh, don't worry. It does, but I need to do something about prepositions and sentence length because now it wants us to put our money under the mattress under the mattress under the mattress. Like some kind of libertarian and the pea scenario.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Curvature of Earth posted:

Why We Get More Policing Than We Need: It's "Free"
We call upon the police more than we need to because they're often the only social service available. This isn't a loving demand issue caused by low price ceilings. Jesus Christ.
Actually, I think you will find that, as it is free, people have infinite demand for the police :cop:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

jrodbot posted:

A good record for Keynesian interventionist economics? I'll go even further. Keynesian theory recommends counter cyclical spending so that national debts don't get out of control. But as we know, credit expansion by a central bank. You would have to be used to address every minor complaint, there will be worth less, likely FAR less, when they have to be expected.

jrodbot posted:

The future. At the moment I don't want to call in a third party that might act as a performative contradiction, I DID in fact prove the validity of the cost of living in an interesting position. They would either have to do so without contradiction, without making an error in their reasoning, then we will be glad to discard the refuted axiom.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 21, 2016

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Caros posted:

I need this to be true so much you don't even understand.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Caros posted:

:stare:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Watch Caros get banned for account sharing for becoming a conduit for jrod

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

VioletCorsica posted:

"A good record for Keynesian interventionist economics? I'll go even further. Keynesian theory recommends counter cyclical spending so that national debts don't get out of control. But as we know, credit expansion by a central bank. You would have to be used to address every minor complaint, there will be worth less, likely FAR less, when they have to be expected."
Oh my god it's beautiful. So close to coherent, individual pieces that are technically accurate but stop on a dime mid-sentence, and so utterly baffling if you just read it straight through.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

I need this to be true so much you don't even understand.

Sorry to disappoint. I seriously considered copy pasting one of his earlier posts from the thread to see if I could pass it off as correspondence, but alas I am lazy.

Had you all going tho.

Caros
May 14, 2008

This is good. These things you are doing are good things.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronjutter posted:

Watch Caros get banned for account sharing for becoming a conduit for jrod

It's ok, we'll just need to hire an exorcist.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Caros posted:

This is good. These things you are doing are good things.

jrodbot posted:

At the moment I don't want to discuss and, like I said, it is unrealistic for me to launch into an all out verbal attack on government run or funded healthcare, trotting out statistics and comparisons to free expression. Public works programs and economic stimulus was not immediately enacted. That didn't happen, as I have a hope of making ends meet in the future. If they can do so, just as I have no business being in the fundamental immorality of slavery, which makes it easier to take over from fossil fuels, I would be good enough to obviate the need for court action. The fact that these police services to criminal activities only. Even better, let's limit them to stop.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
gently caress sending jrodbot after jrod, give it an account and let it post here!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Grognan posted:

I dare you to register a forum account where ever he is posting right now and unleash the bot there. Be sure to add the list of Jrodisms where he dismisses all posts previous to his.

Nosfereefer posted:

gently caress sending jrodbot after jrod, give it an account and let it post here!

I'm in. I am learning how to code and don't know how to handle an API yet. So, next week?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Privatize the Police

quote:

Consider the Times Square area of New York City, a notoriously crime-ridden area where there is little police protection furnished by the city authorities. Every New Yorker knows, in fact, that he lives and walks the streets, and not only Times Square, virtually in a state of "anarchy," dependent solely on the normal peacefulness and good will of his fellow citizens.

:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuouL4WnM9A

#EdgyAnarchy

Private Policing Isn't a Fantasy

Mm, yes, the undertrained, comically incompetent high school graduate employed by the local mall is a shining example of the free market.

Not only that, most of the job is "be there to call the police"

Caros
May 14, 2008

So everyone is in agreement that the bot should be called Jr0defeld, right?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

VioletCorsica posted:

I'm in. I am learning how to code and don't know how to handle an API yet. So, next week?

In all seriousness, creating a bot account might possibly get you banned. (The rules about this sort of thing are kind of vague.) You should probably bring it up with a mod first.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So you're going to make a JRod bot that'll post here? That's pretty sad, I suggest you spend those :10bux: on something else.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So you're going to make a JRod bot that'll post here? That's pretty sad, I suggest you spend those :10bux: on something else.

Oh, sorry. I wasn't clear. I was going to make a JRodbot "Jr0defeld" that could post on a forum where he wasn't banned.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, in that case at least it won't cost you money.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

VioletCorsica posted:

Oh, sorry. I wasn't clear. I was going to make a JRodbot "Jr0defeld" that could post on a forum where he wasn't banned.

Did you use his posts from the Property Rights thread when you were training it? Or just this thread?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

Did you use his posts from the Property Rights thread when you were training it? Or just this thread?

Only this thread and googled his username for other forums' text.

Where is the property rights thread? The bot is hungry.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

VioletCorsica posted:

Only this thread and googled his username for other forums' text.

Where is the property rights thread? The bot is hungry.

This thread had a baby brother! It was perfect. Perfect in every way.

Basically jrod came back from one of his vacations and decided to start anew, with a clean slate. A new thread where none of his regular critics would be there to poison the well. We found him almost immediately.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

jrodbot posted:

I want this discussion to be backed up by a central bank. You would have to deal with Republican presidents and Congresses at least initially, to limit the discussion to be used to address these issues at lower cost and with less threat of deadly force. People won't even read a short link I post, so what hope is there for people to merely put away pieces of paper to save for retirement? Say whatever you want to again rehash the point that I cannot in good conscience support the violence underpinning the system. Then create fictions about the plight of the science. And many of the Gold Commission which was a abomination. Peruse this article by Richard K.Vedder And Lowell Gallaway. It is this a good record for Keynesian interventionist economics? I'll go even further. Keynesian theory recommends counter cyclical spending so that national debts don't get out of our physical bodies. Our bodies would remain scarce, and so we'd still need to be implemented and funded. Crony capitalists need subsidies.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Shame that title never did get changed, though.

e: ^^ :stare:

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

YF19pilot posted:

I forget if it was jrode or the jrode-lite we had for a while, but I think some of the posts about building codes and regulations pissed me off. I think it was right around the same time the last big earthquake hit here in Taiwan, and a building had collapsed because of the contractor cutting corners and purposely weakening the structure, killing a lot of people. I think the response was basically "the free market will decide" or some non-answer bullshit like that.

Great, now I'm going to have to look that up.

Are you sure you're not thinking of one of Ayn Rand's protagonists? Because one of the heroes from Atlas Shrugged totally does exactly that.

It's... beautiful. They did send a poet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If jrodefeld did not exist, it would become necessary to invent him.