Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Bunk posted:

I'm a little behind, but Dania was right. They really need to get a compressor so I can stop having to turn my stereo up 10 db just to hear. It wouldn't be $20k either, what the hell Dudio.

It's gotten better recently but there was a while where in studio guests would be super quiet, Tom would be loud, and the music bed would be booming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

slimer's wearin' a brawr

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

The Bunk posted:

I'm a little behind, but Dania was right. They really need to get a compressor so I can stop having to turn my stereo up 10 db just to hear. It wouldn't be $20k either, what the hell Dudio.

It seems completely unbelievable to me that they don't have one in their rack. I used to do college radio in a way dingier place than WFMU, and we were trained how that worked... Tom has to know what one is. It doesn't even seem like they normalize the volume in post, I've had episodes I can barely hear when cranked all the way up.

WrathOfBlade posted:

slimer's wearin' a brawr

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Alan Vega has passed away. I suspect we're in for a particularly brutal sound collage in the very near future.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

The Bunk posted:

Yeah it's been really bad ever since they left WFMU, I really wish they'd do something about it

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

lol i forgot nick dipaolo made fun of toms jacket like 16 years ago

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
http://youtu.be/SgbvKsblWY4

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

This was the funniest thing on the Best Show in a long time. I'd put it up there with Tom and PFT talking about the Gathering of the Juggalos.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
That reminds me, Nardwar interviewed the Insane Clown Posse recently and in the interview he gave them a copy of Rock Rot and Rule with the connection being the Gathering of the Juggalos riff with PFT. Except that he doesn't explain that they were making fun of the whole thing. He just says that Tom was really interested in taking a helicopter ride to which ICP are like "Oh yeah? Well we had to stop doing those because of legal reasons."

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Dr.Radical posted:

That reminds me, Nardwar interviewed the Insane Clown Posse recently and in the interview he gave them a copy of Rock Rot and Rule with the connection being the Gathering of the Juggalos riff with PFT. Except that he doesn't explain that they were making fun of the whole thing. He just says that Tom was really interested in taking a helicopter ride to which ICP are like "Oh yeah? Well we had to stop doing those because of legal reasons."

Tom addressed this in this week's show and his Nardwuar impression was delightful

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I love how Tom couldn't help feeling a little hurt that Shaggy 2 Dope didn't know who he was

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Tom doing the "Morrissey as the singer for Rage Against the Machine" was A+++

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
"Do you like Morrissey now? How about now? How about now? Did that one do it?"

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
animule

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
lol someone actually made this
https://www.gofundme.com/tomssaugeparty

It's 12 hours old and there's only 1240 bucks left until Tom has to film himself watching Sausage Party.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

good show last week

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Illinois Smith posted:

lol someone actually made this
https://www.gofundme.com/tomssaugeparty

It's 12 hours old and there's only 1240 bucks left until Tom has to film himself watching Sausage Party.

270 now

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

tumor looking batty posted:

good show last week

For real, idk what it is but the Wurster calls have really been slaying me lately. The Darren From Work arc with the magician was just spectacular.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I've been finding the contrast between the way Wurster would bring up Vinyl (citing record nerd innacuracies to get Tom's goat) versus the way he's been talking about Roadies (he seems to just be dripping with contempt for this one, presumably because it's so wrong about an experience that he's that much closer to?) to be a whole lot of fun.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
Does hollywood ever get the music industry WRONG?

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Banksy at the Grand Ole Opry had me in tears.

Also worth recognizing: Mary Houlihan is a killer guest.

WrathOfBlade fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 16, 2016

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

yeah and she laughs like a little grandma

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
The first time Jo Firestone was on the show I thought she was a Mary Houlihan character.

beeman
May 7, 2008

i love just listening to mike talk on the half hour of power

edit: and tom knows who sam hyde is, apparently

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Bunk posted:

The first time Jo Firestone was on the show I thought she was a Mary Houlihan character.

I thought Nellie McKay was a character

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Ahaha Jeff Feuerzeig started talking in the middle of an "I had to bleep all of that" pregnant pause :v:

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

beeman posted:

i love just listening to mike talk on the half hour of power

edit: and tom knows who sam hyde is, apparently

Sam Hyde's anti-political-correctness schtick doesn't seem to jive with Tom's general opinion on things but I guess he pays more attention to the internet than he would probably let on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What does he say about him?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

I thought Nellie McKay was a character

Wait yeah that's who I meant instead of Jo Firestone.

Also I had never heard of Nardwuar when he called into the show for the first time, and it blew my mind when I found out he wasn't a JW character.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
They around the same age and have similar voices. Both have careers in music alongside their other talents. Has anyone seen both of them in a room together before? Wurster may be duping us with the long-con.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nardwar even looks kind of like an uglier Wurster

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
When did Nardwuar call into the show? I think I missed that one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not sure about recently but he's called in on and off over the years.

He really does seem like a living Wurster character.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

That Jeff Feuerzeig dude who was on this week rules, that Half Japanese documentary is one of my fave things ever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dr. Who can replace Dudio?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So what's this about MTV lifting a gag from Scharpling and Wurster?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Allen Wren posted:

So what's this about MTV lifting a gag from Scharpling and Wurster?

An MTV news Twitter account made a joke that essentially amounted to "trump aid says Madness Invented Ska" as part of a spree of "trump aide says very dumb thing" tweets.

I read it as more homage/in joke for the knowledgable than "stole a joke from Scharpling" but I guess people saw it differently.

Turns out it was a case of "FOT suggested joke in the spirit of homage, MTV person ran with it completely unaware of source, got embarrassed, deleted tweet."

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

CaptainPsyko posted:

An MTV news Twitter account made a joke that essentially amounted to "trump aid says Madness Invented Ska" as part of a spree of "trump aide says very dumb thing" tweets.

I read it as more homage/in joke for the knowledgable than "stole a joke from Scharpling" but I guess people saw it differently.

Turns out it was a case of "FOT suggested joke in the spirit of homage, MTV person ran with it completely unaware of source, got embarrassed, deleted tweet."

Plagiarism in the age of Twitter

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

CaptainPsyko posted:

I just bought the box set, listening to it this morning, and was listening to the infamous "Rock, Rot, Rule" bit while reading this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

This weeks wurster call made me laugh so hard. Dentist the Meowness.