Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Fords have always been good at it in my experience. I'm pretty sure I've driven every single one of their four-speed electronic RWD autos and all of 'em were great at engine braking. Manually dropping a gear on the highway to hold speed for a downhill could easily send unrestrained things on the seats to the floor.

The KJ Liberty, not so much. You could drop that thing to second at 70 MPH and the RPMs would rise while you felt basically no change from the driver's seat. I did not like driving it in the mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

0toShifty posted:

The most batshit thing a Prius transmission does is how it implements overdrive. Prius enthusiasts (yes) call it "heretic mode" - Toyota calls it "power recirculation mode" - at highway speeds - the gas engine is spinning all the time. To make overdrive happen, one of the motor generators takes power off the output of the differential, and drives the other motor generator with that power together with the engine - which in effect slows the engine to a more efficient RPM. Seems kind of like a perpetual motion machine.

On the second‐generation Prius, this mode happens at and above 42 mph. Even if no gas is being consumed, the ICE’s crankshaft must rotate.

If you put the car into neutral below 42 mph and coast downhill, you can exceed 42 mph without the car switching into recirculation mode. This results in overspeed on one of the motor‐generators (I think it’s MG2).

I don’t know if this flaw was fixed in later models.

Another quirk of Toyota’s HSD is that in reverse, more power is available when the ICE is stopped than when it is idling. To back up a very steep hill, or just a lip of pavement, it is sometimes necessary to wait for the warm‐up cycle to finish so the ICE will stop (or put it in EV mode, if available, to pre‐empt it).

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 22, 2016

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Impending mechanical failure, and a horrible mechanic failure. Apparently the guy that built it is only 15, so mad props...but I think maybe an adult should have stepped in at some point.

quote:

First I started with a drawing, kind of a rough sketch to just get my ideas on paper. I then went to my neighborhood metal store and bought around 30ft of 1 inch tubular steel. To bend it I would clamp it in a vice and hit it with a hammer. Once I had the desired angle I welded the kink to strengthen it. I then welded all the pieces of bent steel to form the main part of the frame.

quote:

I then mounted the gas tank inside the frame by welding mounts and bolting it in.

quote:

After the main frame was built I decided to build the swingarm. I used a wrench and chain links welded together to make mine. But of course you can use steel tube or many other things

Emphasis mine. He doesn't go into the forks a whole lot, but it really looks like there are two butt welds holding them onto the frame.

The whole gallery is here https://imgur.com/gallery/sMfWj#UorSavc

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I know I'm several pages late but BMW did something even more hideous with an E21 back in the early 80's

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

I know I'm several pages late but BMW did something even more hideous with an E21 back in the early 80's

Kind of funny, but that's what you would think is more aerodynamic with no experience in it, but it's really not.

Kind of like how the guy who designed the 68 charger thought the flying buttress thing on the charger would be aerodynamic because it looked aerodynamic, but it was nearly the worst thing he could have done.

What's strange is paul lewis seemed to have gotten it right in 1974, and the big automakers still moved backwards for 2 decades.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Nubile Hillock posted:

Impending mechanical failure, and a horrible mechanic failure. Apparently the guy that built it is only 15, so mad props...but I think maybe an adult should have stepped in at some point.

Emphasis mine. He doesn't go into the forks a whole lot, but it really looks like there are two butt welds holding them onto the frame.

The whole gallery is here https://imgur.com/gallery/sMfWj#UorSavc

Kid owns and this a good and cool thing to do. I hope he survives the swing arm snapping off though.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to rag on the kid. He's definitely got his aesthetic down and some top-tier wrenching is in that project. I'm mostly impressed by getting the brake mounts welded/brazed on all aligned n poo poo...but there are going to be some hard lessons learned about frame design and gusseting sometime in the near future.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

This was posted in a local car group today.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's...that's the teeth for the flywheel out there unzipped, isn't it?

The big thing that got me about rotational energy is the phrase: "The faster you move, the heavier you get. The energy of motion turns into mass."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

NitroSpazzz posted:

I misread this as, like, posted for sale in a local car group

Like these were the photos for the auction listing

"I DARE you to bid on this! :black101: "

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

NitroSpazzz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Mc-NYPHaQ

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Powershift posted:

Kind of funny, but that's what you would think is more aerodynamic with no experience in it, but it's really not.

Kind of like how the guy who designed the 68 charger thought the flying buttress thing on the charger would be aerodynamic because it looked aerodynamic, but it was nearly the worst thing he could have done.

What's strange is paul lewis seemed to have gotten it right in 1974, and the big automakers still moved backwards for 2 decades.

There a fantastic set of NASA papers available from the 70's I think, detailing aero experiments on a box truck. Nothing they did at the front no matter how extreme matched the benefit of lightly fairing in the rear. I think they also started with a full aero tail and progressively chopped more and more of it off with little negative effect down to a couple of feet. Aero is fascinating and I wish I'd studied it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Cakefool posted:

There a fantastic set of NASA papers available from the 70's I think, detailing aero experiments on a box truck. Nothing they did at the front no matter how extreme matched the benefit of lightly fairing in the rear. I think they also started with a full aero tail and progressively chopped more and more of it off with little negative effect down to a couple of feet. Aero is fascinating and I wish I'd studied it.

Overview: Aerodynamic Truck Studies - https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/fs-100-afrc.pdf
A Reassessment of Heavy-Duty Truck Aerodynamic Design Features and Priorities - http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/pdf/88628main_H-2283.pdf
Drag Reduction Obtained by Modifying a Standard Truck - http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/pdf/87898main_H-977.pdf

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Powershift posted:

Belly tankers have been around since the 40s or 50s mate.
http://www.autoconcept-reviews.com/cars_reviews/gm/GM-belly-tank/cars_reviews-gm-belly-tank.html

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

What cars need is the ability to read your speed when in low gear, and when you release the brakes it maintains that speed as best it can with gear selection and engine braking. Seems like CVT's would be really good at it.

Page back but I can confirm that 2015 and higher Honda CR-Vs with the CVT standard do this. It is great when you are in cruise control, terrible when you aren't. You lift your foot off the accelerator when going downhill, expecting mild engine braking, and the CVT panics and aggressively engine brakes. Took some getting used to.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Geirskogul posted:

That's...that's the teeth for the flywheel out there unzipped, isn't it?

The big thing that got me about rotational energy is the phrase: "The faster you move, the heavier you get. The energy of motion turns into mass."

Yup. The flywheel is usually cast iron, the ring gear is steel, and merely pressed on. You can sometimes even freezer/oven the parts and slide it together. So when the flywheel splits in half and the halves want to assume a straight line path as quickly as possible, the ring gear really doesn't contain it very well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

skybolt_1 posted:

Page back but I can confirm that 2015 and higher Honda CR-Vs with the CVT standard do this. It is great when you are in cruise control, terrible when you aren't. You lift your foot off the accelerator when going downhill, expecting mild engine braking, and the CVT panics and aggressively engine brakes. Took some getting used to.

The earlier 2012-2014 (and probably the generation before that too) with the 5-speed does it too. Actually works perfectly coming down I17.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Overview: Aerodynamic Truck Studies - https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/fs-100-afrc.pdf
A Reassessment of Heavy-Duty Truck Aerodynamic Design Features and Priorities - http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/pdf/88628main_H-2283.pdf
Drag Reduction Obtained by Modifying a Standard Truck - http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/pdf/87898main_H-977.pdf

That's the one, I got some of the details correct :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd like to see the testing re-done in an era where the analysis isn't on pictures of cars with chunks of string taped to the side.

Not that their study and results are invalid just because they're old, but with modern simulations it seems like you could experiment with a lot more variants a lot more quickly.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Apparently there is a recall for this in US salt states, but not in canada. Because apparently your valve stem exploding and your tire rapidly losing air isn't a safety issue once you cross the 49th parallel.

Chrysler went out of their way to find an aluminum that turns to dust instantly in the presence of salt, and used it to make everything on the jeep liberty.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
My entire life has become fighting corroded TPMS stems.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I've been told by folks who work at dealerships that those TPMS modules never got sold up here, we only have those ABS module based inflation sensors. So maybe they weren't recalled up here because nobody has them unless they imported the car from the U.S?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nubile Hillock posted:

I've been told by folks who work at dealerships that those TPMS modules never got sold up here, we only have those ABS module based inflation sensors. So maybe they weren't recalled up here because nobody has them unless they imported the car from the U.S?

Nope, it's a canadian model 2008 jeep liberty.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Oh dear

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Problem identified.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Well there's at least one argument for using nitrogen in your tires instead of air.

...or at lest for getting a desiccant on your compressor.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Why in the gently caress did they make something as thin and delicate as a tire valvestem out of aluminum? I guess it must have saved a few cents over making it from brass or stainless.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well there's at least one argument for using nitrogen in your tires instead of air.

...or at lest for getting a desiccant on your compressor.

Those corrode from the outside in, even here in Florida I've sheared a couple and the threads were always pristine from the tire side and hella gunked up and siezed on the outside... side.

The small amount of water that could get inside a tire is nothing next to the rain, road grit, UV and (in places) salt combo that the outside sees.

Besides, all tires are filled 4/5 with nitrogen anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But that extra 1/5 means you get predictable pressure changes with temperature and gain microscopic fuel efficiency improvements!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Enourmo posted:

Besides, all tires are filled 4/5 with nitrogen anyway.

Yeah, atmospheric air is 90ish% nitrogen.
But, air from a compressor can contain a lot of moisture (depending on the temperature, and if you drain the tank) and if you don't have a desiccant on it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah, atmospheric air is 90ish% nitrogen.

78% is not "90ish%", I'd hazard a guess.

Costco puts nitrogen in anything they install and I've been getting my tires there. But I don't go out of my way to keep 'pure' nitrogen in there.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Wait, just get rid of the like 20% of oxygen out of the air on one side of the wheel? That seems like a whole lot of effort for not a lot of benefit

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The N2 molecule is a little bit bigger than the O2 molecule, results in a little less leakage over time which helps fuel economy as well.
e: by something like 2%... yeah I agree it's pretty pointless for 95% of cars on the road

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Maybe like long haul truckers would benefit, but that sounds entirely pointless for almost every other vehicle I can think of. Unless getting pure nitrogen is as simple as turning on a compressor, then emergency service and some commercial vehicles could benefit too, but yeahhhhhhh

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It is basically pointless and changes nothing unless you are a trucking firm with thousands of long haul truckers who get a very repeatable fuel economy number every time and log millions of miles a year combined. I drive 50k miles a year at ~$2.50/gallon gas and 24mpg.

Difference over the course of a year is apparently 1.3psi lost. N2 only lost 2.2psi, air lost 3.5psi. The EPA says you lose about 0.3% for every 1psi dropped... if I ran the entire year at 3.5psi low (let's ignore the fact that N2 still loses 2.2psi here) I'd reduce my fuel economy from 24mpg to 23.748mpg. That works out to a savings of 22 gallons of gas, or 55 bucks. If you take into account the fact that N2 tires still lose 2.2psi so the difference is actually only 1.3psi (and still ignore the fact that it'd be a gradual loss over the whole year, not running the whole year 1.3psi low) it'd be a savings of $21 per year.

And I'm an extreme case, I drive about 4x what the average driver does, in a car with worse fuel economy. And that's still assuming running the whole year 1.3psi low instead of a gradual loss over the course of a year or checking every month and refilling as needed.

Check your tires once a month. Now it literally does not measurably affect your fuel economy either way and you can refill at any gas station instead of having to pay more than you will even save in nitrogen topoff fees.

e: http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/should-you-fill-your-cars-tires-with-nitrogen.html

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

Maybe like long haul truckers would benefit, but that sounds entirely pointless for almost every other vehicle I can think of. Unless getting pure nitrogen is as simple as turning on a compressor, then emergency service and some commercial vehicles could benefit too, but yeahhhhhhh

Nitrogen is a waste product from some process for like welding gas or some other widely-produced chemical. If you have the facilities to accept and store it, it's cheap, and you can up sell it for way more than the cost.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
50k a year? holy poo poo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The real "holy poo poo" is the quote from the edmunds link:

quote:

The "nitrogen upgrade" was a $69 item on the supplemental window sticker. Another forum member later posted that his dealer was charging $179 for this same "upgrade."

Haha, what a bunch of dirtbags.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Nitrogen's not really a waste gas, but it is the most common gas produced in air liquefaction because, well, it's 78% of the atmosphere. If you condense/compress air you get 78% nitrogen, about 16-17% oxygen iirc, 1% argon (used for welding), and a couple hundred ppm of CO2 plus other traces like neon and methane. Common welding mixes are 75/25 Ar/CO2, 100% Ar, plus some helium and other specialty mixes. Helium is only found underground though, resulting from radioactive decay in rocks below nonpermeable rock formations that trap it. The N2 and O2 are products in their own right since they are widely used in industrial, scientific, and medical processes.

Other fun facts: almost all of the argon we have today comes from radioactive decay of some isotopes of potassium. The only reason we have it is because it's heavy enough to remain in the atmosphere, unlike helium, which escapes into outer space.

BraveUlysses posted:

50k a year? holy poo poo

The shortest my commute gets is 140 miles roundtrip, about 34k miles a year. If my GF and I carpool it becomes 173 roundtrip, around 43k a year. There are evenings where I come home from work after driving 70 miles there and 70 miles back, and just go hoon around on back roads for a couple hours, putting down another 50-80 miles for the hell of it. Add in the amount of driving I do on weekends and it easily hits 50k a year. I think I'm coming up on 300k miles driven lifetime now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I fill my tires with hydrogen so they are lighter and I go faster, (for a little ways anyway).