Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Phantasium posted:

The best friends bring up downloadable Ninja Turtles games and I can't remember if one of them was supposed to be at least okay because PS3 Out of the Shadows and Danger of the Ooze are both on sale on PSN.

I imagine the answer is "neither of them" but I don't recall.

I missed this earlier. Out of the Shadows is not very good and Danger of the Ooze is just a cash-in game for the tv series that was on Nick at the time and is pretty boring and lame. Idr the last time a fun Turtles game was made, but none of the offerings on PSN are really worth the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Baal posted:

I missed this earlier. Out of the Shadows is not very good and Danger of the Ooze is just a cash-in game for the tv series that was on Nick at the time and is pretty boring and lame. Idr the last time a fun Turtles game was made, but none of the offerings on PSN are really worth the money.

About what I figured, oh well.

Turtles in Time will always be a fun hour.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hoobajoo posted:

itt: why isn't everyone as good as me at every video game?

It is generally a good idea for an LPer to be halfway competent at a game they are playing if the game is at all the focus of the LP.

I haven't watched the Catherine LP though since it sounds kind of aggravating.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean it's been fun to listen to Woolie and Matt talk about their dirt, the only times it really got aggravating is Woolie's insistent knowledge upon the Japanese culture and even then it's fun to hear Matt's responses. I would say it's still fun, but there's problems.

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!
I don't mind him doing poorly or the idea of cutting attempts themselves, but I would like to see the good run in its totality. I imagine the rationale for late cutting there is that the commentary isn't any good when they're just retrying over and over.

I really like the Catherine LP, though, I enjoy the discussions and stories, even when they have misunderstandings about things.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Apropos of nothing, Matt was super correct about Tiny Toast cereal.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Not that that's why I'm watching in the first place, Catherine LP is the place to get some straight dirt.

don't know if you're using "straight" in the same way I am, but I agree

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Pretty much this lol.

The chickens represent things!

"I skipped over that puzzle and it didn't mean anything."

THEN YOUR MISSING OUT ON DEEP CHICKEN METAPHOR.

There's clearly a story and clearly some important pieces here and there but not *absolutely everything* has to have some deep meaning behind it.

Weird thing about this, watching the first part on Vessel Woolie actually DOES suck chicks up into the "wood chipper" and knock down the hay bale like you're supposed to. I'm not sure how Woolie & Matt completely failed to notice that and think he somehow knocked it down without the chicks.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They are tiny lil peepers

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Cutting boss content is worth complaining about. Not gonna dispute that.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Lmao the dudes during this Limbo 2 chat.

It's cool that they liked the mediocre game as much as they did, but BOY are they reading way too hard into just about everything they bring up.
All the "It's PERFECT" sentiments in the podcast were bizarre and alien to me. At no point during this mediocre platformer did I ever feel "perfection".
Wait, this is getting a whole LP? Yeesh.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
groundbreaking thought: people like different things

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

groundbreaking thought: people like different things

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I haven't watched Catherine but weren't people saying Woolie reassure people he was really good at the game before the videos started going up?

Phantasium posted:

The best friends bring up downloadable Ninja Turtles games and I can't remember if one of them was supposed to be at least okay because PS3 Out of the Shadows and Danger of the Ooze are both on sale on PSN.

I imagine the answer is "neither of them" but I don't recall.

Out of the Shadows is a bad but well-meaning brawler and Danger of the Ooze is an up-port of an unremarkable 3DS metroidvania by Wayforward.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

itt: why isn't everyone as good as me at every video game?

Blockhouse posted:

groundbreaking thought:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ugh, doublepost

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm sorry for not enjoying a game as much as everyone else did. It's not like I didn't try. But all the 10/10s and PERFECTs really set expectations for something better.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Undertale(as an example) has a 96% overwhelmingly positive rating on steam.

Sometimes you just happen to fall into the 4% who weren't blown away.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

HGH posted:

I'm sorry for not enjoying a game as much as everyone else did. It's not like I didn't try. But all the 10/10s and PERFECTs really set expectations for something better.

I know it can be frustrating to play something a large group of people seem to love and just have it do nothing for you but you have to accept sometimes that's how things are and move on

No game's going to be the same for everyone

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah. It's not like I even follow reviews that much, so I was skeptical at first, then more and more people I shared interests with came out to like it so I figured I'd like it as well.
I'm sure the LP will be fun at least, that was needlessly negative of me.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I haven't watched Catherine but weren't people saying Woolie reassure people he was really good at the game before the videos started going up?

That was me alone communicating what I took away from the panel at Too Many Games. v:shobon:v The hype is real?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

First eyes of heaven on vessel

man that OP has some real deep cuts

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 22, 2016

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I've only read half-through part 5, which parts will eyes of heaven spoil?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Stone Ocean (Part 6) definitely.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Depths posted:

I've only read half-through part 5, which parts will eyes of heaven spoil?

All of them except Part 8

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Pat already got something wrong, Kira got run over by an ambulence, not killed by a shard of glass.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

On the other hand, Pat's right, that IS the best part of the DIO fight.

e: also I'm gonna do it, I'm going to let go of the scan issues and just CHUG Vento Aureo and Stone Ocean. Then I'll be done outside of Jojolion (which I'll read when it ends).

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 22, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Rodyle posted:

I'm going to let go of the scan issues and just CHUG Vento Aureo and Stone Ocean. Then I'll be done outside of Jojolion (which I'll read when it ends).

Unless you already read it ahead of those two, there's also Steel Ball Run which is pretty easily a contender for best part. (In my and seemingly common enough general opinion anyway)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Unless you already read it ahead of those two, there's also Steel Ball Run which is pretty easily a contender for best part. (In my and seemingly common enough general opinion anyway)

I just finished it the other day, I felt okay passing the scanfucked parts because it's another universe (also because those are the least popular parts from what I can tell anyway?). I had mixed feelings! Cool stuff but didn't like it as much as DiU.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I just finished it the other day, I felt okay passing the scanfucked parts because it's another universe (also because those are the least popular parts from what I can tell anyway?). I had mixed feelings! Cool stuff but didn't like it as much as DiU.

Part 5 isn't very liked because the of the lifeless translation, in Japan it's one of the most popular parts. Part 6 is pretty divisive though (it's also not scanfucked).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Andrast posted:

Part 5 isn't very liked because the of the lifeless translation, in Japan it's one of the most popular parts.

My impression was also just that people generally don't like Giorno or Diavolo compared to the competition. Though yeah I know it's super popular in Japan (and by contrast I think I heard 6 is disliked there). I know 6 has its fans though, see: that post Baal is writing right now about how it's the best.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

My impression was also just that people generally don't like Giorno or Diavolo compared to the competition.

I think has a lot to do with the the translation removing most of the personality from Giorno at least.

Also, Part 6 owns.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Baal posted:

All of them except Part 8

Also they're completely out of order.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm reading through Part 6 right now and I can confirm: Part 6 owns.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I love that to at least some level, Part 6 as a whole is also a big middle finger because back in the day they wouldn't let Araki write Lisa Lisa as fighty as he wanted.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

didn't he also complain that even in Stone Ocean they put pressure on him?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
All JoJo parts are good, but also I feel that you should read JoJolion now because it's, as Woolie said, a mystery and it's fun to try and piece together stuff in the months between chapters and have a chance to look back and realize stuff before it finishes. Like there's a bit where someone harasses a surfer for seemingly no reason, two years later we find out that there's actually possibly a super important reason, or the harasser is just a jerk.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Oh thank god I was worried about them talking over how the leveling up works but Woolie knows. Good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

All JoJo parts are good, but also I feel that you should read JoJolion now because it's, as Woolie said, a mystery and it's fun to try and piece together stuff in the months between chapters and have a chance to look back and realize stuff before it finishes. Like there's a bit where someone harasses a surfer for seemingly no reason, two years later we find out that there's actually possibly a super important reason, or the harasser is just a jerk.

I like reading Jojo part by part. When 8 finishes I'll read it, then groundfloor 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rodyle posted:

I like reading Jojo part by part. When 8 finishes I'll read it, then groundfloor 9.

Fair enough, but we still got probably somewhere around four years of JoJolion