Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There wouldn't be such a big deal about this if Ghostbusters wasn't so crazy overrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

There wouldn't be such a big deal about this if Ghostbusters wasn't so crazy overrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssVAzlGdmnw

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As far as movies written by Dan Aykroyd go I certainly like The Blues Brothers better (in fact it is my favourite movie).

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
There were people in CineD who sincerely said Ghostbusters II is a better movie, and it's just like, gently caress you. I have my special love for it, but let's get real.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CineD is a competition to see who can say the stupidest poo poo about popular movies.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Aphrodite posted:

It's only the NO GIRLS club that made it a big deal. Without them it'd be treated with a shrug like all the other remakes have been (Robocop, Total Recall, etc).

And yeah, it's middling comedy that's massively over-rated.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In 50 years people will be citing BvS rather than Citizen Kane.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's only the NO GIRLS club that made it a big deal. Without them it'd be treated with a shrug like all the other remakes have been (Robocop, Total Recall, etc).

And yeah, it's middling comedy that's massively over-rated.

What I mean is it's both.

If they made like... Three Women and a Baby, nobody would care.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

They're remaking Magnificent Seven and nobody seems to care, although it could be because it's been ripped off so many times (and is itself a remake) that it doesn't matter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If it weren't an all-woman cast nobody would care. The only reason I even care is that the talent is really good and it's only a remake instead of a sequel because Bill Murray has some kinda hate-on for the franchise.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's probably tired of being asked if he's afraid of ghosts, and who he's going to call.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

He's probably tired of being asked if he's afraid of ghosts, and who he's going to call.

Bit of a Groundhog Day situation for him, you might say.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One time Bill Murray met a fan who told him his favorite Bill Murray movie is Rushmore. They talked for quite a while about the movie, Bill clearly excited because he rarely gets to talk about anything but Ghostbusters. As the conversation ended, the fan leaned in real close and whispered "Nobody will ever believe you" and then was on his way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how Ghostbusters might have been different if John Belushi had played Venkman.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Bit of a Groundhog Day situation for him, you might say.

That joke is a Royal Tenen-BOMB!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder how Ghostbusters might have been different if John Belushi had played Venkman.

Time traveling Ghostbusters in hell

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Aphrodite posted:

One time Bill Murray met a fan who told him his favorite Bill Murray movie is Rushmore. They talked for quite a while about the movie, Bill clearly excited because he rarely gets to talk about anything but Ghostbusters. As the conversation ended, the fan leaned in real close and whispered "Nobody will ever believe you" and then was on his way.

Deep cut

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They're remaking Magnificent Seven and nobody seems to care, although it could be because it's been ripped off so many times (and is itself a remake) that it doesn't matter.

I'd watch an all-women remake of Magnificent Seven.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Super Dan posted:

I'm surprised this isn't an Asylum movie called the Magnificent Fourteen.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Fallen Rib

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm surprised this isn't an Asylum movie called the Magnificent Fourteen.

The awesome baker's half dozen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Marvel right now on their SDCC stream is showing close ups of the Dr Strange costumes. Lots of cool detail in then, and Mordon has the Wand of Watoom, which is pretty cool.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nobody actually cares about remakes, the apathy is something Sony tried to combat with the all female cast. However since they lost out to the second week of a talking pet movie I'd say even internet breaking controversy can not shake the collective "I'll catch it on netflix" shrug of the general public towards 99.9% of remakes.

But Brand Recognition™ totally works guys.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

SirDan3k posted:

Nobody actually cares about remakes, the apathy is something Sony tried to combat with the all female cast. However since they lost out to the second week of a talking pet movie I'd say even internet breaking controversy can not shake the collective "I'll catch it on netflix" shrug of the general public towards 99.9% of remakes.

But Brand Recognition™ totally works guys.

You completely captured my thoughts on this whole thing better than I've ever been able to put into words. Thank you for this post.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Can someone point me towards an SNL sketch, a talk show appearance, any performance really, where Leslie Jones is actually funny? Admittedly, I've only seen a handful of SNL sketches she was in (certainly no more than ten or so) and she was aggressively unfunny. I'm willing to bet that she's got comedic talent seeing as how she's in the middle of a pretty solid run in her career right now, and maybe I have just coincidentally been exposed to her lesser performances. Her scenes in the trailer were absolutely loving awful, and it leaves me baffled as to how she has a career in comedy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Even people who hated the movie said she was the best of the central cast, and that the trailer does her serious disservice.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Lurdiak posted:

Even people who hated the movie said she was the best of the central cast, and that the trailer does her serious disservice.

Yeah, I saw the Half in the Bag review and they hated the movie but said that, oddly enough, she was better than the other cast members.

For the record, I hope the movie is hilarious and succeeds because 1. better comedy = more laffos and 2. gently caress MRAs forever. But I could go the rest of my life without ever hearing another sassy overweight black lady in a movie holler "AW HELL NAW"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah I mean I don't really ever hope a movie is bad. If BvS had been incredibly awesome to the point of redeeming Man of Steel I would've been stoked.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Happy Hippo posted:

Can someone point me towards an SNL sketch, a talk show appearance, any performance really, where Leslie Jones is actually funny? Admittedly, I've only seen a handful of SNL sketches she was in (certainly no more than ten or so) and she was aggressively unfunny. I'm willing to bet that she's got comedic talent seeing as how she's in the middle of a pretty solid run in her career right now, and maybe I have just coincidentally been exposed to her lesser performances. Her scenes in the trailer were absolutely loving awful, and it leaves me baffled as to how she has a career in comedy.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/cast/leslie-jones-15496

She's usually really good on Weekend Update in particular.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 23, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

I do not have a link to any Youtube video that is capable of significantly altering your brain chemistry.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I actually really don't like Leslie Jones on SNL but liked her in Ghostbusters. I think the thing is SNL is about playing a character and she's not really good at that. She's good at playing herself. She's naturally funny.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wheat Loaf posted:

As far as movies written by Dan Aykroyd go I certainly like The Blues Brothers better

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Super Dan posted:

:hellyeah:

Someone did a stage read of an all-female Glengarry Glen Ross, which would have been fascinating.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Blues Brothers 2000 is really, really bad, though. There's one bit at the end where all the musical guests are on stage playing "New Orleans" and it's like one of those jams they get aging stars to do at the Grammys every year. It looked really, really crappy. I've seen music videos that were made for about £1000 in 1979 that looked more professional.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Blues Brothers 2000 is really, really bad, though. There's one bit at the end where all the musical guests are on stage playing "New Orleans" and it's like one of those jams they get aging stars to do at the Grammys every year. It looked really, really crappy. I've seen music videos that were made for about £1000 in 1979 that looked more professional.

I really wanted BB2000 to be good even though I knew it wouldn't.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The way all the numbers are set makes it come off a lot like a pre-Oklahoma! musical, of all things. Like, in the first one, there's a token effort to justify the songs in the context of movie. You know, even stuff like Aretha Franklin breaking into song to admonish her husband or all the people outside Ray Charles's music store all dancing work according to the internal logic of the Blues Brothers universe, if that makes sense. But in the sequel, it's got stuff like John Popper going and gushing over Elwood and saying he'll go and get his band so they can play for him, then it cuts to Blues Traveler essentially doing a music video, if you get what I mean.

At this point the most siginificant legacy of the Blues Brothers is probably the House of Blues restaurant chain, because that basically created an entire circuit of small and mid-sized venues overnight just in time for the alternative bands that were breaking through in the early 1990s to capitalise on them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Bb2k is objectively a bad movie but i still think it's a lot of fun to watch. Helps that i actually like some of the numbers they do.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, the song choices and performances are fine.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
BB2K was on TV ALL THE TIME when I was a kid so I've seen it way more than the first one.

To this day when someone brings up the Blues Brothers I pretend l only know 2000 and will ask questions like "Who's your favorite? Mine's John.... (Goodman)."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm also a big fan of The Commitments.

In fact now I think about it, it might be slightly better.

• Locked thread