Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Putin is playing Civilization.
As the Huns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

A Pale Horse posted:

Russia may not be winning exactly but the destabilization of Europe is a good thing for them. Brexit may well be the beginning of the end of the EU, the failed possibly staged coup in Turkey may end up driving Turkey out of NATO and has certainly ended any aspirations of EU membership for them. The migrant crisis and stagnant economy are driving euroskeptic nationalism up and down the continent. There's also the matter of a seemingly endless deluge of terrorist attacks. These are all positives for Russia because they undermine liberalism and unity on the continent so despite their own problems I can see why they'd be optimistic.

The failure of liberalism and the EU isn't really useful for Russia though. It's useful for Putin and his kleptocracy as it eliminates alternatives to it - but it's not actually going to make Russians better off or raise their standard of living. It seems Russia is focused on simply being powerful without really formulating a vision for what to do with that power or an alternative system.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Anos posted:

The failure of liberalism and the EU isn't really useful for Russia though. It's useful for Putin and his kleptocracy as it eliminates alternatives to it - but it's not actually going to make Russians better off or raise their standard of living. It seems Russia is focused on simply being powerful without really formulating a vision for what to do with that power or an alternative system.

Putin is Russia effectively and to me at least it seems that the people of Russia are happy with that. It won't improve their standard of living per se but it fits perfectly with Putins nationalist message that Europe will be destroyed by liberalism and the weakness that that ideology engenders. It's fuel for his fire to see the stark right turn the continent is currently executing and will strengthen his power (not that it was particularly in danger to begin with). A collapsed EU also opens up many more avenues for exploitation for Russia in Europe. Who knows they could even become the new power hub for nationalist countries like Germany or the US are power hubs for liberal power now. The Russians appear to be more concerned with national power than with individual rights and freedoms or even quality of life.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
In other Balkan news, BiH Pokemon Go players are looking for rare pokemons in minefields now :v:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Truga posted:

In other Balkan news, BiH Pokemon Go players are looking for rare pokemons in minefields now :v:
Link to some article about that if you can because it sounds like a fun read.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.b92.net/info/vesti/index.php?yyyy=2016&mm=07&dd=19&nav_category=167&nav_id=1156765

A bit in english:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36841828

e: Liveleak has a translation of the b92 thing and more:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a19_1469030990&comments=1

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anos posted:

Wouldn't the Euroskeptic parties lift the trade sanctions on Russia?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Thanks.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Truga posted:

Heard about it on the radio the other day, rather shocking that 20 years later somewhere between 2.5 - 5 % of Bosnia is still hazardous due to mines, with floods moving mines to "safe" areas.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rincewinds posted:

Heard about it on the radio the other day, rather shocking that 20 years later somewhere between 2.5 - 5 % of Bosnia is still hazardous due to mines, with floods moving mines to "safe" areas.

We still find unexploded ordnance from 14-18 in northeastern France to this day... Here's a pic showing in blue all the conventional bombs and in red all the chemical bombs, remnant of WW1, found in France between 2008 and 2011. (Sorry, didn't find something more recent.)

15 tons of chemical weapons unearthed every year, to this day, over one century after the war. Industrial warfare fucks up the land something fierce.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've been to Bosnia a couple times since the war and it really pushes the point home when you go to the Bosna spring (I wanna say a few minutes past the Sarajevo airport, it's been a while now) and there's red boards with skulls on them everywhere suddenly.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Anos posted:

In some ways it is debatable, I think the Russian vision is actually quite clear which is to dominate the countries near it and their economies (Eursian Union)and to gradually tear the EU apart, an outcome which may eventually lead to an end of sanctions and an increase in bilateral trade with "friendly" European nations. To be fair, Russia was never going to join the EU, and Russia's alternative is a world where it has a significantly more political power and the rest of Europe is too divided to really stand up to it. To be fair, most Russians believe a weaker Russia is going to a less economically prosperous one.

That said, the problem with the Russian economy more than anything else is its addiction to oil/gas and it is unclear if any of this this would help. It is possible a weaker Europe is probably going to be more reliant on Russian gas and Putin probably hopes to eventually turn his political and military influence in the Middle East into some type of leverage on oil prices. Ultimately, more than anything the Russians need the Saudis to stop oversupplying the market and everything else is sort of a sideshow to that.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 21, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ardennes posted:

In some ways it is debatable, I think the Russian vision is actually quite clear which is to dominate the countries near it and their economies (Eursian Union)and to gradually tear the EU apart, an outcome which may eventually lead to an end of sanctions and an increase in bilateral trade with "friendly" European nations. To be fair, Russia was never going to join the EU, and Russia's alternative is a world where it has a significantly more political power and the rest of Europe is too divided to really stand up to it. To be fair, most Russians believe a weaker Russia is going to a less economically prosperous one.

I think the other goal is to reduce the West and his competition to oligarchic autocracies, because it's easier to negotiate with or bribe a single leader like Erdogan or Trump than it is to deal with democratic voters, parties, representatives, factions, etc.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Young Freud posted:

I think the other goal is to reduce the West and his competition to oligarchic autocracies, because it's easier to negotiate with or bribe a single leader like Erdogan or Trump than it is to deal with democratic voters, parties, representatives, factions, etc.

I guess you could say it is more "certain", once he owns someone it seems to stay that way. It is going to be interesting to see what happens in Italy (which may have a banking crisis/early elections) and France. it is likely both second round French presidential candidates (Sarkozy/Le Pen) are pro-Putin. Merkel and the CDU may not last in Germany either.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

jonnypeh posted:

30,000 soldiers is already better than a token professional force of 1,500 (even if supported by the home guard units). Give them quality MANPADS and ATGMs and the opponent will have something to think about.

No, it's not. The alternative to a corps of 1,500 professional, well equipped soldiers is not 30,000 professional, well-equipped soldiers - it's 30,000 useless conscripts who would only bog down any modern military operation by straining its supply lines. The NATO itself has been pushing for specialization of its minor forces, with its Centres of Excellence initiatives etc., not to mention the pretty much universally supported push to actually scrap as much of the Cold War era hardware left in Europe as possible (MBTs, APCs...) because it's a liability, not an asset.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Germany did it again.

http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/germany-just-got-a-bit-bigger

quote:

While you weren't paying attention, Germany just got a bit bigger. In the previous century, the central European country waged two wars to increase its territory. But some time in the past months or years, it gained about 500 square meters (5,382 sq. ft) without a single shot being fired. All thanks to the Kirnitzsch, a small river that forms part of Germany's border with the Czech Republic. As someone noticed last April, it changed course – to the advantage of the Germans.

The Kirnitzsch flows in the south-east of the German state of Saxony, in a picturesque, hilly area nicknamed Sächsische Schweiz (Saxon Switzerland), also the name of a National Park on the border with the Czech Republic.

As reported by the German magazine Der Spiegel, the change in the course of the river was noted by Rolf Böhm, who regularly wanders the area and keeps the local maps updated. Last April, he noted that a small loop in the course of the Kirnitzsch no longer existed – on a stretch where the course of the river marks the border between both countries.

Setting an administrative border in a river may seem like a good idea, but over time, rivers change course. Leaving governments to ponder: does the border follow the river, or stay as it was? The latter option is the preferred one for the U.S. states whose border runs along the Mississippi: zoom in on the map, and you go see little enclaves and exclaves on either side of the Big Muddy, marking its ancient course, and the present state borders (see also #178 and #208).

Judging by the firmness of the ground on the Kirnitzsch's former course, Böhm suspects the straightening to have happened as far back as 2013, when the area was last flooded. An oxbow is all that remains of the former riverbed. As a result, Germany has gained – and the Czech Republic has lost - an area of about 18 by 28 meters (60 by 90 feet). Böhm hopes his discovery will be duly validated by both governments.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Saxony, where even the rivers are nazis.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
"Blut und Boden" in action.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

No, it's not. The alternative to a corps of 1,500 professional, well equipped soldiers is not 30,000 professional, well-equipped soldiers - it's 30,000 useless conscripts who would only bog down any modern military operation by straining its supply lines. The NATO itself has been pushing for specialization of its minor forces, with its Centres of Excellence initiatives etc., not to mention the pretty much universally supported push to actually scrap as much of the Cold War era hardware left in Europe as possible (MBTs, APCs...) because it's a liability, not an asset.

Why would conscripts be useless in your opinion? A soldier with a rifle is more useful than no soldier. And training matters. Finland trusts them to operate tanks and APC-s, never mind what they have in Israel. In addition, none of the Baltic states are large enough to have to overly worry about supply lines. And are you trying to tell me conscripts are that useless that they do not know how to load a truck and drive it to places?

30,000 was just an example, Estonia has more than that in reserves. Lithuania and Latvia *should* be able to field more. Worst decision would be getting rid of conscription to only maintain a token expeditionary force to support American military ventures abroad in hopes that HRH Donald Trump will be sated enough to lend a hand.

quote:

...not to mention the pretty much universally supported push to actually scrap as much of the Cold War era hardware left in Europe as possible (MBTs, APCs...) because it's a liability, not an asset.

Yeah, I'm guessing politicians in large countries cut defense budgets because they are not threatened by anything, much less Russia. Luckily it's an opportunity for poor eastern european countries to hoard perfectly good tech sold cheap. I don't see how firepower and armor protection afforded by either of those things is a liability.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

jonnypeh posted:

Why would conscripts be useless in your opinion? A soldier with a rifle is more useful than no soldier. And training matters. Finland trusts them to operate tanks and APC-s, never mind what they have in Israel. In addition, none of the Baltic states are large enough to have to overly worry about supply lines. And are you trying to tell me conscripts are that useless that they do not know how to load a truck and drive it to places?

30,000 was just an example, Estonia has more than that in reserves. Lithuania and Latvia *should* be able to field more. Worst decision would be getting rid of conscription to only maintain a token expeditionary force to support American military ventures abroad in hopes that HRH Donald Trump will be sated enough to lend a hand.
Reservists are useful as a complement to the professional army, but having healthy reserves doesn't translate into having a larger standing peacetime army.

Budgets are going to be limited no matter what (though currently we are probably pushing against the bottom of what is feasible to spend on security in Europe), and it seems defense professionals have generally concluded that the best way to spend these monies is to focus on lean, highly specialized forces that complement each other in combat instead of having each and every country field a structurally complete, but mediocre force. I.e. some small and poor NATO countries may end up with no air force to speak of, but if it means that they can provide e.g. a top-class anti-chemical warfare brigade capable of filling this role for alliance-wide deployments, it's a net gain compared to the same country providing a handful of antiquated migs and T72s that wouldn't be used in actual combat anyway.

Also you talked about arming conscripts with MANPADs and sending them to the frontlines, not about letting them drive forklifts around a warehouse. That's very different. Also I'm not quite convinced those Finnish reservists would actually have much of a battlefield impact in case of a proper conventional war, even if some of them have been trained in operating heavy equipment. Maybe in a delaying deployment to allow allies to deploy themselves un-harassed, but if the defense of the country fell 100% on the shoulders of reservists after the professional force had been defeated, it would probably be more humane to surrender instead of sacrificing their lives.

jonnypeh posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing politicians in large countries cut defense budgets because they are not threatened by anything, much less Russia. Luckily it's an opportunity for poor eastern european countries to hoard perfectly good tech sold cheap. I don't see how firepower and armor protection afforded by either of those things is a liability.
It has little to do with politicians in this case, even the US military officials have been pushing for a development of the Common Security and Defence Policy / ESDP and its precursors for decades specifically to improve budget allocation by pooling resources (such as military hardware, training and manufacturing facilities) and eliminating surplus assets that are reducing defense flexibility in Europe. Every nation having its own inventory and its own procurement strategies leads to gross inefficiencies and sub-optimal asset composition.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
A few thousand professional soldiers maybe able to hold a port or an airfield from a sudden takeover, but for defending an entire country you might just as well not have an army. It's just not feasible without conscription. Professional armies are okay if you don't have actual borders to defend and only need your army for overseas deployments, though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Right, if your country is outside the Nato, but I still think that nato encourages moving away from conscription and towards modest reserves as long as the mutual defense commitment remains credible.

az
Dec 2, 2005

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Germany did it again.

River shouldn't have been so curvy if it didn't want to be straightened.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Reservists are useful as a complement to the professional army, but having healthy reserves doesn't translate into having a larger standing peacetime army.
I was talking about wartime army anyway. Because other than military exercises, why else would one call up reservists? Just so you don't get me wrong, I do mean that a professional force and a reserve of conscripts both have to exist. For clarification: conscription's purpose is to produce reserves for use in wartime.

quote:

Budgets are going to be limited no matter what (though currently we are probably pushing against the bottom of what is feasible to spend on security in Europe), and it seems defense professionals have generally concluded that the best way to spend these monies is to focus on lean, highly specialized forces that complement each other in combat instead of having each and every country field a structurally complete, but mediocre force. I.e. some small and poor NATO countries may end up with no air force to speak of, but if it means that they can provide e.g. a top-class anti-chemical warfare brigade capable of filling this role for alliance-wide deployments, it's a net gain compared to the same country providing a handful of antiquated migs and T72s that wouldn't be used in actual combat anyway.
In the light of already insufficient capabilities that sounds wasteful, but so do antiquated Migs and T72s. Estonia bought three brand new minesweepers in 2006, supposedly to be useful to NATO (I doubt the major navies of NATO lack(ed) minesweepers), but that money could have bought plenty of javelins or stingers that would be useful in case poo poo hits the fan.

quote:

Also you talked about arming conscripts with MANPADs and sending them to the frontlines, not about letting them drive forklifts around a warehouse. That's very different. Also I'm not quite convinced those Finnish reservists would actually have much of a battlefield impact in case of a proper conventional war, even if some of them have been trained in operating heavy equipment. Maybe in a delaying deployment to allow allies to deploy themselves un-harassed, but if the defense of the country fell 100% on the shoulders of reservists after the professional force had been defeated, it would probably be more humane to surrender instead of sacrificing their lives.
One does not exclude the other and I brought up the Finns because they obviously consider conscripts competent enough to man something more complicated. The idea is that professional troops are not left to do the job on their own and therefore less likely to be defeated, precisely why conscription is necessary and what Nenonen said.

quote:

It has little to do with politicians in this case, even the US military officials have been pushing for a development of the Common Security and Defence Policy / ESDP and its precursors for decades specifically to improve budget allocation by pooling resources (such as military hardware, training and manufacturing facilities) and eliminating surplus assets that are reducing defense flexibility in Europe. Every nation having its own inventory and its own procurement strategies leads to gross inefficiencies and sub-optimal asset composition.
The term 'surplus assets' may vary, for example Netherlands selling all it's tanks to form a joint battalion with Germany. And NATO is weaker as a result. Reminds me of the policies of the ministry of interior of Estonia: "let's cut the budget even more so they will think of innovative new ways to police effectively", and then it will take a while for the police to show up. "your things were stolen? have you tried taking them back?"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

jonnypeh posted:

I was talking about wartime army anyway. Because other than military exercises, why else would one call up reservists?

Looking at France, you call up reservists when your politicians keep expecting to use the army everywhere both in-country and abroad while at the same time slashing budget and downsizing because Austeriteus Vult.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/AlRFORCEFREAK/status/756560065864302593

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

jonnypeh posted:

Latvia has not.

30,000 soldiers is already better than a token professional force of 1,500 (even if supported by the home guard units). Give them quality MANPADS and ATGMs and the opponent will have something to think about.

No they really won't. They'll be hit by artillery and cruise missiles and die in the thousands.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

No they really won't. They'll be hit by artillery and cruise missiles and die in the thousands.

What exactly prevents the larger force from being dispersed?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Rotacixe posted:

Reality is Civ 5.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rotacixe posted:

Latvia.

Seriously, the whole country is about the size of West Virginia. A T-90 can drive from the border to the coast in about less than 7 hours, or be in Riga within 3 hours.

In the event of a Russian invasion Latvian army would likely have to pull a Romanian bridgehead maneuver that the Poles did during WW2 and evacuate in the face of superior numbers to a friendly country so they can continue to fight in exile.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Young Freud posted:

Latvia.

Seriously, the whole country is about the size of West Virginia. A T-90 can drive from the border to the coast in about less than 7 hours, or be in Riga within 3 hours.

In the event of a Russian invasion Latvian army would likely have to pull a Romanian bridgehead maneuver that the Poles did during WW2 and evacuate in the face of superior numbers to a friendly country so they can continue to fight in exile.

The neighbors won't prevent Latvian troops from manoeuvering...

Still, spreading a force of pretty homogenous conscripts over a larger area seems like a recipe for letting a force of crack enemy soldiers to pick them off.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Russia to develop their own version of Pokemon Go.

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/moscow-authorities-to-launch-their-own-version-of-pokemon-go-54716

quote:

Moscow City Hall has announced the launch of its own version of online game “Pokemon Go.” Russians will be asked to find and "catch" historical figures in the streets of the capital via an app called “Know Moscow.Photo.”

The game, which is due to be released in August, will use the augmented reality technology of “Pokemon Go,” to allow users to capture historical characters on real-life backgrounds with their smartphone cameras. “By the end of August, people will be able to catch and take a selfie with [deceased Russian rock musician] Viktor Tsoi, Yury Gagarin, Alexander Pushkin, Pyotr Chaikovsky, [founder of the first Russian university] Mikhail Lomonosov, Ivan the Terrible, Peter the Great, Napoleon Bonaparte and the tsar Aleksei Mikhailovich,” the Moscow government website announced Monday.

“Pokemon Go,” the latest online game by Nintendo, went viral days after it was released in the United States, Australia and New Zealand on July 6. Its official release in Russia has been postponed indefinitely due to server capacity problems, although thousands of Russians have downloaded the game using accounts registered abroad.

“Pokemon Go” has been subject to criticism from both pro-Kremlin politicians and traditionalist forces in Russia. Some officials have condemned the app as “dangerous” and “eroding morale,” while several patriotic organizations called for the game to be banned. State-owned television channel Rossiya 24 also recently aired report explaining how Russians could be committing criminal offenses while playing the game.

Can't wait to find all three False Dmitrys!

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Can't wait for the NKVD 1936г DLC :ussr:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Xerxes17 posted:

What? Your LENIN is evolving!
Congratulations! Your LENIN evolved into STALIN! Please use the app to report on your family members!

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Xerxes17 posted:

Wild Leon Trotsky appeared!

Items -> Ice Pick

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Speaking of apps and surveillance, Meduza has translated their horrifying article about the unholy union of the coding nerds, amoral enterpreneurs and police state in cyberpunk Russia:

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2016/07/14/the-end-of-privacy

quote:

"Does this mean everybody is under control now?" the Internet show's host asked. "What if someone takes a picture of a man leaving an expensive boutique? His whereabouts could be traced, and the wrongdoers could ambush and mug him."

"We realized there might be violations of the law. But God's law is the priority. Our application creates lots of [more] acceptable opportunities."

"What can you do if you don't want to be in a global database?"

"You should ask yourself why you don't want to be there in the first place."

"What if I still don't want to?"

"You can pay for a premium account."

quote:

Perlin often uses the Russian equivalent for "cool": "identifying porn actresses is fun and kind of cool"; "it's cool to do something good on a global level"; "it's cool to see pictures of some celeb who's been hacked." He confesses that he liked browsing through Super.ru, a recently closed online tabloid (now a part of Life.ru).

quote:

"I don't give a hoot. I discuss all kinds of things on social networks. Let the feds read about my sex life and girlfriends. Business correspondence? Let them find out how much I make and who my customers are. I am genuinely convinced that no one is interested. Privacy is overrated. It's no big deal to gain access to someone's phone, so let the secret services read my conversations."

After receiving words of gratitude from the police, Perlin admits that he's become "somewhat of a megalomaniac." He is now keen on solving "global problems," such as locating missing persons. "I'll find great moral satisfaction in adding such functionality to every social network," he says. "I'll have the right to say I didn't just make some money—I solved a global problem. I could get away with murder after achieving something like that. Cool, ain't it?”

yospos bithc

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Russia to develop their own version of Pokemon Go.

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/moscow-authorities-to-launch-their-own-version-of-pokemon-go-54716

Can't wait to find all three False Dmitrys!

Legendary Pokemon Vladimir Putin

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Think of the frenzy this will cause with the geolocation people. Brown Moses will go nuts!

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Also, I would have thought a no-brainer name for the app would have been "Potemkin-Go!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

gently caress, double-post.