Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Polygon is actually good and cool to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Travis343 posted:

Their longform stuff is interesting, you don't often run across actual gaming journalism.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Travis343 posted:

Counterpoint: Arthur Goose.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Polygon is like one step away from actually being really good.

But it has like Griffin and Nick Robinson which is the cutest gaming couple so it beats every other site hands down.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Ok I do love that duo. I'm sorry guys, I was wrong.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Phil Koller, guys

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Polygon's written articles put me right to sleep but they put out top-notch audio/video content so I just chalk it up to having great/funny staff that are better at speaking & performing than writing.
Like I have read multiple reviews by Griffin and Justin that did nothing for me but then Monster Factory is the funniest game video series in existence (gamegrumps eat your hearts out).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

misadventurous posted:

Polygon's written articles put me right to sleep but they put out top-notch audio/video content so I just chalk it up to having great/funny staff that are better at speaking & performing than writing.
Like I have read multiple reviews by Griffin and Justin that did nothing for me but then Monster Factory is the funniest game video series in existence (gamegrumps eat your hearts out).

Have you ever read Justin writing about a game he absolutely hated? The tie-in to the new Ghostbusters movie is the most recent example but there's a few of them.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
McElroys aside, Polygon is to Kotaku as Target is to WalMart. They're both functionally the same thing, but Polygon tends to be higher quality, and not quite as gross. Griffin and Justin feel almost entirely separate from it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

Have you ever read Justin writing about a game he absolutely hated? The tie-in to the new Ghostbusters movie is the most recent example but there's a few of them.

"If you fall in combat, one of your fellow ghostbusters will rush to your side and return you to life. You will curse them, and think fondly on the moments you spent in the icy embrace of oblivion and the grim, too-brief respite it provided from having to play Ghostbusters."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I'm partial to

quote:

You could, of course, replay the levels you finished with different characters to keep their skills in line. But considering one crash that cost me 20 minutes of progress nearly sent me into a crying jag, I'd sooner throw my PS4 into a wood chipper and eat the ensuing game dust than spend one minute longer playing Ghostbusters than I have to.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
What the hell was the alternate name of cornhole Griffin was obsessed with in this latest Rosebuddies?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I think it was Baggo which, coincidentally, is also the name of my wonderful son.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
baggo and cornhole often go hand in hand if you're having a good night

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SpacePig posted:

McElroys aside, Polygon is to Kotaku as Target is to WalMart. They're both functionally the same thing, but Polygon tends to be higher quality, and not quite as gross. Griffin and Justin feel almost entirely separate from it.

I think it's cool that they do stuff like make their methods known, or release things like Quality Control. Other games sites seem a bit shady in comparison. They even have an ethics statement:

http://www.polygon.com/pages/ethics-statement

As far as the McElroys forming McElnet or whatever, it seems kinda unnecessary, like others have said. I'd hate for the Griffin / Nick combo to be broken up, same as #Stonerz.

Actually, Nick may be a good candidate for 'Till Death Do Us Blart should something dreadul occur.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Polygon is fine aside from that incredibly douchey Microsoft sponsored documentary about starting their website they did and Arthur Geese, who sucks.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Speaking of Polygon, I've just discovered Besties. This is pretty amazing.

Particularly interesting to hear their fresh opinions on games that have become enduring Things and those that have been largely forgotten.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Didn't Griffin and Justin help start Polygon? Justin's stepped back from his major role of course, but if you say you want them to have their own website, they kind of already do.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah basically, Justin was there at launch, i think. Griffin was involved long enough he was around when it was named :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=potlb5d2y8w

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Would asking why Arthur Gies is so bad be a derail? Because the few people that have commented have also said Gies is bad, and I'd like to know why without having to go to GameFAQs or some MRA website, which is basically all the comes up in a search.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

He's a professional douchebag who basically acts like every pretentious knows-more-than-you-even-though-he-actually-doesn't prick ever. It's worse because he's editor-in-chief of the website (if I remember correctly) so determines the website's creative direction.

One of his more infamous comments (but there's a whole bunch, he does this quite literally all the time) was during the SimCity fiasco, when people were alleging that the "Always online" portion was, in fact, barely-disguised DRM that was not necessary to play the game. EA responded that the city simulation was so intense that it needed EA's servers to compute, and Arthur then commented "If you think that SimCity doesn't need to be online, you literally don't know what you're talking about". Then like a day later a hack got released that made it so SimCity could run offline. Gies never issued an apology or correction, especially since he spent literally hours (you can find the whole thread on twitter) telling people who told him that he was wrong that they're idiots who don't know what they're talking about. That's basically his whole deal, he's a professional poo poo-stirrer who doesn't actually know anything but automatically approaches every situation with "The public is wrong, the corporation is right".

That's basically Arthur Gies. He has absolutely nothing but contempt for the consumers and his readership, always takes the corporations' side on everything, then haughtily talks down to anyone who disagrees with him despite being a complete and utter know-nothing. A good example is how Polygon got seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars to make a Microsoft documentary and Gies still pretends like Polygon has absolutely any legitimacy whatsoever when it comes to Microsoft coverage despite the obvious conflict of interest and that anyone who points out that the website was literally funded by Microsoft when it was starting is, in fact, some sort of troll.

Gies and Kuchera are two of the worst if not the two worst people in the games journalism industry and they both work for Polygon and determine the site's creative direction very directly, especially its written content. The McElroys, Phil Kollar, and Nick Robinson are basically operating a Giant Bomb Lite within the bounds of the website, but the site itself is insufferably poor and prone to the very worst excesses of contemptuous "I'm going to patronize the audience" thinkpieces.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 22, 2016

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Gies gave the original Diablo 3 a 10, which I don't think even Blizzard would agree is right.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That's basically the long and short of it. Arthur Gies also being so unapologetically horrid in every way throws its entire "Review scores are fluid" ethos into doubt, since all reviews go through him and he's such a loving shitheel in every way it's hard not to see the review score changing more as a reflection of Gies himself, who's a dude who basically says intentionally incendiary, uninformed comments then walks them back after the damage has been done and he's been disproven with no recognition of earlier fault. So you get a SimCity review that was scored 9.5, then 8, then 4, then 6.5, and it's hard not to see (especially when the editor-in-chief is so publicly supporting EA in a way that feels actively disingenuous in how incendiary he's been) it as a way to piss off, and then kowtow to, public opinion. It's not honest, it's just a reflection of Gies' mentality - that consumers are idiots, Polygon knows better, and to never ever apologize or admit mistake.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Toxxupation posted:

Gies and Kuchera are two of the worst if not the two worst people in the games journalism industry

Those are some pretty hard stones to throw at people best described as "moderately unlikable with some bad opinions," especially given how much worse a lot of people have shown they are in the last few years

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SpacePig posted:

Would asking why Arthur Gies is so bad be a derail? Because the few people that have commented have also said Gies is bad, and I'd like to know why without having to go to GameFAQs or some MRA website, which is basically all the comes up in a search.

He's a game reviewer that a bunch of basement dwellers have a vendetta against so I think it's safe to say that he committed the mortal sin of either liking a game they disliked or disliking a game they liked.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
He's kinda humorless,boring, and doesn't seem interested in playing along with Griffin's nonsense in the quick looks I've seen that pair the two. I don't have anything against him personally though

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

He's a professional douchebag who basically acts like every pretentious knows-more-than-you-even-though-he-actually-doesn't prick ever.

it's weird to sign your posts at the very beginning of them

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Guy Mann posted:

He's a game reviewer that a bunch of basement dwellers have a vendetta against so I think it's safe to say that he committed the mortal sin of either liking a game they disliked or disliking a game they liked.

ehh, there's always some of that but Gies has earned his rep too. I usually don't find his writing that engaging. He's better when he's talking about something adjacent to games than when he's actually talking about games. He seems to have his position out of necessity, in a way: he's certainly not the most talented person there, but he's not bad and someone has to handle all the poo poo nobody likes to do like making publishers happy.

So yeah, Gies isn't a great writer and I'd take his reviews with a grain of salt, but the fact of the matter is most places need people like him to keep the lights on. People who complain about Gies and all the sins he has committed against ethics in games journalism have issues with standard models of the industry, ones that are certainly flawed and deserve criticism. I'm just not sure he deserves the vitriol.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Polygon is a garbage website outside of McElroy content imo. I have absolutely no desire to read/watch anything else there and the layout is unbelievably atrocious.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

flatluigi posted:

Those are some pretty hard stones to throw at people best described as "moderately unlikable with some bad opinions," especially given how much worse a lot of people have shown they are in the last few years

Ehh, Kuchera is pretty straight up awful but yeah the Gies stuff is a bit overblown. Gies is pretty average when it comes to the landscape of game journalists.

^^^The layout used to be the best thing about Polygon.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Alaois posted:

it's weird to sign your posts at the very beginning of them

holy poo poo

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
New Monster Factory hot of the presses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQVlGrwG9yo

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/756574235632340993
SRTT is basically such a perfect match for monster factory I'm kind of amazed they hadn't done it yet.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
iirc isn't 2's creator supposed to be better featured than 3's?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ImPureAwesome posted:

iirc isn't 2's creator supposed to be better featured than 3's?

2 has the gender slider and a few other decent advantages over 3 but 2 is also almost unplayable on pc without some modding. I'm assuming 3 was easier to get rolling.

Plus 3 is more fun to play

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Yeah, 3 is a lot more fun to gently caress around in. What was wrong with 2 on PC, though? I don't remember any problems at all, much less it being "almost unplayable".

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, 3 is a lot more fun to gently caress around in. What was wrong with 2 on PC, though? I don't remember any problems at all, much less it being "almost unplayable".

Without GOTR, 2 on PC is rife with glitches on account of a bad port job.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Saint's Row 3 does a couple of things that limit character creation like having less clothing layers and massively different male/female skeletons, but it's more modern and runs on PC better.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm actually kind of surprised by how much Griffin seems to not like Saints Row in that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

flatluigi posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised by how much Griffin seems to not like Saints Row in that video.

Tbh I kinda get how that can happen. SR2 was a fantastic 'counter' to GTA's tone, but then you had it gradually go from 'ok we're pretty much GTA but we have a more experimental tone to stuff' to 'HAHA POOP TOILET I SAID DILDO!'. I like SR and by now I'm just burnt out and tired of it.

I'm Grimace and I'm here to beat rear end