Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

DOOP posted:

the pursuer sucks and is the main reason why the lost bastille sucks
Them's fightin' words. :colbert: Having the Pursuer show up again as a miniboss owns as a means to surprise you and to measure your progress since FoFG.

Geop, if you like using the bow, you should try buying a pile of Wood Arrows. Lenigrast sells them at 10 souls each, so grabbing several hundred to last you hours of playtime is nearly trivial.

Update on the previous page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

Geop, if you like using the bow, you should try buying a pile of Wood Arrows. Lenigrast sells them at 10 souls each, so grabbing several hundred to last you hours of playtime is nearly trivial.
just u wait

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Hey, you met Lucatiel! She's one of my favorite NPCs in the Souls games. Strange that you got her to start the second conversation with her.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 22, 2016

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

Hey, you met Lucatiel! She's one of my favorite NPCs in the Souls games. Strange that you got her to start the second conversation with her.

That would be because he already met her in pirate town. That's why Geop recognized her in this video.

sharkbeard
Jun 24, 2013

Completely Unamused
So it turns out the pursuer keeps coming back to pursue you. Who knew.

I only ever really had issue with him in one particular area that's a bit later on. But beyond being an 'another dude in armor', I really like the fights with him.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Pursuer is why another dude in armor isn't necessarily a bad thing in a game that "fighting a dude in armor" is what it's best at. The pursuer fights are good fun.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Jalathas posted:

That would be because he already met her in pirate town. That's why Geop recognized her in this video.

Whoops, I think I missed a video then. Sorry :doh:

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I never noticed that item above where the kicking barrel dude is on the stairs. Now I'll have to watch the next few episodes to find out what it is. Probably a lifegem or equally common.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Pursuer: He pursues you.

And is kind of a dick.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
How could this update not be called Who let the dogs out?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Phuzun posted:

I never noticed that item above where the kicking barrel dude is on the stairs. Now I'll have to watch the next few episodes to find out what it is. Probably a lifegem or equally common.

:thumbsup:

Also I like the aesthetic of the Lost Bastille, it's eerily tranquil.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DOOP posted:

the pursuer owns and is the main reason why the lost bastille owns

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I was really hoping geop/Goonther whomped Pursuer 2: The Revenge immediately so that the entire thread makes comparisons to Lu Bu in Dynasty Warriors and Goonther for the rest of the LP. Maybe another time when he's using a pole-arm of some kind

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fabulousvillain posted:

I was really hoping geop/Goonther whomped Pursuer 2: The Revenge immediately so that the entire thread makes comparisons to Lu Bu in Dynasty Warriors and Goonther for the rest of the LP. Maybe another time when he's using a pole-arm of some kind
And here I was trying to think of a way to make the thread even worse. Good job!

One thing that strikes me weird with Lucatiel: she's undead, she's afraid of going Hollow and she hands you a humanity.

Anyhow, I like Pursuer Redux. He's a good fight and this is a great little gently caress you to the people who managed to cheese him with the ballista. Gotta learn his moves anyway, chump.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
As seen from her face compared to Goonthers, her Hollowing is rather more gradual.

I mean, when your phantom can take like 20-30 hits from a boss that curse has really gotta WORK to take you over.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I was pissed that the Pursuer showed up again, but it was here that i finally learned how to fight him solo (i cheesed the boss encounter with phantoms) and it made the area much more fun for me. It's a legit shock when you see that rear end in a top hat come back and he normally surprises you while you're fighting the dogs.

And he's completely optional, as Geop saw he disappears if you ever change rooms. Not very good about this pursuing business, in the end.

edit: Holy gently caress i never knew about that ladder on the side of Lucatiel's tower. :aaaaa:

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 22, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

One thing that strikes me weird with Lucatiel: she's undead, she's afraid of going Hollow and she hands you a humanity.

Yeah that is weird. Why do you think she did that?

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Looper posted:

Yeah that is weird. Why do you think she did that?

Because she didn't have a weird old lady tell her how they work?

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Or maybe she really really likes Goonther? This is your chance! Go get her! Ask her out! There's that one bonfire near the beginning of Heide's tower that has a great view. You even cleared the place out earlier so you can be alone. It's perfect!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Geop posted:

just u wait

I got 999 problems but lack of arrows ain't one

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Percy waving hello again in the Bastille is the best thing Scholar added.

He does indeed gently caress off when you run away too far; I suspect he didn't spawn at first because Geop went out of the tower, Percy spawned, then Geop went into the tower again to lure the dogs in, and off-screen, Percy said gently caress that noise. They very probably did that because the areas he shows up in were not designed as boss arenas, so you could easily go, for example, into the tower and cheese him from there. Instead he fucks off.

It's a little weird that going off the grass does the same but oh well.

Nuramor posted:

Because she didn't have a weird old lady tell her how they work?
She explicitly says she has no idea what an Effigy does. Goonther can't tell her because he's mute. It's tragic.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Simply Simon posted:

She explicitly says she has no idea what an Effigy does. Goonther can't tell her because he's mute. It's tragic.

I like to imagine a situation where Goonther was undead at the time, and while she's talking about not knowing what it is, Goonther just crams it into his chest and becomes normal again, just to hear what old timey version of "what THE HELL did you just DO?!" she'd come up with

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I remember demonstrating effigies to her on multiple occasions hoping she'd watch and learn.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

IGgy IGsen posted:

I remember demonstrating effigies to her on multiple occasions hoping she'd watch and learn.

This is not the game for that kind of (npc) behavior, kid!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Percy is my favorite mini-boss in DS2. He' s a heavy hitter and he's not a quitter. He might've taken a loss before, but he's getting better and better every day!

anilEhilated posted:

Anyhow, I like Pursuer Redux. He's a good fight and this is a great little gently caress you to the people who managed to cheese him with the ballista. Gotta learn his moves anyway, chump.

I fervently object to the notion that spacing Percy in front of the ballista's narrow hit box and close enough to run to the ballista itself before the parry animation wears off is a cheesy maneuver.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 22, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ballista-ing Pursuer is only cheesy if you do it by distracting him with a summon instead of whomping him with a shield and then scurrying around to shoot him.

Bonus if you kill your summon. Whenever I'm Phantoming it up to help out with Pursuer to grind some souls on a new PC, I always lead him into the ballista to smash them so the host can't kill me with the drat things.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Ballista-ing Pursuer is only cheesy if you do it by distracting him with a summon instead of whomping him with a shield and then scurrying around to shoot him.

Bonus if you kill your summon. Whenever I'm Phantoming it up to help out with Pursuer to grind some souls on a new PC, I always lead him into the ballista to smash them so the host can't kill me with the drat things.

I just bee-line to the ballistae. If it works I kill the pursuer, if I kill the host then that's just funny and if the pursuer destroys them then I get to have fun fighting him.

Though lately I've had bad luck getting summoned for the bossfight - usually I drop my sign at the bonfire and invariably the host will have 1 other buddy there and wants to kill the pursuer on that platform just outside AND go kill the giant.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

NGDBSS posted:

At least a few of them would throw pyromancy on the original version, though for obvious reasons they'd be more prone to toss it when you were at range.

I was surprised that it took the Pursuer so long to show up in the courtyard. His spawn trigger is somewhere around the opposite end, so by his nature he's designed to catch you off guard if you're fighting the dogs and being unwary. But luckily, while wandering "out of bounds" will despawn him it's possible to respawn him by resetting at a bonfire. And this sort of thing was the original plan for the Pursuer, that by showing up beyond just the Forest of Fallen Giants he would be legitimately pursuing you. It should also be noted that this particular spawn started out with the red-eyed glow, and that's not just for show.

I think he only starts spawning up after you open the door--I figure the game expects you to already have worked out the barrel thing and is being 'nice'

That said, contrary to what the other guys in the video said, there is a reason drop down where that archer did at the beginning.

The pursuer is a really easy bossfight once you learn how to fight him--which is good, because you get a -lot- of practice in SofTS. And he usually drops some nice stuff in addition to souls.

Edit: Don't know if this will help Geop, as he relies more on his shield, but my main tactic is abusing recovery frames--the enemies', that is. I don't heal or attack unless they just missed me, because they can't do anything until they get back to a neutral stance.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 22, 2016

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Wow that statue is a kick in the dick. Are all the new ones that irritatingly placed? Pursuer popping up in various areas is kinda nice. It's not too difficult of a boss and it fits the narrative of the hunter that is actively pursuing you better than it did pre scholar.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I wonder if the 'it looks like you' part of Human Effigies might not actually be just fluff - maybe not everyone can use the ones the player uses. It could be that Goonther's wandered past tons of people with different-'shaped' effigies in their pockets and ignored them because they didn't 'fit' him.

Either that, or yeah, Lucatiel's doing something weird.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

PSWII60 posted:

Wow that statue is a kick in the dick.

I'm pretty sure, depending on how you enter the Bastille and whether you figure out/don't screw up the barrel thing, you can end up trapped with no way out save homeward bones or suicide by gravity. It is a contender for dickiest statue addition, definitely.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You always have the darksign.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PSWII60 posted:

Wow that statue is a kick in the dick. Are all the new ones that irritatingly placed? Pursuer popping up in various areas is kinda nice. It's not too difficult of a boss and it fits the narrative of the hunter that is actively pursuing you better than it did pre scholar.

There are a couple gently caress yous with them but that's the worst.

quote:

You always have the darksign.

Yes, indeed. :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The Pursuer being a massive dick is probably my second favourite Scholar change. I imagine that'd be different if I actually played this version, but watching playthroughs and "oh no here he is again" just makes me laugh.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Wonderslug posted:

I'm pretty sure, depending on how you enter the Bastille and whether you figure out/don't screw up the barrel thing, you can end up trapped with no way out save homeward bones or suicide by gravity. It is a contender for dickiest statue addition, definitely.
I think coming in from the other way gives you a branch now, actually.

It is actually possible to open the "doesn't open from this side" door - you can apparently shoot the barrels blocking it from outside the tower. Never done it (because it is pretty pointless), but seen a video.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Night10194 posted:

It's even better when you're the phantom and you accidentaly kill the host. I may or may not have done that. More than one time.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Frionnel posted:

It's even better when you're the phantom and you accidentaly kill the host. I may or may not have done that. More than one time.

"Accidentally"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

And thus, the Mound Makers were born.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
decided to jump back in to the game since geop is doing this lp and all and man i forgot how much running around there is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.
I'm amazed that Geop handled that area so well the first time. I guess White-Glint-Wannabe only shows up after you do something else. Which I did so I got mobbed immediately when I went in this way lately. I approached from the other end first.

Hey I heard Dark Souls was all about being really hard for no good reason, so let's shove a bunch of dogs and crossbow snipers and a boss-turned-miniboss all in one area. Oh and the snipers don't take fall damage even though that same fall would take off a good deal of your health. Oh and they also have greatswords that hit really hard too. gently caress this game.

DOOP posted:

the pursuer sucks and is the main reason why the lost bastille sucks

Nah, though that does get old really loving fast. What makes the Lost Bastille suck is how this entire area is basically made of :zergrush: now.

It had some pretty offensive enemy rush moments in the base game too, but Scholar makes the area do it way more, and that's terrible.

That new statue is also almost a mercy, really. What was beyond that door was nothing but terrible even originally. "From what are you doing, please stop."

It's a shame because the area does have some clever somewhat hidden branches to it that you can potentially just completely walk past. But it's kinda hamstrung by Dark Souls 2 encounter design. And a few other Dark Souls 2 weirdness, namely the exploding barrel thing.

• Locked thread