Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The good old days of coke and brandy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

And so many amphetamines people died at the top of mountains

Ah the good old days

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What's the deal with full body suits being outlawed by the UCI? Jens was talking about super tall shoe covers Dumoulin or Bardet (can't remember) used to get around as much of the rule as possible.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's just not a real tour unless someone dies.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Hegay posted:

*all the former US Postal and Discovery fans* Actually, Team Sky is legit and it's totally normal that riders somehow turn into world beaters when they join them

Ha, I missed this the first time round

The mythical Schrödinger's poster, simultaneously only having starting watching 4 years ago whilst also being a fan of USP and discovery

Good one

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
So Froome is basically head and shoulders better than everyone else in the Tour de France regardless of the stage or terrain?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Still a better tour than 2014 when Nibali won it by 8 minutes and you had Pinot on the podium.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
It's more like Peanut said. Financial doping, where sky have a much bigger budget than other teams and can afford to stack their tour team with great riders who would be gc guys for most teams. They then waste themselves on rotation so that froome doesn't have to work so hard. Since they hit the first mountains, every other team has said that they can't attack because team sky are setting a constant high pace uphill. There isn't that margin of effort available to create an attack and make it stick.

Other teams like Astana and Tinkoff have done it before, but as Kazakhstan and Oleg don't want to engage sky in a financial arms race, we're left with one massively stronger team whose major goal every year is to crush the Tour de France.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

It's more like Peanut said. Financial doping, where sky have a much bigger budget than other teams and can afford to stack their tour team with great riders who would be gc guys for most teams. They then waste themselves on rotation so that froome doesn't have to work so hard. Since they hit the first mountains, every other team has said that they can't attack because team sky are setting a constant high pace uphill. There isn't that margin of effort available to create an attack and make it stick.

Other teams like Astana and Tinkoff have done it before, but as Kazakhstan and Oleg don't want to engage sky in a financial arms race, we're left with one massively stronger team whose major goal every year is to crush the Tour de France.

I guess that was kind of my question...is it Froome is just straight up head and shoulders better/stronger than every other pro riding the Tour, or is basically that his team is so strong he can sit up at the front and never have to work in every stage and just pick his times to attack and gain time whereas every other contender is working harder than him every single day because their teams are weaker.

I mean, destroying Dumoulin in a time trial while also destroying every body who even thinks of attacking on a climb is...I'm not sure whether to be impressed or what.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
His domestiques are a class better than anyone else's. The whole race is just a TTT that lasts a few weeks.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Even a casual observer can see that Froome is surrounded by teammates and all the other GC riders are isolated. How can any of them hope to mount a challenge against Sky without any help?

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Let brexit save cycling.

The Giro's a better race at the moment for sure, and just because sky only really give a poo poo about the Tour

at least nibali actually raced the vuelta and the giro

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

US Postal did this too

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Diego Rosa was hammering the pace for Astana yesterday and when he finally dropped off the commentators mentioned "he's joining Sky next year" and it kind of drove home the point that they've broken this race with money, regardless of anything else.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Team Sky are a bunch of doping fucks but come on, Froome hasn't won this year by some absurd climb while eyes nailed to the power meter readout. Doping isn't going to give you the balls to do the decent he pulled off to gain the jersey. Or the anger and desire to run up Ventoux. He's outraced everyone this time around and been very entertaining to boot. FFS, I hate the Sky Train but Froome's been a highlight of the Tour and not for being a doping oval office.

Skarsnik posted:

Lots of people grumpy that their doper of choice isnt winning

When exactly is this magical time when everyone was clean you'd like to go back to?

2011 is probably the cleanest the Tour has ever been. But in all honesty, this year hasn't been too absurd.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Yeah I don't get the saltiness. Froome has gained the most time:

a) Attacking downhill into Bagneres.
b) Sprinting away in the crosswinds with Sagan.
c) Attacking with Richie Porte.
d) Dominating an individual time trial.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

2011 is probably the cleanest the Tour has ever been. But in all honesty, this year hasn't been too absurd.

And even that was one of Contadors asterisk years

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Rhaegar posted:

Yeah I don't get the saltiness. Froome has gained the most time:

a) Attacking downhill into Bagneres.
b) Sprinting away in the crosswinds with Sagan.
c) Attacking with Richie Porte.
d) Dominating an individual time trial.

I like Froome even though I have no ulterior reason too. He carries himself like a champion and is funny.

He most certainly dopes, which is required to be a professional bike rider, unless he really did use a motor in the past (probably not) which is hosed.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
The 80's really seem like the golden years of cycling, although I wasn't around then. Since those days of Fignon-Hinault-Lemond wars we've had Indurain-Armstrong-Contador-Sky reigns with small blips.

Speaking of which, why does no one ever bring up Indurian when doping talk happens?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

Lots of people grumpy that their doper of choice isnt winning

When exactly is this magical time when everyone was clean you'd like to go back to?

These days!:denmark:

(Well, he never *tested* positive, so that's good enough for me)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

clean ayers act posted:

Speaking of which, why does no one ever bring up Indurian when doping talk happens?

I don't think you can blame him for the poo poo he was obviously dosed with as a child.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

clean ayers act posted:

Mostly, Indurain is relatively likeable and humble, which makes him less of a target. He is also a less egregious case because he had legitimate weaknesses as a rider.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
i thought about watching the TT after work but my subconscious made me spoil the result for myself on twitter. thank god. at least i know ive got my weekend back now for less processional things such as the hungarian formula 1 grand prix

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I went to Hungary once, wouldn't go back, full of racists eager to show how the Budapest is modernizing ("but doesn't have as many Arabs as Paris").

Back to cycling, lol at FSA suddenly rediscovering their electronic Group set for the tour after an entire year of radio silence. Maybe this time it'll work 👍

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

peanut- posted:

Diego Rosa was hammering the pace for Astana yesterday and when he finally dropped off the commentators mentioned "he's joining Sky next year" and it kind of drove home the point that they've broken this race with money, regardless of anything else.

..and this is exactly what happened during the Armstrong years as well, if you were a promising prospect that might challenge Lance in the coming years, you got scooped up and set to work for him. People are now realising that this is as much of a problem as doping, which is good.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I can't wait for the spring classics!

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

serious gaylord posted:

Still a better tour than 2014 when Nibali won it by 8 minutes and you had Pinot on the podium.

I won $2,000 that year in that road id tour podium picker contest because I had Pinot in 3rd, that tour ruled actually.

Ok, it sucked, but still. Got some pretty wheels out of it.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Could you do a salary cap for cycling? Or just for the TdF? Much as Sky would scream and probably take their bikes and go home, you'd have thought it would make it easier for smaller teams to compete.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The money in cycling is pathetic enough already that they have to have minimum salary requirements. Capping what cyclists can earn if someone is willing to put money into the sport wouldn't really seem fair. It would just mean the stars get paid the same and the support riders earn even less.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Well, astana are doing something.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Full franchise model, auction the team slots, pool the funding, draft the riders, distribute the wealth, full communism now. etc.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Only surprising thing about this breakaway is the lack of Sagan in it.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Doesn't Katusha have a budget almost matching Sky's?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Hegay posted:

Doesn't Katusha have a budget almost matching Sky's?

They blew it all on meldonium.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Riis just got a new team together with Saxo Bank owner Lars Seier, they're calling it Team Virtu Pro – Veloconcept, just rolls of the tongue

Hegay fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 22, 2016

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Looks bad for Yates

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Remember that Olympic ski jump in Sotchi that cost billions.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Hegay posted:

Riis just got a new team together with Saxo Bank owner Lars Seier, they're calling it Team Virtu Pro – Veloconcept, just rolls of the tongue

Wait I didn't know Dota teams were getting into cycling now

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Vando posted:

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Vando posted:

VP was a CS team long before dota if you want to make that joke.