Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
I thought Leslie Jones's character was pretty much the only thing the film did right, which was a pleasant surprise since she was by far the worst part of the previews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Calling it racist seems to be a repeat of that thing where after finn in star wars was black a bunch of white nerds who had never ever in their life had ever cared about racism decided that finn was a racist stereotype and should not be in their star wars movie. (after they had already decided that and were searching for a reason they could say in public)

...but Finn wasn't a racist caricature though?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
What are you talking about? Don't you remember during the fight with Kylo that he held his lightsaber sideways, and gleefully screamed for him to stay out of the hood?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It's important that black people in movies talk like white people. To avoid racism, you see.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I have taken away your privilege to say poo poo or play certain parts without attributing to your race. I'm helping.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

philosoraptor posted:

Did you and your brother become scientists? Or did you just learn to "like science?" Because, I hate to say this, people become scientists because they are raised by good parents, not because their parents let them watch movies with good role models.

My brother is a mechanical engineer who does product design. I work in media post-production in finishing and motion graphic capacities. Neither of us catch ghosts, but media we liked as children contributed to our professional ambitions in non-irrelevant ways; thanks for asking.

My point generally was just that seeing roles for women where their value comes from actions and knowledge rather than appearance or relationships is unusual. A little girl who loves Rey isn't going to grow up to be a Jedi, but she might internalize the idea that she can make active choices and be the hero of her own story, or whatever cliche you choose. A girl who thinks Holtzman is cool for building stuff doesn't necessarily need to go into STEM for that to have some effect.

Patty totally does have some cliched mannerisms, but that's kind of Leslie Jones' persona as a performer in general. It didn't strike me as all that unbelievable...that's probably kind of how she actually is.

And to be honest, I think Patty's used in a more versatile way than Winston ever was. They're both blue collar counterweights to the insular nerdiness of the rest of the team, but the whole "Patty is a history buff" quirk is essentially borrowed from Ray. Clearly, the character spends her boring MTA shift reading, and interjects with excited facts the way Ray used to. I could see that character delving deep into the lore research aspect, since it'd fit the way she's already being used.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
This is why Crippled Avengers is the best movie ever made. Kids who have no arms or who are retarded because someone crushed their head need role models too.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

If they wrote the script like that and asked Leslie Jones to "play it blacker", then that is extremely racist. If this is just the performance she gave it is not racist at all.

I think the key thing here is to be concerned about how Jones and other black actors are treated, not to try to leverage racism/progressivism to prove how good or bad a movie is.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I, the white male director, have deemed that you, black female actor, shall both shuck AND jive.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Aww hell nah, were the Ghostbusterf.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's important that black people in movies talk like white people. To avoid racism, you see.
This is on loving point.

I could've typed six paragraphs and it wouldn't have gotten the idea across better than this.

shitpostmodern
Oct 30, 2015

philosoraptor posted:

Did you and your brother become scientists? Or did you just learn to "like science?" Because, I hate to say this, people become scientists because they are raised by good parents, not because their parents let them watch movies with good role models.

Do you just straight up not understand that children internalize a lack of representation in the media that they consume and it colours their interactions with each other and sets invisible limits on what they think they themselves, and each other, are allowed to be? Have you never never interacted with children in any meaningful way?

I've only been a parent for four years, but I have a lot of siblings, one of which is a decade younger than I am. She was 9 when I moved out and went to college, for reference. I have seen so many kid on kid interactions where one will tell the other "you can't be (character) because you're (a boy or girl and the character is not)." I've also seen a lot of adult on kid interactions that are discouragingly similar-- "Okay, well, how about you let that little boy over there play with this (typically male coded toy) and you come over here and play with (typically female coded toy)."

When I was younger and watching this happen with my siblings, more often than not my siblings wouldn't even question it, especially my sisters. The little boy she's playing with says 'girls can't be one of the three ninjas and that I have to be the lone 'love interest' character from the movie? Oh, okay. I didn't know that, makes sense since I am a girl.'

Not only is it important for little girls to see that they can be scientists, or even that science fiction can be for them and maybe they'll grow up to create science fiction themselves, but little boys need to know that little girls can be those things too.

It's the same if you want to talk about race; that's why we had people flipping out when it was suggested that the new Peter Parker in the current movies could be black--so many people were absolutely incapable of believing that it couldn't be exactly the same story, which is barebones 'middle class kid is raised by his aunt and uncle, likes photography, gets bit by radioactive spider and becomes a superhero after his uncle's tragic death teaches him about responsibility'. Why are there people who think that a black kid couldn't be THAT kid? That the entire mythos would have to be re-written to reflect his skin colour? You think there are no black kids being raised by relatives who like photography and could conceivably be a super hero? Seems pretty stupid when I put it like that, right?

The problem is that kids think a lot of stupid things are true. I have actually heard little kids tell little black kids that they couldn't pretend to be a certain character because the character isn't black, and I have heard white grown rear end adults harping on a black friend's decision to cosplay white characters, and when I was like hold the gently caress up, they were dead set that black people should just cosplay black characters so it's more 'authentic'.

If little girls only see themselves represented as dull love interests or props that are there to encourage the success of men, a LOT of them never question that. I know so many women who were devastated that they hadn't found a dude to take care of them by 22, and legitimately had no idea what to do with their lives because they hadn't spent their childhood daydreaming about all the cool things they could have grown up to become and therefore didn't get the prerequisites done in highschool for anything that could be considered a career. Growing up, a lot of them were instead encouraged to talk about their dream wedding and argue with their friends about who called dibs on what hypothetical future baby names first. That's kiiind of hosed up, and it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that a social climate that hinges on various forms of media consumption has zero effect on children, especially when women are reviewing this movie and saying poo poo like "I don't even care if it wasn't perfect, I felt exhilarated in a way that I have never felt before and didn't realize that I COULD feel because this movie was about me, or people who I could have been. I wish this movie existed when I was young"--you don't get to tell women that this is just a cash grab and it's not going to make a big difference for anyone while simultaneously ignoring women who are loudly telling anyone who will listen that this made a difference for them, even if it came thirty years too late.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was just looking up something on the-numbers.com and spotted their "similar movies' list for GB16:

:iceburn:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

WAR FOOT posted:

I, the white male director, have deemed that you, black female actor, shall both shuck AND jive.

I have seen the film and I very heavily doubt that Feig gave any direction at all to his actors

philosoraptor
Nov 4, 2008
Soiled Meat

Xealot posted:

My brother is a mechanical engineer who does product design. I work in media post-production in finishing and motion graphic capacities. Neither of us catch ghosts, but media we liked as children contributed to our professional ambitions in non-irrelevant ways; thanks for asking.

So I guess you learned that Ghostbusters isn't about the investigation of the natural world, it's about inventing and marketing new desires? Isn't it funny how the movie markets itself to us with the logo the characters invent to market their service: creating and disposing of fantasies?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I was just looking up something on the-numbers.com and spotted their "similar movies' list for GB16:

:iceburn:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

What the gently caress kind of algorithm are they using to generate these lists?? :psyduck:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What the gently caress kind of algorithm are they using to generate these lists?? :psyduck:

Moms

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

philosoraptor posted:

So I guess you learned that Ghostbusters isn't about the investigation of the natural world, it's about inventing and marketing new desires? Isn't it funny how the movie markets itself to us with the logo the characters invent to market their service: creating and disposing of fantasies?

You're right, since Carl Sagan wasn't one of the original Ghostbusters, I wasn't inspired to devote my life to interrogating the natural world as the heroes fight a Sumerian god that looks like a marshmallow person.

I'm at a loss as to your specific point. Are you upset that Ghostbusters is a commercial product? It is. People engage with media, and that media is often made by corporations. It can still have multiple meanings and can still resonate with the audience in a multitude of ways.

Maybe some kid does resonate with the idea the characters study odd phenomena. Maybe others think the gadgets are cool and they'd like to build things, too. My praise for the movie is that one of its primary arcs is to overcome adversity in pursuit of your nerdy-rear end hobby interest, even if it sounds dumb or impractical to others. Maybe that doesn't involve curing Polio, but so it goes.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
If any children watch a movie and do not devote their lives to the pursuit of the main character's vocation, the movie was a complete waste

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
FRANCHISE STATUS: REBOOTED

So I finally saw the movie, and I enjoyed it. This is clearly a different take on the ghostbusting concept for the purpose of refreshing the franchise, and in that manner I believe it works.

Honestly, I think trying to compare it to the original is sort of missing the point entirely and it's bound to frustrate those that do, because its clear to me here that this movie is celebrating the concepts and franchise itself more than trying to "outdo" the original. Those that enjoy the franchise for the premise, the technology, and general familiarity of the world of "Ghostbusters" rather than the distinct plot, characters, humor, pacing and technical aspects of the original are definitely more geared toward liking this approach than those who are so invested in the original film for the aforementioned reasons, though those groups are of course not mutually exclusive. I'm not an expert though, so who am I to judge.

ANYWAY, Sony clearly wants this to be their MCU-sort of thing since Reitman and Aykroyd have the Ghost Corps. production company they've established for this purpose. And that's neat! At least it is to me. So in the end, it wasn't a bad movie at all; I hope it does well and we get more Ghostbusters projects and maybe one of those will really hit it out of the park and maybe even raise the bar.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 22, 2016

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
We now return you to your mid-thread dumpster fire, already in progress

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

One clear difference in this version is the fact that they are hunting ghosts for the sake of scientifically proving their theses and later for the sake of actually saving the city and the world, whereas in the original, it is very much a mercenary enterprise. Was there ever a mention of fees in this one?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Eh, comparing the two films is completely fair, and GB16 borrows enough from the first film that it seems to be inviting the comparison.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

It's a bit disingenuous to invoke the past movie for the positive financial gains, but disallow comparisons or contrasts. If they didn't want it to be compared to a film with the same name, don't do a remake? Change the set pieces and call them Spirit Hunters or something. :shrug:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Xealot posted:

You're right, since Carl Sagan wasn't one of the original Ghostbusters, I wasn't inspired to devote my life to interrogating the natural world as the heroes fight a Sumerian god that looks like a marshmallow person.

I'm at a loss as to your specific point. Are you upset that Ghostbusters is a commercial product? It is. People engage with media, and that media is often made by corporations. It can still have multiple meanings and can still resonate with the audience in a multitude of ways.

Maybe some kid does resonate with the idea the characters study odd phenomena. Maybe others think the gadgets are cool and they'd like to build things, too. My praise for the movie is that one of its primary arcs is to overcome adversity in pursuit of your nerdy-rear end hobby interest, even if it sounds dumb or impractical to others. Maybe that doesn't involve curing Polio, but so it goes.
People can only be influenced by media when he says so!

All those scientists that say they got into science because of Star Trek were liars supporting the liberal agenda of education!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Ghostbusters has done an insanely good job of proving that internet people haven't the language to talk about racism. Like this guy here:

WAR FOOT posted:

WAR FOOT's is fundamentally seeking to explain why the black character appears subhuman to him.

So, 'Paul Feig' is deployed a 'subject supposed to be racist'. WAR FOOT of course doesn't really believe blacks are subhuman. He simply believes that Feig believes that blacks are subhuman - and therefore he believes the Patty character is subhuman. After all, she talks loud and speaks ebonics or whatever. Certain 'X' traits make her too different from us, making her exotic, but not good-exotic. She doesn't fit into the multicultural vision, so she must be a fake.

That is not antiracism.

Antiracism does not involve asserting that what you're seeing on the screen is a distortion, fake hiding the real, deep, authentic, 'earthy black woman' (of course that's a fantasy). Antiracism involves 'taking the image seriously', understanding that Patty (like Jones herself) is very real and appears inferior because she is consistently treated as inferior. As a black woman in America, and on the internet, that's unavoidable. That treatment exerts a performative efficiency that determines her very being.

Internet people everywhere will be quick to tell you they don't hate women; they merely hate that rich women are exerting incredible atom-bomb power over poor white men. Rich women are imagined as fakes pretending to be feminist in order to force you to watch the movie. (The idea that there's a conspiracy by women, to destroy you with false sexism accusations, is of course insanely sexist. So we get a perfect self-fulfilling prophecy to fuel a tire-fire persecution complex).

The result is get a fun culture war where poors are pitted against women, blacks against gays, so-on. Way to show those Hollywood feminists.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

my first smg post. truly, an honour

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

WAR FOOT posted:

my first smg post. truly, an honour

I'm jelly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LeJackal posted:

"Droid, please", a funny and good line, was deemed racist by white people writing for the Village Voice and tons of nerds

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oMP0IEsFx4

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

"I am sick and tired of the communism that is going on on the internet." :allears:
Wait until this guy finds out about open-source software.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I saw this yesterday and it was surprisingly good.
- Main cast was great. Kate McKinnon was probably my favorite but the rest of them were amazing.
- A lot of the jokes hit really well.
- Main team felt like their own characters instead of being straight up the original Ghostbusters.
- One of the rare times the cameos didn't bother me cept maybe Dan's one.
- I actually laughed my rear end off at the ghost dick shot
- The end fight scene was kinda bad due to it being an almost incomprehensible mess of blue smoke.
- Kevin was pretty funny but a little bit overdone.
- Oh one editing thing I found off was the intro something felt off transitioning from guy screaming to title & song to auditorium really quickly.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 22, 2016

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Any Ghostheads know of any announcement as to when the VOD/Blu Ray of this is coming out? Can't wait to proudly dislay that on my shelf front and center in my room with my GB LEGO building block set and other various merch.

Still been binge-viewing it as it is in the theaters. I've actually quit my job (saved up for about 12 months for the GB release/merch blitz and can finally blow it all combined with my would-be college funds) so I can just spend all day buying tickets for this movie, with me and my friends driving around to as many theaters as I can (Good knews about Toph BTW; he got his charges dropped and even got the ECTO-1 up and running...sorta. It's pretty junked not gonna lie, but we like to consider it a "mad max fury road" version of what the ECTO would look like. Still it's a little worrying to ride in it in this condition, though.) in my area to try and boost the box office for this as much as I can. We like to pop in for some of the showings too, just to relive the magic of its fully glory on the big screen. Not gonna lie though, it's gonna be great to crack an ecto cooler and kick my bustin' boots up on my GB16 coffee table and watch it in the comfort of my own home, far away from some of the trolls thst like to inhabit the theaters at times.

Speaking of trolls, I just want to say I find absolutely disgusting what Ms.Jones has had to endure from these vile ghouls. I was actually on twitter trying to defend her/deflect as many of the trolls onto me instead for a good number of hours. before one of the feinds hacked my phone and made it shut off. These jerks take something beautiful (in this case twitter) and just have to wreck it, makes me absolutely sick. My heart goes out to her.

EDIT: Upon further inspection I realized was my phone was not in fact hacked, the battery on it just died. Still, I feel as though some sort of foul play was afoot because right before it died it was acting slow and was very "hot" to the touch. Odd.

Stay strong, fellow Ghostheads. This film is honestly not that far off from The Force Awakening's numbers (give or take) and I really think one last push for a box office surge could really cement a sequel for us for sure. Fingers crossed.

-------------------------------------------
"It's 2040. Our president is a plant!" - Jillian Holtzmann , Ghostbusters, 2016

GOLD WINNER - 2016 Ghostheads Trivia Contest, Captain Joe's Bar and Grill, Santa Clara, CA

Retarded_Clown_ fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 22, 2016

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

You've gone too obvious, R_C_.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

RC where are you getting this from?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Golden Goat posted:

RC where are you getting this from?

I like to believe it's original content :allears:
Can we declare RC as some kind of shitposting national treasure? He's a lot more artful about it than, say, me.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

I like to believe it's original content :allears:
Can we declare RC as some kind of shitposting national treasure? He's a lot more artful about it than, say, me.

well, yeah. they've got the extra underscore

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Golden Goat posted:

- I actually laughed my rear end off at the ghost dick shot

The pain reaction represents his inability to relinquish his toxic masculinity, even after death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LeJackal posted:

Yeah weird, it's almost if racists were trying to co-opt something to try to stop black people from being in movies.

• Locked thread