Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

God drat that looks nice.

Your guy does good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Looks good! They did a great job. It looks positively glassy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yay tornado warnings!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

Yay tornado warnings!

There's no way anything bad can happen in the crow's nest pass. :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Whadya know golf ball hail makes dents in vehicles and beats the poo poo out of everything

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

Whadya know golf ball hail makes dents in vehicles and beats the poo poo out of everything

TELL ME THE PORSCHE IS OKAY

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

PORCH OK. SUBARU OK. BIKE OK. TACO SAD :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How much do you want for the Taco after insurance hail-payouts it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Meh, I'll take some photos after it dries out. It's not that bad but I now have speed dimples.

Company truck<personal vehicles for garage space

I was concerned about the skylight in the house though - gently caress me those things are tough.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

we've already gotten around 5 big hailstorms here, but luckily so far it's all been soft hail. it's nice to not have to worry about what's outside. the f250 gets beat up who gives a poo poo.

When the subaru got written off, the insurance guy came out and counted all the dents, and it was like $40 x # of dents. It's almost definitely $7k worth of damage. if the truck was outside.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Welp it looks like there is a moderate chance that there could be a flood event in Calgary again. They're expecting up to 70 millimetres of rain in the foothills over the next 24 hours, on top of the 10-15 that fell the previous 24 (and everything before that).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yuck. Hopefully the snow pack is largely gone by now so it shouldn't be as bad as if it happened in June.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Anyone see any good hail-sale listings? :haw:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

$5k estimate for hail damage.

And another tornado watch for this evening :haw:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/91-240sx-super-hicas/1176428862?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

quote:

Got handed a "Salvage title" by EPS due to being "Unsafe" these are the reasons why:
No front crash bar,
Front signals are white and not amber
Tinted taillights,
Enlarged muffler,

I didn't know they could do that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

They can't. They can declare it unsafe though and get it off the road but not declare it a "salvage" title - only insurance companies can do that AFAIK.

Section 66 of the Traffic Safety Act
http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/T06.pdf

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

Baring that, probably something with at least a 425F rating. That teflon superlube grease would probably be good to try but you might just want to smear on a bit of whatever the highest temp stuff you have. I've got a tube in my garage, not that it does you a lot of good there.

Finished testing this today and I've got around 45 laps and the clutch is just barely catching at idle now as opposed to before where it would stall out at idle after 25 laps or so so I'd say this is a fairly big success. Slidebite comes to the rescue again.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Glad you were able to score some.

If you feel like further experimenting, you can also try some of that copper, nickel or aluminum anti-seize. It's actually used as a lubricant for some applications.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

So I bought this for $400. Engine is hosed. Also it doesn't look like this anymore because plastidip. I'll be returning the front grill to something traditional looking.

Then I need to find a tall deck big block to build a mountain stroker motor (632 cubic inch). Hoping for 1100hp on pump gas with small twin turbos and a blow through carb.

It will be a strip cruiser and rolling burnout vehicle. Don't feel like building a drivetrain or suspension to handle the power.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

305 & TH400 as it is? I know you said that you weren't planning on the driveline but could the transmission handle that for more than 2 seconds?

Good score and good luck. Look forward to the thread :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
$400 for that? That's an awesome deal.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

My 911 jealous loathing of slidebite continues to know no bounds; I was looking at listings this morning again. :argh:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm not sure what engine and transmission are in it, however I know the th350 and 400 can both be modified to handle gobs of power for fairly cheap.

It's an 85 1/2 ton 2wd. I haven't seen it in person just this picture. I'll be picking it up once I have time after work one of these days.

If for some reason it has a 4 bolt block 350, I may consider a high revving 383 stroker with gobs of boost but I'd rather do a big block or iron LS

Edit: 350 engine, rebuilt turbo 350 trans

jonathan fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 20, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

El Scotch posted:

My 911 jealous loathing of slidebite continues to know no bounds; I was looking at listings this morning again. :argh:

If you get seriously interested, let me know. I looked at a couple that are on kijiji right now and also a little more educated now than a month ago, I could probably give better advice now.

Speaking of 911, here are some pics I finally got off my fat rear end and took!

For some reason I love seeing the rear quarters in the side mirrors, reminds you of what you're driving. :cool:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 21, 2016

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Which Porsche is the one with the whale tail spoiler and the really wide rear fender flares ? Probably from the 90's or late 80's.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

jonathan posted:

Which Porsche is the one with the whale tail spoiler and the really wide rear fender flares ? Probably from the 90's or late 80's.

930 Turbo?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The 911 Turbos in general are probably what you're thinking of although some Carreras had a widebody option, or some owners put widebody kits on them.

Here is a 78-ish 930. It would also go for $6-figures.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:e

slidebite fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 22, 2016

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
930 Turbo in Copper Brown Metallic is one of my "if I hit the lottery" cars. :allears:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is a photo from the rear of one with flames coming out the tailpipes. The car is black or dark grey and it's a good picture.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

slidebite posted:

If you get seriously interested, let me know. I looked at a couple that are on kijiji right now and also a little more educated now than a month ago, I could probably give better advice now.

One day; I have a wedding/honeymoon to pay for first though. :eng99:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Speaking of 911, here are some pics I finally got off my fat rear end and took!

For some reason I love seeing the rear quarters in the side mirrors, reminds you of what you're driving. :cool:

There's something special about narrow body porsches.

These days, even the carerra 4s are widebody, and that's all a dealer would ever order here. You really bought a beautiful example, probably quite near the bottom of the value. Good 997s haven't dropped in 5 years, and possibly never will.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks man.

I agree, I don't the 996s are going to get much cheaper, if at all. They've got to be at or near the bottom of the curve. There are signs that prices might already be starting to recover with non show-car models going for 997 money. Example

The IMS hysteria really punished their value (and Boxsters) but when you can get an example at <$20k, it's hard to believe they'll go further. Ironically, the earliest years, 1999 in particular, seem to be very resilient to IMS disasters (<1% from what I understand) so they're a particular bargain. They're solid cars and still surprisingly quick & fast with 4.9 0-60 and skirting 180 MPH top speeds.

Mine in particular is a driver. With 100K+ KMs on the clock it's not ever going to be a showpiece, but I hope to get my money out of it when the time comes for me to sell it, if not profit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think i hosed the trans in my pickup racing(and beaiting :clint: ) a g37.

It grabbed second hard enough to break traction, and now it won't shift at full throttle. My mechanic friend says i probably cracked the pump, and it'll probably still work for quite a while just no more shifts over half throttle once the trans is up to temp.

I've got to wait for it to cool down to see if it shifts well on cold fluid to confirm. Still might be time to start looking out for a ZF 6 speed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Can we jam in a New Venture or something? I bet we could snag an NV3500/4500 out of all the arson trucks that are showing up at PNP.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Can we jam in a New Venture or something? I bet we could snag an NV3500/4500 out of all the arson trucks that are showing up at PNP.

probably, OBS powerstrokes came with the NV5600 for a few years.

The struggle is finding a 2WD truck. A lot of F450s and F550s came with the ZF6 in 2WD, which is why i was leaning that way.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm not familiar with a G37 transmission. What's it in?

Also, race truck?

:getin:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

I'm not familiar with a G37 transmission. What's it in?

Also, race truck?

:getin:

I meant an infiniti G37.

Beyond a tuner and some injectors, getting a lot of power out of diesels gets stupidly expensive, and i still need it as a truck to haul big dirty stuff.

I've gotten unbelievably lazy with the truck, i'm still starting it directly with the ignition switch, and just pulling out my home-made shifter whenever i park.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh the old Diesel :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I checked out the pickup in person. The body is in great shape, the frame has been powder coated with the body off. The engine bay is clean. The top end of the motor save for the heads is off. I forgot how simple a factory carburetor vehicle is under the hood.

The interior is clean and in good shape except for the cracking vinyl on the bench seat. I'll reupholster it in pleather.

Now I need to figure out how to get it onto the car trailer. There is no winch on the trailer, but the yard it's sitting at has a tow truck.

Oh and LoL he pops the hood and says "yeah it has dual batteries, the stereo runs off one battery, it has 18 speakers inside.

Guess I'll be pulling the interior.