Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnakesandScorpions
Apr 4, 2015
Oh god! Do I buy this game again? I still have some good memories of the previous EDF. A friend of mine and I played through the campaign missions and totally killed ourselves using those bouncing grenades. I still remember chucking one down a hallway and saying "IT'S COMING BACK!" Needless to say we enjoyed blowing ourselves up after we discovered that little niche weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
2017 had a very high-damage grenade with a larger blast radius than you could possibly throw it. I love that kind of poo poo.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
You had to throw it running forward, then run backwards as soon as you let it go. And you still might get caught in it. <3

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I bought in, and would like to apologize in advance for all the games I will be ruining for everyone with flying off as Wing Diver and getting myself killed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

2017 had a very high-damage grenade with a larger blast radius than you could possibly throw it. I love that kind of poo poo.

I'm pretty sure literally every game in the series had that except maybe the crappy strategy game.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If a new Monster Hunter hadn't just come out I'd probably have bought this dumb game for the third time. As it is I've had the EDF songs stuck in my head all week anyway.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

YOTC posted:

You had to throw it running forward, then run backwards as soon as you let it go. And you still might get caught in it. <3
You drop it off of catwalks in the underground maps. It will fall away from you fast enough that you won't get hurt when it explodes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Air Raider certainly is a support class. It does allow for massive explosions right at the start of the game. The vehicles take some getting used to, but it does provide a meat shield for people looking to get health while in the vehicle. Where do I see this credits thing and do early enemies give you very little?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

The Air Raider certainly is a support class. It does allow for massive explosions right at the start of the game. The vehicles take some getting used to, but it does provide a meat shield for people looking to get health while in the vehicle. Where do I see this credits thing and do early enemies give you very little?

Credits are just what fills up your reload bar on the artillery calls and vehicles. Some of the smaller artillery calls will refill after just a couple black ants, and most tanks will fill 3 or 4 times on a mission like 14. Difficulty doesn't matter since costs don't generally go up for similar things as you get better gear.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Credits are gained whenever anyone kills something. Ants give few, ships or robots or whatever give more. It's represented by the reload bar for that weapon/vehicle. Watch it when something big dies and you'll see it spike up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

The APC is hilarious and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

they can drift

they might be pretty bad from a functional perspective but they will always have a place in my heart for being able to drift

ModeWondershot posted:

I bought in, and would like to apologize in advance for all the games I will be ruining for everyone with flying off as Wing Diver and getting myself killed.

this is a rite of initiation into the elite flying force of the EDF, friend

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

WhiteHowler posted:

It has a skull paint job in this one :3:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If you get killed as a wing diver on top of a building and your teammates can't reach you to revive you, just have them blow up the building and let your lifeless body fall to the ground. There's no problem that can't be solved with the proper application of explosives.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
By the way, if you can get 2 or more ranger/fencer squads attached to you, you owe it to yourself to spam the "Waaaahh!!" shout

It gets downright Orky and I love it

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Coolguye posted:

they can drift

they might be pretty bad from a functional perspective but they will always have a place in my heart for being able to drift

this is a rite of initiation into the elite flying force of the EDF, friend

You can make most of the tanks drift if you try hard enough.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

WhiteHowler posted:

Is there a way to set up an invite-only room? I set the option in "Max Players/Chat" to "Invite Only" but randoms keep joining.

That's a deal-breaker for me if I can't limit it to just my friends list.

Edit: Oh. That's unintuitive as gently caress. So you not only have to set it invite only, but you have to move left/right to control how many player slots are invite-only.

I actually really like this feature. It's cool to be able to permanently reserve slots for you and friends but also say that a specific amount of randoms can join to make a full team.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The one thing I'm not liking about Air Raider is that they have so much in their drop pool so it takes forever to get an upgrade to something you've been using.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

dis astranagant posted:

The one thing I'm not liking about Air Raider is that they have so much in their drop pool so it takes forever to get an upgrade to something you've been using.

I'm on mission 40 and have yet to get a helicopter.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's always robot D-Day when you're grinding Hectors for drops.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It's always robot D-Day when you're grinding Hectors for drops.

And then you get a decent gigantes and kill them too fast to loot but still haven't seen a railgun in 3 difficulty levels.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 22, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What's the preferred method of armor agriculture, anyway?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Goddamnit, I just bought the game on Steam but it keep crashing when trying to load the first mission. Anyone else having similar problems?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

McKilligan posted:

Goddamnit, I just bought the game on Steam but it keep crashing when trying to load the first mission. Anyone else having similar problems?

AMD processor? The game uses SSE4.1, which was Intel only til somewhat recently. There's an unofficial patch on the steam forum

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So what are the compelling reasons to go ranger? I understand the appeal of the other classes, but ranger still somewhat eludes me. Wing diver has mobility, air raider has vehicles and artillery strikes and such, and fencer is double fisting two giant weapons and dashing around. Ranger feels like he lacks mobility, and lacks fancy weapons. What can I try with him that will draw me over to his side?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Filthy Monkey posted:

So what are the compelling reasons to go ranger? I understand the appeal of the other classes, but ranger still somewhat eludes me. Wing diver has mobility, air raider has vehicles and artillery strikes and such, and fencer is double fisting two giant weapons and dashing around. Ranger feels like he lacks mobility, and lacks fancy weapons. What can I try with him that will draw me over to his side?

Ranger is the default. He does everything decent enough and is generally easy to pick up and play. He also tends to have some rather nice sniping weapons. And iframes/general move speed from roll spam.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
He's consistently good without being amazing at anything. Faster than the fencer but not as mobile as the wing diver. Tougher than the wing diver but not as tough as the fencer. Less huge explosions than the Air Raider and no tanks but with some pretty sweet explosives nonetheless without having to worry about dropping stuff in. It's the balanced choice that usually works well in any situation. It's never a bad choice, but it's probably not the most exciting.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ranger gets Five Card XB.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
The Five Card XB is my default "I don't want to deal with this poo poo anymore" choice.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
For me the Ranger is the easiest class to pick up and do well on any mission without knowing what I'll run into. It's fast enough, it has a wide selection of weapons and it can move reasonably fast rolling while still beeing able to shoot a rocket into pursuing enemies while doing so without having to worry about fuel, or having to lug a shield around to effectivly dash cancel. The Armor doesn't really play into survivability for me yet, as I started the game on hard where those 50 points are really not making a difference and the classes have not yet reached any cap yet, so they still all are pretty close to each other.

The only downside to the Ranger is, that he is that he doesn't have a gimmick to make him interesting. But it is probably one of the most effective classes if you're used to playing generic shooters like I am.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Rangers heal friendly troops (under your command) when they pick up a medkit

I've frequently survived ridiculous things because my meatshields simply won't die thanks to my rolling!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Welp, the insect queen fight was a bit anticlimactic. The queen just squatted at the entrance to its cavern and flooded the entire access tunnel with murder acid, so my only recourse was to squat out of range and wear it down with bouncy projectiles. Never even saw the drat thing. :shobon:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I think on flat ground a fencer with dash and a reflector is the fastest out of all 4 classes

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, anybody looking to play Fencer should look up how to dash-cancel. Gotta go fast!

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
Ranger is also the only other class that can pilot vehicles, though he cant call them in. I suppose that can come in useful in multiplayer. Frankly he's just a jack of all trades, which is why he's marked as the beginner class.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
If a modding community grows around EDF, what mods would YOU like to see?

I'd like:

- more graphical options
- some sort of revamped weapon selection menu would be cool - especially if you could toggle seeing the weapons you HAVEN'T found yet
- first person toggle would be fun for wing diver

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I had my first pub experience and even if I had to play with 0 weapons on normal, I had fun getting random people to use emotes as I dashed around picking up the suicidal ranger.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

-giant insects. There's some big ones, but nothing truly giant yet
-More sensible flame weapons - the Flame Pistol slows you down so much that it is essentially unusable. TF2 has an excellent example of how flamethrowers can work on fast, agile characters.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Polo-Rican posted:

If a modding community grows around EDF, what mods would YOU like to see?

I'd like:

- more graphical options
- some sort of revamped weapon selection menu would be cool - especially if you could toggle seeing the weapons you HAVEN'T found yet
- first person toggle would be fun for wing diver

Auto-collect crates at end of mission mod. That's the only mod I need.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DatonKallandor posted:

Auto-collect crates at end of mission mod. That's the only mod I need.

The idea that Storm Team can't loot the field for a minute or two off camera is a little silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

The idea that Storm Team can't loot the field for a minute or two off camera is a little silly.

No time! Gotta move on to the next catastrophe.