Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The timeframe for the heresy purposefully takes place in a lull where most xenos were simply a nonissue in the grand scheme of things, to be honest. I mean:

Orks - Just got their poo poo pushed back in in Ullanor, so beat down by various Legions that it would take them two millenia to recover
Eldar - Too smart to kick up poo poo with the Legions at their prime strength
Dark Eldar - Sadistic fucks, but not stupid - largely see previous
Tyranids - In hibernation, still in intergalactic space
Necrons - Largely still asleep
Tau - Literally loving camels

Of course Legions clashing with Orks is still fluffy as hell, seeing as Orks are, well, Orks. Most Eldar would likely be purposefully avoiding conflict with the pre-Heresy imperium, but Dark Eldar would probably still be raiding undefended colonies for slaves and sport. I just don't see a point in making separate '30K Eldar/Deldar' a thing, seeing as their tech has stayd largely unchanged since the Fall. Same with Orks, really, with the obvious caveat that the current Ork codex in general should be taken behind the armory and given the Emperor's Peace. drat thing needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'd like to see stuff from the Rangdan Xenocide campaigns, since they are supposed to have been the most damaging, threatening and overall lovely-for-the-Imperium battles against aliens.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

I'd like to see stuff from the Rangdan Xenocide campaigns, since they are supposed to have been the most damaging, threatening and overall lovely-for-the-Imperium battles against aliens.
Whenever I read "Rangdan" I always think of rendang.

A delicious xenocide.

Anyways, the Nemean Reaver is supposed to be a survivor of the Rangdan Xenocide and he gets Fearless and Fear from that. Must've been a pretty hosed up campaign. I'm guessing if it gets detailed at all, it'll be in the background section of the Dark Angels whenever they get around to them. That's really the only place it's even been hinted at so far.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 21, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Putting a Magos Prime ordinator with a photon thruster into a unit of destructor Thallaxes is the most hilarious poo poo ever.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Got to play a little VisV last night, man it's fun. I was kind of dumb with my jetbikes and paid the price, but the final tally ended up closer than I expected. I meant to take more pics but didn't because I drank beer and chatted instead.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Anyone here run a Venator? It looks really good on paper, does it actually play well?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

adamantium|wang posted:

Anyone here run a Venator? It looks really good on paper, does it actually play well?

Yes/No/Maybe.

Is your opponent bringing a Typhon/Other super-heavy? Congrats, you're very likely to neuter it.

Is your opponent not bringing a super-heavy? You kinda wasted points.

e. Since I can't actually finish assembling my robbits until I get the bases next week, I tried out some cellulose paints.

I like it, it's so shiny. I'll end up doing Copper as a base, and then a zenithal of pale brass & copper 1:3.
Also I think I have lung cancer now, jesus christ.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 21, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Got to play a little VisV last night, man it's fun. I was kind of dumb with my jetbikes and paid the price, but the final tally ended up closer than I expected. I meant to take more pics but didn't because I drank beer and chatted instead.

TKEGs acid bolters continue to be terrifying against my infantry. I ran a small squad of the updated seekers with a vigilator and they performed really well. Marked for death, AP2, shred, stealth, scout, and infiltrate just combo together so well. If I ran a big group in a normal game I'd give them combi melta or combi plasma. Scoot over and blow up a tank/shoot at a squad first turn, then shoot AP2 bolters at people.

Rhino with multi melta owned

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Playing a narrative event on the 30th where I'll be representing Word Bearers, so I've got a weekend full of assembling and painting to look forward too. Part of the narrative is that our Warlord is a campaign character using the rules from Conquest. In typical chaos fashion my Warlord got +1 Ld and his Warlord trait for the campaign is Fearless and IWND :v:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Is Victory is Vengeance available as a separate pack somewhere? A file or included in some somewhat more portable than a gigantic book?

What 40k needs is a proper kill team supplement for small games played in less than an hour, and I think ViV is probably one of the closest things to it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You're in luck. I took VisV, re-wrote the rules to be more concise, merged them with the adepticon rules, and then fine tuned the result based on feedback. VisV is just a campaign system layered ontop of Tactical Strike. I call this thing Lightning Strike because it's different enough to be it's own thing. It's free and you should totally try it.

Just finished the v1.3 update. Get it here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ahdfeBukDCz8DLBs_PUudfnOiyCAO3U0gqLjW_IwYZU/edit?usp=sharing

quote:

Changelog:
  • Removed permanent death for leaders. Added a casualty table instead. Depending on how leaders are removed in-game, they have more severe consequences and might not participate in an upcoming games.
  • 10 better balanced hero roles. Should be something for everyone and all at about the same power level.
  • Added rules for ammo checks for different weapon types. You now check by weapon type, and not by unit.
  • Action point cost for seizing the initiative now scales correctly. 5 points can also be spent to remove negative effects from characters who rolled on a casualty table.
  • Added a section which clarifies how special rules confer. Heroes and Leaders confer rules as they work in the BRB. Squads confer if the majority of models have the rule.
  • Added a mechanic that allows legions that gain benefits from challenges to get them in close combat.

There are a lot of little changes to the core system, so if you are familiar with VisV I suggest you read through the 14 pages. The major differences are in how ad-hoc units work, how special rules confer, the special lead element unit type, new hero roles, and what you can do with your action points. If you have feedback after playing, please share!

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

DJ Dizzy posted:

99% of Necrons wouldnt have awoken yet. The Silent King is still on his emo voyage.

Word of the Silent King (stupid name) implies he met Sanguinius at some point, presumably during the Great Crusade, so there must have been some kind of active Necron presence within the galaxy.

Sanguinius must have made a good impression as well, since ten thousand years later the Silent King is still wearing a metal replica of his face.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
gently caress, I'd hoped for some Secutarii today.

I'm guessing next week will be the Tu'na's new weapons and FW will drag this stuff out.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Thundercloud posted:

Is Victory is Vengeance available as a separate pack somewhere? A file or included in some somewhat more portable than a gigantic book?

What 40k needs is a proper kill team supplement for small games played in less than an hour, and I think ViV is probably one of the closest things to it.

I wish they'd do this. ViV and the fan-made Kill Team rules are the best way to play this dumb game, imho.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

BULBASAUR posted:

You're in luck. I took VisV, re-wrote the rules to be more concise, merged them with the adepticon rules, and then fine tuned the result based on feedback. VisV is just a campaign system layered ontop of Tactical Strike. I call this thing Lightning Strike because it's different enough to be it's own thing. It's free and you should totally try it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ahdfeBukDCz8DLBs_PUudfnOiyCAO3U0gqLjW_IwYZU/edit?usp=sharing

This is cool and also good. Please use psychic powers to inject this into GW/FW's heads as something to print in a separate supplement for 30/40k.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

There are a lot of little changes to the core system, so if you are familiar with VisV I suggest you read through the 14 pages. The major differences are in how ad-hoc units work, how special rules confer, the special lead element unit type, new hero roles, and what you can do with your action points. If you have feedback after playing, please share!

I've been looking for a small scale 30k campaign for a while now. I love you.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I've been looking for a small scale 30k campaign for a while now. I love you.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Endman posted:

ViV and the fan-made Kill Team rules are the best way to play this dumb game, imho.

I think I agree but I haven't had a chance to go Full Heresy yet- I do want to scoot my Caestus around and crash it into land raiders but it seems like it will take 5 hours to do so.

The new rules changes all feel like pretty big buffs. I was originally taking 4 vets in my VisV squad but the point decrease made room for a 5th, and that's a big deal. Getting a combi grenade launcher with stasis shells was just sweet sweet gravy. I have a javelin nearly built that I'm also really excited for, it's cheaper than the dreadnought Green Marine wrecked my face with and gets a really huge amount of accurate anti-tank shooting that can mop up power armor once it's killed its primary target. BULBASAURs seekers with a venator were just brutal- a strong cover save against all my acid and strong enough shooting to threaten my jetbikes and simply delete my regular duders. I should throw phosphex on them next.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

BULBASAUR posted:

How is this for one-shots without using the campaign system? A lot of our issues locally with things like Necromunda come from people flaking out of campaigns constantly, and something for small-scale pickup games would be great.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
So far we've only played one-shots. If you really know the rules, you can probably slam out a game in 30-40min. Just choose a resource grade and go. So far everyone has been starting with plentiful resources, but if you only plan to play a single game it could be more interesting to give people 25 resource points so everyone has to make interesting decisions about their strike force. There's a lot of cool stuff you can do.

For the next update I plan to do a pass over the campaign resource system and warzone traits. I copied those directly from forgeworld, but in practice I'm not sure how well tuned they are.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Im thinking of doing a custom ork codex for 30k. Sort of ullanor-styled. Would there be interest in this?

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Im thinking of doing a custom ork codex for 30k. Sort of ullanor-styled. Would there be interest in this?

I hear there are a few competing fan-codex floating around. Pick the best and go from there (provided they are not all insane of course). Otherwise I would suggest: a point comp of +20-50%, the old mob rule with an adjustment (counting wounds instead of models); the old cybork rule(5++); old killakanz squadron but 1-5; painboys and meks 1-3 elites; battlewagon squadrons 1-3; flyer squadrons 1-3; KFF buffs whole squads/vehicles within 6"; each warboss makes a squad of nobz troops; each Big Mek makes a squadron of Kans/dreads troops; and No ghaz or other 40k unique orks.

That should be enough to see what works and what breaks. If your local legions use a load of tanks give Lootas get's hot and rending or tank hunters, see how it goes. I have no idea what to do with all the newer stuff like morkanaughts, they seem like lovely, point heavy hodgepodges to me.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Marksman vets are so good, came in from the side and smoked a bunch of jetbikes in my last game, but all I could think of was "this is going to happen to my Iron Robots" :(

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
What are you running them with?

For now I can't decide if I want to keep them cheap or stick heavy bolters/flamers on them.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

For now I can't decide if I want to keep them cheap or stick heavy bolters/flamers on them.

I have the same problem. I think all combo-plasma is probably the way to go, at least for Sons of Horus. Death Dealer is too good. Gonna try it out today against Hixson.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm planning on a couple of sniper/outflank veteran squads for my eventual Ironwing army and they'll definitely have heavy bolters. Though that's with the caveat that I'll be playing Dark Angels so they'll have acid rounds which are too cool to pass up. Between 3+ sniper shots (within 12") and random AP acid rounds, I know they'll be super swingy. They'll either completely wreck squads or bounce off harmlessly. Either way, I'm sure it'll be entertaining. I am thinking about adding a couple of combi-weapons to the mix, but I'm not sure what would work best. The squad as a whole is obviously pretty anti-infantry so a couple of combi-meltas would give them some anti-tank options, but using them in that way would effectively invalidate the rest of the squad's shooting. Maybe combi-plasmas?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Mango Polo posted:

I've been doing two heavy bolters with shrapnel shells in a rhino, the two guys popping out of the hatch and laying down some fire has made a noticeable difference over bolters.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
You people and your fancy gadgets for veterans. All I get is stubborn :(

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Maybe you should play a better legion then :smug:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

You people and your fancy gadgets for veterans. All I get is stubborn :(

Get more stars on your armor bro.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
God drat.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've been thinking about it another way. Everyone's going to bring outflanking sniper veterans. How do you counter the new meta?

Interceptor is a good place to start, but 18" from an apothacary is limited. Mortis and dodo dreads are another way to go. The plasma dodo being the top option, probably, but it's expensive and slot restrictive. The augary web is a comedy choice, forcing people to bring models on a 5+. Last option I can think of are fortifications. Kyr can make a bunker AV15, but I'm not sure the quad guns/quad lascanons are worth it.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Mortis and dodo are not the way to go because they have to snap fire. They took away the skyfire/interceptor interaction in 7th so when they activate their interceptor they also turn on skyfire, which sucks when there isn't skimmers/flyers. In either case you will need to crack open the rhino to get to the vets. So basically don't be ~24" from a board edge or be in a box.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 23, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
That reminds me, with the buffed vets and javelins the command rhino at 100 points is pretty nice.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

What does the command rhino do?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
100 points HQ that lets you modify your reserve roll by +/- 1, makes a 24" no scatter bubble and gets a weaker but more precise orbital bombardment. And if the enemy mishaps on a deep strike anywhere, they have a -1 penalty on the table roll.

It's a cute unit.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe posted:

Mortis and dodo are not the way to go because they have to snap fire. They took away the skyfire/interceptor interaction in 7th so when they activate their interceptor they also turn on skyfire, which sucks when there isn't skimmers/flyers. In either case you will need to crack open the rhino to get to the vets. So basically don't be ~24" from a board edge or be in a box.

Booo. We haven't played that way before, so we'll probably ~h0u53 rul3~ it. That said, it's still not great. Outflankhammer 30k

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Well now that apothecaries can attach themselves to almost everything and you can always have something silly like a techmarine and rad missile servitors intercepting with scanners and such it will probably settle down.

I too am bad at reading.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 24, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I thought augury scanners only worked against Deep Strike? Or did they change that?

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

*~*Battle Report*~*

Challenged Hixson to a 1500 point game of Games Workshop's Premium Miniatures Game today.

His List:

Houserules Psyker Praetor with Paragon Blade, ML3 (rolled Dominate, Mental Fortitude, and Invisibility)

2x 15-man Tactical Marine Squads

2x Apothecaries

Deredeo with Plasma Carronade

2 Javelin Speeders with Multi-Meltas

10-man Seeker Squad with Rhino

My List:

Maloghurst - The Long March

2x 10-Man Veteran Squads with 10 Combi-Weapons. Sergeants also had Artificer Armor and a Power Fist.

5-man Justaerin Terminator Squad with 5 Combi-Weapons, 3 Lightning Claws, and a Chainfist, transported in a Dreadclaw

2x Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnoughts with 2x Kheres Assault Cannons

Sons of Horus vets with combi-weapons are just as good as everyone thought, BS5 on the combi-weapons with Death Dealer is insanely good. Same thing with the Justaerin, I rolled an awful lot of 2s on my combi-weapons. I tabled Hixson while only losing 6 models (2 of them to Gets Hot). Extremely shameful. Hixson got pretty upset towards the end, and started calling himself the deadweight in our campaign. Harsh but accurate.

15 Marines with a Praetor and Apothecary charged 4 Justaerin and lost so hard that not only did the Praetor get killed, but the rest of them ran off the board. I also forgot to do my Interceptor attacks against Hixson's Outflanking Javelins, so this could have been even more 1-sided.