Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
i can't figure out how to
This poll is closed.
remove 69 3.49%
the 420 21.24%
poll 1488 75.27%
Total: 1977 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

A cousin posted a RIP Helen Thomas post yesterday too and was confused when I told her she died 3 years ago.

Did she die again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Badger of Basra posted:

is there no one who shares corbyn's views but isn't a sad grandpa

Not that wants to captain RMS titanic

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

That is what they want you to think. Television has killed intelligent political discourse and the democratic process.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Volkerball posted:

Do leftists recognize their folly here or just disown corbyn and keep trucking

Should the 'and' and 'or' be swapped in this?

As for Corbyn, the only solution for a return to the political left is to keep Corbyn in long enough to use his influence as leader to return power to the constituency parties (elections for the National Executive Council are also happening at the moment) so that the empty suits Blair installed since '94 can be held to account.

Additionally, the people calling for Corbyn to go the loudest have been.... The Telegraph! Mouthpiece of the Tory party. If they want Tory hegemony then why do they want him gone so bad? The answer? He's dissing neoliberalism and austerity, and even if people don't like him, he's changing the national conversation and it's breaking the very hegemony they've worked so hard to make since the fall of the Soviet Union.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

McDowell posted:

Wag the Dog - the media makes public opinion, not the other way around. And what the media reports is dictated by commercial interests.

please get help

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Should the 'and' and 'or' be swapped in this?

As for Corbyn, the only solution for a return to the political left is to keep Corbyn in long enough to use his influence as leader to return power to the constituency parties (elections for the National Executive Council are also happening at the moment) so that the empty suits Blair installed since '94 can be held to account.

Additionally, the people calling for Corbyn to go the loudest have been.... The Telegraph! Mouthpiece of the Tory party. If they want Tory hegemony then why do they want him gone so bad? The answer? He's dissing neoliberalism and austerity, and even if people don't like him, he's changing the national conversation and it's breaking the very hegemony they've worked so hard to make since the fall of the Soviet Union.

I don't think the right is scared one iota of corbyn

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

McDowell posted:

That is what they want you to think. Television has killed intelligent political discourse and the democratic process.

hardly. if anything it made it more democratic

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

is there no one who shares corbyn's views but isn't a sad grandpa

Yes, but they're in the Green Party.

No really, it was the only anti-austerity party in England during the GE. A lot of the young, media-savvy left are in the Greens, and the grassroots alliance (a Labour sect) winning the NEC seats and returning constituency democracy might actually be the catalyst for them to leave the Greens and join Labour. I know many people who won't join Labour while it has Blair's stink on it and Corbyn is the best bet to clean that poo poo up.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Jagchosis posted:

please get help

oh yeah and this

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Disinterested posted:

The global hegemony of hereditary wealth certainly isn't scared, they just want him gone for the next season of the red vs. blue punch and judy show.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Disinterested posted:

Not that wants to captain RMS titanic

Does Corbyn think he can win an actual election?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
This is a good article, but neuroscientists by and large get this (there are maybe a few Carnegie Mellon or MIT groups that don't, but those don't really hurt anything, though, and even can make progress even though their metaphor is bad). People are coming at the brain from all sorts of angles, but if you want to start to model what the brain is actually doing well generally speaking here comes the math. This is basically an argument against the Human Brain Project which, again, neuroscientists by and large agree is misguided.

There is also an element of "hey people studying mouse brains, mouse brains are DIFFERENT from people brains". Yeah they know, but you can't gently caress with people genes or cut up live people brains. You have to go at a system with the tools and approaches you have.

edit: or make new tools/approaches, and people are doing that too

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 22, 2016

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I doubt it very much but he is a strange man so maybe

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Jagchosis posted:

please get help

Are you suggesting his vehicle go to the mechanic?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Disinterested posted:

and that's how he's going to win - underestimation :iamafag:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
This thread got extremely stupid after i left last night i see

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

at this point corbyn matters much less than the other seats up for a vote in the upcoming election, but him as a figurehead leftist to reelect has vastly improved the number of people voting for the labour party and, by extension, the seats which would be claimed from blairites.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The girl overseeing the test has coke bottle glasses and a seeing eye dog. There's a sign saying you aren't supposed to pet him. I really want to call him over and be like THE BITCH CHOSE ME.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe

Gravel Gravy posted:

Are you suggesting his vehicle go to the mechanic?

this is like the first gg joke that made me laugh

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

McDowell posted:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I think the emphasis on democratising the inner workings of the labour party is going to run into problems as soon as a conflict between the unions and the membership surfaces - it was the new labour and soft left wings that dismantled the block vote in leadership contests and introduced omov against the wishes of the left wing of the party after all.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Aeryk posted:

this is like the first gg joke that made me laugh

Did you not see my potato pun?

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
also I should not have bought rimworld, it makes time disappear

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://m.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/4u0db2/my_17f_exgirlfriend_17f_is_a_political_lesbian/

I found out today that my ex-girlfriend (let's call her Anna) is a political lesbian. We broke up a few weeks ago due to my own mistakes, and we had been together for about 5 months. She was my first real relationship. After we broke up, and had a cooling off period, we decided to still stay friends because we still have a lot in common. We still text sometimes, if I have something funny to show her, but our friendship mainly just consists of liking each others tweets. I was on her twitter today and saw she had changed her bio; in it, in a roundabout way, she stated she was a political lesbian.

For those not in the know it was a movement started up by radical feminists in the 1960s, basically telling women to stop sleeping with men and start sleeping with women as a way to defy the patriarchy. They wanted them to dump their men and either become celibate or sleep with women. Any woman who didn't do this wasn't a feminist, and was aiding in misogyny. Whilst some political lesbians today are lesbians who just appreciate the ideaology, my understanding is that many are actually straight women who sleep exclusively with women to piss off men. I believe that Anna is one of these.

Now I cannot stand political lesbianism. It perpetuates the belief that gay people are gay due to a choice, as well as the stereotype that all lesbians hate men. I think it's misandrical (is that even a word?) and just plain wrong. I've had troubles with coming to terms with my sexuality, and I'm not sure where I fall on the spectrum even now. For her to just play with me like that rubs me so many wrong ways.

I am honestly heartbroken that it seems like Anna and I's relationship was just a way for her to get back at men. It makes me feel that my entire first proper relationship was a complete sham. I had been in one before, when I was younger, but it was long distance and didn't feel as real as this one did. I feel like I've been used in some way.

I really want to confront Anna, and ask her whether or not what we had was real, or whether she was just using me to prove a point, but I really do not know how to go about it. I'm not great with confrontation at all, and this is a delicate subject. I don't want to go in all guns blazing accusing her of stuff for it not to be true. Please help me.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

thecluckmeme posted:

at this point corbyn matters much less than the other seats up for a vote in the upcoming election, but him as a figurehead leftist to reelect has vastly improved the number of people voting for the labour party and, by extension, the seats which would be claimed from blairites.

This post is so badly written that a person reading it could think corbyn has won over voters

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Giving registered supporters a vote was savaged by the left wing of the party when it was initially suggested as the scheme previously had been dreamt up by the right as well

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
oh sorry, didn't see that we were arguing about who's the true leftists, carry on

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yup. The television of today is no different.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

https://m.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/4u0db2/my_17f_exgirlfriend_17f_is_a_political_lesbian/

I found out today that my ex-girlfriend (let's call her Anna) is a political lesbian. We broke up a few weeks ago due to my own mistakes, and we had been together for about 5 months. She was my first real relationship. After we broke up, and had a cooling off period, we decided to still stay friends because we still have a lot in common. We still text sometimes, if I have something funny to show her, but our friendship mainly just consists of liking each others tweets. I was on her twitter today and saw she had changed her bio; in it, in a roundabout way, she stated she was a political lesbian.

For those not in the know it was a movement started up by radical feminists in the 1960s, basically telling women to stop sleeping with men and start sleeping with women as a way to defy the patriarchy. They wanted them to dump their men and either become celibate or sleep with women. Any woman who didn't do this wasn't a feminist, and was aiding in misogyny. Whilst some political lesbians today are lesbians who just appreciate the ideaology, my understanding is that many are actually straight women who sleep exclusively with women to piss off men. I believe that Anna is one of these.

Now I cannot stand political lesbianism. It perpetuates the belief that gay people are gay due to a choice, as well as the stereotype that all lesbians hate men. I think it's misandrical (is that even a word?) and just plain wrong. I've had troubles with coming to terms with my sexuality, and I'm not sure where I fall on the spectrum even now. For her to just play with me like that rubs me so many wrong ways.

I am honestly heartbroken that it seems like Anna and I's relationship was just a way for her to get back at men. It makes me feel that my entire first proper relationship was a complete sham. I had been in one before, when I was younger, but it was long distance and didn't feel as real as this one did. I feel like I've been used in some way.

I really want to confront Anna, and ask her whether or not what we had was real, or whether she was just using me to prove a point, but I really do not know how to go about it. I'm not great with confrontation at all, and this is a delicate subject. I don't want to go in all guns blazing accusing her of stuff for it not to be true. Please help me.

i had to quote this post to make sure there wasn't a wordfilter from feminist to political lesbian

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Some people are gay by choice

That seems self evidently true given your story

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

McDowell posted:

The global hegemony of hereditary wealth certainly isn't scared, they just want him gone for the next season of the red vs. blue punch and judy show.

Sometimes it is good to cancel the long running program for something new. The New Extreme Adventures of Green vs Orange Charlie and Brit program.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
hi McDowell. what an exciting time to be posting!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Small Frozen Thing posted:

This thread got extremely stupid after i left last night i see

the thread was always extremely stupid, turns out

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

paranoid randroid posted:

the thread was always extremely stupid, turns out
public enemy number one, reporting in

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aeryk posted:

hi McDowell. what an exciting time to be posting!

I'm going to play some video games and try not to have mind-numbing anxiety.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

public enemy number one, reporting in

number two, check--

aw, poo

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Honestly that all just reads like you're pissed at her and you're covering it subconsciously with something ideological

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

McDowell posted:

I'm going to play some video games and try not to have mind-numbing anxiety.

from what i've seen your mind could use some numbing

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Let us relive it:

nutranurse posted:

arent potatoes poisonous raw

Gravel Gravy posted:

Yes they give you tuberculosis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Disinterested posted:

Honestly that all just reads like you're pissed at her and you're covering it subconsciously with something ideological

you know L30 just posts bizarre quotes from reddit right

• Locked thread