Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

TSA is a loving nightmare, but seriously, some people go loving ballistic and are super rude/indignant, they mostly keep it together int he TSA line, probably for fear of being arrested and their buttes getting touched, but once they're on the plane hooooooooooolllllyyyyyyy poo poo do the gloves come off. Flight staff are typically pretty understanding and will put up with way more poo poo than they should, honestly some poo poo I've seen done/heard said I'd have just gotten the air marshal/police involved immediately and gotten the fucker off the plane.

*EDIT* I will be honest, I loving hate lines/waiting, 30 minute wait for a table at restaurant A? gently caress it, food is not good enough to wait that long, let's go to the next place.

Time is literally the ONE limited resource that we will always be 100% reliant on, I do not want to waste all my time waiting for something.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My biggest issue with the TSA lines is the stagnant air. Sure, let's just cram 500 people into a tiny space and not point any fans at it. It's not really a temperature issue, the air just loving sits there and gets all swampy and nasty.

Lines are bullshit but they're a fact of life. At least if I'm stuck in a traffic jam in my car I can crank the air if I want and rock out to my music.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have I just been really lucky with US airports because other than an hour-long line at PHL customs I've never really taken a long time to get through them. Last time I flew into the US I was cleared through Chicago arrivals and on the way to a connecting flight quicker than I got back in through Heathrow.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

Have I just been really lucky with US airports because other than an hour-long line at PHL customs I've never really taken a long time to get through them. Last time I flew into the US I was cleared through Chicago arrivals and on the way to a connecting flight quicker than I got back in through Heathrow.

time of day has a huge impact on this, also, (I'm 99% sure this is correct), if you fly in and are connecting, you only go through customs which is somewhat fast unless they want to touch your butt, you do not go through the garbage TSA lines like people walking in off the street do. Some airports are worse than others, apparently ORD and MDW have some of the worst TSA lines, every other airport I've been to in the last 5 years has probably taken 1/2 to 1/3 as long to get through security as ORD and MDW.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So at this point I am stuck. Avaya, the company whose products I support, is circling the drain and about to abandon their core products to spin off a cloud solution company while everything else goes into bankruptcy. In the mean time, any job search I do has Avaya skills in the 'it would be a bonus if you knew this' category. I am starting to get worried that I am screwed.

The only good thing I can see is that the newest Avaya releases leverage VMWare, so I might be able to use that to get certified and claim some experience, but I am starting to worry that I will be taking 2 steps back career wise soon.

What is going on with Avaya? We use their stuff at work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think they're having a bit of a BlackBerry moment - the way people communicate is changing and every single piece of Avaya software I've had to use is pure poo poo that was obviously bought in from whoever bid the lowest.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

MF_James posted:

apparently ORD and MDW have some of the worst TSA lines, every other airport I've been to in the last 5 years has probably taken 1/2 to 1/3 as long to get through security as ORD and MDW.

Literally everything about ORD is the worst and I avoid it at almost all costs, but there's a specific thread for discussing frequent/business travel.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/a20085/how-to-fix-flying/#hack-your-flight

Popular Mechanics has provided this lovely little guide on how to get the cheapest seats, bypass most of the TSA gropefest, and not lose your baggage (sometimes - depends on the airline).

I don't fly, but if I did it would be first class because I am a big loving guy, and I don't want to be any more miserable than my seat mates would be. If I did fly coach I could most assuredly have to get a second seat so that I wasn't elbowing the flyer next to me any time I shifted.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

I always just fly Southwest and I pay the $75 every two years for PreCheck because then my TSA waits are about 5 minutes, no matter the airport.

Plus I fly often enough that i have the Companion Pass and I made it out to a spare seat so I get space enough to relax on every flight for like $20 each way. (Also, I'm tall and big, so it helps with that too!)

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Potato Alley posted:

This reminded me of the story posted on SA long ago of this exact thing happening. I'm sure most of it is embellished or even outright fabricated, but still a good read:

https://sites.google.com/site/forgottenemployee/

That was great! Definitely embellished, or at the very least largely fake but entertaining none the less.

My dream, next to receiving like a years severance pay, is to one day become a forgotten employee so that I can just sit and study and lab all day.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

That was great! Definitely embellished, or at the very least largely fake but entertaining none the less.

My dream, next to receiving like a years severance pay, is to one day become a forgotten employee so that I can just sit and study and lab all day.

I've been a forgotten employee. I filled the time with online courses for the local college. It was horrible. I wouldn't wish that on any person I hate.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

I think they're having a bit of a BlackBerry moment - the way people communicate is changing and every single piece of Avaya software I've had to use is pure poo poo that was obviously bought in from whoever bid the lowest.

Well, that much is true. Thought it was something worse. We have to fight their lovely plugin that connects to Skype for Business all the time.

Our Avaya phones aren't terrible, but some of the backend software is a goddamn mess.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

What is going on with Avaya? We use their stuff at work.

They were bought by a private equity firm that took out large loans to take them private. Then they way overpaid for Nortel's telecom assets, so now their debt load is like 6 billion. Conservatives estimates put the company value at 1.7 billion, so when they tried to IPO to get cash for more wiggle room, they were laughed off of Wall Street. There are rumors that they will be sold, but I think at this point anyone with an interest is waiting for the bankruptcy auction.

From an internal perspective, they outsourced most support, so customers that were used to talking to people with 15 years of experience were all of a sudden dealing with folks with 6 months tops. Not good if support is one of your main sources of cash flow. They also outsourced a lot of their development, which means there were some really nasty software quality issues that bit them. All those laid off employees went to work for business partners who are taking more and more services business from them, or they went to work for customers and know how to work the system.

Technically they are pretty decent, but would you want to be in a forever war with Cisco? It doesn't help that most companies have a whole network team of CCNA/Ps who would love to see CUCM installed. And with the internet of things and SIP, and software based communications, the whole game is changing. On one hand they are getting cut out of the SMB market by Shortel, Mitel and Joe Bob's cheap Voip hosting service, and on the other hand Cisco, and now MS, and Google and everyone trying to do large hosted, disruptive whatever stuff are making large companies look at their options.

Most recently they lost Citi as their biggest customer. Avaya has a number of large financial institutions that provide over half of their income. Citi was with them for years but could only take so much. Once they start losing the big customers, it will pretty much be lights out.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Arsten posted:

I've been a forgotten employee. I filled the time with online courses for the local college. It was horrible. I wouldn't wish that on any person I hate.

Should have done something more fun then.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

So, 25% of the Citrix farm we use for our EPR just died. We're getting alerts from our ERP supplier, but our outsourced IT supplier who hosts the farm? Not a peep yet.
Thankfully not a server admin and not my issue, but just what you want on a Friday morning. Cue lots of users going "The system is slow!!!!" in useless helpdesk calls.

Welp, at least it's an excuse to ignore other work I don't want to do today.

EDIT: Ohh the Citrix guy outsourced IT have is terrible at their job and changed a bunch of network settings incorrectly. Causing this bunch of servers to fall out of the farm. Now we wait for stuff to get unborked and should all be ok again.

Still, not doing any work.

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 22, 2016

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
The best calls always were "OMG OMG I can't work" twice, then you've actually reached someone on the server team and know it's an outage, so you can just tell everyone "There's an outage and it's being worked on. Bye." Suddenly all issues are related to the outage and you don't have to do anything anymore :v:.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
poo poo not pissing me off: New Dell Vortex server arrived, VMWare installed, running (almost) everything virtualised now. MS Data Center License included.
poo poo pissing me off: Apperently our RHEL ERP server was installed with a Virtualisation option during install, and a such, cannot be virtualised.
poo poo not pissing me off: Got the go-ahead to migrate the ERP to a new, up-to-date (Windows) server.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

Should have done something more fun then.

Like what? It's a massive hole that you simply can't fill. You show up, you sit there, and then you do nothing. I can take surfing the web here and there, I can't take doing nothing forever.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Arsten posted:

Like what? It's a massive hole that you simply can't fill. You show up, you sit there, and then you do nothing. I can take surfing the web here and there, I can't take doing nothing forever.

It's a common way of getting rid of employees in Japan: apparently, it's hard to fire them so you simply assign them an empty desk in a windowless room and they quit out of shame/boredom.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Don't know that problem, so many good books I still need to read and you can always fire up a videogame or TV series if you are a forgotten employee.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
One of our field reps (the same one who always bitches about menial poo poo) mailed in that his phone is broken and cannot dial numbers from E-mail, rah rah rah worst phone evar.

Long story short his office agent mailed him a phone number as some kind of web link, to which Outlook on his Nokia Lumia couldn't interpret or copy into the dialler. I tell him his agent to send messages in plain text rather than whatever funky formatting he's doing, of course like a bull seeing red he doesn't listen to reason and just says it doesn't work despite the simple proof I send.

I feel like I've achieved Zen this week, massive service affecting failures across the board and I've just let it wash over me. :coal:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SEKCobra posted:

Don't know that problem, so many good books I still need to read and you can always fire up a videogame or TV series if you are a forgotten employee.

See also; being on night shift in a NOC 95% of the time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SEKCobra posted:

I'd be concerned with skill atrophy after a while. This is longest I've ever worked for a single company, and if it wasn't for promotions and continually evolving responsibilities, I'd probably be more antsy to move on. If they shuffled me into a "forgotten job", I'd probably look to move pretty quickly.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

spog posted:

It's a common way of getting rid of employees in Japan: apparently, it's hard to fire them so you simply assign them an empty desk in a windowless room and they quit out of shame/boredom.

Are there any Japanese here? Are they willing to finally just admit they are pure evil as a country? :devil:

SEKCobra posted:

Forgotten does not mean 'unobserved'. You fire up a game, you'll get pegged by the network guys. You play TV, assuming streaming, the same. If you bring in TV on your phone/whatever, other employees will notice and complain - especially if they are overloaded. This sort of thing is usually followed by termination.

If you are a forgotten employee, it's because you haven't spoken up to be like "Hey, what do y ou need me for?" which means you want to keep the job for some reason.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

See also; being on night shift in a NOC 95% of the time.

Overnight is a little bit different. People expect you to have gaps to fill but they still want a body in the seat for when someone drunkenly plows through the data center. Gaming and TV most companies won't care about unless you are mucking something up.

flosofl posted:

I'd be concerned with skill atrophy after a while. This is longest I've ever worked for a single company, and if it wasn't for promotions and continually evolving responsibilities, I'd probably be more antsy to move on. If they shuffled me into a "forgotten job", I'd probably look to move pretty quickly.

This is another problem. Everyone needs to be able to grow.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

poo poo pissing me off: Our environments for our product have been a dumpster fire for about 6 weeks.

Things not pissing me off since I got the e-mail this morning:

quote:

---List of common sense poo poo your team should be doing including monitoring / rollbacks / feature toggles /etc ----

To accommodate these efforts, we will be pausing feature development efforts for a month. There are certain to be some case-by-case exceptions, but unless expressed explicitly, these robustness efforts will trump any other epics. Teams should also take the opportunity to capture technical debt related to reliability/fault tolerance/self healing/deploy automation/testing in Jira; please tag these issues with the technical-debt label. We'll work to prioritize these along with the cross-cutting efforts as possible.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Password policy at my current place of work
  • We use the same password for a lot of different accounts, several with root/admin access
  • People here give out this password on the phone without a second thought

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Any chance you can run a simulated phishing attack to quantify just how much data and infrastructure can be lost / stolen / destroyed?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Any chance you can run a simulated phishing attack to quantify just how much data and infrastructure can be lost / stolen / destroyed?

They'd probably ignore anything except external pentesting by a consultant because nobody inside the company will use another user's password, surely.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I have a little faith here that people might be wary enough of a dodgy looking email, unless it was spoofed to come from a client email address. Over the phone though? Not even a pause.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
So simulate that. Have an outside number call and say they work for the help desk (using a cell phone for $reason if questioned on it), get the password, run some powershell commands to see how much you can gently caress up from outside the network and hand it in. Get somebody from various departments to quantify how much that data is worth in lost time or decrease of consumer confidence.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Just decommissioned the last Windows 2003 server. :dance:
Next step is getting the remaining 2008 servers up to 2012R2

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

So simulate that. Have an outside number call and say they work for the help desk (using a cell phone for $reason if questioned on it), get the password, run some powershell commands to see how much you can gently caress up from outside the network and hand it in. Get somebody from various departments to quantify how much that data is worth in lost time or decrease of consumer confidence.

Sounds like a great way to get thrown in jail because congrats you just embarrassed the top brass and they're gonna want blood. If you're gonna go down that road you need some kind of hard copy signed approval from upper management or no go.

Maybe Snowden has a spare bunk.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

xzzy posted:

Sounds like a great way to get thrown in jail because congrats you just embarrassed the top brass and they're gonna want blood. If you're gonna go down that road you need some kind of hard copy signed approval from upper management or no go.

Maybe Snowden has a spare bunk.

My armchair lawyering degree tells me you won't be breaking a law if you're using a password you already knew and access information you were approved to access anyways.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I came in to work this morning and right away I heard the idiot office manager having one of his loud telephone conversations. I’ll summarize:

1. We should nuke Mecca
2. We should “send Muslim mothers their first-born in a body bag with a bullet in their head and their balls stuffed in their mouths”
3. We should shoot them with bacon bullets
4. We should make prisoners eat bacon

And so on, sprinkled with obscenities.

I was furious for multiple reasons and had to leave the building before I said something. At this workplace I would only come out the loser. (Ex: CEO is a major AIPAC fundraiser)

As I stepped out of my office I couldn't help but stand there a moment and stare daggers at the back of his head. Perhaps he felt them because he turned around and looked at me, and I looked back and then he returned to his conversation.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dick Trauma posted:

idiot office manager

What a delightful sounding human!

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Sefal posted:

Just decommissioned the last Windows 2003 server. :dance:
Next step is getting the remaining 2008 servers up to 2012R2

We are almost there too! The last one or 2 are related to our Sharepoint 2003 setup, running on SQL 2000. Yea. Can't wait to get that upgraded to the new and improved dumpster fire that is Sharepoint 2013.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Moey posted:

What a delightful sounding human!

He is beloved by all and can literally do no wrong.

I will go to my grave never understanding why the world always seemed so upside down.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
DT in Two Years: Well, my boss is a Literal Nazi murdering my neighbor, but if I confront him I'll lose my job.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gounads posted:

My armchair lawyering degree tells me you won't be breaking a law if you're using a password you already knew and access information you were approved to access anyways.

Maybe you're right but the way US laws get to define "unauthorized access" on the fly make it a sketchy proposition. Even if you win in court the defense could be ruinous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

A lovely Reporter posted:

DT in Two Years: Well, my boss is a Literal Nazi murdering my neighbor, but if I confront him I'll lose my job.

If I can hang onto this job for two more years that will be pretty good! :kiddo: