Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I guess maybe try doing a 3D rasterizer without using matrices at all and then it'll become a little bit more clear why they're useful. In programming terms they're an abstraction that takes a bunch of seemingly-different tasks and turns them into different instances of the same task, allowing you to use the same code and techniques for all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if you don't find that confusing enough you can always just use two cameras to locate your points in space :v:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

affine transformation matrices aren't that confusing. you staple a translation vector next to a rotation matrix then add some filler content to keep the square matrix properties happy and multiply it by your original vector that's had a row stapled on to it too so it matches your new matrix and bam you've got rotation and translation all rolled into one

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

inside my brain right now. i am at that sort of foggy half-getting-it point that i got to with the dynamic programming chunk of my algorithms course. i never really got further than that (although this may be because the instructor was an accomplished theorist and mathematician and taught everything proof-first(-and-only)).

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
oh hey, his doctoral thesis was so good they actually published it and you can buy it on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Randomness-C...&s=books&sr=1-1

i really liked him on a personal level, but he had no ability at all to relate concepts outside of abstract mathematical frameworks. he introduced each algorithm with a proof by induction, and then basically left it at "the implementation follows from this".

edit: reading the preview pages, he's actually way more concise and relatable in this than he was in his lectures. he said his exclusive research domain in the last decade+ has been into np-complete problems, finding new special cases of them that are computable, and also in trying to find ways to solve the np-complete versions without brute force (which he admitted might be naive but he only finds the proofs that np-complete problems are uncomputable to be 98% convincing, which is a really serious and solemn statement from him if you've met him). soooo, maybe spending all his time on an insanely theoretical and mathy domain kinda hosed up his ability to relate to normies.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 22, 2016

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

uncurable mlady posted:

go dependency management is awful yeah, but pretty much everything else is great

isnt go that language pram was in love with

rip pram.. any way I can get in touch with that glorious mothercucker

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

Bloody posted:

why do my unit tests occasionally just halt with no given reason
not abort, not fail, just halt. stops everyone else from executing too. wtf

that means the tests are failing so badly it's crashing the runner process and it can't even report what the error is
debug the tests with break-on-exceptions on

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

echinopsis posted:

isnt go that language pram was in love with

rip pram.. any way I can get in touch with that glorious mothercucker

yeah. it's good but it sounds bad.

mlyp

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Gul Banana posted:

that means the tests are failing so badly it's crashing the runner process and it can't even report what the error is
debug the tests with break-on-exceptions on

I didn't even know I could turn that off

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
that feel when you gently caress up so badly that you not only crash your process but you take Valgrind with it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nothing compared to taking a kernel level driver with you

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

if your computer doesnt catch on fire and sink into the center of the earth i dont even

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

fritz posted:

if your computer doesnt catch on fire and sink into the center of the earth i dont even

just use JavaScript If you want to get that close to the metal

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

question: does ruby properly compile machine code? or do you need like a ruby runtime? or does it cross-compile to java or some other nonsense?

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

there is an interpreter which runs .rb files
i don't think it JITs them or anything, it's pretty slow

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it looks like maybe sometimes i have zombie threads and that makes the test runner upset, although different upset:
Warning: System.AppDomainUnloadedException: Attempted to access an unloaded AppDomain. This can happen if the test(s) started a thread but did not stop it. Make sure that all the threads started by the test(s) are stopped before completion.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

HoboMan posted:

question: does ruby properly compile machine code? or do you need like a ruby runtime? or does it cross-compile to java or some other nonsense?

yes.

there are quite a few ruby implementations

* mri reads ruby code directly and then executes it on its runtime
* rubinius compiles ruby code to its rubyvm opcodes, which it then executes on its runtime.
* jruby converts ruby into jvm opcodes, and can produce jars
* topaz was going to be a jotted version on top of the pypy toolchain but it's dead
* I think there's an ironruby on .net

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
jruby has a truffle/graal version now

upside: it no longer takes 30 seconds to start up
downside: who the hell has a truffle/graal enabled jvm

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

who the gently caress comes up with these names

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
oh goody today I get to troubleshoot and debug business logic in javascript

kill me

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

that's me every day lol

fixed a js bug already today

e: chome's debugger is quite good, but ie's is integrated into vs so i have to constantly switch-off

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 22, 2016

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

jruby has a truffle/graal version now

upside: it no longer takes 30 seconds to start up
downside: who the hell has a truffle/graal enabled jvm

truffle ruby looks impressive. unfortunately speed is not even the main problem with ruby

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

truffle ruby looks impressive. unfortunately speed is not even the main problem with ruby

ruby's about page is really funny.

no variable declarations! this is good i swear! no it's not confusing you see because the scope will be obvious from context!

also this image being used to brag how popular ruby is:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

this really says it all

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

unfortunately speed is not even the main problem with ruby

enough nils being passed around to give you nightmares?

OR

"what we need here is another dsl"?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

today i get to orchestrate scheduling of long-running real-time events between a PC and an FPGA and the amount of state that fully describes the system of events is too large to fit on the FPGA so i have to send state updates from a PC to the FPGA and not miss real-time constraints lmao kill me

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

luckily the state transitions are every 10 milliseconds and the state description is, like, a kilobit. i'd still kill for a microcontroller on the other end tho

the other end, in this case, actually being either end of the connection

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ruby: so bad that even javascript is better

ruby: at least we're not php!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

.net has 4 timer types and im not seeing huge differences between them

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

.net has 4 timer types and im not seeing huge differences between them

this looks like the best explanation: https://web.archive.org/web/20150329101415/https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc164015.aspx

its even more MS than I remembered. (bonus: needing to use archive.org to find a useful article in an old msdn magazine)

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

after the peak it's a pretty clean exponential decay there allowing me to calculate the half-life of the ruby ecosystem to be about 3 years

or to put in another way: about 1/5th of ruby devs are eliminated every year

or to put it yet another way: nowhere near fast enough

e: fixed for bad math

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 22, 2016

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

after years of using python i finally learned how 2 yield. thanks c#

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh god oh no some actual ms programmer saw my post in teh grey thread and wrote like 2 pages in response to it. i'm afraid to read it. augh

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

fritz posted:

in september we'll be interfacing with an industrial bakery's systems, including the thing that preheats the ingredients

if I play my cards just right I'll finally be able to brag that "my mixin is fire yo"

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

GameCube posted:

oh god oh no some actual ms programmer saw my post in teh grey thread and wrote like 2 pages in response to it. i'm afraid to read it. augh

lol which post

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

FamDav posted:

lol which post

I think GameCube means this response: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644791&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=140#post462365831

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

GameCube posted:

ljw1004 is a Good Dude, read the post imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have a discrete math problem! i have the following system:

(Ax * Ay) + (Bx * By) = Cx * Cy
Ay + By = Cy * K

Ax, Bx, Cx in (1:1024)
Ay, By, Cy in (1:0.5:100)
K in 1:0.5:5

given Cx, Cy, and K, i want to solve for Ax, Ay, Bx, and By, under the constraints that:
Ideally, Bx * By = 0
if thats impossible, min(Ax - Bx)
(not all valid inputs have valid outputs and thats OK)

how do i solve this short of brute force
is there a way to solve this short of brute force

• Locked thread