Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Futaba Anzu posted:

Well rather I want to know if "Vault: Increases the power of all aerial attacks and makes it easier to topple monsters. (Aerial attacks deal x1.1 damage)" is worth it over +20 raw Attack. Is there any additional math going into it or is that x1.1 damage just straight up applying x1.1 to whatever Attack value I have listed in Status?

All damage goes through the same formula so you can just drop that part of the equation and worry about comparing damage increasing. So you won't see vault compare to AuL until 200 raw and that's basically very much the end of the game and even then only a subset of attacks.

Very little can really compare to AuL, especially since it's a much more expensive skill point wise.

Btw vault is just damage I think, rodeo god is for easier mounting unless there's a compound skill I missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nechronic posted:

If yall aren't using automatic hunter art call outs to be as anime as possible I'm gonna need you to fix that immediately

how do I set this up?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Anyone done that nubbin mod? Seems janky.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Snak posted:

how do I set this up?

They're already there in your chat presets, just disabled. So you can edit them and enable them.

Fuzz posted:

Anyone done that nubbin mod? Seems janky.

a few pages back there was a discussion about this, actually

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Mortimer posted:

Bows feel real bad in this one.

Weird, because everything I've seen/heard has told me that the bow is monstrously powerful this time around, Teo Bow specifically. Shamelessly dredged from the last thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGxxXQx98NE

Mortimer posted:

I'm glad bow has at least one intricate thing about it, because the rest of the gameplay is keeping at critical distance and holding r and pressing a over and over until the thing dies.

That's all of the ranged weapons though. And Greatsword. Position properly -> Use your one attack -> Repeat.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Re: Lagi, Adept is real good against those lingering AoE attacks. Either that or use a blocking weapon, lance was my go-to Lagi killer in MH3.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
So this is my first MH game, when I started I picked that UI configuration that said as much and moved my map down to the bottom screen. Is there a way to reverse this or select the other mode now that I'm more comfortable with the game?

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Just get rid of the map panel down there, and it'll automatically show up on the top screen.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

But why? Having the map on the bottom screen owns :colbert:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Cause eventually you stop getting the maps and only see the room you are in and a rough approx of where your allies are, so it's basically wasted screen space unless you like to play with the Zoomed In map all the time, which if you do then by all means.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I just learned this so no idea how many games it has been in but if you put the map on the top screen then turn it off it the options it will still show when you press and hold L. This opens up so much bottom screen real estate.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Wafflz posted:

I just learned this so no idea how many games it has been in but if you put the map on the top screen then turn it off it the options it will still show when you press and hold L. This opens up so much bottom screen real estate.

Whoa, thanks. Guess I'm reorganizing my bottom screen when I get home from work tonight.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
What are people doing for cash in this one? I just gathered up a bunch of mats to upgrade all my guns but didn't get enough zeny in the interim. Should I just farm Arzuros or something equally fast?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Mortimer posted:

Bows feel real bad in this one. I've got focus/weakness exploit/attack up M with 2nd rank teostra bow and still manage like 8 minute solo hunts. Hammer/LS/HBG times are half that.

Bow requiring stamina to attack is another dumb thing, you actually have to pay attention to your stamina bar because if you get a stamina status effect or attack one too many times, you can't roll. Status especially, my first run out I got a frozen effect from lacgombi and didn't have nulberries. It meant I couldn't attack because the stamina bar drained full to zero in a single charge.

I'm glad bow has at least one intricate thing about it, because the rest of the gameplay is keeping at critical distance and holding r and pressing a over and over until the thing dies.

:shrug: Unless you really love bows or are absolutely insane (and japanese) at adept dodging every single attack, bows are not a great weapon. The speedrunners drop focus and rely entirely on adept dodging to charge which is ultra high risk high reward but that's how you do it I guess.

like most problems in monster hunter, this can be solved with use of consumables, namely: Dash Juice

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
For bows, I've found Marathon Runner better than focus just in terms of sustain. same thing with hammer.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rainuwastaken posted:

Weird, because everything I've seen/heard has told me that the bow is monstrously powerful this time around, Teo Bow specifically. Shamelessly dredged from the last thread:

This is.. this is disgusting.

I will never not be amazed at Monster Hunter speed kills. :magical:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

That's all of the ranged weapons though. And Greatsword. Position properly -> Use your one attack -> Repeat.

I don't think mlg pro bow users are a good comparison for us regular folks. Without chugging super dash juice bow doesn't feel great. Adept bow is a high risk high reward weapon that only shines if you play it that way.

Greatsword is simple, sure, but LBG and HBG at least have strategies like siege fire and alternate bullets instead of "power coating only"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've played more MH4U in the last three days than in the six months before that, just because of all the people being hype about MHGen.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Foreskin Problems posted:

What are people doing for cash in this one? I just gathered up a bunch of mats to upgrade all my guns but didn't get enough zeny in the interim. Should I just farm Arzuros or something equally fast?

farming monsters and selling the parts

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Inflammatory posted:

farming monsters and selling the parts

Yeah I just hit high rank and it is really easy to just annihilate the little seltas with aerial switchaxe in like 3 minutes with pubs.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Selling the scales you get from Meownster Hunters seems like it would be a good source of extra cash, since you can get up to 8 of them per quest.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Mortimer posted:

Bows feel real bad in this one. I've got focus/weakness exploit/attack up M with 2nd rank teostra bow and still manage like 8 minute solo hunts. Hammer/LS/HBG times are half that.

Bow requiring stamina to attack is another dumb thing, you actually have to pay attention to your stamina bar because if you get a stamina status effect or attack one too many times, you can't roll. Status especially, my first run out I got a frozen effect from lacgombi and didn't have nulberries. It meant I couldn't attack because the stamina bar drained full to zero in a single charge.

:shrug: Unless you really love bows or are absolutely insane (and japanese) at adept dodging every single attack, bows are not a great weapon. The speedrunners drop focus and rely entirely on adept dodging to charge which is ultra high risk high reward but that's how you do it I guess.

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. I realize I'm in "SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET!" territory but come on man! Bows in every previous game (barring the Kelbi bow silliness in Tri) were near the bottom of the kill-time pile if not at the very bottom and now they are at the top. Bows have only gained moves (backhop->backroll->instacharge, power shot on all bows) and effects (more coatings, styles, hunter arts) so how on earth do they "feel real bad in this one", which implies they felt good in other games, when in older games they were both absolutely and relatively weaker. I understand it's your subjective opinion but have some perspective, objectively they are good now whereas before they were objectively bad (in the context of weapon performance compared to other weapons, all weapons are generally viable in MH games).

Furthermore (:goonsay: I know), to say that "the speedrunners" are dropping focus and relying entirely on adept charging is flat out wrong. Top clear times generally barely give the monster an opportunity to attack, let alone attack in a way that allows for constant adept dodging.

It's fine to say "I don't like bows" but plenty of non "MLG Pros" are having a great time with the weapon because it is objectively better than it ever has been by any metric that matters in MH.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 22, 2016

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Mortimer posted:

Greatsword is simple, sure, but LBG and HBG at least have strategies like siege fire and alternate bullets instead of "power coating only"

Whoa, when do I unlock bullets other than Pierce 1/2/3?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I tried bows while chugging mega dash juice and the bow is better

it's still wonky as gently caress and not as much fun as aerial anything but it's pretty nice. Sucks that you're tied to a consumable like that though.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Whoa, when do I unlock bullets other than Pierce 1/2/3?

When you get mizutsune HBG innate water pierce or are killing deviant rabbits with tiny models and want to use normal 2 instead, or when you realize there aren't any siege pierce 3 HBGs in the game

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

a harpy posted:

I've never played LS before this game, but I picked it up early (aerial LS is so much fun) and just got to HR. What's some armor I should be going for? Anything early in HR that can carry me far?

The (Shogun) Ceanataur S set with the Seregios LS is what I'll be rocking until endgame, probably. Gives Critical +3 and Sharpness with pretty good defense (the most important stat!) Paired with Seregios' LS is a little more suited to Adept, since rolling sharpens Seregios weapons and Adept has you rolling a lot, but it's still a solid LS, complements the Crit +3 with its 20% affinity, and is one of the earliest LS you can get with blue sharpness. You can get the LS in HR4 and Ceanataur set in HR5.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I randomly made some armor with the Water ATK skill. Is there any way to take advantage of this without actually having a weapon that has water damage? From what I can tell I'm still way too low level to craft water weapons (town level 2 still).

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Jmcrofts posted:

I randomly made some armor with the Water ATK skill. Is there any way to take advantage of this without actually having a weapon that has water damage? From what I can tell I'm still way too low level to craft water weapons (town level 2 still).

I'm pretty sure it can only enhance a weapon that already does water damage.

Use it as an opportunity to make some water dual blades or a Glaive and go nuts.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I find I'm getting enough money just from doing quests. I just hit HR and I have over 100K of both zenny and points. Haven't had to sell monster parts. Though I have done quests multiple times to farm armor sets, gone on many gathering runs, etc. You get more from doing online than offline.

I know Gaijinhunter said that currency was scarce in this game but I'm not really feeling that way. Maybe in the first few hours of the game.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I'm probably missing something obvious, but after like, 4 MH games, I've been stonewalled by...an Egg Delivery quest.

3 star village, the one where you first meet the flying electric wyvern guy . Both adjacent areas to the nest just seem to have drops that shatter my egg. What am I meant to do here? Is there an alternate route?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

I'm probably missing something obvious, but after like, 4 MH games, I've been stonewalled by...an Egg Delivery quest.

3 star village, the one where you first meet the flying electric wyvern guy . Both adjacent areas to the nest just seem to have drops that shatter my egg. What am I meant to do here? Is there an alternate route?

2 things you can do:

1. Eat for felyne lander, you can then just jump off the cliff (don't press B)
2. Walk (don't press R) up to the cliff edge until you get the prompt, press A to climb down.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Wafflz posted:

2 things you can do:

1. Eat for felyne lander, you can then just jump off the cliff (don't press B)
2. Walk (don't press R) up to the cliff edge until you get the prompt, press A to climb down.

You can climb with the eggs? :aaa:

Well, that's embarrassing. Thanks.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Electric Lady posted:

I find I'm getting enough money just from doing quests. I just hit HR and I have over 100K of both zenny and points. Haven't had to sell monster parts. Though I have done quests multiple times to farm armor sets, gone on many gathering runs, etc. You get more from doing online than offline.

I know Gaijinhunter said that currency was scarce in this game but I'm not really feeling that way. Maybe in the first few hours of the game.

A single HR weapon upgrade will run you 20k. Minimum. That 100k of yours is about to rapidly evaporate.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

What the hell happened at 1:29? He changed his coating and then it made a bunch of noises while the coating icons up there reloaded, or something.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Bummey posted:

What the hell happened at 1:29? He changed his coating and then it made a bunch of noises while the coating icons up there reloaded, or something.

He crafted more on the bottom screen, I think.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

A single HR weapon upgrade will run you 20k. Minimum. That 100k of yours is about to rapidly evaporate.

Do the charm farming HR6 quest with a group of 4 and you make like 300000 in less than an hour, just sell the ore and bad charms and bad weapons.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

You can climb with the eggs? :aaa:

Well, that's embarrassing. Thanks.

np, the best way to do transport missions

1. Create the Loc Lac armor set, it's only 3 pieces
2. Combine bitter bug and honey for catalyst then combine catalyst with rare steak for dash juice
3. Eat for felyne lander
4. Run to the item, drink the juice, pick up the item and run all the way back.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Wafflz posted:

np, the best way to do transport missions

1. Create the Loc Lac armor set, it's only 3 pieces
2. Combine bitter bug and honey for catalyst then combine catalyst with rare steak for dash juice
3. Eat for felyne lander
4. Run to the item, drink the juice, pick up the item and run all the way back.

Make poison bombs (stone + sap plant for bomb casings, those + toadstools for poison bombs) and use those to kill those ant things that eat stuff and have their butts inflate. (Also, check out my DeviantArt page where I draw exclusively that.)

Poison bombs are also great for getting parts from the three types of annoying flying bugs. You know the ones. Barbara and her friends.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Make poison bombs (stone + sap plant for bomb casings, those + toadstools for poison bombs) and use those to kill those ant things that eat stuff and have their butts inflate. (Also, check out my DeviantArt page where I draw exclusively that.)

Poison bombs are also great for getting parts from the three types of annoying flying bugs. You know the ones. Barbara and her friends.

It used to be that you could have a torch, and it would attract the bugs to one place. I haven't seen torches in this version, so I don't know if they're in, but if you need bugs, and you have poison bombs, try to attract them all to one place without hitting them, THEN bomb them. The poison cloud sticks around for a few seconds, so if you can get them to walk through it, that ought to work. 10-15 seconds later, they'll go SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEE and die and then you can carve them for bug parts.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Friends I have seen the light and it is aerial Gunlance

I can't wait to get the Gore Magala GL tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
If you're killing bugs for parts, I recommend making a bowgun that can shoot poison rounds. I went with Arbalest, but there are other options. The main takeaway you want is low raw, so early-game weapons. You just want to be able to inflict Poison in one shot without killing the target.

• Locked thread