Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Tatumje posted:

I can't test it at the moment, but Analog should be able to track lfo to pitch. I think is "rate>key" or some similarly named parameter.

Hmm. I'm not seeing it. I can change how much the LFO affects the pitch (LFO under Pitch Mod), but I can't see any way of affecting the LFO with keyboard tracking...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Massive definitely does it. There's a (yellow) mod source of the note value, lower right quadrant

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

wayfinder posted:

Massive definitely does it. There's a (yellow) mod source of the note value, lower right quadrant

Bitchin'. Got it. Thanks.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Mr. Sharps posted:

Man if I had to do that I would just sell the thing for parts and use the cash toward something cool like a standalone module (dreadbox erebus maybe?) that fills the same sort of role. Then again, I was never hugely enamored with the sound of my microbrute. I wound up selling it to a bassist friend who now uses it on his pedalboard.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's going to go bye-bye once it's back working. If something breaks with minimal use and movement within 4 months you begin to wonder whether it's just a toy and not an instrument (it breaks the illusion atleast). Now that they're additionally utterly unresponsive, I'll be riveting that coffin shut.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Didn't grab the BSpro and don't even want to look at the matrixbrute because of stuff like that.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Popcorn posted:

Bitchin'. Got it. Thanks.

Hmm. I'm not sure this LFO was affecting the pitch but the amplitude. Sheesh, this stuff is still just out of my comprehension.

Putting aside how to recreate it, can anyone confirm what's happening on the Prophet 600 itself in the video clip? I'm just curious.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah that's Tremolo

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Startyde posted:

Didn't grab the BSpro and don't even want to look at the matrixbrute because of stuff like that.

Had the BSpro briefly, actually seemed to be really well built. I wouldn't trust the power connector though.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I stepped on my BSP's power cable a month ago and knocked it on the floor. I was really lucky that the socket remained intact. The pads and knobs feel a little loose now, but everything seems to function. I doubt I could get away with that again.

So Math fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 16, 2016

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Speaking of such things, I just got my machinedrum and this thing is like a boat anchor, heavy af. Feels like a solid piece of aluminum with buttons poking out of it. I was worried about dropping a grand on a drum machine but I'm loving it so far. Does the rest of Elektron's stuff share the same build quality?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Malekko Joystick Axis Generator and 4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator acquired.

:getin:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

ozmunkeh posted:

Speaking of such things, I just got my machinedrum and this thing is like a boat anchor, heavy af. Feels like a solid piece of aluminum with buttons poking out of it. I was worried about dropping a grand on a drum machine but I'm loving it so far. Does the rest of Elektron's stuff share the same build quality?

Pretty much. Nice bent metal cases, thick plastic on the switch caps. People complain about the wiggly feel of the encoders but I haven't had to replace one yet. The Monomachine's joystick was fragile af, A4's is chunkier but less precise. I'd rather traditional wheel pair personally.

HandlingByJebus posted:

Malekko Joystick Axis Generator and 4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator acquired.

:getin:

:yum:
My latest acquisition is a squarp pyramid and a grendel grenadier.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Startyde posted:

Pretty much. Nice bent metal cases, thick plastic on the switch caps. People complain about the wiggly feel of the encoders but I haven't had to replace one yet. The Monomachine's joystick was fragile af, A4's is chunkier but less precise. I'd rather traditional wheel pair personally.

:yum:
My latest acquisition is a squarp pyramid and a grendel grenadier.

I'm very curious to hear about hands-on experience with the squarp. I'm really intrigued by it, but it's hard to justify for me, since I never move my gear and in theory could control everything from Live just as easily as getting a dedicated hardware sequencer/whatever. But I'd love to get away from living in a DAW.

That said, I still don't totally "get" sequencers in the same way I understand DAWs, similar to what somebody was saying a day or two ago.

On that subject, what's a good way to get a feel for a more traditional sequencer workflow? I've got Live, like I said, but I have barely used it and I won't have a chance to sink much time into it for a while. I also have an iPad, if there's a good sequencer to learn with. Basically I just don't have any experience with that workflow and could do with some training wheels.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ozmunkeh posted:

I'm currently about 3 weeks in trying without success to get an RMA for my Rytm that no longer starts successfully despite it sitting on my desk since getting it a few months ago, so I'm not super impressed with Elektron at this point tbh. After several attempts I got as far as the diag menu where it shows an error code on the FPGA. Oh joy!

Elektron have a ticket system on their website which is apparently totally disconnected from a separate repair service in LA, who I assume was outsourced. The ticket system has been very nice to deal with, whereas I've had total silence trying to contact the repair office for the last two weeks (per the instructions provided by the ticket).

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Mr. Glass posted:

speaking of samplers, i impulse-bought an MPC1000 the other night. there seems to be a lot of information online of varying levels of quality -- anyone have any essential tutorials recommendations or general tips?

Jeremy Ellis has some really good fundamental pad drumming tuts if that's your thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEpLD6vD43E

jvilmi
May 29, 2004

h_double posted:

Jeremy Ellis has some really good fundamental pad drumming tuts if that's your thing.

Also http://melodics.com/ is the Guitar Hero / Rock Smith for finger drumming, and looked decent enough based on the free lessons I tried.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm very curious to hear about hands-on experience with the squarp. I'm really intrigued by it, but it's hard to justify for me, since I never move my gear and in theory could control everything from Live just as easily as getting a dedicated hardware sequencer/whatever. But I'd love to get away from living in a DAW.

It's interesting, a different paradigm than I'm used to. It's more like live in that sequences are really more like 'clips' that are launched rather than patterns turned into chains, or a linear sequence. The song mode just tracks mute groups. This makes it very quick to use but would make a set require some careful planning, sequencer stops when loading a project. I picked it up to explore the euclidean mode mostly. Its MIDI fx are great, not unlike some of the ones on the RM1x/RS7k but realtime. Step input, everything is x0x-style and they get around the 16-step limitation by letting you zoom in and out and then 'paging' back and forth through your sequence.

The good- base functions easy to grok even with just the quickstart overlay, CV IN destination can affect MIDI out, xy pad, SD card for saves, light but chassis seems sturdy. Company seems very motivated to continually improve the OS. Even in the couple months I've had it they've added features.
The bad- the entire face is a thick vinyl overlay, even the LCD and touchpad cover, I'm sure it's much cheaper to manufacture that way but... I'm also not too confident in the protection on the CV IO- MIDI clocking SQ1 driving the modular, CV out clocking a sequencer in the modular made the thing just reboot. That said, haven't hit up support to get it sorted yet.
The meh- EVERYTHING is a two-button chord to mode switch and requires loads of use of that one push-button encoder knob. Really should be a big jog wheel further from the screen. Pads are squishy rubber but aren't velocity sensitive. They do feel great but I'd prefer regular switches if I can't have velocity.

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
Someone near me is selling a Polivoks, asking $700 and says it was serviced in 2014.

So, my question for the team is, "How do I resist the urge to spend my kid's college fund on Soviet era synthesizers?"

HerzogZwo fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 21, 2016

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Electribe land is blowing up, Korg added undo and pattern chaining to the new updates. It's still kinda gimpy for a song mode, but 10,000 times better than none at all. They also released red and blue versions too, for nostalgia.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 22, 2016

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

HerzogZwo posted:

Someone near me is selling a Polivoks, asking $700 and says it was serviced in 2014.

So, my question for the team is, "How do I resist the urge to spend my kid's college fund on Soviet era synthesizers?"

You don't?

I'm confused by your question.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

If 700$ is his college fund it ain't happening anyway, might as well.

Graceful Flop
Feb 1, 2014

Dive in.
Moog is making the Minimoog Model D again.

$3.75K pricetag, limited production.

I've never owned a hardware synth before, but I enjoy experimenting with VSTs - would it be better to try and scrap together the money for a :stwoon:-inducing piece of kit like this or the Virus, or should I look around for a budget model and learn its ins and outs to get an idea of the differences between hardware and softsynths before making a massive investment? Either way I'm not putting down money on anything until I can afford it and I'm better at getting the sounds I want out of my softsynths.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Graceful Flop posted:

I've never owned a hardware synth before, but I enjoy experimenting with VSTs - would it be better to try and scrap together the money for a :stwoon:-inducing piece of kit like this or the Virus, or should I look around for a budget model and learn its ins and outs to get an idea of the differences between hardware and softsynths before making a massive investment? Either way I'm not putting down money on anything until I can afford it and I'm better at getting the sounds I want out of my softsynths.

Virus is boring and overpriced, very disappointed. If you want a MOOG why not get a 2nd hand Voyager - cheaper, more features?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

VOS man

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Graceful Flop posted:

Sub-37 would be a better studio piece - these are really for investment and collection.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'd definitely take a Voyager or Sub-Phatty over a Model D. I played around with one of the prototypes of the new Model D at GearFest and was super underwhelmed. As it stands we have a Little Phatty SE II and two Mothers; most of my Moog lust is sated. (But dat Voyager XL is still hottttt)

Graceful Flop
Feb 1, 2014

Dive in.
I'll probably do my homework on the Sub Phatty versus the Sub 37 and pick up one of those when I'm ready to put together an actual studio setup.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Graceful Flop posted:

I'll probably do my homework on the Sub Phatty versus the Sub 37 and pick up one of those when I'm ready to put together an actual studio setup.

Yeah I meant the Sub-37, sorry. The regular Sub Phatty is nice but there's so much more on the Sub-37. All the controls I wish the LP had on the front panel, plus some more.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Graceful Flop posted:

On the S37, you want the second revision with the filter fixes - but yeah, it's much more of an everyday synth than the Model D. Relatively, though, both are pretty situational. I'd get more mileage out of something like an OB-6 if we're talking $2000+.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

just get a x0xb0x, not as flexible as the D but its got an equally classic sound (beautiful filters, though a bit rougher) and for the price you can get a couple plus a midipal for polyphony (!!!)

acid chords :getin:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Buy the Virus and a Leipzig S for the same price silly.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I like the TB 3 a lot if we're talking acid boxes

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

just get a x0xb0x, not as flexible as the D but its got an equally classic sound (beautiful filters, though a bit rougher) and for the price you can get a couple plus a midipal for polyphony (!!!)

acid chords :getin:

Has this been done I need to know what this sounds like.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

net work error posted:

Has this been done I need to know what this sounds like.

I did a bit w/ a sampler as a proof of concept and its pretty cool but you're gonna have to take my word for it cause my sound card cable died in the process of recording. ACIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDD.

The real thing would probably be even better cause you'd get the Oberheim 4-Voice 'slightly different voice settings' thing going on... poo poo, I really want to try it now.

edit: here

https://soundcloud.com/space-mage/acidchord

Weird stuff with my sound card yesterday... I thought maybe it overheated but I couldn't get any other signal through the fire wire cord (from my hard drive for example), then today I plugged it out and in and no issues recording. It's a MOTU 828 Mk1 I got very used, running through a Thunderbolt adapter - which should work, until it doesn't anyway (going by other people's experiences). Anyone ever have firewire cords temporarily fail?

JamesKPolk fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 23, 2016

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Startyde posted:

If 700$ is his college fund it ain't happening anyway, might as well.

My dad spent my college fund on a Porsche and a bunch of powertools he never used (most of them sit unopened in the box to this day). Compared to that I'd actually be proud of my dad if he bought a Polivoks haha.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Uli Behringer posted:

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

Welp, it's a 12 voice poly. All it has to do is be under a grand and they're going to have a smash hit.

edit- speaking of hating on stuff, the new model D having an external supply is some low rent bullshit for it being almost four grand. VOS didn't, hell the Dominion doesn't and MFB is practically a one man operation.

Startyde fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 24, 2016

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Startyde posted:

Welp, it's a 12 voice poly. All it has to do is be under a grand and they're going to have a smash hit.

Hell, if it's around $1500 for 12 voices they'll still have a smash hit on their hands since that's on par with the price per voice of the minilogue.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Startyde posted:

edit- speaking of hating on stuff, the new model D having an external supply is some low rent bullshit for it being almost four grand. VOS didn't, hell the Dominion doesn't and MFB is practically a one man operation.

lol no, don't count on it

dsi slashed their prices for the P6 and OB6, guess they are feeling the heat

yeah, wonder why they went for an external supply. nobody loves wallwarts but i guess it might give slightly better margins and less interference

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I heard ~rumors~ it was 10,000 SEK (or ~1100 US MSRP, 8-900 street).

This is a guy on a mailing list who "talked" to a "rep" though so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2016/07/zont-futuristic-pocket-synth-takes-snap-cartridges/

i'm not much for the handheld music devices, but this thing looks pretty slick.